Start by marking “The Haunting of Torre Abbey: A Novel of Sherlock Holmes” as Want to Read:
The Haunting of Torre Abbey: A Novel of Sherlock Holmes

The Haunting of Torre Abbey: A Novel of Sherlock Holmes

"Watson, do you believe in ghosts?"

With this question, Sherlock Holmes shatters the calm of a quiet evening in their London flat and, with Dr. John Watson at his side, embarks upon a particularly strange case. Holmes has received a request for aid from Lord Charles Cary, whose family is seemingly being threatened by ghosts in and around the family manor. The manor is Torr
Published April 1st 2000 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Haunting of Torre Abbey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Haunting of Torre Abbey

Stephen Robert Collins
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This first came out in 2000 this new edition reprint it's only take 18 years..From an American author who lives in New York. We all know that Holmes does not believe in ghosts so why would ask Watson if he did?
Set in haunted Abby danger & murder but Ghosts?
This version of this SH has the better cover with both the Ghosts on it.
Nancy Oakes
Feb 12, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: absolutely nobody
Holmes and Watson take on the case of a haunted Abbey, the private home of the Cary family, in Torquay. Strange occurrences have the inhabitants of the house absolutely petrified for their safety. Holmes & Watson rush to Devon, and even they are mystified by some bizarre happenings -- none the least of which is murder.

This falls into the category of worst Holmes pastiches ever written. I figured out the story in no time flat, although the author kept it going on and on with needless scenes,
Stephen Robert Collins
The ghost of a headless Monk seen by both the sister & her brother Charles Cray has Holmes rush to sea side City of Torquay to Torre Abby on cold wet night in October rushing on train summed to save them but who is in danger from a dead Monk?
Fred Hughes
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great story in the contemporary canon of Sherlock Holmes.

At a daunting Abbey there appears to be ghostly happening and Sherlock is brought in to get to the bottom of what is happening. Soon bodies start falling and the solution.

A great read.
Maureen Wattelet
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
As a Sherlock Holmes purist I was curious to see it this author would carry forward in the style of Doyle. Unfortunately it was way too "flowery" IMO. Not enough focus on the mystery; too much focus on Watson getting caught up in emotions. (Yes, I know he was definitely more emotional than Holmes in the original stories, but perhaps because the author needed to drag this out to novel length there was SO MUCH exposition.) I would have preferred a more in depth mystery with interesting clues that ...more
Rose
May 10, 2018 marked it as tried-to-read
Shelves: holmes
Good characterization, some neat layers to Holmes -- and a really fun idea (Holmes & Watson investigating a family living in a potentially haunted house). Alas: the pacing killed this for me. I gave up less than a hundred pages from the end because nearly nothing had happened yet.

(I did skip ahead to the end to see how it all turned out. A good solution, but not enough plot even leading right up to the end to have made finishing the book worthwhile.)
Connie
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sherlock Holmes has received an urgent request for aid from The Lord Cary, who's home Torre Abbey is being tormented by phantoms and strange occurrences that leave the ladies of the house terrified.
As Holmes and Watson's investigations uncover a house full of secrets and lies, will they be able to unmask the culprit before the murders begin.
A fast easy read that I enjoyed.
Kendra Wilde
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Well Done!

Though I say that, I can't say that I found the plot device as compelling as I expected. However, both Holmes and Watson were true to form and I enjoyed their interactions far more than the ghost story. I did realize who the perpetrator had to be fairly early on, though that is no insult to the plot itself; I've read a great many mysteries!

Look forward to the next book by Bugge.
Courtney Marshall
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sherlockian
I'm having a hard time figuring out why I didn't love this book. It felt a lot like the author was trying to capture the writing style of Doyle instead of embracing her own. This made the book feel awkward. However, the story was fun and the pacing solid.
Denise
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent, well-written Sherlock Holmes story. The author has Doyle's style down pretty good. A bit more Watson than Holmes throughout the tale but I thought this was one of the best down pastiches I've read in the Titan series.
Mark Levandoski
A good addition to the growing number of novels.
Mark
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
solid sherlock
Calvin Daniels
as are many SH books a solid 3.5. Did have the bad guy figured early though.
Ryan Malik
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent addition to the Holmes collection. A fun, spooky ghostly mystery.
Ann
Jun 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson are summoned to Devon at the request of Lord Charles Carey. He lives in a twelfth century abbey with his mother and sister. He thinks they are being haunted by an evil entity. Holmes and Watson soon get things sorted out but not before some exciting adventures. This was a pretty good "Holmes" book. The wording and dialogue was fairly well done and the story itself was reminiscent of Sir Conan-Doyle's work. Very well done.
Missmath144
Jan 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Now that Sherlock Holmes is out of copyright, Carole Buggé has taken up the torch with her own Holmes series, starting with the Star of India and this second novel, The Haunting of Torre Bugge. Enjoyable!
Lawrence
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable new SHERLOCK HOLMES story.
Art
Aug 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Not as good as the canon of original Sherlock Holmes stories written by Conan Doyle. But, this book is fun and worthy of the time it takes to read it.
Deb