Jump to ratings and reviews

London Steampunk #3

My Lady Quicksilver

Determined to destroy the Echelon she despises, Rosalind Fairchild is on seemingly easy mission. Get in. Uncover the secrets of her brother's disappearance. And get out.

In order to infiltrate the Nighthawks and find their leader, Sir Jasper Lynch, Rosalind will pose as their secretary. But she doesn't count on Lynch being such a dangerously charismatic man, challenging her at every turn, forcing her to re-evaluate everything she knows about the enemy.

He could be her most dangerous nemesis—or the ally she never dreamed existed.

425 pages, Mass Market Paperback

First published October 1, 2013

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Bec McMaster

62 books3,291 followers
Kidnapped by a dread pirate when she was a child, USA Today Bestselling Author Bec McMaster was raised on myth and legend, and offered her younger siblings to the goblin king many a time. Unfortunately, he did not accept.

Now she writes epic fantasy romance with a dark and sexy twist, which is almost as much fun. She has a secret weakness for villainous heroes, wicked fae princes and dangerous vampires, though in all her daydreams, she’s the one rescuing them.

Bec lives happily-ever-after with her very own hero and princess-in-training in the wilds of Australia, where she can often be found drinking tea or plotting her next travel adventure.

Escape the ordinary at www.becmcmaster.com

Join Bec's mailing list at http://eepurl.com/F_LkD for all the latest news on releases, exclusive excerpts, cover reveals, and epilogues.

Newest Release: CROWN OF DARKNESS (Available now)

Next release: MASTER OF STORMS (Legends of the Storm #5--coming January, 2021)

Where to start?

If you want deliciously dark fae princes, then try Dark Court Rising or Court of Dreams.

For sexy dragon shifters, see Legends of the Storm.

Sorcery and magic?
Try the Dark Arts series.

Kick-bustle ladies-saving-the-day steampunk romance?
Then check out London Steampunk and the London Steampunk: The Blue Blood Conspiracy series.

For rocket-fuelled post-apocalyptic romance with a twist on the werewolf theme, then read the Burned Lands.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
98 (2%)
1 star
32 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 428 reviews
Profile Image for Lana Reads.
440 reviews163 followers
August 13, 2020
Holy mother of slow burn and vampires, that was awesome.

I want to write so much and at the same time I don't think I want to, because this book made me emotional, in a good way, and I don't want to spoil it with my words. The author brought together two impossible characters and made them fall in love with each other slowly, but deeply - and she made it so naturally, I couldn't get enough of it!!

I wanted to devour the story as quickly as possible - and yet I didn't want it to end, because it was absolutely deliciously beautiful. I adored how the already created world was expanded here and it made me want more - more of the mechs, more of the techs, more of everything!

Rosalind and Lynch own a piece of my heart now and I will come back to this story in the future, of that I'm sure.
Profile Image for Jill.
600 reviews1,364 followers
September 25, 2013

Sir Jasper Lynch, Master of the Guild of Nighthawks, has three weeks to find Mercury, the leader of the humanist movement responsible for a recent bombing attack against the Echelon. Rosalind Fairchild's younger brother, Jeremy was caught up in the bombing and has now disappeared. Applying for the position as secretary to Lynch may be just the way in to access any information on Jeremy's whereabouts and fate.

This is yet another thoroughly entertaining instalment in the London Steampunk series. Bec McMaster has created a fairly original world here with this series, a mixture of steampunk, paranormal and historical it offers an interesting take on vampires. The blue bloods, the ruling Echelon, afflicted with the craving virus for blood, are not quite vampires in the traditional sense. Humans are the oppressed working classes, slaves and servants.

This third instalment carries on from the previous title Heart of Iron and though it can be read as a standalone, the books are best read in order. This series has been consistently very good. The writing, the world, the plot are all entertaining, well-written and enjoyable. The romance between Lynch and Rosalind builds steadily and the sex scenes are steamy.

My only quibble, is that I would have loved to have seen a bit more of the characters from the previous books. Nevertheless, this is a fantastic read and a great addition to this excellent series.

Steam: 3

ARC courtesy of Sourcebooks (Casablanca) via NetGalley

Profile Image for Birjis.
431 reviews303 followers
May 29, 2020
I'm so happily soaked in gothic fantastical read that I don't want to leave it. After reading 3 books, this series is still getting better. This installment brings another forbidden romance between a police (Nighthawks) and an assassin (a humanist). As talentful Bec McMaster is, this plot has secrets, conflicts and hot romance which is weaved with awe-inspiring scenes. I was immerced.

Rosalind, aka Mercury is the leader of humanists who disguises herself as a secretary to find the whereabouts of her younger brother. Rosalind is a trained assassin who has an abusive past. Her objective towards Bluebloods changes as the story progresses, not all Bluebloods are bad.

Jasper, a Rogue is the commander of the Nighthawks. He is described as cool, disciplined and smart. Jasper finds himself attracted to two women, conflicted by his unexpected outward demeanor.

Compared to the other pairings of the books this pairing was hot and really forward. I wasn't looking forward to Jasper and Rosalind's pairing but this book surprised me. Jaspers character was an enigma to me. He is so nonchalant yet caring. I love Jasper's interactions with Mercury and Mrs. Marberry. The cleverness of Mercury and Mrs. Merberry's smartness are mostly what that keeps the story addicting. I like that Rosalind's secret wasn't revealed soon. Both Jasper and Rosalind have a past, they are lonely and guilt tripped. The sexual tension was sizzling. I really need to catch my breath feeling their attraction for each other. I love this pairing.

Another political play in Echelon for equal rights to oppress against slaves and mechanoids. As I said in my previous reviews of this series, this story was also exciting, well-written and enjoyable. .
Profile Image for Roobie.
669 reviews87 followers
October 7, 2018
⭐️5 stars⭐️

I've seen revenge. So many times and in so many different ways. I've pulled the bodies out of the Thames and arrested hysterical wives or husbands.

Revenge is a cold, lonely place, and it consumes a person until there is nothing else left but bitterness and ashes.
And it always affects so many more than the people involved.

I knew I'd love Rosalind and Lynch! My favorite so far.

Profile Image for Celestine.
944 reviews99 followers
April 21, 2017
Celebrating the big 5-0-0, plus 9 and 18 and 1 and 5 and 2.
I am so happy that my 500th goodreads review is the 9th book I've read in the past 18 months by the singular Bec McMaster, and that it was a 5-star read featuring perhaps my favorite couple yet crafted by this author.

Oh, to relive the sublime state that is Rosalind Fairchild and Sir Jasper Lynch together on a page. She, of the slick fighting moves and humanist motives no matter the cost, and he, of the cold blood, cold eyes and silent introspection where you just know that still waters run deep. The premise of this novel, the third in McMaster's London Steampunk series, sets up Rosa and Lynch to be enemies. She is human, a mech, an assassin and a second class citizen in the London fantasy world run by Echelon blueboods, who feast on blood and run over anyone in their way. Lynch appears to be the Echelon's main enforcer, but once Rosa infiltrates his battalion of rogues she discovers that there are nuances to the bluebloods and some even have good in their hearts.

"Who was this man? He was her oppononent, the shadowy entity on the other side of the metaphorical chess game they played. She needed to know him, and yet, each answer humanized him in a way she didn't like."

For his part, Lynch is in lust with the alluring Mercury, and after they share a kiss he can't get her out of his mind. She is so much on his mind that he even finds himself panting after his new, widowed secretary. The staid and moral Lynch is confounded by his attraction to two women. As a reader, it was a delight to watch his head spin, especially when Rosa teases a reaction out of him or the clever Mercury outsmarts him.

McMaster does a good job setting up the conflict and the characters at the beginning of the novel. She then proceeds to leak information, bits at a time, pulling at your sentiment and making you like them even more. Both leads have dark, twisty pasts that color their reactions and bring danger to them. It seems their only succor is in the presence of the other, yet even that is fraught with danger. I was also relishing the fact that Lynch seems lustier than McMaster's other heroes, and it is wholly unexpected given his outward demeanor.

Probably my only complaint about this novel is that there is a tendency to let pieces of the puzzle languish for long periods of time. Fortunately, McMaster does a good job of wrapping up the parts that involve Rosa and Lynch. Plus, I didn't care much when I got to listen in on the verbal interplay of these two or catch my breath at the heat they generated.

Lynch: "Feminine wiles are almost as teeth-grating as the vapors."

Rosa: "This was a new game, with new rules, and the shiver of delight at the thought of his mastery almost undid her."

And just one word more: BUTTONS!

Book source: Kindle Unlimited subscription.

Profile Image for Saint Monique.
385 reviews167 followers
July 18, 2018
5 buttons stars

First read: 8. Oct 17
Re-read: 17 Jul 18

I'm finally continuing with this series and I needed to refresh my memory. The only thing I can say is that I'm still hopelessly in love with Lynch. Yes, right now he is on the very top of the list of my book boyfriends!

My original review

I am in love with this series, I truly am! First two books were great and amazing and wonderful but this one was just more everything.

First, I had my doubts about Rosalind considering I didn't particularly like her in the previous book. But it was understood that as a head of the humanist revolution she needed to take some hard decisions which were not always right ones. She was trying to do the best in horrible circumstances. When it was clear that she is not just a cold-hearted bitch, I started to warm up to her. I didn't have the same problems with Lynch. I liked him from the start even though he acted like emotionless prince consort's puppet at first. It was something about him that screamed amazing character out loud. And he had 'brooding is the new sexy' looks. I bought it and I'm not sorry.

Both of them were interesting characters apart, but together they were special. It was like they were making each other a better person. There were a lot of denying feelings from both of them. When they were finally starting to open themselves, it was very hot. Especially that game of chess. *fanning myself*

“I would like to undo all of your buttons too, my lord—”
His hand shook and tea spilled across the polished silver tray. Fuck. He shot her a dark look and then froze at the sight of her bare décolletage. It barely revealed more than her green dress the other day, but the way she was sitting there, calmly unbuttoning her gown nearly did him in.
“I don’t have buttons,” he replied sharply, cursing the hoarseness of his voice.
“Not on your coat, no.” Her gaze dipped, dark lashes fluttering against her smooth cheeks. Leaning forward, her bodice gaping, she took the teapot from him and accepted her cup and saucer. “But then, I wasn’t speaking of your coat.”
The only buttons he had were on his trousers. Mercy. His cock swelled and he shifted to hide the sight.
“I’m more interested in yours.” He smiled tightly, determined to regain the upper hand. “Another button, my dear?”

Anyway, so far my favorite book in the series. And now Perry and Garrett's story. I can't wait.
Profile Image for Fathima.
634 reviews345 followers
October 9, 2013
5 'tis buttons are gonna be the death of me' stars

Lynch speared a hand into her hair with a sharp hiss. “I should take my belt to you for this.” He spilled her back into the chair, his body driving hers into the soft cushions. His eyes were black again but she wasn’t afraid. Not this time. She knew exactly what sort of hunger she’d aroused in him.
She was winning.
“Would you like that, my lord?” She arched her back, sliding her hands up his chest.“Would you like me to bend over your desk and remove my drawers?”
He groaned, tilting her head back sharply. “Fuck.” His other fingers traced her lips. “You’ll pay for that. I want to kiss you, Rosa.”

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Me thinks that this the best book in the series soo far ! Straight up , no questions asked !

Sir Jasper Lynch has 3 weeks to find Mercury , the leader of a rebellion humanists group hell - bent on overthrowing the blue bloods and royals from ruling people giving the humans their rights , or he will have to take her place and share her punishment ! Mercury a.k.a Rosalind wants to find her brother Jeremy , and the only way she can do it is by joining The Nighthawks and becoming secretary to Jasper Lynch . But how is that possible ?!! You'll just have to read it and find that out !

This was such an whirlwind-ish ride , that I couldn't stop reading it . Sucked in right from Page 1 , the reader is thrown into the turmoil that is Lynch and Rosalind's life . On the professional front , both are too good for their own good . Rosalind is fearless and sassy . While Lynch doesn't know how to give up . But on the personal level , both are lonely and suffering . Trying to forget their past or just coming to terms with guilt , life has always been a struggle for our lead pair .

If there is one thing that I absolutely loved about this story , then it was the way Rosa and Lynch's relationship developed . The sexual tension between these two is evident right from the start , but both have their reasons to not give in . There were some really sweet , some funny and a lot of steamy moments ! McMaster really knows how to seduce her readers !

Bec McMaster's steampunk world is absolutely stunning . Where the first two books were majorly concerned on the ' Whitechapel' part of London , this one dealt with the ongoing's of Echleon city . Oh and also the Undertown , home of the dangerous and criminals !

I don't wanna talk too much and reveal a lot of details , plus there is a lot going on in this book that is wholly connected to the previous ones !

You guys have got to read this series ! Its fuckin awesome !

I cannot recommend this serious enough !

Profile Image for Annie .
2,426 reviews804 followers
July 28, 2013
McMaster has a particular talent with words. She weaves such detailed and intricate scenes that it seems almost impossible not to feel immerged in her world. Such rich, lush backgrounds and multi-faceted characters make her stand out amongst a sea of talented writers. Plot twists here and there only add that shock factor and don't forget the epic romances that she is able to create!

Read this review in its entirety at Fresh Fiction
Profile Image for Caz.
2,621 reviews993 followers
November 18, 2020
4.5 stars / A-

Somehow, I read Of Silk and Steam, the final book in Bec McMaster’s fabulous London Steampunk series first, then moved onto the Blue Blood Conspiracy series, so thanks to the TBR Challenge, I’ve been slowly catching up with the books I missed.  My Lady Quicksilver is book three and is every bit as good as those that preceded it, boasting a tightly-written story with plenty of intrigue and high-stakes action, a steamy antagonists-to-lovers romance, excellent world-building and a strongly drawn set of central and secondary characters.

While each book could be read as a standalone (the central storyline and romance are concluded in each book), there’s an overarching plotline that runs throughout the series, so I’d advise starting at the beginning with Kiss of Steel. There will be spoilers for the previous books in this review.

Sir Jasper Lynch, Master of the Nighthawks – London’s (sort of) police force, which is made up of rogue blue bloods (those not of the nobility who became accidentally infected with the craving virus) – has been given just three weeks to track down and arrest the mysterious Mercury, the leader of the humanist movement believed responsible for the recent bombing of the Ivory Tower, the seat of the Echelon’s power.  With two weeks left until the deadline – and knowing that the price of failure to deliver will be his life – Lynch has very little to go on, until he connects rumours of a smuggling operation with the humanist movement, and makes plans to intercept the next shipment.  On a dank, foggy night down by the river, he and his team await their moment to strike – but they’re spotted and all hell breaks loose.  During the fight, Lynch almost captures Mercury – who escapes into the enclaves beyond the city walls.  The enclaves are dangerous places – especially for a blue blood – but he follows anyway and quickly corners his quarry and makes a startling discovery.  Mercury is a woman.  A woman who attracts him and repels him in equal measure.  They circle each other metaphorically, testing each other’s mettle with the thrust and parry of their conversation until, after sharing a heated kiss, Mercury sticks Lynch with a hemlock dart and disappears.

Rosalind Fairchild took on the mantle of the humanist cause espoused by her late husband after his death some eight years previously and her secret identity is known only to a select few.  She was not, in fact, responsible for the bombing at the Ivory Tower;  a breakaway faction of mechs planned and executed it and Rosa tried to prevent it, to no avail.  Her main concern now, though, is her younger brother Jeremy, who was duped by Mordecai, the mechs’ leader, into delivering the bomb.  Rosa doesn’t know if Jeremy is dead or alive and is desperate to find out – and she decides the best way to get the information she needs is by taking a position as secretary to Sir Jasper Lynch at the HQ of the Nighthawks.  She presents herself at Lynch’s office as Mrs. Marberry and talks her way into the job – her no nonsense manner, her gumption and her ability to look him in the eye (not to mention her pretty face and soft curves) convincing him to give her the position on a trial basis.

Searching for Mercury isn’t Lynch’s only priority. The recent gruesome murders of two blueblood families - by a family member seemingly gone beserk - are mystifying and completely random, and Lynch has no real clues to go on.

The plot is engaging and well-executed as is the romance between Lynch and Rosa which is full of the sizzling sexual tension Bec McMaster writes so well.  Lynch is another of her swoonworthy heroes; handsome (of course!), honourable, intelligent and tightly controlled, he comes across as somewhat cold at first, but is gradually revealed to have a dry sense of humour and a vulnerability he keeps ruthlessly hidden.  Rosa’s backstory is heartbreaking; she and her brothers lived on the streets for a while after their mother (a thrall) died, until she was taken in and trained as an assassin and spy by her father, the evil Lord Balfour.  In the eight years since the death of her husband, Rosa has never looked at another man – she just hasn’t been interested – and her attraction to Lynch infuriates her.  She hates blue bloods and he, as the Master of the Nighthawks, answerable to the  even more hated Prince Consort, is the worst of the lot. But as she works alongside Lynch as Mrs Marberry, Rosa begins to see a different side to him and to see him as a man of compassion, with emotions he works hard to keep at bay.  She realises that she’s been wrong in tarring all blue bloods with the same brush and that some of them are actually capable and desirous of doing good.

The author sets up the conflict early on, and then drip-feeds information about the characters and their backstories, slowly revealing the truth about these two flawed and damaged characters, their loneliness, their guilt and their determination to do what they believe to be right.  The sparks fly between Lynch and Rosa right from the start; it’s an attraction neither of them wants or can afford, but it won’t go away, no matter how hard they try to ignore it.  The staid and principled Lynch is very much in lust with Mercury, but is also falling for Mrs Mayberry; he struggles with the fact he’s attracted to two women, while Rosa is unable to resist him, even though she knows she’s heading for trouble.

My Lady Quicksilver is another gripping read in what is one of the best series of paranormal romances of recent years. Lynch and Rosa are fully-formed, three-dimensional individuals with flaws and insecurities who, despite their difficult pasts, have grown into strong, determined individuals who will do whatever they must in pursuit of their goals.  The sexual chemistry between them burns up the pages, the banter is excellent and the romance is both tender and sexy as hell (chess, anyone?! Phew!)

If you haven’t read this series yet, then do yourself a favour and get started.  You can thank me later ;)
Profile Image for Ursula.
584 reviews137 followers
April 16, 2018
This was pretty good, actually, although I was sure I wasn't going to like it given the protagonists, who we met in the previous book. But they ended up being terrific, strong characters with genuine, noble motivations. They also had a wonderful chemistry.
Now, if only I could get past all that blood-drinking nonsense.....
I repeat: vampires are NOT SEXY!
Profile Image for Ami.
5,751 reviews501 followers
September 3, 2016
A couple of days after I finished and I wonder if I can write a more coherent review (compared to my original review that only screams that I LOVE THIS).

One thing for sure, I rated Heart of Iron with 5* because I loved the hero, I loved the heroine, and I loved the additional player that made the arc more complicated. HOWEVER, I must say that My Lady Quicksilver would definitely be the better book, and my FAVORITE yet of the series -- and why I also gave it five stars.

What made this better? The battle of wits between Jasper and Rosalind (or when she was using her other personae, either Mercury or Mrs. Mayberry) was DELICIOUS. The sexual tension was through the roof -- I mean the "opening my buttons" scene alone??! GAH!! And through it all, it was a clever cat and mouse game. I thought Rosalind was a kick-ass heroine in a different way that Honoria or Lena. Rosalind was made an assassin but in here, she used her wit more than her ability to kill people. She went undercover -- but then she teased Jasper when she put on Mercury's costume. She's awesome.

And Jasper? Jasper won my heart too. I still loved my verwulfen Will but unlike Blade or Will, Jasper also preferred to use his brain rather than his blue blood strength. He still acted Alpha, but most of the times, as the Captain of the Nighthawks, Jasper went through clues, making connection between them. In a way, he was more like a detective rather than a rogue. And I always love smart guys too (brain over brawn people!).

There is a martyrdom scene that I usually disliked in a paranormal romance -- but I just couldn't feel that here. Probably because Jasper and Rosalind were just too perfect and the scene totally added the 'right' amount of angst.

I am totally IN LOVE with this series and the plot arc that Ms. McMaster are weaving. Totally cannot wait until book 4. Garrett and Perry!! Friends to lovers story!! It will be awesome!!

Personal Steampunk Romance Challenge April 2014: story #4
Profile Image for Lauren.
2,216 reviews162 followers
February 27, 2015
My Lady Quicksilver
4.5 Stars

Rosalind Fairchild, aka Mercury, the leader of the humanist opposition, infiltrates the Nighthawks (the Echelon’s law enforcement arm) by posing as their commander’s new secretary in order to discover the whereabout of her younger brother. Sir Jasper Lynch, head of the Nighthawks, has suffered both discrimination and betrayal, but finds it impossible to resist the charms of the indomitable Mrs. Marberry despite his wariness and lack of trust.

Once again, McMaster provides a richly detailed and captivating dystopian backdrop to the rather simple tale of a woman struggling to fight her growing feelings for a man she considers her enemy. Rosalind and Jasper are a perfect match. Despite the traumas of their pasts, they have both grown into strong and courageous people who allow nothing to stand in the way of their goals. The question is whether their stated aims are the right ones?

Although the keeping secrets trope usually irritates me no end, it is done very well here mainly due to the fact that the conflict does not stem from a lack of communication, but from Rosalind’s real need to keep her identity hidden. Moreover, the secret ultimately enhances the tension in the romance and there are some truly fantastic scenes between the lovers.

The world of the ruling Echelon and the rebel Humanists is dark, gritty and disturbing, and as the ongoing struggle between the factions moves in a new direction it will be interesting to see how things develop.

All in all, a well-written, exciting, and sexy read. Recommended for fans of steampunk and the enemies-to-lovers theme.
Profile Image for Kira.
1,227 reviews131 followers
January 27, 2019

I would have liked this better if Rosalind's ruse was more believable. Lynch was incredibly astute. He would have figured it out much earlier. Aside from that I really liked this especially considering that I was invested in either character in the beginning.
Profile Image for -ya.
518 reviews66 followers
October 1, 2016
4.5-stars
I think the series is best read in order, as the world building, characters and stories are mostly interconnected.

Leader of the revolutionists, Rosa is a trained assassin fighting for the powerless, and the oppressed.

Head of the Nighthawks ( chief of detectives for Echelon), Lynch is a strictly controlled, cunning hero who doesn’t necessarily play by the rules.

He hunts her. She deceives him.

Lynch: “I rarely sin, and when I do, it is completely intentional. I have no need of saving.”

My Lady Quicksilver has this enemy-to-lover plotline that is as entertaining as it gets. Not to mention it features an interesting cast of supporting characters with shades of grey, dense with the political machinations.

Originality. Page-turner. I am totally hooked on these installments, and can’t wait to find out how the author wrapped up the series.
Profile Image for Story_girl.
125 reviews53 followers
December 20, 2021
My favourite in the series so far. A notorious assassin/spy (on the most wanted list of the prince consort and Echelon nobles) and the dangerous Lord of Nighthawks intent upon uncovering her true identity and catching her.

The author has weaved a delicious mix of intrigue, thrill, seduction, romance, passion between the two forbidden lovers. Both are fascinated by the other but intent on outmanoeuvring the opponent.
Profile Image for Deborah Obida.
673 reviews583 followers
December 11, 2022
My Lady Quicksilver is the third book in the London Steampunk series, and this is Rosalind (aka Mercury, leader of the humanist movement) and Lynch (the master of the Nighthawk’s) book.

What is great about this series is that no two books follow the same pattern apart from the falling in love part.

Rosalind hates the Blue Bloods passionately, but when she can’t find her brother after months of searching, she decides to infiltrate the Nighthawks.

Lynch knows Mercury or the humanist had something to do with the bomb in book two, and he is determined to find the leader. Unbeknownst to him, the leader is the same as his secretary Rosa to whom he is attracted.

So, what will happen when he finds out? Will they be able to trust themselves and work together, or will hate rule the day?
Profile Image for Susan (susayq ~).
2,058 reviews120 followers
October 5, 2013
Oh my! I loved this one! In my humble opinion, the best of the series. Sir Jasper Lynch, THE Nighthawk, was the type of hero I adore. He was strong, handsome, protective, and guarded his heart and his secrets until Rosa got to him. Rosa's secrets were more dangerous than his, and my heart broke a little more each time I saw them getting closer, knowing it would kill him when he finally found out.

This had me captivated so much that it wasn't until I finished the book that I realized we didn't even see Blade and Honoria. In fact, there was only a few brief references to him. Lena made a short appearance, but no one else that we've seen before, except Barrons. I'm dying for him to get his own book. Speaking of books, if you are reading this, Ms. McMaster, please, please, please write Perry and Garrett's book. I'm begging.

I would gladly go preorder the next in the series, but sadly, it isn't listed on Amazon yet. As soon as it is, it will be clicked :)
Profile Image for Katie.
2,628 reviews144 followers
April 25, 2017
I didn't mean to take nearly 3 years to get back to this series--it's one I've often thought about picking up again!--but I am BACK IN.

McMaster's writing is SO HOT. I was worried at times about the lying aspect of the secret identity, but it all worked out okay for me.

(Already started the novella that comes next!)
Profile Image for Beth.
3,124 reviews262 followers
August 31, 2013
In a desperate attempt to find her brother, Rosalind Fairchild decides the best way to discover what happened to him is to apply for the position of secretary to Sir Jasper Lynch (leader of the nighthawks). Entering the enemies den with only her wits to protect her, she quickly discovers that the black and white vision of the world she created is all shades of gray...

I have to admit, I was a little hesitant about this book veering away from previously featured main characters. I did miss that none of them played a pivotal role in My Lady Quicksilver but in the end...I still completely and utterly loved this book!

Bec McMaster weaves a fabulous tale, with each twist and turn you get pulled deeper into her storytelling web. The characters are genuine with detailed backgrounds that envelop you into their plights. Insurmountable odds, an epic romance, facing the ultimate sacrifice, McMaster's writing genius brilliantly shines through.

I received this ARC copy of My Lady Quicksilver from Sourcebooks Casablanca in exchange for a honest review. This book is set for publication October 1, 2013.

Written by: Bec McMaster
Genre: Steampunk, Romance, Scifi, Fantasy, Historical Fiction
Age Recommendation: Adult
Bec McMaster's Website

Find this book on: Barnes & Noble | Amazon

For more reviews check out Tome Tender's Book Blog or find us on Facebook.
 photo 3d90fbae-beef-4ecf-942c-548f79c0a58a_zps8343b44f.jpg
Profile Image for Sunny.
1,423 reviews
November 1, 2013
I LOVED it. I would read it again tomorrow.

My Lady Quicksilver is book 3 in Bec McMaster's London Steampunk series. I simply love this series! First a rebel, then a shape shifter verwulfen, and now Ms. McMasters gives us a law man. This story is so delicious it made me giddy with happiness. What's not to like? You have two "outsiders" who represent the extremes of the system - one, a female rebel looking to disrupt the strict caste system, and the other, a man of law and order but not one of the elite. I love Rosalyn because she is spunky, brave and kick-ass (not surprising as former assassin). Jasper is so dreamy, not only because he is a man of the law because also he is a man of conviction, compassion, intelligence, passion and principle.

The story is a cat and mouse game expertly played out in the narrative. Outwitting and outplaying each other, I love how Rosalyn and Jasper develop a begrudging respect for one another that blossoms into full fledged love. There is a constant level of temptation - "Dangerous. So dangerous. But that old thrill was there again, tempting her to madness." As the story develops, the characters unravel. I like how Ms. McMasters brings depth to Rosalyn and Jasper. On the surface, Rosalyn is the implacable leader of the resistance, but underneath there is a girl who desires to be "normal." Jasper soon discovers he has more rebel in him then he is willing to admit.

Normally, I am not a huge fan of steampunk. However in this story, the steampunk setting is an essential part of the book and contributes to the dark and dangerous context - steam engines, mechanical objects, and a dystopian world. It works!

IN A NUTSHELL:
The best in the series, this book is NOT TO BE MISSED! Can't wait to see what's next!

This review originally posted at: http://loveaffairwithanereader.blogsp...
Profile Image for alicat ♡➹♡.
651 reviews6 followers
June 3, 2022
I loved this book! I mean hello, look at Rosalind she is super awesome. I thought she was definitely intriguing in the last book, and in this one she reveals herself. She is much more empathetic and feeling on the inside despite her frosty exterior when she plays Mercury, the humanist leader and criminal.

Jasper Lynch is the leader of the Nighthawks - a police force of rogue bluebloods, who were infected with the vampire-esque craving virus outside of the formal blood rites aristocratic heads of houses and their heirs undergo. He is incredibly smart and disciplined until a certain someone gets under his skin. Both as Mercury her alter ego and as Rosa, his new secretary, a position she takes to spy and learn his secrets.

The steam these two set off is off the charts - just so fun and I love all the banter. Lynch and Rosa are both leaders and willing to give up everything for their people but they complicate their lives with feelings for one another. This is probably one of my favorite romance novels of all time.

I loved almost every minute of it.
Profile Image for Always Reading.
655 reviews227 followers
January 1, 2014
Oh.

I'm wearing my sad face at the moment because I don't want to be here giving a Bec McMaster book 2 stars. Especially directly after giving the last one I read - Heart of Iron - 5 stars. But I am so disappointed in this one!

Essentially, everything I loved about books one and two - the sweet, tortured heroes, the feisty yet soft heroines, the perfectly executed buildup of sexual tension - was missing. Both Rosa and Lynch were such different types of characters to what McMaster normally delivers. Slightly older for a start, but also both very closed off people; mistrustful of the opposite sex, jaded. I'd even go so far as to say slightly bitter. Add to that the giant deception going on with regards to Rosa's alter-ego as "Mercury" and her sneaky infiltration of Lynch's Nighthawks, and the whole thing just left me with a nasty aftertaste.

I'm not going to bang on about it, though. I'll just say this one did not do it for me as the others have, and let's say no more about it.

2 Stars ★★
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for K..
3,544 reviews999 followers
April 8, 2017
7/4/2017
Yeah, pretty much everything I said last time. I liked the politics on reread more than I did the first time around. But the whole seducing-him-as-Mercury-and-Rosa thing was...weird? And I kept being like "Uh. Lynch? You're meant to be this amazing investigator who solves all kinds of badass cases. And yet you can't tell that you're making out with the same woman??

I mean, I know he doesn't suspect that it's the same woman. But surely at SOME point, you'd be like "Hang on a second. This boob looks a LOT like the one I saw yesterday???" But no. Apparently getting a boner makes his brain stop working and he never once suspects a thing. Cool.

Anyway. It's decent enough, but definitely my least favourite of the series.

16/11/2014
Meh? Slightly better than meh?? IDEK, you guys. I really enjoyed the first two books in this series. They were essentially paranormal steampunk smut from start to finish, but they were really fun. This one was a big shift in that it didn't involve any of the main characters from the first two books. Well. There was one. And she was in it for a red hot second. So it was a reasonably big adjustment to jump into this one with totally new characters. Add in the fact that this one was more...political??...than the others, and the fact that Rosa is effectively trying to seduce Lynch with two different identities, and I wasn't entirely down with it.

Look, I love the world McMaster has created. It's fabulous. And there was a lot of this that was pretty steamy. I just didn't enjoy the characters as much as the previous two books, which hampered my enjoyment of it. (Although I'm already pretty psyched about the couple featured in book 4)

So yeah. It was fine. But it didn't live up to my expectations from the previous books in the series.
Profile Image for Mei.
1,879 reviews404 followers
September 8, 2014
WOW!!!

I thought Blade and Honoria's story, but this one is even better!

We met Rosalind in the previous book where she was the almost-villain. Here we find out why she did what she did in Heart of Iron. She's a mech and when I found out how she became it it was heart-breaking. She's hard, seemingly without feelings, but it is all an illusion. On the inside she's terrified, wounded and full of anger - a very justified anger.

Jasper Lynch is The Nighthawk. A tightly reined blue blood, who's fighting his thirst and urges. He's logical and very clever, but his attraction to Rosalind will be his downfall! ;)

A wonderful, wonderful love story. Very touching and very hot too!

The series is fantastic: each book is a jewel and each story an interesting and involving one!
Profile Image for Iliada.
734 reviews192 followers
September 24, 2015
Amazing hero and heroine, truly. But the fact that the hero liked two women at the same time, despite the fact that they were one and the same in reality, felt too much like cheating to me. For this reason, I wasn't able to fully enjoy this otherwise wonderful book.
661 reviews30 followers
February 4, 2021
I think in audiobooks, the narrator and their performance is as important as the book itself. I have listened to narrators whose rendition of a work made me fall in love with a book that otherwise i’d not be likely to finish and then there have been those, whose awful rendition of the best books, even of my favourite books, made me unable to plod through.

And I’m afraid the narrator of this book, Alison larkin I think was her name, falls in the latter category. It’s a testament to the strength of the story line and the wonderful characters that I held on till the end. I think if I’d even read this on my own it’d have been a ten star book. The gallantry, the angst, the world building, the wonderful characters,...: this one had all the makings of the stories that become all time favourites, but the scratchy, flat, fake, forced narration of the reader, felt like a slap to the face of the book at every turn. I will reread this, on my own, in a few months and shall get back to you with my real thoughts about the book itself, in the meanwhile I will take care not to listen to anything else by this person.
Profile Image for Jewlsbookblog.
2,083 reviews67 followers
February 16, 2018
I’ll admit it..I wasn’t expecting to like this book mainly due to Rosalind’s role. Go figure, this would be my favorite in the series! Rosalind redeemed herself, causing my brain to rethink her deceptiveness. She was smart, sarcastic, and witty all of which made it hard not to like her. And then there’s Jasper. He was a wonderfully brooding and intelligent hero I easily found myself falling for! And the romance.. The romance was by far the sexiest of the series so far. Paired with witty banter, intense chemistry, and a depth of emotion I actually wasn’t expecting-but loved every minute-I was not disappointed by any means. This was a fantastic read!
Profile Image for Pamela Sparkman.
Author 8 books285 followers
August 15, 2017
This one was my favorite of the series so far. I loved it to bits. Every word.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 428 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.