Start by marking “The Haunting of Torre Abbey: A Novel of Sherlock Holmes” as Want to Read:
The Haunting of Torre Abbey: A Novel of Sherlock Holmes

The Haunting of Torre Abbey: A Novel of Sherlock Holmes

(The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Titan Books #15)

"Watson, do you believe in ghosts?"

With this question, Sherlock Holmes shatters the calm of a quiet evening in their London flat and, with Dr. John Watson at his side, embarks upon a particularly strange case. Holmes has received a request for aid from Lord Charles Cary, whose family is seemingly being threatened by ghosts in and around the family manor. The manor is Torr
Published April 1st 2000 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Haunting of Torre Abbey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Haunting of Torre Abbey

Start your review of The Haunting of Torre Abbey: A Novel of Sherlock Holmes
Stephen Robert Collins
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This first came out in 2000 this new edition reprint it's only take 18 years..From an American author who lives in New York. We all know that Holmes does not believe in ghosts so why would ask Watson if he did?
Set in haunted Abby danger & murder but Ghosts?
This version of this SH has the better cover with both the Ghosts on it.
Nancy Oakes
Feb 12, 2008 rated it it was ok
Holmes and Watson take on the case of a haunted Abbey, the private home of the Cary family, in Torquay. Strange occurrences have the inhabitants of the house absolutely petrified for their safety. Holmes & Watson rush to Devon, and even they are mystified by some bizarre happenings -- none the least of which is murder.

This falls into the category of worst Holmes pastiches ever written. I figured out the story in no time flat, although the author kept it going on and on with needless scenes, incl
Stephen Robert Collins
The ghost of a headless Monk seen by both the sister & her brother Charles Cray has Holmes rush to sea side City of Torquay to Torre Abby on cold wet night in October rushing on train summed to save them but who is in danger from a dead Monk?
Mark
Talk about legacy authors...Carole Bugge has taken off with a continuation of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes about a century after the last published piece...She's done several and this is the 1st of hers I've read...Decent maintenance of characterization, setting, plotting tone and tenor to the original as Holmes and Watson are called to the Devon countryside to rescue one of the landed gentry from hauntings of the estate that threatens the family...Decent! ...more
Fred Hughes
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great story in the contemporary canon of Sherlock Holmes.

At a daunting Abbey there appears to be ghostly happening and Sherlock is brought in to get to the bottom of what is happening. Soon bodies start falling and the solution.

A great read.
Christopher
Atmospheric pastiche

Solid plot and well conjured atmosphere even if the solution is a bit predictable. A couple unforced errors that I’ve found common to many Holmes pastiches such as what I call the “Horny Watson”- Watson must fall in love with some woman during the story despite such an infatuation being rare in the canon and the . . .

SPOILER

Pretending to leave to lure the villain out of hiding, which, based on Walton’s publication of Hound, must be known to every villain out there.

Otherwise,
Rose
May 10, 2018 marked it as tried-to-read
Shelves: holmes
Good characterization, some neat layers to Holmes -- and a really fun idea (Holmes & Watson investigating a family living in a potentially haunted house). Alas: the pacing killed this for me. I gave up less than a hundred pages from the end because nearly nothing had happened yet.

(I did skip ahead to the end to see how it all turned out. A good solution, but not enough plot even leading right up to the end to have made finishing the book worthwhile.)
Rachel Bridgeman
We all know that Sherlock's central tenant is that, whenever you remove everything that is impossible, what is left, must be the truth, no matter how improbable.

So how does he rationalise and deal with ghosts?

There must be another angle which he and Watson need to consider, another motive behind why this is occurring to the brother and sister, being beleagured by a headless monk.

You immediately think that there must be an inheritence or something valuable at stake as Watson goes all mooney eyed
Maureen Wattelet
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
As a Sherlock Holmes purist I was curious to see it this author would carry forward in the style of Doyle. Unfortunately it was way too "flowery" IMO. Not enough focus on the mystery; too much focus on Watson getting caught up in emotions. (Yes, I know he was definitely more emotional than Holmes in the original stories, but perhaps because the author needed to drag this out to novel length there was SO MUCH exposition.) I would have preferred a more in depth mystery with interesting clues that ...more
Annabel_Hawkins
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Far from the worst Holmes pastiche I've ever read, but I preferred her other one.
Half the text of this one was Holmes impressing people with his skills as if it was just a parlor trick at a party, and then feigning modesty while Watson and co. stood shocked and begged him to explain how he reached his conclusions only for Holmes to---wait for it---smugly recite how he figured out the things that he did.
MH
May 21, 2022 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Holmes and Watson spend time in a haunted estate, where there are murders, a seance, and numerous supernatural sightings. It's well-paced, and not badly written, but there are a number of problems that stack up: I'm not sure what Holmes does all day during his time at the Abbey - they have a meal, look at a building, have another meal, and go to bed (where they are awakened by a "blood-curdling scream" three nights in a row); the first death is almost immediately ignored; Bugge gets very repetit ...more
Connie
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sherlock Holmes has received an urgent request for aid from The Lord Cary, who's home Torre Abbey is being tormented by phantoms and strange occurrences that leave the ladies of the house terrified.
As Holmes and Watson's investigations uncover a house full of secrets and lies, will they be able to unmask the culprit before the murders begin.
A fast easy read that I enjoyed.
Kendra Wilde
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Well Done!

Though I say that, I can't say that I found the plot device as compelling as I expected. However, both Holmes and Watson were true to form and I enjoyed their interactions far more than the ghost story. I did realize who the perpetrator had to be fairly early on, though that is no insult to the plot itself; I've read a great many mysteries!

Look forward to the next book by Bugge.
Courtney Marshall
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sherlockian
I'm having a hard time figuring out why I didn't love this book. It felt a lot like the author was trying to capture the writing style of Doyle instead of embracing her own. This made the book feel awkward. However, the story was fun and the pacing solid. ...more
Denise
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent, well-written Sherlock Holmes story. The author has Doyle's style down pretty good. A bit more Watson than Holmes throughout the tale but I thought this was one of the best down pastiches I've read in the Titan series. ...more
Antoinette
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Sherlock Holmes adventure set in Torquay, England. The Cary family, resident in Torre Abbey, is being threatened by ghosts in and around the abbey. Holmes and Watson are summoned ton to solve the mystery.
Entertaining and true to the essence of Homes and Watson.
Symone
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
The story was pretty good and felt like a Sherlock Holmes mystery, if a bit predictable.
The one huge annoyance of mine was calling the Foxhounds, dogs, throughout their part in the story. They should be referred to as hounds.
Mark Levandoski
A good addition to the growing number of novels.
Ryan Malik
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent addition to the Holmes collection. A fun, spooky ghostly mystery.
Calvin Daniels
as are many SH books a solid 3.5. Did have the bad guy figured early though.
Jessica
Jan 23, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My fav character was tragically killed off, other than that I liked the story alot.
Chrisangel
May 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
I've read quite a few modern day Sherlock Holmes novels and wasn't too impressed but this one's a winner! ...more
Summers
Jul 16, 2021 rated it liked it
Always enjoy finding a new Sherlock Holmes author. Good reading but not edge of your seat stuff. i guessed much of the outcome before revealed. Maybe closer to 3.5 stars or so.
Malcolm Douglas
Oct 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
A good, entertaining Holmes story, much in the style of Conan Doyle himself. I did manage to work out the ending mid-tale, but still enjoyed the journey. A good addition to my Holmes collection.
Oh, Darling
3,5*
The writing was good but it was just TOO LONG. Not enough plot for 300 pages.
Patrick Hayes
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A very enjoyable read with Holmes taking a case that goes against all he believes--a haunting!

Holmes, with Watson in tow, investigate the "Haunting of Torre Abbey." The Cary family has several odd quirks, though none over the top, and several secrets they're keeping from the detective as well as from each other.

A solid read with some very good thrills and surprises. I haven't read The Star of India by author Bugge, but now I will seek it out.

If you're a fan of Holmes and are looking for a new
Ann
Jun 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson are summoned to Devon at the request of Lord Charles Carey. He lives in a twelfth century abbey with his mother and sister. He thinks they are being haunted by an evil entity. Holmes and Watson soon get things sorted out but not before some exciting adventures. This was a pretty good "Holmes" book. The wording and dialogue was fairly well done and the story itself was reminiscent of Sir Conan-Doyle's work. Very well done. ...more
John Carter
I'll reserve judgement until I'm a little farther along. But not unauthentic-sounding so far.

Once finished I would still say the same, but I'd modify it to "not *too* unauthentic-sounding". Watson spends entirely too much time talking about his blushes. (And I figured it out before Watson did.)
Alex
May 05, 2022 rated it liked it
A slightly disappointing pastiche of Sherlock Holmes, with an attempt at mixing logical and supernatural elements in the vein of Hound of the Baskervilles. I did enjoy elements of the book, but it wasn't a favourite. ...more
Missmath144
Jan 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Now that Sherlock Holmes is out of copyright, Carole Buggé has taken up the torch with her own Holmes series, starting with the Star of India and this second novel, The Haunting of Torre Bugge. Enjoyable!

• The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Scroll of the Dead
  • The Labyrinth of Death (Sherlock Holmes)
  • Dead Man's Folly (Hercule Poirot, #28)
  • Sherlock Holmes & The Three Winter Terrors
  • The Back-to-Front Murder (Sherlock Holmes)
  • Sherlock Holmes and The Beast of the Stapletons
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Revenge from the Grave
  • Gods of War (Sherlock Holmes)
  • The Breath of God (Sherlock Holmes)
  • The Christie Affair
  • Sherlock Holmes: Adventures Beyond the Canon
  • Demon (Six Stories, #6)
  • Sherlock Holmes: Adventures Beyond the Canon : Volume III
  • Amongst Our Weapons (Rivers of London, #9)
  • The Diary of Two Nobodies
  • The Classified Dossier: Sherlock Holmes and Count Dracula
  • The Adventure of the Peerless Peer
  • The Legacy of Deeds (Sherlock Holmes)

The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Titan Books (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The War of the Worlds
  • The Giant Rat of Sumatra (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Stalwart Companions
  • Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula
  • Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Holmes
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Ectoplasmic Man
  • The Seventh Bullet (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • The Whitechapel Horrors
  • Seance for a Vampire (Dracula Series, #8)
  • The Angel of the Opera