Start by marking “Tempests and Slaughter (The Numair Chronicles #1, Tortall #8)” as Want to Read:
Tempests and Slaughter (The Numair Chronicles #1, Tortall #8)

Tempests and Slaughter

(The Numair Chronicles #1)

4.10  ·  Rating details ·  8,893 ratings  ·  1,740 reviews
Arram. Varice. Ozorne. In the first book in the Numair Chronicles, three student mages are bound by fate . . . fated for trouble.

Arram Draper is a boy on the path to becoming one of the realm’s most powerful mages. The youngest student in his class at the Imperial University of Carthak, he has a Gift with unlimited potential for greatness–and for attracting danger. At his
Hardcover, Collector's Edition, 465 pages
Published February 6th 2018 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Tempests and Slaughter, please sign up.
Bailey It helps knowing the characters beforehand, but you don't really HAVE to. For example, I started with the Kel books. (That's Protector of the Small.)…moreIt helps knowing the characters beforehand, but you don't really HAVE to. For example, I started with the Kel books. (That's Protector of the Small.) It was obvious that there were things I should know from the Alanna and Daine books, but I did okay. You'll be fine if you don't read anything else first, but since we'll be waiting ages for this book, you have time...
The chronology is as follows:
ALANNA: Song of the Lioness series
1. Alanna: The First Adventure
2. In the Hand of the Goddess
3. The Woman Who Rides like a Man
4. Lioness Rampant
(This book will happen somewhere in here, between Alanna and Daine, so really, SOTL is the only one before it, though The Immortals may be helpful too. I couldn't say, because the book isn't published for me to read yet.)
DAINE: The Immortals series
1. Wild Magic
2. Wolf-Speaker
3. Emperor Mage (in this one we get some information on Numair's relationship with some characters from his past, like Emperor Ozorne, Varice Kingsford, and Lindhall Reed.)
4. The Realms of the Gods
4. Lady Knight
ALY: Daughter of the Lioness series
1. Trickster's Choice
2. Trickster's Queen
(There's only two of these, unlike the other series.)
BEKA: this one has a series name but I don't know what it is. It's a prequel to all of this, set about 200 years before it all. It's about an ancestor of George's and more or less outside of the cycle, though we do learn a bit about George as well as Alanna's cat Faithful.)
1. Terrier
2. Bloodhound
3. Mastiff
TORTALL: this is a collection of short stories, some of which are set in Tortall. Just as few little extras.
The bottom line is that it could be helpful to read some of her other series, but likely not necessary. However, I would highly recommend all of the books I listed above. (Tamora Pierce has also written some other books in another world, but personally, I enjoyed the Tortall cycle better than the Emelan cycle.)(less)
Bailey Goodreads says 2016, but I saw 2017 on the Tamora Pierce wiki. I couldn't find anything on Ms. Pierce's actual website. I don't know which is right,…moreGoodreads says 2016, but I saw 2017 on the Tamora Pierce wiki. I couldn't find anything on Ms. Pierce's actual website. I don't know which is right, but either way, it's too darn far away! (I have an unhealthy obsession with Tortall. Don't mind me :P)(less)

Emily May
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult, 2018
I initially rated this four stars but did not write a review. For some reason, I wasn't ready. I had to go think about it some more before I could put my overall thoughts into words.

And that's when I realized something: I was rating this based on what I wanted it to be, what I was sure it would be before I started the book, and just generally what I expected from Tamora Pierce. But - and it pains me to say it - this is just not a four star book.

Don't get me wrong, there are definitely enjoyable
Danielle
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Orignal Post Aug 30, 2013

Edit 7/11/14
The publication date got pushed back to 2015?

Edit 1/31/15
Excuse me? 2016? Is this a cruel joke?

Edit 8/31/15
It's been TWO YEARS since I found out about this book and there's still no official publication date.

Edit 1/7/2016
GoodReads hasn't updated it yet, but 2017 is the new expected publication year. 2017.

There will now be three books instead of two. BUT COME ON!!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
We got a cool poster in the back of the book!

I enjoyed this book but I do believe it could have been shorter with just the things that were in book. I'm hoping the next book will blow this one out of the water.

My favorite character is, Preet the bird. You will love him too! Trust me =)

I did love the other characters too. They were a lot of fun.

But for the love of all that's holy! WHY did I have to hear about Arram talking about his little boy peen! Yes, the teachers are supposed to give them
jessica
if ‘harry potter’ and ‘the name of the wind’ had an illegitimate child, it would be this book. the kind of child that bounced back and forth between homes because it couldnt decide which parent it liked better. this book is that child.

sadly, the fact that this story felt like a knock off of others wasnt the only thing that bothered me. its hard to believe, but there wasnt a central plot line. i mean, there was a lot going on in this - enough to fill 480 pages worth - but it was all filler. ther
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
On sale now! 3.5 stars, rounding up. Final review, first published on Fantasy Literature:

description

With Tempests and Slaughter, Tamora Pierce launches a new series set in her beloved Tortall universe, which includes over twenty books. Pierce backtracks several years to relate the youthful experiences of Arram Draper, who plays a key role in other TORTALL books, particularly the IMMORTALS series, as the powerful mage Numair.

When Tempests and Slaughter begins, Arram is a ten year old boy, just beginning a n
Rachel E. Carter
Nov 07, 2014 added it
Shelves: nfm
12/19/17 Update: GUYS, I REPEAT, I HAVE AN ARC, AGHHHHHHH: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc5Yq5RDk... 😍📚😍 MY LIFE IS NOW COMPLETE.

6/20/17 Update: THE COVER IS GLORIOUS. AND THE PREORDER IS NOW UP ON AMAZON: http://amzn.to/2tKJpUk >> And yes, I'm that girl, the one that met Tammy (finally!) at a convention and broke into tears. Because this author is my hero and the reason I write.

description
(ignore how bloody awful I look in this pic, haha!)

I have been waiting for this book for YEARS.

And I mean YEARS.
Yusra  ✨
Let us begin this review by drawing to attention something pretty insane. Something I don’t see in any of the reviews I’ve read but guys, it’s so apparent.

Tempests and Slaughter follows the story of young Arram Draper Harry Potter as he studies to become a mage a wizard. He has two friends that accompany him all through his years, a prince named Ozorne Ron Weasley and a clever kitchen mage, Varice Hermione Granger . Arram’s strong abilities catch the eye of the headmaster, Master
Danya
...it's about Numair.

PLEASE TAKE MY MONEY!
Rian *fire and books*
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This isn't really a review, more of a gush.

Okay so Alanna is my girl right? She's my bestie though she doesn't realize it. But Arram Draper has not so subtly stolen into my dark little heart and set it on 🔥FIRE🔥.

First off, thank you Tamora Pierce for like, all the books. BUT THIS ONE is precious. Not because it's Numair's backstory, but this book, though completely new to me, felt like coming home.

I see Ozorne as a teenager, I see Arram learning how special he is, I see gods and their immorta
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/02/04/...

Tempest and Slaughter was my first Tamora Pierce novel, and I loved it. The story follows protagonist Arram Draper, a gifted 10-year-old mage whose power rivals even that of students almost twice his age at the prestigious Imperial University of Carthak. But when his lack of training eventually leads to the accidental flooding of a classroom, it is swiftly decided that special arrangements must be made for Arram.

Suddenly,
Sabrina The Trash Queen
Mar 08, 2018 marked it as to-read
I never read anything by Tamora Pierce ever!!
I’m about to change that! Soon.

🍂An book about a group of friends in a magic school? Sign me in!
YourFriendlyNeighborhoodSpidey
OMG, OMG, OMG, NUMAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Numair BEFORE Daine, at that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Helena of Sparta ✰
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well, I finally understand the massive amounts of Tamora Pierce-hype! This was so good! The writing style was lovely and the world building was so expansive!!! I loved the magic system, as well, where everyone had different strengths in regards to the Gift. This is the first novel that's given me true Harry Potter-vibes, as it revolves around a magical school, too.

And can we talk about the talking animal gods? From hippos to crocodiles, I adored this fun-type of mythology! The Ancient Roman-obse
Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, fantasy
OMGOMGOMG I NEED THIS SO BAD IT'S NOT EVEN FUNNY
-----

Ugh you guys I am so ashamed that this book took me so long to read. Tamora Pierce has been my favorite author ever since I picked up Trickster’s Choice many years ago. Of course I was pissed to find out that I had basically ruined a lot of things for myself for picking up that duology first but I had no idea at the time! I spend the next few years DEVOURING every other book written by this gem of a lady. Alanna, Kel, Daine, Aly….all of these
Nancy
Oh, whoa.
I love my kid.

SOMEONE HOLD ME

HE'S GETTING A BOOK. NUMAIR IS GETTING HIS OWN BOOK.

AND IT LOOKS LIKE IT MIGHT POSSIBLY BE A SERIES.

SOMEONE HOLD ME
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
If you have read the Immortals series by Tamara Pierce is Numair Salmalín is a familiar name. In her new series, The Numair Chronicles do we get to know Numair Salmalín before he became a famous mage. When he was still Attam Draper.

Tempests and Slaughter is the first new book in a new series by Tamara Pierce, and when I got the chance to read this book couldn't I turn it down. And, I'm glad that I decided to go for the book because Pierce has written a fabulous YA fantasy book that can be read
Greyson [Use Your Words]
The Numair Chronicles Series Ratings:
Tempests and Slaughter: ★★★★
The Exile's Gift: Possibly TBR

Thank you to Netgalley for providing me an advanced reader copy in exchange for my honest review.

It’s just as Master Sebo says, Arram decided during their ride home. Each bit of stone tossed into the river creates ripples, which create still more, which intersect with other ripples, each making a new pattern in the water. There is no way to tell what might result, once you pick up a stone and throw i
Suzanne
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5*

This is going to be an extra small review as I do not have power thanks to the Nor’easter and am doing this on my 4G and don’t want to lose more battery life. Absolutely enjoyed this wonderful mage story! The main trio of characters was entertaining and the dialogue and plot in this story is so amusing. The pages flew by because of the entertainment of the plot.

My quick and simple overall: entertaining and a great mage story!
Sara
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Tempests and Slaughter is my first foray into the world of Tamora Pierce, and I initially liked the idea of a magical school and a powerful mage with a knack for attracting trouble. It sounded interesting, but unfortunately it just didn’t grab my attention like I thought it would.

There’s a great deal of world building throughout book, which thoroughly explains the use of magic etc. throughout the world and really helped me visuali
Justine
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read, audiobook
My first book by Tamora Pierce! I was so happy to hear that Tempests and Slaughter could be an entry point to Pierce's extensive Tortall universe, because I have been wanting to try one of her books for ages.

I ended up quite loving this book. I will be completely honest, this isn't a story with a central conflict to be resolved. It is pretty much a character story about three friends at a magic school. The thing is, I didn't care because I loved those characters so much and was quite happy to j
ambsreads
Thank you so much to Hachette Australia for sending me a copy of Tempests & Slaughter in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts are my own and receiving a copy of the finished book does not affect what I think.

YOU CAN ALSO FIND MY REVIEW FOR TEMPESTS AND SLAUGHTER ON MY BLOG

Tempests & Slaughter took me a long time to get through. It wasn’t even the biggest book I have read but due to the info dumping of the content, it really felt like a drag in some parts. By some parts, I mean a
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
★★★★☆
The Imperial University of Carthak is a prestigious school, educating the brightest adolescent Mages throughout the kingdom, including promising young mage Arram Draper, the ten year old son of a thread merchant. Mages are a revered member of the community, educated in the artistry of healing, spell casting and the combative arts. Arram Draper is an intelligent, gentle young boy and an advanced learning academic of The Imperial University of Carthak.

Prince Ozorne is an interesting character
Kogiopsis
Apr 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: galleys, reviewed
A preface to this review: it’s not hyperbole to say that this is the book I have been waiting longer for than any other. I first read Tamora Pierce’s work in the early 2000s, and I remember being thrilled when Lady Knight came out in hardcover in 2002. It’s safe to say I’ve been anticipating the promised ‘Young Numair book’ for around fifteen years - over half my lifespan.

And now it’s here and… I can’t help feeling like if I hadn’t been anticipating it, I wouldn’t particularly care.

Here’s the th
Sam Maggs
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
**Spoiler-free review!** I think the first time I read about the Young Numair trilogy was on Tammy's "Upcoming Books" page way back in 2003, when I was 14 years old. I'm 28 now, and I can say honestly: this book completely lived up to half a lifetime's worth of anticipation.

Tempests and Slaughter brought back all the magic of the Lioness and Immortals quartets for me. It's no secret that I'm a huge Tamora Pierce fan, and Numair is my forever #1 man (hello, he's a Goldblum lookalike), but I admit
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
Apr 11, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy-high
11/21/16 update: NEW TITLE. and 2018 release!!

edit 10/3: IT'S NOT JUST A DUOLOGY, IT'S GONNA BE A TRILOGY!

WOOOOO THERE'S A LEGIT TITLE!!

& WOOOO IT'S GONNA BE A SERIES!!
Alaina
This is my first book by Tamora Pierce, and I honestly really liked it. It has been sitting in my room since the day I got it.. but never opened it. In Tempests and Slaughter you will meet Arram, Varice, and Ozorne. If you think this trio reminds you of another famous trio, aka harry freaking potter, then you'd be thinking like I did.

Low-key, this was basically a version of harry potter to me. I liked it for that reason but it felt like I was reading something I've already read before. I will a
Short  Reviews
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
DNF at 255 pages.

Don't flame me yall, this book wasn't the worst I've read.

The writing is good, I can envision what is happening throughout the story, but for some reason the main character just... bores me. And for me, if the main character can't suck me in, the story won't be enjoyable.

Arram Drapper - the main character, is already called out as a chosen one somewhere in the book, his power is so extraordinary, and the author mentions about a dozen times that he's so young compared to the rest
Anne Osterlund
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Arram hates being bored.

Fortunately the mages at the Imperial University don't believe in holding students back. Instead, they toss Arram into individualized classes, along with Varice--the girl Arram intends to one day marry--and Ozorne, the heir--many times removed--to the Carthak throne. One day Arram, Varice, and Ozorne will practice magic in a cave on behalf of the empire.

Maybe. If Arram can avoid flooding or burning down the University by accident. And Ozorne's occasional weird moods. And
Mel Anie
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who likes fantasy with good dose of humor
Shelves: 2018, fantasy, ya, young-adult
Rating: 3,8

This book took me quite a while to finish. There were several different factors which made me put this book down so it took me 3 weeks. Don't get me wrong, Tempests and Slaughter turned out to be good, but not great, read.

Good points:

Tamora Pierce made an outstanding job with world building and character creation. Both were unique. Characters are funny and capturing.

I truly liked magic system in this one. There is a huge variety - one magician can learn many different skills
I am a terrible fantasy fan. Why? Because I’ve never read a novel by Tamora Pierce.

I am definitely going to have to correct that mistake by attempting to read her entire Tortall series, because, oh gosh, Tempests and Slaughter was magnificent.

In Tempests and Slaughter, Pierce returns to the very early days of her Tortall series by focusing on the childhood, and eventual rise, of the powerful mage, Numair Salmalín, who is introduced in Wild Magic (Immortals, #1). Originally known as Arram Draper,
  • Tortall: A Spy's Guide
  • The Golden Country (Pegasus, #3)
  • La Belle Sauvage (The Book of Dust, #1)
  • Closer to the Chest (The Herald Spy, #3)
  • Fire and Heist
  • Dawn Study (Soulfinders, #3; Study, #6)
  • The Brightest Fell (October Daye, #11)
  • Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10)
  • Into the Bright Unknown (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #3)
  • Missing
  • Den of Wolves (Blackthorn & Grim, #3)
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
  • Thick as Thieves (The Queen's Thief, #5)
  • Silence Fallen (Mercy Thompson, #10)
  • Cast in Deception (Chronicles of Elantra, #13)
  • Etched in Bone (The Others, #5)
  • Untitled (Stolen Crowns, #1)
Hey, folks! I just discovered that apparently I have given some very popular books single-star ratings--except I haven't. How do I know I haven't? Because I haven't read those books at all. So before you go getting all hacked off at me for trashing your favorites, know that I've written GoodReads to find out what's going on.

I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join gro

The Numair Chronicles (2 books)
  • The Exile's Gift (The Numair Chronicles, #2)
“Don't make me regret taking you on. If I get irritated, I might drown you a little bit.” 4 likes
“When we return--when I have delivered our discovery--I will give you a book to read about a thing called wild magic," she said drily. "I wouldn't talk about it in the university. It's supposed to be an old wives' tale. Well, I am an old wife. You might be interested, that's all.” 3 likes