Start by marking “Straight Jacket” as Want to Read:
Straight Jacket

Straight Jacket

Eighteen-year-old Anna has lived her whole life in shame, losing herself in books to cope with crippling panic attacks triggered by her abusive parents. Forced into a psychiatric hospital, she can’t imagine a future that’s anything but bleak—until she meets Caleb, a gifted, 19-year-old artist who insists he’s an angel.

He swears his mission is to help Anna break free from h
Published February 15th 2013 by Etopia Press

To ask other readers questions about Straight Jacket, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Straight Jacket

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareUnravel Me by Tahereh MafiThe Elite by Kiera CassEverbound by Brodi AshtonBoundless by Cynthia Hand
Beautiful Book Covers of 2013
598 books — 2,214 voters
Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareFallen by Lauren KateCrescendo by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Glass by Cassandra Clare
YA Angels
364 books — 1,773 voters

More lists with this book...

Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Etopia Press.)
18-year-old Anna has been stuck in a mental rehabilitation hospital by her parents after trying to kill herself. She only wishes that she had succeeded and gotten away from them. Anna’s parents are truly nasty to her, and rather than be concerned that she tried to kill herself, they are more interested in getting an apology from her for inconveniencing them!

19-year-old Caleb is stuck in th
Dianne
Anna has lived her entire life not being good enough for her abusive parents and is placed in a mental health facility after threatening suicide and suffering from severe panic attacks. Caleb is a gifted artist, diagnosed as delusional. He claims to be angel sent to help Anna fulfill her destiny, which will not happen unless she breaks free of the cycle of abuse from her parents. Both are desperately alone, Anna, starved for positive attention find Caleb's art to be beautiful, especially his dra ...more
Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews*
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: YA Romance Readers
Find This and Other Reviews At Craves The Angst.

Straightjacket is a YA Romance written by Meredith Towbin. I read this as a R2R with We ♥ YA Books! As always, a special thank you to the mods and author for allowing me to participate.

4 Amazing Stars!
A beautifully twisted written love story that will keep you guessing and thinking long after the last page is read.

The Review:
Straightjacket is Meredith Towbin’s debut novel. This book totally took me by surprise and left me thinking on a deepl
Erin
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
He'd rather be in the same room with her, forbidden to speak, than away from her where the pain would grow so overwhelming that he couldn't breathe. ~Caleb LOC 1441

It's been a few hours since I reached the last page of this story, and my heart is still hurting. When I read the synopsis for this book, I never once imagined it would affect me this strongly, so it completely took me by surprise when I found myself emotional over Caleb and Anna's journey. With a relatively quick read, Meredith Tow
Jennifer Madero (Boricuan Bookworms)
Yay I finished! :D I had so many expectations for this book; I feel really disappointed :/ Review to come soon :)

You can find this review and others on my co-owned blog Boricuan Bookworms

Ebook copy provided by author via Goodreads.com group We <3 YA Books

I picked to read and review this book because lately I've been interested in things related to psychology and human behavior. Since this looked into mental problems with teens, I said "sure, sounds really good."

And at first it was. It's ab
Once
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
Eighteen year old Anna has been sent to live in the loony bin after threatening to kill herself at home. Her parents are ultra oppressive and highly religious. They do not believe that young women should be touching let alone kissing boys until they are married. Anna hates her parents and would do anything to get away from them, but landing herself under the watchful eye of a psychiatric facility isn't the permanent solution she was looking for. She knows that one day her doctor will deem her fi ...more
Amanda
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I’ll admit, I rolled my eyes when the girl fell in love with the dark, brooding, and possibly dangerous handsome young man (even if he wasn’t a vampire, werewolf, or sporting a British accent). Too fast! Too intense! Too. . .tired, cliché, done a thousand times before!

But if it’s possible to unroll one’s eyes, that’s exactly what I’ve done. Meredith Towbin’s Straight Jacket may cover some familiar territory, at first, but it does some heavy lifting that other YA literature would do well to take
WickedLovely1
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read2review
*I received this book from the author, via Goodreads, in exchange for an honest review*

At first, I had a hard time getting into this book, partially because I knew what it was about. That aside, once I did really start reading it, I discovered an in-depth look at mentall illness. Then author gets so much of the institutional setting right, that its scary. There is a sweet love story hiding in there, too.

I think that Anna's problem is one we see all too often, but may not recognize. Her problem i
Lauren
Jul 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, demons, angels

Caleb is an angel; well at least he thinks he is an angel but unfortunately he is also in a mental institution. Now Caleb is trying to convince 18-year-old Anna, who is also in the institution suffering from the abuse of her parents, that he is in fact an angel. With Caleb’s help, Anna tries to realize her dream of becoming a writer.

This was quite an emotional book that I was not expecting at all. The two main characters both have such intense and sad pasts. This book strives through t
Ariella
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing read! I love reading this story. I love Caleb's story it is sad. Anna parents are horrible. I feel so sorry for her and what she goes through.
Vrinda Pendred
Review Taken from vrindapendred.com

This was one of my very favourite kinds of books: the ones where the author never tells you what is really the truth and it all comes down to a matter of individual belief (essentially: is Caleb an angel or is he 'crazy'? You decide).

I must admit that when I first started reading it, I worried about what I was in for, because of the depiction of Heaven in the first couple pages. Then as I read on and realised what was happening, I found myself thinking it was
Brenda Zalegowski
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Matilda
Mar 13, 2013 rated it liked it
I am still having mixed feeling about this book for the first half of the book I would give it 3 stars even at some points 2 stars but towards the ending I would give it 4 stars even 5 in some places and I thought the ending was great (view spoiler) ...more
E.C. Newman
Mar 31, 2013 rated it liked it
still pondering. I think it's extremely well written and the story is one of the most original I've read in a long while. But at the same time it didn't super connect with me. I can appreciate it, respect it and the author, but I didn't love it.

4/21/13

I don't really read angel books. It comes from the church-going background I have. The theology for most of them doesn't match what I learned growing up and for some reason, it's hard for me to suspend my belief enough to get invested. I know, si
Trina
Jul 27, 2013 rated it liked it
*I received a copy of this book from the Author in exchange for an honest review*

I give this book 3.5 stars!!!

18 year old Anna loves reading and wants to be a writer but is frightened to put words onto paper. She has suffered from abuse by her parents for many years and attempts to commit suicide as a way to escape, they then admit her into a psychiatric hospital for treatment.
Here she meets 19 year old Caleb, a smart and talented artist who insists he’s an Angel. Caleb tells Anna he is there o
Anna Christine
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Summary

Review

What I can say about this book is that it was extremely good and I thought it was just amazing. There is a lot of hard things to go through whilst reading this (abuse
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Thanks to the author for a copy of this book

I kinda have mixed feelings about the book, first of all I really liked the idea, I think it's one of the most original plots I have read in a long time and it engrossed me from the beginning (and not to mention the second part, I couldn't stop reading!), also, the writing flowed very nicely. But at the same time, I wasn't very convinced with the characters, I did liked them, but I'm not entirely sure of the way that Anna begins to fall in love, I don'
Sam
Straightjacket is a YA contemporary romance telling the story of a girl who ends up in a psychiatric hospital and a boy who believes he's an angel. Meeting in the most unlikely place, the two form a connection that no one can deny, and soon they are falling for each other harder than ever. Meredith Towbin will touch you with this imaginative and slightly different YA novel.

The book begins with Anna settling into the psychiatric hospital that they controlling and abusive parents have forced her i
Kasumi Ren
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Janina

Ratings: 3.5 stars
This book was a very interesting read and I liked where the author took the angel idea. I'm having a hard time expressing my thoughts on the book, but I did enjoy it. It was a very quick read for me. I finished the book within a day. It was fast paced and easy to read. I also really liked how both characters had issues they needed to work through. Both characters are in the psychiatric institution for different reasons and they both have very different problems. Seeing the two
Kristin (Young Adult Book Haven)

My Thoughts:

I was really curious about Straightjacket when I started it, angels have been done so many times before in YA but this time it was done somewhat differently and it wasn't the same old love story between a girl and fallen angel and I enjoyed the fact that it was different.

Anna has been abused by her parents her whole life and even though she is eighteen she can't seem to break away from them and she finds herself in a mental hospital as per her parents, she doesn't want to be here and
Mercedes Roth
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review, and boy do I have one!
This book made me feel! As someone who has severe depression, attempted suicide, has been in a mental hospital & suffers from panic attacks I really identified with the main character, Anna.
This book made me think & wonder. The entire time I was reading I couldn't decide if Caleb, the leading man, was actually an angel sent from heaven to help Anna or just a delusional young man.
I mean, at the beginning Caleb
Anthony
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Alondra Olvera
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
The story:

Caleb and Anna are in a psychiatric facility. Caleb is a nineteen year old artist who thinks he is an angel set out to help Anna. He is supposed to help Anna reach a future she can only imagine. Anna is an eighteen year old who has lived her whole life with abusive parents and has debilitating panic attacks.
The story follows their journey in the psychiatric facility.

My opinion:

I read this book in chunks for the last couple weeks. When I finished it, I wished I would have read it fast
Anna
Jul 05, 2013 rated it liked it
As if having abusive parents isn't bad enough, Anna gets sent to a psychiatric hospital by them. There she meets Caleb who says that he is an angel who is sent to help Anna. What Caleb did not expect is to fall in love with her and that puts his task in danger. Can Caleb and Anna be together inspite of their problems?

I thought that the author developed the charachter of Anna really well. Taking a girl with a lot of fear and turning her into a confident woman who deals with isuses very well. In t
Kat
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arr
I can't believe it took me 11 freaking days to finish this book! I was so hooked with the story and everything! I guess it's because school started already here in my country :(
As I was saying,I was really hooked up with this story because I really wanted to know what Cabel really is. Is he an angel or a crazy person? (view spoiler)
Stacy
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
At first glance this book feels like a typical ya romance. What makes this story stand out from the rest, is the authors ability to describe human emotions. I loved getting to know Anna and her story. I don't even think of this book as a romance but instead it reads like a coming to age story. We get to experience what is like to be Anna and to overcome some serious obstacles. There were times when I wanted to cry for Anna and other times I felt proud of her. Caleb was just there helping her see ...more
Lindsay
Feb 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Thanks to the author and etopia press for a copy of this book.

I have to admit that when I started this book I was a little tentative as it seemed to be so similar to a few other recently released books.

As I read along; however, the story turned into something completely different than what I had expected. What I found was a very sweet love story.

There were some elements of the story that didn't quite get resolved, but I was happy to see some positive change toward the ending.

I really wish this
Diana (DomesticGoddess)
I received a free copy of this book from the author through Goodreads We ♥ YA Books! group in exchange for an unbiased review.
There's a fine line between true faith and madness. Who are we to judge exactly where that line lies?
The synopsis does a good job explaining the book's plot-line. The story has an interesting and original premise; it ends up being both heart-breaking and uplifting at the same time. The answers are never spelled out in black and white, giving the reader something to conte
Nicky Owens
Mar 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Anna is a strong female character who goes through a major transformation by the end of the novel. Caleb's story is the one that is most puzzling to the reader. The concept of his character was an interesting one... Is Caleb an angel or is he delusional? That is the question that permeates throughout the story. To Ms. Towbin's credit, she leaves the answer to the reader. I definitely think this would appeal to teens, and I will be recommending it at the high school library.
Find my full review he

• All the Tales We Tell (Hearts Out of Water #1)
  • Inertia (Gravity, #3.5)
  • When Fully Fused (Schasm #3)
  • Shadows Gray (Shadows #1)
  • Dark Genesis (Dark Genesis, #1)
  • Aire
  • Don't Panic
  • The Temple of the Blind (The Temple of the Blind, #3)
  • Mythos (The Descendants, #1)
  • The Paternity Test
  • Fix by Force
  • Desire (Brightest Kind of Darkness, #4)
  • Found in Prague
  • Junior
  • Evermore (Emily Chambers Spirit Medium #3)
  • Loves Me, Loves Me Not
  • Ghost Heart (The PSS Chronicles, #3)
  • Captive Bride
Meredith Towbin writes dark contemporary young adult fiction. Her first novel, STRAIGHTJACKET, explores teen mental illness.

Before she wrote fiction for teens, she taught them all about English lit in the classroom. Later she edited textbooks and wrote review workbooks for, once again, all those lucky teens.

These experiences, along with her own vivid memories of being an awkward teenager, provide