Start by marking “Piercing the Darkness (Darkness, #2)” as Want to Read:
Piercing the Darkness (Darkness, #2)

Piercing the Darkness

(Darkness #2)

The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
John 1:5 (ESV)

It all begins in Bacon's Corner, a tiny farming community far from the interstate . . . An attempted murder, a case of mistaken-or is it covered up?-identity, and a ruthless lawsuit against a struggling Christian school. Sally Beth Roe, a young loner, a burnout, a kind of "leftover hippie,
Published June 26th 2003 by Crossway Books (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Piercing the Darkness, please sign up.
Becky Both books are great. Two or three characters from the first book appear in guest-star roles in the second book. But I don't think it's essential to r…moreBoth books are great. Two or three characters from the first book appear in guest-star roles in the second book. But I don't think it's essential to read the books in order. (less)

Start your review of Piercing the Darkness (Darkness, #2)
Lynai
Aug 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-a-copy
Even though I gave 5 stars to This Present Darkness, I love Piercing The Darkness more. The second book has touched me much deeply and has even moved me to tears as I “journeyed” with Sally Beth Roe until she finally found her salvation. I love the hide-and-seek-cat-and-mouse mystery that shrouds Roe’s character, and I feel strongly attached to her in a very emotional way. I can relate to the questions and confusions she laid down in her letters to Tom Harris. I especially loved that the story h ...more
Barbara
Dec 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book was even better than the first one. We need reminders about those evil spirits all around us every day. The same supernatural characters also appeared in this book, and the plot was even more exciting than #1.
Sarita
Wow. The first book was amazing, but the second book was even greater. This was full of action as well as suspense as you follow Sally visiting all the significant places in her past in search of answers.

After Sally escapes barely from a plot to kill her, she escapes in search of answers and trying to stay on step ahead of her killers. Angels are trying to protect her while demons from her past is trying to destroy her.

This is one amazing book of spiritual warfare I would recommend to any Christ
Jerry
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Darkness series, of which this is the second and final volume, revolutionized Christian literature as we know it. Without it, there would be no Beverly Lewis Amish novels, no "end times" fiction, nor pretty much popular Christian literature as it is today. I hadn't read any parts of this series in a while, but I devoured it in one sitting, despite its length. I'm not sure that spiritual warfare is exactly as this book describes, but it still made for an entertaining read.
Keiki Hendrix
Dec 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A supernatural, page turner. Opens your eyes to the real unseen world. Just because you can't see something doesn't mean it isn't there.

An absolute must read.
Natalie Vellacott
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Worth reading as long as you remember it's fiction!

This is the second I've read in the series. I reserved judgement after reading the first book as I had conflicting thoughts about the subject matter and how it was dealt with. The two books are similar; occultic practices concentrated in a school (in this case) result in a cosmic battle between good and evil/angels and demons and the humans mimic the battle on earth.

The writing is compelling, although repetitive in places and I got a bit bored
David Sarkies
Dec 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to David by: A Fundamentalist Christian
Shelves: fantasy
We must be prepared to face our demons
25 December 2012

The main reason that I did not like this book was because it was shoved down my throat by a fundamentalist Christian when I was twenty years old and living in a halfway house because I had pretty much stuffed up my life. To be honest, I had been charged with a number of criminal offences, stolen about $1000.00 (in 1990s money) off of my parents, and was hanging around with a guy that was not only a bad influence, but also a bad smell. Before
Jasmine
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this book which I listened to via audio which was fantastic. It felt like I was watching a movie without the screen. I liked it a bit more than the first. Beautiful story. Like I said with the first, there is more truth in this book than you realize. Got me praying.
Gary Butler
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
79th book read in 2014.

Number 158 out of 422 on my all time book list.

Follow the link below to see my video review:

Jeanette
Jul 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: personal-library
Anne Hawn Smith
Oct 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comfort-read
This sequel was just as exciting as the first book and deals with a subject that is becoming an increasing problem and that is the encroachment of anti Christian bias in our schools. The quasi-religious activities such as using a mantra or acquiring a spirit guide are being practiced in our public schools and are not benign exercises in values clarification. In areas where there are no Christian schools, or other alternatives, people are turning more and more to homeschooling.

The small church sc
C.J. Darlington
This book is the one that first made me want to be a writer. One of my all time faves. I have read it multiple times, and that says something for me. A classic!
Joseph Rudin
Jun 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is classic Peretti. He creates a situation in which the angels of heaven do actual battle with the demons of hell in a bid to help a group of people in a small town overcome the biggest personal and legal battles of their lives. Peretti is masterful at creating a story in which he has asked the question, "What if spiritual warfare looked like real warfare?", and then making that come to life in his words.

Piercing the Darkness follows the same heavenly warriors from the book This Prese
Ellen Maze
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a terrific sequel to THIS PRESENT DARKNESS. This one centers around the real problem we have in the USA which is demonic practice sneaking into our schools. Very well-done as usual and I want to read it again!
Memz Turaga
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own-a-copy
wow....This is one amazing book of spiritual warfare I would recommend to any Christian reader. Beautiful book written by Frank Peretti.

Atalia
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book made me realize the really importance of the prayer. I recommend this book for eveyone, is very good. Loved i!
Joshua
Jun 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: religious
Loved reading this book back in high school. Opened my eyes to possibilities in the spiritual realm that I had not seen/considered before. Very cool.
Matthew
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book only gets two stars for its ability to create effective suspense, and the inventive narrative structure which combines the drama of the human world with the drama of the conflict between angels and demons. Otherwise, this narrative is full of stereotyping from an evangelical conservative perspective, which in retrospect makes many of its claims laughable. For this reason, it has not stood up well under the test of time. Some of the outrageous evangelical stereotypes espoused by the aut ...more
Randy Tramp
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My Thoughts: I read this book several years ago and wanted to revisit it. This time I chose the audio version, read by Frank Peretti. The music, the reading - incredible. My heart beat faster as tension rose. I loved the story then, I like it even more now.

There is a kingdom we can't see. Peretti revealed that hidden realm in a way that made it alive. My faith increased, my love for the Bible deepened. I'll probably listen to this book again and again. It's that good.
Nike Chillemi
Mar 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
If you believe that angels are literally in the hen house and demons are lurking behind every sagging fence, this book is for you. The book is entertaining as the battle in the heavens reaches fever pitch, but it also has a sobering message about legal maneuvering that can take place on the earth.
Jae Green
Jan 07, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Even though this book is listed under Fiction... I believe that it definitely has some truth to it... If you have a relationship with Christ and you want to know something about the spiritual realm this book will definitely enlighten you!
Sharon
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Changed my perception of the world and life in general, way back in the 90's
Jacob Aitken
Major blog review coming later. I'm going to tie it in with Texe Marrs' book on cults.
Becky
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First sentence: It could have begun in any town. Bacon's Corner was nothing special, just one of those little farming towns far from the interstate, nothing more than small hollow dot on the AAA road map, with exit signs that offered gas, no lodging, maybe a little food if the place was open, and little more. But it began in Bacon's Corner.

Premise/plot: Piercing the Darkness is a companion book to This Present Darkness. Some of the characters of This Present Darkness--including some of the angel
Donovan
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, thriller
This is the second book and sequel to This Present Darkness and I found it to be as good if not better than the first. I need to point out it is heavily Christian in its content but don't let that put you off. Although I am not a Christian, I did find this to be quite a good read and was given to me (with This Present Darkness) while I was going through a particularly difficult period in my life. It provides an interesting and contemporary look at Angels & Demons in a setting that is quite belie ...more
Alexander Draganov
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
More like 4.5 stars, but because I was harsh with the first part, I'd be generous with the rating of the second part. Multi-layered, gripping story of spiritual warfare, in which author Frank Peretti mixes political thriller and epic battles between angels and demons with strong human story of forgiveness and redemption. I guess that Peretti will be considered to be too conservative for many readers, but really, after the onslaught of ultra liberal books in recent years, his "Darkness" novels se ...more
Jennifer Dow
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: modern-fiction
As a young girl I read this book. It made all the difference to me as I faced a decision to follow a path of new age religion or Christianity. Through this book I saw that the intrigue and depth of Christianity was more than I had originally thought. I was compelled to choose the path of Christianity largely because of this book. I also suspect the prayers of those who loved me had much to do wit it as well.
Andrew
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Peretti's early works are classics. Read them as fiction, not as sources of spiritual truth or theology. The truth that is in them is that prayer is a vital matter. Aside from that, there's a lot to be desired. But if you read them as stories, as works of fiction rather than theology books, they are quite enjoyable. Solid plot, believable and relatable characters, and the suspense builds to an explosive conclusion.
Kara
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is not perfect.

It is, in fact, quite far from it. ;)

But it's one of those books that I read years and years ago, in late middle/early high school, that I loved so much then that I can't help but still get enjoyment out of it now.

As an adult, I see the plot holes, the theological problems, the ethical problems, and the clunky dialogue.

But I still think it's fun. :)
Adrielle
Jul 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
One of my all time favourite novels. In part because I am able to connect with it spiritually and the other because it is well constructed and written. I laughed, I cried and I wanted to do it all over again. I think I have read this four times now and will do so again. Not quite as good as the first but most definitely brilliant in its own right.

• The Prayer of Jabez:  Breaking Through to the Blessed Life
  • 90 Minutes in Heaven: A True Story of Death and Life
  • Left Behind (Left Behind, #1)
  • Battlefield Of The Mind: Winning The Battle In Your Mind
  • The Screwtape Letters
  • Mere Christianity
  • Hinds' Feet on High Places
  • Experiencing God: Knowing and Doing the Will of God, Workbook
  • White: The Great Pursuit (The Circle, #3)
  • The Power of a Praying Wife
  • The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here for?
  • The Practice of the Presence of God
  • Redeeming Love
FROM HIS WEBSITE:
With more than 12 million novels in print, Frank Peretti is nothing short of a publishing phenomenon and has been called “America’s hottest Christian novelist.”

Peretti is a natural storyteller who, as a youngster in Seattle, regularly gathered the neighborhood children for animated storytelling sessions. After graduating from high school, he began playing banjo with a local blueg

Darkness (2 books)
  • This Present Darkness (Darkness, #1)

News & Interviews

“No amount of lies, no matter how cleverly couched, will ever outstrip or outlast God’s truth, nor will any lie ever outreach His grace. The Lord knows those who are His, His sheep hear His voice, and the arm of the Lord is never so short that He cannot save.” 7 likes
“TAL HAD TO laugh. Hardly presentable! Wasn’t it strange, the way humans looked at themselves with eyes of flesh and not of the Spirit? Certainly that dear woman had been through mire and filth of every degree; she was scarred, exhausted, ragged, and dirty. But to the angels, she appeared as God Himself saw her, just as any other redeemed saint of the living God: pure, shining, clean, dressed in garments as white as snow.” 6 likes