Start by marking “Postcards from Surfers” as Want to Read:

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  350 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
From one of Australia's most celebrated writers comes eleven stories about the complexities of life and love; of looking back and longing; of what it means to be a stranger, on foreign ground and known, told with the piercing familiarity and resonance we have come to expect from Helen Garner. Remarkably honest, often very funny and always woven in ways that surprise, these ...more
167 pages
Published 2010 by Penguin Books (first published January 6th 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Postcards from Surfers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Postcards from Surfers

Michelle
Rating: 3.5 Stars

Penguin Shorts promises readers a way to “fill a gap” between reading different books, offering short stories which can be read on the bus, in a lunch hour or before bedtime. Postcards from Surfers provides just that opportunity – following a young woman as she visits her parents on the Gold Coast.

This is the poignant story of a woman’s life as revealed through a series of postcards written to the mysterious Phillip. This works well as a short story, but part of me would also l
Helen Hagemann
Apr 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
Review by Helen Hagemann
Postcards from Surfers
William Faulkner wrote, ‘With me, a story usually begins with a single idea or memory or mental picture. The writing is simply a matter of working up to that moment, to explain why it happened or what it caused to follow.’

This is a quote equally applied to Helen Garner. She doesn’t bog the reader down with “too much information.” There is always one central idea or single theme running through her short stories. This collection of 11 stories was pub
Hannah Louey
As we’ve already established that Helen Garner is basically my homegirl, or to quote Anne of Green Gables, we’re ‘kindred spirits’ (based on the one and only occasion where I have actually conversed with her). So, while I’m not a big fan of short stories, I thought I’d give her collection of short stories, titled Postcards from Surfers, a go.

Some shorter than other, some without a narrative, some without even a character’s name, all of the stories from Postcards from Surfers deal with longing, l
Amanda
Mar 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not sure why I picked this one up from the library, I mean, it is a collection of short stories! I do not enjoy short stories! Well, unless it is Margaret Atwood, and most of Haruki Murakami (exceptions are needed to prove a rule, after all). Obviously someone else had stepped into the driving seat of my brain on this particular day, and home with me this book did come.
Now, what I am not wanting you to tell people is – I liked it. Shhhh! It’s short stories, this does not happen. But I knew
Christopher Boerdam
I couldn't say what these short stories were about, but who cares, Garner's style effects goose-pimples. Her prose is so sparse, and so deceptively simple - so easy to read - and then, out of nowhere, she throws in a line that floors you: For instance: 'All night I sleep in my bed, The waves roar and hiss, and slam like doors'; and '. . . we put down our glasses, we turned away, we turned to go back to the other place, we turned and went back to the other place, we went without bitterness, humbl ...more
Rich Gamble
Jul 09, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A sometimes interesting, often uninspiring and particularly brief collection of short fiction. One or two of the stories were ok but mostly it was just fluff. For good Australian short fiction from the 80s read 'The Bodysurfers' by Robert Drewe instead.
Jo
Feb 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First Helen Garner I've read - short stories, kind of interesting but didn't really grab me.
Carolyne Lee
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I re-read this after about 25 years. Garner is one of Australia's best writers in my view.
S'hi
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the great joys in a book of short stories, is being able to pick it off the shelf and read just one brief tale to transform your perspective. Helen Garner’s Postcards from Surfers, as the title might suggest, does just that. But it doesn’t just take you out of your own little view of the world. It can also take you deeply into your world, and touch something in you invisible before, but awakened now.

The tale which really made me feel this was “Civilisation and Its Discontents”. In fourtee
Harvard
Picked this up because I loved Monkey Grip. Stories by themselves are so-so, but together they form an interesting catalogue of relationships which are dynamic and malleable. It gives an insight into how we treat each other, what we expect from each other and what happens when the two don't correspond.

Didn't like it so much because I think the repetitiveness of Monkey Grip was what made it so powerful - the repeated occurrences of life, the habits which the reader grew to understand, were what
Peter Langston
Mar 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
A collection of short stories - postcards indeed - reflective of Australian life. I found the quality inconsistent. None were better than the title story which appears first in the collection. The writing is direct and often confrontational, no doubt in an effort to convey its contemporary nature. Perhaps I expected a thread connecting the stories or perhaps I missed it but I found this best suited as a doctor's surgery book, where one grabs a short piece whilst waiting. Don't get me wrong: some ...more
Anastasiia
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were a few well-crafted and beautiful short stories in here, but the majority were a bit of a hit and miss, trying hard to be clever and interesting but unfortunately falling short. I also found that some (well, most) of the stories had graphic and controversial parts in them, but felt out of place.

The eponymous "Postcards from Surfers" story is wonderful, and something that really hit close to home. But other stories, like "Civilisation and its Discontents" didn't really do it for me.
GLF
May 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Easy to read. Some stories were good; other weren't.

I'll probably read another book by her, preferably a novel. I'd like to see something with more continuity where the characters can develop beyond the glimpses in these stories.
Kate
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a 1986 collection of short stories and proof that Helen Garner has been brilliant forever. No one on this earth can describe human relationships like this woman can. She's the best. She could write the ingredients on a mayonnaise jar and I'd be enthralled.
Shannen
Gorgeous, gorgeous, and heartbreaking.
Laurie
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, fiction
enjoyable short stories. 'the life of art' and 'civilisation and its discontents' are stand out for me.
Heather
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty solid collection of stories. Nice reading material for a train trip.
Cathy
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Intriguing collection of short stories, with a couple of real gems in there.
Jake Goretzki
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Decent collection - domestic, mid-life and always with a little menace below the surface. I particularly liked 'All Those Bloody Young Catholics' - superb piece of larrikin sexpest monologue.
Lukewesterland
Jul 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aus
A couple of really great stories, 'In Paris' jumps to mind - overall thought Garner seems to be experimenting - in character, styles of narration, structure - beyond her means.
Brenna Heagney
I didn't love this which is sad because I love Helen!
Nell
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every story is both distinctly Garner and distinctly unique. Helen Garner highlights the beauty in the mundane; she transforms the everyday into something to envy.
Dawn
Had to read and write a literature essay on "Little Helen's Sunday Afternoon".
Antonia Jackson
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great recollections of the 80's experience of young, artistic people mainly Queensland, Melbourne and the Europe stint. No one really grows up. Easy to read and interesting short stories.
Tracey
  • Poor Fellow My Country
  • Johnno
  • The Monkey's Mask
  • By the River
Helen Garner was born in Geelong in 1942. She has published many works of fiction including Monkey Grip, Cosmo Cosmolino and The Children's Bach. Her fiction has won numerous awards. She is also one of Australia's most respected non-fiction writers, and received a Walkley Award for journalism in 1993.

Her most recent books are The First Stone, True Stories, My Hard Heart, The Feel of Stone and Joe
More about Helen Garner

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • You Can't Keep a Good Woman Down: Stories
  • The Last Storyteller: A Novel Of Ireland
  • The Sleepwalker's Guide to Dancing
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Dog's Purpose (A Dog's Purpose, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Temple of My Familiar (The Color Purple Collection)
  • Vengeance Road
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things