Start by marking “This House is Haunted” as Want to Read:
This House is Haunted

This House is Haunted

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  8,546 Ratings  ·  1,384 Reviews
1867. Eliza Caine arrives in Norfolk to take up her position as governess at Gaudlin Hall on a dark and chilling night. As she makes her way across the station platform, a pair of invisible hands push her from behind into the path of an approaching train. She is only saved by the vigilance of a passing doctor.

When she finally arrives, shaken, at the hall she is greeted by
Published April 25th 2013 by Doubleday (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about This House is Haunted, please sign up.
Catherine I thought it was scary. I have also read Turn of the Screw. I personally think this book is slightly more creepy. Worth reading if you enjoyed Turn of…moreI thought it was scary. I have also read Turn of the Screw. I personally think this book is slightly more creepy. Worth reading if you enjoyed Turn of the Screw.(less)
Jeri I know exactly what you mean, Karen, and I agree - I can't fully decide that either. I felt Eliza sounded and acted more like a mature woman of…moreI know exactly what you mean, Karen, and I agree - I can't fully decide that either. I felt Eliza sounded and acted more like a mature woman of middling years than the young woman she is supposed to be.(less)

Delee
There is something about fall and winter that puts me in the mood to read spooky books- I soooooooooo love cuddling up with a good ghost....story.

1867 London:

photo a76ddeb2-95cd-4559-b89f-74387b482faf_zpsiwfvkpdn.jpg

After the loss of her father- 21-year-old, plain Jane Eliza Caine- accepts the position of governess at Gaudlin Hall, in Norfolk.

photo 8994b492-93bc-408d-bab7-5df60464fdea_zpsdhnws2rc.jpg

...but no one is there to greet her upon her arrival- which seems rather strange to Eliza. The next morning her creepy little wards- the Westerly children- Isabella-12 and Eustace-8, are present and accounted for.
Blair
What do you get if you mix Rebecca and The Turn of the Screw with a dash of Jane Eyre and a pinch of Dickens? The answer is This House is Haunted, a gloriously gothic confection revolving around - you'll never guess - a haunted house. This actually IS a haunted house too, not some metaphorical type of haunting, although there's also an element of humour to the proceedings, which serves to set this story apart from the many historical ghost stories it could be compared to.

In 1867, a young woman,
karen
this book is available for spooky month!

pssst - spoiler alert - THIS HOUSE IS HAUNTED!!

i made the mistake of reading blair's review of this before trying to write my own. one, it is much better than anything i could attempt and two, she saw something in this book that i did not and it has kind of clouded my impressions and judgments of the book and made me think that maybe i missed the point.

here is a link to hers so you can read how it should be done:

unt
Amalia Gavea
''Where are you?''
''But answer came there none.''

Eliza Caine may have found the answer to her question at some point, but unfortunately, I never found mine as to why I was expecting so much from this ‘’ghost’’ story...A story that tried too hard to include many Gothic tropes, to appear scary and intellectual at the same time, but eventually fell flat on all levels, in my opinion. But for the sympathetic protagonist, the intriguing children and some scarce glimpses of a remotely creepy atmosph
B the BookAddict
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gothic-hist
“I blame Charles Dickens for the death of my father”

So begins John Boyne's gothic tale of a young woman, Eliza Crane, suddenly alone in mid 1800s London. Orphaned at twenty-one, and forced to leave home, she answers a rather cryptic advertisement for a governess position in a mansion, Gaudlin Hall, in Norfolk.

A brooding house, a series of mishaps, unanswered queries and the non-appearance of the parents make for a puzzling arrival for Eliza, not to mention the two sweet but precocious children s
Char
This was a haunted house story so Dickensian in style, Dickens himself is a catalyst within. I listened to the audio version, narrated by Alison Larkin.

I enjoyed this story of Eliza Caine attempting to fulfill her position as governess to two children, in a house almost falling down due to disrepair. How she got there and her attempt to keep the children safe I will leave for you to discover.

I liked the style of the storytelling and I enjoyed the character of Eliza, though at times she seemed
Shaun
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2013
Really, NPR ... one of the best books of 2013? Ugh!

This House is Haunted is absolutely, positively, irrefutably NOT one of the best books of 2013, and the fact that it made NPR's list disappoints me.

Attempting to write in Dickensian prose, John Boyne has indeed penned a ghost story, only it isn't an especially good one.

First and foremost, the main character Eliza Caine, a twenty-one-year old teacher who applies for a position as governess following the loss of her father (and sole family) only t
Dem
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Dem by: Lisa
Shelves: favorites
In my opinion John Boyne is one of Ireland's most versertile writters. I am rarly dispappointed when I pick up this author's novels and This House Is Haunted was a haunting and very satisfying read.

What makes a good Ghost stroy? For me it has to be set in Victorian times, with an isolated country manor and unexplainable happenings and you have my interest.

This house is haunted is set in Norfolk in a country house called Gaudin Hall. Eliza Canine arrives to take up her position as Governess.
Lisa
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is what I would call a good old traditional ghost story;
Large austere house - check
Tragic circumstances - check
Moody weather - check
Frightening children - check
Mystery surrounding what the hell is happening here - check

And it is brilliantly done!

I absolutely LOVE the main character Eliza Caine who has a good amount of wit about her and doesn't do 'damsel in distress'. She is the best thing about the book - a woman beyond her years in wisdom and for the time period in which the book is set.
Candi
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
"What if a soul departs this life but is neither in heaven nor hell? What if they remain?"

This was a fantastic, old-fashioned ghost story - it was just the ticket for a mid-October read to get me in the spirit of Halloween! John Boyne effectively created a very eerie, atmospheric setting for this book which takes place in England during the year 1867. The prose is quite tantalizing and drew me right into the story. I actually pictured each scene as if it were occurring in front of me on the big
Elaine
May 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
A quick glance at my GoodReads will confirm that I don't often give poor reviews. But this book deserves one. Despite this, I implore you to read it, for it is a book so bad it has to be read to be believed. From the beginning, with it's picture-perfect ghostly atmosphere, this book is more pomp than plot, and entirely fur coat and no knickers. Eliza Caine is painted as the ugly girl with the big heart. Or at least she was supposed to be. Her entire character falls as flat as John Boyne's attemp ...more
Fuchsia  Groan
Londres, 1867
Charles Dickens fue el culpable de la muerte de mi padre.

Estos días, en los que no buscaba otra cosa que algo con lo que pasar el rato cuando no podía dormir... qué mejor que una historia de fantasmas.

Eliza Caine tiene 21 años, es maestra y no muy agraciada, por lo que ella misma supone que probablemente nunca se casará. Huérfana de madre desde niña, su padre fallece y ella, sin familiares ni amigos, decide dar un giro radical a su vida en la capital y contesta a una oferta de empl
4.5 stars. I thoroughly enjoyed this ghost story. It was exactly what I was looking for: atmospheric, British, well-written, and as believable as books of this genre can be. It wasn't too predictable and there was even a bit of a "gotcha" ending. It loses half a star because the writing wasn't as stellar as I think books with a five star rating should be, and it was a bit predictable in places. But overall, it gave me what I was expecting, which is what it's all about, for me. I enjoyed it, and ...more
Janet Doolaege
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
I had been looking forward to reading this book, as I love a good ghost story, particularly those by M.R. James. I’d read a favourable short review and the cover looked intriguing.

What a disappointment. The story is sadly lacking in originality, with Charlotte Bronte, Arthur Conan Doyle and Henry James all showing through its flimsy surface. It starts promisingly but then lapses into gothic cliché, with the heroine being offered a post as a governess at creepy Gaudlin Hall in the wilds of the co
Carol
Ok, I'm happy....finally a good old-fashioned nineteenth century ghost story!

How would you like to attend a book reading by DICKENS himself telling a spooky tale? That is how this novel begins, and continues along in an unsettling manner for the new governess of Gaudlin Hall. For Eliza Caine, the secrets of the past are slowly uncovered, but "the presence" in the old house reveals itself from day one and becomes increasingly violent as the story evolves.

Not super scary, but still creepy good wit

Stepheny

John Boyne’s novel, This House is Haunted is an eerie tale set in London. The story takes place in the mid 1800’s and centers around Gaudlin Hall.

Our main character, Eliza Caine, has recently lost her father and takes a position as the governess for the Westerly children. From the moment Eliza arrives at the train station things start to happen that make her question her hasty decision to take on this new job.

When Eliza mentions in passing that she will be taking up residence as the new governe
Diane S ☔
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Although a haunted house with a governess and two young children is nothing new, this is a wonderful read for October. The atmosphere is just scary enough, the back story all the authors own with a few unique touches. A very young governess named Eliza Caine who is just wonderful. Two children, a girl and boy, though it was the young boy that I loved. A big old house with many secrets within and without and of course a mystery to solve. Who is haunting this house and why? The pace is quick and t ...more
Latasha
A nice ghost story

This is a nice old fashioned ghost story. We don't get many like this anymore. Good story, well written and likable characters.
Bettie☯
Description: 1867. On a dark and chilling night Eliza Caine arrives in Norfolk to take up her position as governess at Gaudlin Hall. As she makes her way across the station platform, a pair of invisible hands push her from behind into the path of an approaching train. She is only saved by the vigilance of a passing doctor.

It is the start of a journey into a world of abandoned children, unexplained occurrences and terrifying experiences which Eliza will have to overcome if she is to survive the s
Lisa *OwlBeSatReading*
Well that one ticked every single box.
Spooky, historical fiction. Simple story line, none of this to-ing and fro-ing that can sometimes get a bit tedious. Ghosts, eerie children, old mansion and posh talk of the era, how fabulous ;-)
Patrice Hoffman
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
This house is clearly haunted. So why stay there in this haunted, decaying, country estate? For the sake of a good story, that’s why. 21 year-old Eliza Caine is left parentless, optionless, and eventually homeless when coming across an ad in the newspaper for employment as a governess. Her grief for losing her father, of which she blames on Charles Dickens, motivates her to leave work as a school teacher in hopes of finding a new beginning in Norfolk. She just didn’t anticipate her new beginning ...more
Rachel
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: irish, horror, own, 2018, gothic
This House is Haunted is essentially a love letter to Victorian and Gothic literature - it's like if you put The Turn of the Screw, Jane Eyre, and the complete works of Charles Dickens into a blender, with an occasionally tongue in cheek contemporary spin. It's also a reminder of why John Boyne is one of my favorite authors; there's such a compulsively readable quality to his prose, where it's witty and compelling and tense all at once.

I feel like a very common pitfall of the ghost story horror
Kaora
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I have been in the mood for a good ghost story for quite some time.

Unfortunately while this was okay, it wasn't a great book.

I listened to the audiobook and the narrator did a great job of doing the voices. I think I enjoyed it more because of her.

That being said I felt a little like the author spoon-fed me a bit. For example, he hammers home the coldness of the tap water, mentioning it twice in a few chapters. I thought it odd at first, but then when he uses the character being burned by that s
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
3 stars for this pleasant but not particularly scary tale of Eliza Kane who takes up her position as governess at Gaudlin Hall following the death of her father.

After surviving a near death experience at the train station, and having been saved by the local Doctor, Eliza finds the children alone - no parents, no servants, no governess, and the children will not explain.

Eliza soon learns that she is the fifth governess in six months, all but one of them having met an untimely end. And as attempt
nettebuecherkiste
England im 19. Jahrhundert: Die junge Lehrerin Eliza Caine lebt mit ihrem Vater in London. Als letzterer verstirbt, beschließt Eliza, einen Neustart zu wagen, und nimmt eine in der Zeitung annoncierte Stelle als Gouvernante auf dem Land an. Bei ihrer Ankunft am Bahnhof hat sie einen Beinahe-Unfall, denkt sich aber nichts dabei. Merkwürdig findet sie jedoch das Gebaren des Kutschers, der sie abholt, und die Tatsache, dass ihre zukünftigen Schützlinge bis auf die Gouvernante das Herrenhau
Susan
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eliza Caine is a young woman, who lives in London with her father. He works in a museum and she teaches in a school for girls; their lives uneventful but happy. However, when her father dies suddenly, Eliza decides on impulse to answer a newspaper advertisement for a governess in Norfolk. To her surprise, she is offered the post with what seems great haste and, almost before she has time to consider, she is on a train and leaving her old life behind. However, on arrival at the fog shrouded stati ...more
Rane
Jul 25, 2014 rated it liked it

Being the time of year for a nice cozy spooky read. I was happy to have come across a nice Victorian ghost story and with the title alone being a complete spoiler I hoped for a nice read.

This book is pretty standard Gothic novel from a haunted house, scary kids, and a poor overworked underpaid governess stuck cleaning up the whole mess.

Proving once again that the work of a governess is a.) never done b.) sucked royally and c.) needs better health and life insurance

In Eliza Caine's case aft
Cheryl
Nov 11, 2013 rated it did not like it
Poor character development, poor pacing, no suspense. Reads like a YA book. If the heroine shows no fear of what's happening, why should the reader be scared?
Nicole~
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent old fashioned Victorian ghosty tale. I couldn't put it down today, and even paused "Downton Abbey" just to finish it.
Nancy Oakes
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghostly-tales
How's this for perfect timing? The American release of this book is just around the corner, just in time for Halloween. My thanks to Other Press for an ARC of this book, although I had actually preordered my own copy some time back.

This House is Haunted incorporates a number of my favorite components, including a Victorian setting, a governess, an English country home, and of course, a ghost that has the run of the house and goes around scaring people half to death or worse. As in many well-wri
Goodreads Ireland: Q4 2018 QIR: This House is Haunted Discussion Thread 4 11 Nov 18, 2018 10:54PM
Question About Ending (spoilers)? 2 28 Mar 31, 2018 02:18PM
Amor y letras : The Enchanted House 21 22 Apr 07, 2017 12:20PM
Horror Reading Ch...: September 2016 Group Read: This House is Haunted 11 19 Oct 11, 2016 08:33AM
Around the Year i...: This House is Haunted, by John Boyne 1 19 Jan 19, 2016 09:26PM
The Readers: YWTB #8 - John Boyne 1 30 Aug 12, 2013 05:47AM
  • The Mist in the Mirror
  • Florence & Giles
  • The Ghost Hunters (The Ghost Hunters #1)
  • The Seance
  • A Dark Dividing
  • Ghosts by Gaslight
  • Whispers in the Dark
  • Late Victorian Gothic Tales
John Boyne (born 30 April 1971 in Dublin) is an Irish novelist.

He was educated at Trinity College, Dublin, and studied Creative Writing at the University of East Anglia, where he won the Curtis Brown prize. In 2015, he was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Letters by UEA.

John Boyne is the author of ten novels for adults and five for young readers, as well as a collection of short stories.

His novel
“There is cruelty in the world Eliza, you can see that, can't you?
It surrounds us. It breathes on us. We spend our life trying to escape it.”
11 likes
“You are not there, Father,” I cried. “I wake up at Gaudlin Hall, I spend most of my day there, I sleep there at night. And throughout it all there is but one thought running through my mind.”
“And that is?”