Start by marking “Rising Calm (Rising Calm #1)” as Want to Read:
Rising Calm (Rising Calm #1)

Rising Calm (Rising Calm #1)

On Cara Weaver’s first day at her new high school—merely the next in a long line of new schools—she meets two senior boys: James Sable and Crispin Calaway. They’re new too; they’ve been at the school just longer than she has, and they’ve never made an effort to reach out to anyone. Until she comes. When her friends find out, they’re awed. But Cara can't shake the feeling t ...more
Paperback
Published February 14th 2013 by Silver Tongue Press (first published February 13th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Rising Calm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rising Calm

Haley
Feb 01, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Umm... How many stars are you allowed to give your own work? One because you can see every single mistake and imperfection? Five because you wrote a freaking book and love the characters?

Of course I love my book and my characters, but I'm also not going to walk around and pretend it's perfect. I'm sure people will find flaws, and I'm sure I'm one of those people—it's hard not to critique your own writing. Even though I think I should give my story SOME kind of rating because I have read it, afte
Louisa
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Such a great book, there was a bit of a reminder of Twilight in that she meets one of the guys in a science class being the new girl, and then sitting with him, but yeah, this was a great book, really enjoyed it, can't wait for the second one!
Taylor Alexis
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Magical, tasteful, enticing, entrancing, and delicious. This book definitely deserves five stars!!!
Natasha
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So proud of you Haley! I'm super excited to buy this book! My credit card is read to buy it! I love this book, it made me giddy. Want a good time, READ THIS BOOK!! I dare ya! You won't regret it!
Christie Palmer
May 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, 2013
Best line from the book:
I close my eyes briefly and sigh, "My head isn't always my favorite place to be," I tell him. "There's a lot going on in there."
"Then come back out," he urges. "I'm out here, you know." --SIGH

My Review
Rising Calm is a YA book. Cara is a wandering soul that thinks she has finally found the place she belongs. Only to be pulled into another world where she is supposed to a warrior who will save this new world.
I really enjoyed this read, its a great and interesting book wi
Eldarwen
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I took a glimpse into the book when I first got it just to see what would be awaiting me once I finished reading the book I was currently on. The glimpse didn't end until I was done with the whole book, so I think it's safe to say that I was ever so slightly oblivious to everything else around me.

The book is well written and rich in detail, but not oppressively so. The characters are loveable and the easy banter amongst all th
Mary
First, off thank you Goodreads and Ms. Fisher for letting me get to read this wonderful book. When I first received the copy my eyes widened. I mean the thing is HUGE. And I never thought I would be able to read it so quickly and enjoy it so much when I hardly had any idea what this was about.
Rising Calm is one of those books that I want to write: a new world, action and adventure and romance and everything. Suffice it to say that I hardly find any YA like that besides Rising Calm. Manga and a
ReadingToTheStarsAndBack

Read full review at:
ReadingToTheStarsAndBack

After the first couple of chapters, it did seem a little Twilightesque. Heroine walks into school on the first day and immediately she gets the sullen guy talking. Eh? All of the boys seemed to like her straight away. They must all have been in on some secret. All of the friends Cara made thought she was the BOMB. Getting friends back together, and talking to the most HOT boys in school.

I must admit that, I enjoyed the first part of the book more than
Carrie
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Read this one in two days (#blizzardofoz helped)! I really enjoyed your character development and where this story is going. I can't wait to read the next installment.
Ashley Chappell
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Let me start off by saying that the book jacket didn’t even begin to touch the surface of this story. When I read the jacket blurb I was expecting a typical teenager paranormal romance, but that is absolutely not what this is. Cara Weaver is far from your typical flighty boy-crazy teenager and I loved and respected this character almost right off the bat. I was on edge and holding my breath when the tension was high, and nearly in tears when the story turned emotional. It’s been a while since I’ ...more
Mark
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rising Calm is the first book written by author Haley Fisher.
It introduces high school age Cara Weaver just moved to a new town. She adjusts to it well by managing to snag a job at an independent book store in town. Makes friends, in particular a pair of boys named James and Crispin.
Things aren't all good and well for Cara however as she experiences and survives a potentially dangerous incident one night while at work.
Eventually Cara finds herself arriving in a magical world thanks to yet anothe
Heather T
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a ride. I loved this book! The characters were well-rounded. The plot moved along at a great clip - in fact, at every chapter-end, I had to read "just one more" before quitting. Although I would classify this as a fantasy, I thought it was very accessible to anyone who enjoys YA.

I had minor quibbles with a few editing errors (the wrong word used or a punctuation mistake), but given the size of the book, I frankly wouldn't expect it to be *perfect*. There weren't enough errors to detrac
Randi
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-4-reviews
I received this book for an honest review.

This book was not what I was expecting. It was a wonderful surprise!!

This is a story of that fairy tale world I grew up reading about. All of the characters came together so well. The descriptions of the characters, buildings, landscapes, so forth were done very well.

I throughly enjoyed reading this book, it was different from what I have been reading. I have yet to read a story like this that doesn't bore me halfway through it but Rising Calm had me re
Andra Weis
Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received this book from the author in exchange for a review. Thank you very much!!!!
My review:
From the very beginning, this book was engaging. It was a long read, but well worth the time and effort. I enjoyed and appreciated the detailed character development. The book had just the right amount of detail in each adventure to feel and experience the adventure right along with Cara. When I came to the end I was torn….glad to have finished the large book yet I wanted to continue reading about Ca
Wendy
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Of all of the books I've received through the Goodreads.com giveaways, I think I was most excited to win "Rising Calm", by Haley Fisher. The preview sounded like something I would select for myself and enjoy. And I was not disappointed. The story was amazing.

Ms. Fisher has a skill for writing that draws the reader in, wraps the words around and envelopes the imagination. I pictured the bookstore, the kingdom, the characters, and felt their fear and excitement as they faced the perils and joys of
Elizabeth Creel
Nov 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book for an honest review.

I enjoyed reading this book. It was fun, it was exciting, and I genuinely liked the characters. I got really invested in Cara and what happened to her. Plus I thought Crispin and James were hilarious, intentionally or unintentionally. Nothing really happens for the first like, 67 pages of the book, but once you hit that point, you just can't seem to put it down afterwards. I would definitely recommend to anyone who's up for an adventure
Nila
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am not sure how I found this book, but sure am glad I did! A great story, if you love the Twilight Series you will love this story except James is a good guy in this one. A little romance, mystery, magic fantasy a little for whatever in your in the mood for! Definitely leaves you wanting to continue the story with all the characters!! Geared more toward teen readers but I enjoyed it!
CrystalLily
Bethanie Armstrong
Feb 01, 2013
Inge-Lise Goss
Apr 27, 2013
The Perks Of Bein...: FREE YA novel Rising Calm for Review! 18 63 Jul 29, 2013 07:16PM
The Perks Of Bein...: Rising Calm 18 110 Feb 14, 2013 08:11AM
  • From Far Away, Vol. 05
  • 薔薇監獄の獣たち (1)
  • QQ Sweeper 2 (QQ Sweeper, #2)
  • Kieli, Volume 1: The Dead Sleep in the Wilderness
  • 図書館戦争 (図書館戦争, #1)
  • Interred (Chronicles of the Interred, #1)
  • The Young Lady's Chauffeur (Ojōsama No Untenshu, #1)
  • Gozen 0-ji, Kiss shi ni Kite yo #1
  • 神様はじめました 18 [Kamisama Hajimemashita 18]
  • The Young Magician (Legacy, #1)
  • 私のオオカミくん 4 (Watashi no Ookami-kun, #4)
  • マギ 6 (Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic, #6)
  • Dark Tempest (Red Winter Trilogy, #2)
  • Komomo Confiserie 2
  • Tsubasa ALBuM De REProDUCTioNS: Original Art Collection
I live and work in Kansas where I try—and often only succeed through late nights, early mornings, and odd spots of free time—to find the time to write. I have a major book obsession, always have; actually, I think it's more of a story obsession (I love music, movies, and TV shows, too). Reading, though, has always been my passion, so it seems only natural that writing should have followed. Rising ...more
“Secrets have an unfortunate way of spreading far beyond those they were intended for.” 4 likes
“I’m actually here with Crispin. You didn’t forget about your tutoring date with him, did you?”
I wrinkle my nose. “I thought I told him no?”
Just then, Crispin comes into view on his way up the walk.
“I thought I told you no,” I call out to him.
“Ah,” he replies, joining James in the doorway. “You did. But I’ve been told that when a woman says no, she really means yes. So I read between the lines.”
“Well, whoever told you that was wrong,” I say, trying to regain my composure. “Unless you’re asking that woman if Brad Pitt is sexier than you. In that case, no always means yes.”
Crispin looks faintly amused, but James arches an eyebrow. “Always?” he asks.
Personally I’m not overly fond of Brad Pitt. But I unconvincingly reply, “I’m just telling it like it is.”
James shrugs carelessly. “Well, there’s no accounting for some people’s taste.”
“Amen,” I murmur.”