Start by marking “Saving Ben” as Want to Read:
Saving Ben

Saving Ben

A boy, his sister, and her psychopathic roommate.

A New Year’s Eve party, a missing person, and a single set of footprints in the snow.

Published January 31st 2013 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Saving Ben, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saving Ben

Vicki Willis
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-lendable, 2019
Well, this was a short, fast read. The premise was interesting and the first chapter caught my attention. However, the wealthy, privileged college student with the money and drinking and parties paired with a poor, beautiful girl who wants to move up in society was just so stereotypical, cliched and predictable that it is hard to rate it any higher. I am giving it 3 stars because I wanted to read to the end to see what happened. And then it ended in a way that really didn't make much sense. I wa ...more
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: author-request
I was asked by the author to read and review this book. After a lot of thought, this book is between 3.5 and 4 stars, but much closer to 4 stars.

Saving Ben by Ashley Farely is a new adult book, taking place during college years, a time in which I have a special place in my heart. The book stars Katherine, who seems to have it all-- a wealthy lifestyle and a brother who dotes on her. But her parents have their own issues and have been distant, and she is excited to get out of her brother's protec
Cyndy
Jan 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book is unbelievably AWFUL. The relationship between the brother and sister is pure fantasy. It was free and I had run out of real books so I finished it. I kept waiting for it to get better but what happened was it got worse. The sanctimonious tone of "Kitty" and the smarmy attitude of her brother Ben was bordering on ridiculous. Kitty was supposedly an 18-year old with a 35-year old mentality. She knew everything. WOW. This book was so stupid I'm embarrassed now that I read it. And surely ...more
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
DNF due to heavy handed mediocre writing (all tell no show), unlikable narrator and brother and I had more sympathy for the sociopath.
Cameron Vest
Disappointing

Disappointing

Not well edited at all, the book spends a lot of time setting up a mystery that is never heartily explored. It was obvious and rode heavily on the Charlottesville setting.
Brenda Ayala
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-4-review
Saving Ben made me want to beat people up. Most notably Emma, which I think is probably kind of predictable considering she's a psychopath. She's so damn good at it, she doesn't seem to just be a character in a book. I was paranoid that I would run into a girl like this in real life—although I think I'm safe because I'm not rich enough to have designer clothes for her to steal.

Emma was psycho. She was diabolical and evil and a monster and every other word you can come up with. Huge commendation
Jess
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rich white kids with rich white kid problems... oh and a psychopathic girlfriend from a poor family attempting to sleep with every man she encounters. You know, normal Tuesday shenanigans. Blah!
Michelle
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Had a hard time getting into this book. Ending was not believable and felt like author was in a rush to finish.
Imani
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free-ebooks
This is not a love story or romance. This is a story about a brother, a sister and her psychotic roommate.

I really enjoyed Saving Ben. Saving Ben is about Katherine in her first year in college with her older brother who's two years in to college. This story does cover almost two years but not in a way that annoys you.

The problem of the story is Emma and what happened to her. Because in the first chapter it is Ben and Katherine seeing footprints out into a dock with a boathouse, where Emma presu
Teresa
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: current-fiction
Katherine enters her first year of college believing that her biggest problem will be trying to keep her older brother Ben from scaring off potential love interests. They grew up in a wealthy family but they've always watched out for one another due to their often-absent and inattentive parents. Rather than rooming with a friend from high school Katherine opts for entering the roommate lottery and it appears that she's done well when she meets Emily. Emily is stunningly beautiful, friendly...lit ...more
Clare Snow
Jul 21, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was painful to read. The writing was clunky - I never got lost in the story like I do in well written books. The mystery was derivative and I'm surprised I didn't DNF. But I struggled through right to the very last excruciating word. It was free on Kindle - what did I expect?

I do like the cover.
Janet Eshenroder
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
One and a half stars. A Kindle free book. It kept me busy on a trip. Grew a lot more boring when I wasn't trapped in an airport.
Savvy
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: weekend-reads
More on HelloYellowRoom.com

Let me begin this review by stating that I read this in a weekend and was thoroughly shocked at how the writing transitioned throughout the book. The dialogue was very uncomfortable at first and seemed forced in writing. I equate it to someone having started writing this in high school and then returned to it several years after college without rereading the beginning and fixing the choppy dialogue.

In Saving Ben we find two unnaturally close pairs of brother-sister si
Stephanie
Jan 30, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just bad.

Shallow characters, no depth - predictable and boring storyline. A waste of a read. I’m so sad to have lost those hours in my life reading this book.
Gina
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Goodreads Description- A boy, his sister, and her psychopathic roommate.

Life is sweet for Katherine Langley, a first-year student at the University of Virginia. She is finally free from the drama of her parents’ dysfunctional marriage and ready to focus on studying to become a nurse. Her brother, Ben, belongs to the hottest fraternity on campus, and her roommate, Emma, is beautiful and charming, a party girl wh
☕ Kimberly
Mar 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Five reasons to curl up with Saving Ben

Katherine Langley wakes on New Year’s Day to find her brother’s girlfriend Emma missing and a single set of footprints leading to the dock on the lake.  Farley then takes us back to when Katherine “Kitty” and her brother Ben met Emma. We spent most of our time learning about Emma and her impact on them as we move towards the footprints in the snow.
The whole time you are reading you will be pondering the question, “Is Emma missing, dead or kidnapped?” It
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
Saving Ben started off okay. I had no idea where the story was going at first, and it was a lot of telling not showing. The entire story is narrated by Katherine. It is just her telling what happened so the telling wasn't as annoying at first, though I do like showing better. At first Katherine is drawn in by Emma, and her brother Ben is instantly attracted to her. Emma right from the start is a little off. She gets more manipulative and such the longer the story goes on.

I was going along with t
Adriane Marshall
Jun 26, 2013 rated it liked it
It is so much fun to read a book that is set where you live! I am from the Richmond area and when I saw that the majority of this book was set in UVA/Charlottesville and Carter's Creek, I was super excited to review it! In fact, traveling between the two, they pretty much drive right past my house!

Anyway, onto the book itself (you know, the important stuff!) Katherine (or Kitty) has a psycho roommate, literally. Emma is controlling about everything, and she has gotten her claws into Kitty's bro
Toni Osborne
Feb 13, 2015 rated it liked it
This contemporary mystery main aim is to highlight the special bond between siblings and to bring focus on the many struggles one can experience during college life. This is a haunting tale of love, loyalty, anger management, substance abuse and betrayal.

Ben and Kitty are the primary players but Emma is the character to watch for. She is Kitty’s bitchy roommate who brought havoc between brother and sister. Without her this story would not have been quite captivating she is portrayed as a complet
Sue McGarvie
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-club
OK, this book is NOT fantasy and yet I consider it fantastic. The perfection with which Ms. Farley introduces the characters to us, it makes them almost real.
Katherine (Kitty) and Ben were part of the family right away. I was able to feel their emotions, experience everything they went through. They are so...human, so believable it is easy to relate them to oneself or someone we know.
Abigail touched my heart and I could perfectly understand Katherine's love for her. Ben's life with its ups and E
Becky Lange
Jan 29, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read but the story was ridiculous. Teenagers acting and speaking/acting like adults. A story line that started off ok and just deteriorated. No good conclusion to anything. And my pet peeve, typos everywhere. It was a free kindle book so I guess you get what you pay for. Do not recommend I’m embarrassed I even spent a night reading it.
Alicia
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

Having read many of Ashley Farley's novels previously I wasn't quite sure what to expect reading what is her debut novel. As most readers are aware, an author's writing gets better over time. So, I made a decision to read this novel as if it were any other debut novel. I didn't have to do keep that decision.

While Ms. Farmer's writing has I proved greatly, if I hadn't known this was her first published novel, I would be writing a very similar review.

The author has a way of pulling the
annemarie_bookaholic
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After reading a lot of the reviews on this one...I find some of them harsh but everyone is entitled to their opinions...
I didn't realize that this was Ashley Farley's debut novel...I actually read it after reading her other books...so I though wow this is different...
To say the least that it was cliche...rich kid goes to University, Katherine...poor kid somehow gets into university, Emma...Katherine's brother, who is a year ahead of her, Ben falls for Emma...I have a feeling Emma stalked him...
E
Julian Caridad
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth the Read

The author captures Emma's personality well enough so the reader gets a sense of how bat shit crazy she is, it was hard to put down at times because of the foreshadowing details. The main character, Katherine, is interesting and witty at times. I did end up laughing out loud several times throughout the book. The only reason I knocked a star was because of all the talk of rich people nonsense details. The details do make for a good visual setting, but it seemed like they were going
Megan
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great!

This book was really good! I wasn’t sure since I got it for free with an Amazon Prime membership(I mean, why would an amazing book be free when they could make money off it??!) but I loved it! It’s actually different from what I usually read but I actually enjoyed it a lot. Just seeing all the characters develop together and thinking about how close they were as kids was sweet. I was confused for a little bit because it gives you a sneak peek at the beginning but then doesn’t wrap back aro
Kathy Downey
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Oh my how we can be so easily manipulated by a strong person who focuses on our vulnerable state. There was so many times this book showed how strong a brother/sister bond can be, but how easily it can be tested and pulled. In the end family is the most valuable connection we have, though often the hardest to keep.
Sherry Bledsoe
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sad and accurate

So many of us know some one: daughter, son, friend, college roomate, and/or co-worker whose story mirrors the plot in this book. To say it is an epidemic is quite an understatement but it is safe to say we are a Country whose face has turned away from God and focuses on the quick psychotropic quick fixes. This has allowed our culture a "cop out" and removes the blame from our doorstep. We should be ashamed that rather than actively seek a solution we are still systemically seeki
Carly Severino
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Full thoughts forthcoming on the blog, but here's a taste:
"Quite simply, this book was so bad it was good in a way that can only be described as a strange fusion of Jerry Springer, Dr. Phil, and Pretty Little Liars."
Leigh Goldian
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So captivating!

This book totally sucked me in! At first I thought it was just going to be another romance novel, but it’s so much more than that! I don’t want to spoil it for anybody else, so I won’t say anymore. Just read it!
Stephanie
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a great summer beach read...the characters were people I enjoyed spending time with, the story kept my attention and the writing was good. This was a free Kindle read, and I am going to borrow another of hers...it is light and entertaining reading!
Read 4 Review: R4R - Saving Ben (New Adult) by Ashley Farley 8 62 Sep 15, 2013 03:45PM
  • Lennon's Jinx (Lennon's Girls, #1)
  • Play for Me
  • Deadly Deception (A Deadly Novel, Book One)
  • Girls Love Travis Walker
  • By a Thread (By a Thread, #1)
  • The Space Between (Space, #1)
  • Coffee and Cockpits
  • All for Anna (Letting Go #1)
  • Positively Mine (Freshman Forty, #1)
  • Sweet Cider
  • The Brevity of Roses (Bay of Dreams, #1)
  • Banished from Grace (Fall from Grace #1)
  • Reinventing Claire
  • Metal Urge
  • Bring Me Back
  • One Week
  • Forever My Lady
  • Sex, Doug, and a Rocky Road

Ashley Farley writes books about women for women. Her characters are mothers, daughters, sisters, and wives facing real-life issues. Her goal is to keep you turning the pages until the wee hours of the morning. If her story stays with you long after you've read the last word, then she's done her job.

After her brother died in 1999 of an accidental overdose, she turned to writing as a way of re
“So many aspects of nature restore the soul, but for me, being on the water is the most cleansing.” 2 likes
“It’s not so much what happens to us in life; it’s the good grace we show in reacting to those experiences.” 1 likes