Start by marking “Never Too Late” as Want to Read:
Never Too Late

Never Too Late

Expect the unexpected, especially in a room filled with books…

Honoria Duchamp is well aware that men often consider widows easy prey for the role of mistress. What else could explain the attentions of handsome Lord Devin, and his visits to her bookshop? Nearly half Nora’s age, the Viscount has even shown interest in the printing press with which she creates pamphlets on Lo
Published May 2nd 2013 by eKensington (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Never Too Late, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Too Late

Caz
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Nobody. Unless you're a masochist and like badly written books
Never Too Late was one of those books where what could have been a decent premise was ruined by poor execution.

I was initially intrigued by the fact that the more usual gender/age roles were reversed, with the heroine being forty and the hero twenty-six. Even now, a couple in which the woman is considerably older than the man still raises eyebrows. I thought there was potential in the idea of setting an older woman/younger man romance in 1851, to explore the obstacles and prejudices such a coup
Erika Williams
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is one of those books where I'm not quite sure to begin with addressing my feelings towards it. The book starts out with an interesting enough premise, with the heroine being the older one in the relationship as opposed to the usual age gap with the older man pursuing the younger woman. But so much of this book was a disappointment to me that I just couldn't bring myself to enjoy it. There were times when I would read whole pages and my mind would blank so badly that I had no idea what I ha ...more
Farrah
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
My Rating: 3.5/5

A nice historical romance. Not my favorite, but definitely enjoyable.

I haven't read many historical romances where the heroine is significantly older than the hero, so this was a different experience. It actually got me wondering why most people, even today, don't even blink at an older man and younger woman, but get fussy over an older woman and a younger man. A strange double standard. It was realistic in its portrayal of how people might react.

Nora was a good heroine. My one
Carrie
**I would like to thank Kensington Books for providing me with an arc of Never Too Late, via NetGalley**

Lord Devin has been given the job of investigating Honoria Duchamp and the controversial pamphlets she's been printing. Honoria is a widow and the owner of Evans Books, she has also has gotten the attention of those who would like to see these printings come to and end.

Upon being given the assignment, Honoria Duchamp was not at all what Lord Devin expected. She is not at all the bookish matr
Beth
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mrs. Honoria Duchamp is a widowed owner of a book shop in London. So why would Lord Devin have any interest in her.

Lord Devin has been assigned the task of ruining the widow Duchamp, he is being blackmailed with a scandal that will threaten his family. He has to stop Mrs. Duchamp from printing pamphlets about social disgraces she has uncovered. Apparently, one of Mrs. Duchamp’s pamphlets has hit close to home for some very powerful people making her a target with some very dangerous enemies.

As
AG Reads
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Boring and poorly written. While the plot could have been interesting, the writing did not flow well and the dialogue was stilted and often inane. The h's characterization was all over the place such that I could never get a grasp on her and didn't like her.

It was a struggle to get through this book and not worth the time.
Kathie (katmom)
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Expect the unexpected, especially in a room filled with books…

Honoria Duchamp is well aware that men often consider widows easy prey for the role of mistress. What else could explain the attentions of handsome Lord Devin, and his visits to her bookshop? The much younger Viscount has even shown interest in the printing press with which she creates pamphlets on London’s basest injustices. Yet his chief interest appears to be in her… Coerced to investigate Nora’s controversial pamphlets, Devin exp
Aerin
Amara Royce has written a book that does exactly what I love books to do: turned everything about a genre upside down, with political commentary, steamy romance, bluestockings galore, strong female characters, strong female friendships, and, of course, a dashing and handsome young man who is every bit as noble as he is amazing in bed. If you know your Scheherazade from your Shakespeare, or have dreamed about making love in the rain, you should read this book.
Shona
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
A mature heroine who must work in trade (shock! horror!) to survive, gives this romance some interesting twists that many regencies lack. There is a serious and worthwhile sub-plot, but, of course, there is also romance and, better yet, a series of fascinating characters, some fictional and some real life. Loved the way that Royce wove famous literary and cultural figures of the time into her work.
Diane K. Peterson
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Never Too Late is an appropriate title for this May-December romance of an older working woman and a younger lord. It is the debut novel for Amara Royce and shows great promise. Her writing style is clever and brings depth to the characters.

Widowed Honoria (Nora) Duchamp is suspicious, but intrigued by the attentions of Lord Devin. He is an attractive young viscount and she is an older bookstore owner and crusader for the mistreated. It makes no sense when he keeps appearing just at the time she
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
An unusual Victorian historical romance in as much as the hero Lord Alexander Devin is twenty six and the heroine, Honoria Duchamp is forty. Despite the fact that this was probably not likely to happen in 1851 it is a very readable romance with a mature beyond his years hero and fiesty heroine who investigate some unsavoury aspects of London's underworld together. But both are hiding secrets from each other despite their attraction and it is this as much as their unconventional relationship whic ...more
Las
May 25, 2013 added it
Shelves: historical, romance, dnf
DNF. I thought the relationship and emotions started too quickly. The hero was supposed to be spying on her from the beginning, but because of the instant attraction it hadn't gone anywhere by page 100, which is where I gave up. There was nothing at all bad about this story, but it just didn't work for me. The author has a lovely voice and I'll be checking out her future books.
Zan Marie Steadham
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
This is a great read! NEVER TOO LATE is a rousing romance with a big heart for the social ills of Victorian England. Add a wonderful flip of the usual older hero/younger heroine and it moves into welcome new territory. You need to read this one!
Mandi Schreiner
Mar 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
This one was too slow for me. Characters were a little too dry. Their romance unfolded nicely but it was hard to get into. Review coming.
Beyond the Squee
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This review may also be found at:
Beyond the Squee: Book Reviews
www.beyondthesquee.com

Expect the unexpected, especially in a room filled with books…

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
Book source ~ Many thanks to NetGalley and Kensington for providing a review copy.

Honoria ‘Nora’ Duchamp runs her family’s bookstore and even though she has a Duke in her family tree she’ll never be seen as more than a widow of the merchant class and below the station of her patrons. When Lord Devin stops in to her store one day and then begins to flirt with her, she is taken aback. What could the young and handsome Devin want with her? And why is she suddenly daydreaming of things that could ne
Stacy Sties
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story; it is a historical romance with an interesting twist on the typical and an excellent plot outside of just the romance as well. The author does an excellent job of giving you a back story of the main characters but not giving so much away in the beginning that you learn more about each character as they learn about each other. I was really impressed about how everything came together, nothing was forced and the story flowed beautifully. I will be looking for more of h ...more
Kelly_Instalove
Grade: B-

“I will never be done with you,” he said, low and fierce.

While I had issues with the rather melodramatic plot and the heroine’s Deep Dark Secret, I loved Royce’s voice and storytelling. The hero and heroine were equally compelling, the relationship-building was spot-on, and the sexy times were hot. I'm looking forward to more from this debut author.
Milena Benini
This is one of those books I should have loved -- a bookstore keeping heroine who's been fending for herself her whole life, positive secondary female characters, Victorian era -- but it just never delivered. The chemistry between the main characters was unconvincing, the plot jumped all over the place, and the whole just seemed like it was duct-taped together. Still, I might give Royce another try, because I really did like the setup.
Lara Lacombe
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
Loved it! A fantastic debut from a talented author. Honoria is a lovely heroine, and she has great chemistry with Alex. I particularly enjoyed the way the story put a slight twist on traditional romance tropes. A very enjoyable book!
Stella
May 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great story I devoured in no time. Enjoyed how different it was in certain aspects (older/spinster widow heroine - younger dashing rake hero).

Loved it, detailed review to be posted soon.
Kelsey
May 03, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, free
as far as cheesy romances go, this is one of the worst.
Angela
Apr 15, 2014 marked it as tbr-lost-interest
15 April 2014: $0.00 FREE on Kindle
Moonlight Reads
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Please read our full review at www.moonlightreads.com.
Tracie
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It is not something I would normally choose to read, however, thanks to Mike Fierro I. gave it a try. loved the characters!
Maria
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story about an older woman/younger man. I want to see more of this kind of historical romance. For my full review: http://bit.ly/12Lg0mY
Traci
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great book, I read it in a day. I hope there are more!
Sue
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't finish this one. Somehow, I just couldn't get into it, even at over 30% in. Sorry.
Melanie
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once in a blue moon an author will take a chance and write a romance involving an older, mature heroine and a younger, dashing hero. I am so happy when that happens!

It makes for an interesting and very entertaining romance filled with drama and suspense as well as some fascinating characters that will stay with you for some time.

Please don't let the difference in their ages deter you from reading this story. The age difference between Nora and Devin is what makes this story so compelling.

I high
Kyla Lockwood
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty good book

I gave it a four out of five because it took me alot longer to read than i useally do in a historical romance. Some of the book dragged on for me. I guess i was bored and easily was able to put it down.
Though the story line was good and the the characters strong. I rather love how the ending was cast and the wit of other famous authors entertwinex.
« previous 1 3 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: "Never Too Late" by Amara Royce 1 1 Aug 27, 2014 09:08AM

• The Seduction of Emily
  • Scoundrel for Hire (Velvet Lies, #1)
  • Lady Lissa's Liaison (To Woo an Heiress, #1)
  • The Seduction of Lady Phoebe (The Marriage Game, #1)
  • The Tycoon and the Texan
  • By Design
  • The Marquess of Cake (Redcakes, #1)
  • The Wicked Wedding of Miss Ellie Vyne (Sydney Dovedale, #2)
  • Sins of the Father
  • Something About Her
  • Everybody's Daughter
  • The Trivia Lover's Guide to the World: Geography for the Lost and Found
  • Dover Beach (The Last P.I., #1)
  • Rogues, Rakes & Jewels
  • Man Law (Private Protectors, #2)
  • Lord Gray's List (The London List, #1)
  • Seducing Charlotte (Accidental Peers, #1)
  • Married in Haste (Marriage, #1)
Happy endings. Historical research. Put me in massive library with my laptop, and I'm in heaven.

I write historical romance set mainly in Victorian Britain. Currently, I'm focusing on the mid-nineteenth century (the 1850s), a period of social, political, industrial, technological and personal transformation.

In my other life, I'm a community college professor of English literature and composition.

A