Start by marking “The Covert Academy (The Covert Academy #1)” as Want to Read:
The Covert Academy (The Covert Academy #1)

The Covert Academy (The Covert Academy #1)

In the late 21st Century, the world’s governments have collapsed and mob rule sweeps the planet.

A group of so-called experts, known as the Confederacy, assume control. When they unleash thousands of unmanned killing machines on the rioters, the conflict ends, yet the majority of the populace remain destitute under the watchful eye of the drones.
Twenty years pass and Joshua
Published January 31st 2013

To ask other readers questions about The Covert Academy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Covert Academy

Yvonne Boag
Feb 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
In the 21st century there was a third world war which left nations in total anarchy. The populations turned on themselves and rebelled against their governments. Eight years later a group of powerful people made up of the rich, the military and scientists met in secret and decided to usher in a new world order. They abolished...(Click here to read the complete review).
Books
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Although I truly enjoy dystopian fiction, I always feel rather sceptical that it would be yet another Hunger Games carbon copy. Not so in the case of The Covert Academy. This utterly unique book had me riveted to my chair for a read-in-one-go session! While skilfully dodging drones - the all-seeing, highly destructive mechanical police of The Confederacy - Joshua is noticed by Sarah, an agent from the Academy. He is taken from his homeless existence on the streets of Chicago and whisked away to ...more
Andrew Morgan
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have just finished The Covert Academy and here are my thoughts. I will preface this with the understanding that YA is not really my thing - I thought the highly regarded Ender's Game was trite, but it gives me a good benchmark for the style and depth a YA book should have. Taking Ender's Game as a five star rating in YA adult world, I have considered The Covert Academy accordingly.

The Review:

The Covert Academy is an immediately aspirational young adult sci-fi packed with action and lightening
John
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was overall a fun read. Dystopian, totalitarian regime, embedded computers and a valiant resistance. So far so good. There is a brief mention of the idea of trading privacy for security, though not investigated in any depth. Really, I saw this as an action book, and it succeeded on that level.

The characters were a little flat, for instance I had a very hard time remembering that Sarah and Joshua were supposed to be in there early twenties. They gave a vibe of quite a bit younger, I would s
Sheri
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Covert Academy (The Covert Academy #1) Peter Laurent

Set in the late 21st century , the government has been eliminated and the Confederacy has taken over. They have made drones that destroy people and are under the rule of the Confederates. The Colonnade is the main base for these confederates.

Joshua has been living on the ruins of what used to be Chicago and he learns his sister has been taken by the Confederates and he sets out to find her. He finds a secret resistance called the Academy, a
Clive
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a great first book. Looking forward to the next installment. Not normally my type of book but could not put it down. Keep up the great work Peter.
Miki101.michaela
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Covert Academy vs The Confederacy, Part One - ..., 12. Februar 2013
Von miki101. Michaela (Italy + Southeast Asia)
...and the winner is: Obviously the reader!

This is a most astonishing debut novel that's absolutely new in the broad field of the blooming Dystopian visions. Why that, You may ask?
Simple: It covers a vision of the world that may be not too far from our own, together with most amazing New Technology absolutely understandable also for the less technically gifted of us. And often ba
Doreen Dalesandro
Kindle freebie, 2/4/13
Jenn Swanson
Oct 09, 2014 rated it liked it
For someone that LOVES sci-fi, they will enjoy this story. It had moments of action and suspense. For me however, it was drawn out and long.
Richard
Jan 12, 2014
Davemc
Apr 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Seer of Mars (Vallar, #1)
  • Redemption Protocol (Contact 1)
  • Legend of the Chosen (Destiny's Kingdom #1)
  • Into the Vast
  • Humanity's Last Chance (The Eden Project, #1)
  • Seth and Chloe (Lunara Trilogy, #1)
  • The Spider and the Fly (The Spiderverse Saga, #1)
  • Theocracide
  • Stars Rain Down (Biotech Legacy, #1)
  • Memoria
  • Ghosts of Ophidian
  • Embrace (The Epherium Chronicles, #1)
  • The Man Who Ended the World
  • Gabriel's Redemption
  • Khe (The Ahsenthe Cycle, #1)
  • Birth of an Empire: The Beginning (Xarrok Series, #1)
  • Particle Horizon
  • The Biofab War (Biofab War, #1)
Author Peter Laurent was born and raised in Auckland, New Zealand. He studied 3D animation in Auckland, then worked full-time in Mount Maunganui. Peter then formed his own company, Indiana Games Limited, and has been freelancing art and animation back in Auckland ever since. “The Covert Academy” is his first novel, borne of a passion for creative storytelling.