Start by marking “Pitch Green (Dimensions in Death, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pitch Green (Dimensions in Death, #1)

Pitch Green

(Dimensions in Death #1)

Trona is a small, foul-smelling, mostly insignificant town in California. Besides a booming chemical plant, the only thing that characterizes this dismal town is dirt, sagebrush, and an enormous abandoned mansion.

The mansion is, admittedly, the only notable addition to Trona, but it’s something everyone tries to avoid due to its creepy facade. Everyone except for Camm Smi
Published March 16th 2013 by Jolly Fish Press (first published March 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Pitch Green, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pitch Green

Amy Lignor
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh, yes…Look out Grimm Brothers - there’s a new ‘team’ in town that knows all about how to combine YA with the realm of horror and suspense and their names are The Brothers Washburn.

Trona, California is the location of this unique tale - an isolated mining town that’s beyond boring and basically filled with nothing but sand that sits between Death Valley and…the middle of nowhere.

When we begin, it is Halloween, and eleven-year-old Cammy is working hard to corral the neighborhood children as she
Erleen Alvarez
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
For more of my reviews, check out Books For YA!

If I would describe reading Pitch Green in 3 words, it would be spine-tingling, action-packed, awesomeness. It's not everyday that I can find a horror book that can scare the hell out of me but Pitch Green effortlessly did that to me. It was definitely hard to put down.

The characters jump right out of the pages. They're realistically flawed and super relatable. Camm and Cal are the most badass mystery-solving duo I've ever encountered in my entire r
Audrey
What a great, fun creepy book! It’s very clean, being YA, but still plenty scary. There’s a monster and a creepy mansion connected to it. Camm and Cal are great characters—not stupid or annoying—and they complement each other well. The writing is smooth and feels experienced. Just be warned that children and dogs are NOT safe in this book.
Patti's Book Nook
*I was sent an e-pub of this from the kind folks at Jolly Fish Press, in exchange for an honest review*. Here's a link to my blog review:

Good Young Adult scary monster book, just in time for Halloween. Currently a Kindle deal for $1.99!
Mandy

I received Pitch Green in return for an honest review from the publisher Jolly Fish Press. Camm is still haunted seven years later by the disappearance of her best friends little brother on Halloween night. She was responsible for all the kids and when Hughie fell behind she let herself get distracted by the time she went to look for him he was gone. The sheriff searched the mansion looking for Hughie but came up empty handed he become one of many unsolved mysteries.

Now seven years later another
Kayla
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wwwwoooowwww! I could NOT put this book down! Thanks Brothers Washburn for allowing me the chance to review an AUG of Pitch Green. I literally just sat and read through the entire novel this afternoon. I COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN! Yes, Yes... I had several things I should've been doing - like dishes, laundry, and cleaning up around the house... but those things can wait...

I haven't read a horror novel that grabbed me like Pitch Green since I read Dreamcatcher by Stephen King! It's like Rose Red mee
Sarah Simpson
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was paced really well and the characters were well developed. I could really imagine what was being written about, the detail was really good, just the right balance to spark the imagination without going over the top, which can get boring. Really well written and an unusual story that was totally not predictable. It was really spooky and I got very scared. It was an adrenaline rush! I think this book is going places and that we will be hearing more from The Brothers Washburn! I highly ...more
Diane
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Camm & Cal hooked me! I finished Pitch Green in less than 2 days. Once into the story, I couldn't put the book down! Now I'm looking forward to the next book in the series. What will happen next, I wonder?!
Janet Jensen
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it

Be Afraid. Be Very, Very Afraid. Pitch Green by Berk and Andy Washburn, the First installment in the highly anticipated Dimensions in Death series.

Trona is a small, smoggy, mostly insignificant town in California. Besides a booming chemical plant, the only thing that characterizes this dismal town is dirt, sagebrush, and an enormous abandoned mansion. The mansion is, admittedly, the only notable addition to Trona, but it’s something everyone tries to avoid due to its creepy facade. Everyone exce
Heather
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
(This review can also be found on my blog The (Mis)Adventures of a Twenty-Something Year Old Girl).

Those who know me know that YA horror is my favourite genre. I was lucky enough to be asked by Jolly Fish Press to review a book that fit that genre. The book was Pitch Green (Dimensions in Death #1) by The Brothers Washburn. I definitely wasn't disappointed with this book.

Camm and Cal have been best friends forever. They've pretty much gone through everything together including the disappearance o
Krista
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young Adult, Adults, Thriller Readers Suspense Readers and Horror Readers
I really enjoyed this book for a Young Adult Horror novel is was amazing. Every chapter kept me on my toes wanting to read more. Horror/Thrillers are sometimes a gamble they can be predictable, the plots can be "cheesy" not worth the read. Not Pitch Green I had a hard time putting this book down. The plot and story line was original at times reminded me of a goosebumps movie but for older kids!

Camm is a girl that carries the pain of Halloween night years ago. She was out trick er treating with f
Jody
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Pitch Green is a very fast paced YA horror story that will keep you on the edge of your seat, you will not want to put it down. Introducing Cammy, and Cal, they have been next-door neighbors and best friends since the 3rd grade.

When Cal was eleven and Cammy was ten, they were going trick-or-treating and taking the younger kids with them and were to keep an eye on them. Cal’s little brother Hughie was among the group of kids they had to watch. Cammy dreaded it when they had to pass the old haunte
Kat (Why Read)
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Bad things lurk in the dark. Alone? Be afraid! Be very afraid. People go missing all the time; and in a small town in the Mojave desert, children go missing EVERY year. Eighteen year Camelot Mist Smith was eleven when her six year old neighbor, Hughie, went missing on Halloween. Seven years later, while Cam can never ignore the past, Hughie's older brother, California Gold Jones just wants to forget about the void in his home and focus on his promising jock future. Cam and Cal are still friends, ...more
Lehua Parker
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jolly-fish-press
Camm and Cal have a problem that’s stinkier than a sulfur lava vent, creepier than a naked rat tail, and hungrier than a shark. It’s a problem and puzzle they’ll have to solve before it strikes again and another child disappears.

No pressure.

Pitch Green, by Berk and Andy Washburn publishing as the Brothers Washburn, is the first in their young adult Dimensions in Death series. Set in the Mohave desert, Pitch Green introduces us to Trona, a small California town whose only claim to fame is a dry l
Liesel Hill
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal, horror
I received a copy of Pitch Green through my publisher, Jolly Fish Press for review. I read it in preparation for the tour, but I confess, I didn't really know what it was about. Because of that, I picked it up with no expectations whatsoever. What I found was a delightful, well-written, YA horror story. I breezed through this novel with no trouble at all, and always excited to read more.

Camm is a typical teenage girl, dreaming of life at a big Unversity to, in part, escape her small town. Childr
Rebekah
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
This novel has the classic creep factor recipe. Take Trona, a small town that is run down and where nothing grows and mix it with a hidden mansion that is falling to ruin. People in the town say it is haunted and children try to stay away from it. Then on Halloween night Cal's brother Hughie disappears. Fast forward six years and see how the tragedy has affected the lives of those who were there that night. Camm carries guilt for having left Hughie alone to save a child almost hit by a car. And ...more
Terron James
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another ARC (Advance Reading Copy) has made its way to my doorstep, but this time from The Brothers Washburn. Berk and Andy Washburn , aka “The Brothers Washburn,” are both lawyers by profession, writers at heart. They grew up together roaming the wastelands of the Mojave Desert, where most of this novel series is set. Both brothers returned from lengthy and successful careers in the wastelands of the law to write YA horror stories based on the wastelands of their youth. They currently live nort ...more
JenniferJ
Amazed at what The Brothers Washburn have put together here! It has a hint of everything in it including the mystery of people, mostly children, that have been disappearing for many years but yet the cases keep being discarded and everything is very hush hush when it comes to the huge and creepy Searles Mansion which seems to be at the root of it all.

I loved Camm and Cal! They were like the kids next door, so real and what you'd typically expect in actual teens. The chemistry between them was so
Maria Cisneros Toth
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
AUGH!!! I knew there was a good reason why I stay out of basements. I just started reading "Pitch Green" last night and it was so freaky, scary good, I couldn’t put it down. It’s so well-written, fast paced, so full of tension that I nearly jumped out of my skin a few times. Really! Strong characters, good storytelling voice, and lots of surprise twists and turns. One suggestion for the reader, if you scare easily you might want to leave the lights on. I sure did. Highly recommending this book t ...more
Ambre
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Pitch Green was a horrifyingly delicious book! I read it all in one sitting. I loved the main character Camm, she was smart, tough, and a great lead for a horror book. She didn't just sit there and look pretty but she was out solving mysteries. I like how the book added humor in just the right places to help ease the scare before it scared you again. I am glad I bought and read this book! It is definitely a must read for anyone who likes scary stories!!!
Kathy Dickinson
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome, fun, creepy, scary, & just a great read! This may be a book for young adults, but this older adult enjoyed this book immensely. Won this book on goodreads & I want to thank the BROTHERS WASHBURN for giving me a chance to read there book. Rates right up there with DEAN KOONTZ whom is a favorite of mine. Look forward to your next book!
Isaac Washburn
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I don't usually like horror, but the characters in this story really pulled me through it. It is the kind of book that I want to read again, but haven't yet, because I am a little afraid too.
Breena
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
I am not a horror fan but this was Good!
I can't wait for the next two to come out.
I appreciated the clean horror (is that possible?) of the story.

Still gives me the shivers...
Rhiannon
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was awesome!!! I had to read it during the day so Iwouldn't get freaked out at night.
Ashley
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Would I recommend this for an adult? Never. For a young adult, most likely. I guess that's why it's YA lit.

I'm a little disappointed in this book. I don't want to go into depth, but essentially, as the questions add on and the government gets involved, it becomes unrealistic. It's not how the town would react; is the government that negligent; did they really expect no one to have the wherewithal to ask questions when they're children are going missing? To some degree, questions are welcome; it
Glenn Hammer
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, creepy
I really enjoyed this book
Liz Hoffman
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Camm and Cal are next door neighbors in search of answers hidden within the supernatural mansion in their desert town. This was a creepy & intriguing young adult horror!
Celese
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
“The Brothers Washburn are masters at writing for Young Adults. Every character is believable, every description is vivid, and every moment is a surprise. The story was the perfect mix of frightening and intriguing that made it impossible to put down.”

I had the opportunity to read a new book called “Pitch Green.” I was excited to read this book since it is based in the area that I live. I never am sure what to expect from new authors, but I have to say that I have not yet had a surprise quite l
Elsie Park
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
In this story, young children have turned up missing without a trace for over 50 years in Trona. Cal and Camm, friends since childhood, set out to discover why. Their investigation leads them to an abandoned mansion next to the chemical plant. But there's more to the old building than its dark halls. A sinister presence inhabits the place and has set it's sights on the interloping duo as they cross into its territory.

Pitch Green, a young adult suspense/horror by The Brothers Washburn (published
Liesel
"Pitch Green" has a sophistication and maturity of writing lacking in similar YA horror novels. The swiftly paced storyline keeps you reading. The novel is along the lines of satisfying eerie suspense. It would appeal to fans of R.L. Stine.

The town of Trona, Searles mansion, and surrounding Mojave Desert was authentic. When it came to the description of potentially gruesome scenes, it was vague enough not to tread too far into graphic gore. The decidedly creepy clock, as depicted on the cover, w
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Dissension
  • Dancing with Deception (Dancing, #0.5)
  • Eaters: The Beginning
  • Eleanor (The Unseen, #1)
  • Grimm End
  • Shadows of Valor
  • Nissa: A Contemporary Fairy Tale
  • Princess Miri
  • Comes the Night (Casters, #1)
  • Styrofoam Throne
  • The Huaca
  • Fix by Force
  • Third Time's the Charm (Aliso Creek #2)
  • Fairy Godmothers, Inc.
  • Anomaly (The Birthright Series, #1)
  • Mississippi Cotton
  • Spectacle
  • Asking for Trouble (London Confidential, #1)

Dimensions in Death (3 books)
  • Mojave Green (Dimensions in Death, #2)
  • Fatal Green (Dimensions in Death, #3)