Start by marking “Binds (Binds, #1)” as Want to Read:
Binds (Binds, #1)

Binds

(Binds #1)

Ophelia Brand’s life is in shambles. Married to an abusive man and forced to act like the perfect politician’s wife in public, her freedom has been completely stripped away. Alone and without purpose, Ophelia feels as if there isn’t much in this world to live for. Everything changes when an employee kidnaps her from a state dinner. Ophelia is thrust into a new world filled ...more
Published April 6th 2013 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published April 3rd 2013)

Ian
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone!!
4.5 Stars

I read this book in secret. I told a few people I was reading it but I'm a Goodreads friend of Rebecca Espinoza and I was a little worried that I just wouldn't like the book.
I'm sure some of you have experienced that moment when someone hands you their baby and you look at him / her and think to yourself, 'Wow, this is one ugly baby'...but you force a smile on your face and say, "Hello cutey"?
That's what I was worried about.

But this book is freaking amazing! It's a debut...and it's f
Brenna
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, favorites
Binds is Rebecca Espinoza’s debut novel and I have to say, SHE TOTALLY NAILED IT! ME = FOREVER FAN!

This book completely rocked my world. Although I was excited to start this in general, it completely exceeded my expectations. I sat down with it last night at 1am at 30% and around 40% I was thinking, “Hmm… I’m thirsty, I’ll get a drink when this chapter is over.” Well, that never happened, I didn’t move from my chair until I finished it. True story. Those who really know me, know how ADD I can b
Lucia
Jan 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
3.5 STARS! I really enjoyed this! Excellent introduction into series!
My Ophelia:

My Reece:

My Spencer:

"My life seems to have been split sharply into two sections with a clean severance, like a knife cutting kernels off of a corncob. Before, it was a whole object, fully connected to itself, and after, it was scattered all over the plate; cut off, bereft."

Ophelia is not happy with her life. She is 27 years old housewife, just a trophy to her husband Donovan. She did everything to appease him, to s
AJ
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
HOLY FREAKING TWISTY STORIES!! I loved this book!

What a fantastic debut by Rebecca Espinoza, and a sensational start to an exciting and original new Urban Fantasy series. I love the premise, I love the world, I love the writing, and the characters are phenomenal!

Firstly there’s our heroine, Ophelia. Trapped in a hideously abusive marriage, she is a trophy wife, kept isolated from the world and regularly beaten by her bastard husband. Kidnapped away by an unlikely ally, she is taken in by a group
Lise *friends don't flag*
4.5 Spark-filled stars!

description

Such a good little Urban Fantasy story and it is just the beginning!
In this fantastic debut novel by Rebecca Espinoza, we are introduced to our heroine, Ophelia. She was raised by her magical Mother and best friend, Morgan until Ophelia’s world as she knew it changed forever.
It is when she is without her Mother she seeks the love of a man that is not what he seems- Donovan Brand is a power hungry abusive arse and I really detested him. Ophelia is belittled and tortured a
Ash Wednesday
4 STARS

Any Bryan Singer fans here? No? Just me?

Reading the last two chapters and that sneaky epilogue, this book brought me back to that first time I watched one of my favorite movies ever, The Usual Suspects… in that I had to be kind, rewind then press play all over again after not being able to process who Keyser Soze is.

Binds' blurb is pretty straightforward but the plot, for me, was pretty intricate. I think this was served best by the underlying mystery to the characters, in that not eve
 Megan • Reading Books Like a Boss (book blog)

See more reviews like this at Reading Books Like a Boss

Stop what you're doing right now and GO READ THIS BOOK! This book is certified grade A unputdownable. I was shocked at how quickly it sucked me in. I cannot say enough good things about it. What's more is that this is Rebecca Espinoza's freaking debut novel. What?!? Mind blown. She is immensely talented. Not only is the storyline brilliant, the writing and character development is spectacular. If you're new to urban fantasy, start with Bin
♥Rachel♥
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Binds is a promising start to an original UF series. I am a newbie to the Urban Fantasy, but I’m quickly learning to be patient when it comes to UF. You don’t get all your information in one book and things are not tied up neatly at the end. The world building, relationships, and romances are built slowly over time, and this makes it all the more satisfying when eventually things wrap up.

Ophelia is married to a powerful politician and tyrant, kept in a gilded cage, and unable to escape
Fred
Jan 28, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: srsly-tbr-asap
So excited to read this! Rebecca is a beautiful writer and an awesome friend, I know this is going to rock!
Stephanie • Ideally Inspired
First of all, this cover is fantastic. Not gonna lie, that was the first thing that had me interested in cracking it open. I didn't really read any reviews prior to starting this book, so I wasn't too sure what to expect. A friend of mine (the Marvelous Megan Simpson of "Reading Books Like A Boss" book blog) gifted me a copy of Binds after she read an ARC of this for her blog. Let me just tell you, it was a gift that keeps on giving.

This book had me captivated from the first page. The book is t
Joan (official heroine hater)
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, uf
First off, let me say that I’m not a big reader of the Adult Urban Fantasy genre. I’ve read a couple that I have enjoyed, but for the most part they seem to either: bore me, confuse me with the world building, the heroines are either too stupid to live or over-the-top badass and the heroes are either jerks or weenies. So, knowing that, how did Binds fare with me? Well, let’s just say if more of the above genre was like this, I’d be a convert! I REALLY enjoyed this book….

World Building: Just abou
Lilly P

4 stars
After reading Binds I’ve discovered two things about myself.
The first, that I am a PNR & (High- Low)Fantasy lover and second, that I love a good supernatural love triangle. All Things that can be found in Mrs. Espinoza's promising debut novel.
Besides the obvious differences between a PNR/Fantasy Romance and any other type of romance novels (like fairies, monsters and mages), the thing that I love most about them is the slow burn of the story.
Where a good contemporary romance no
Kayla at MyBookMuse
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
More reviews at: www.mybookmuse.com

4.5 stars*

**ARC provided in exchange for an honest review**

The debut novel by Rebecca Espinoza is intriguing, exciting, and well written.

Ophelia does not have the greatest life. For starters, her husband, Donavon, is the king of all creeps. He is physically, mentally, and emotional abusive. Donavon not only treats Ophelia as his trophy wife, but as his personal possession.
"Our life together has become a game to him, one of his favorite games to play, ever. He p
Crystal
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ophelia’s life has literally been thrown upside down. She has just discovered that a whole different world and race of people exist alongside the drab, colourless one that she barely exists in. As she learns more about the unique Mage world and discovers how she fits in it, Ophelia begins to bloom. She’s been suffocating under her husband's stifling presence for so long that she doesn’t even know her own potential. The real Ophelia is hidden under the façade she’s created for her life with Donov ...more
Ellelou
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Can't wait for the next one.
Nicole
I have been thoroughly mindf***ed. Mind-boggled if you will. I mean, I’m sorry, come again?. Ophelia is [SPOILER]?! Reece did [SPOILER]?!! Donovan #$&@*$&!!!! Spencer... you... WTF?! *passes out from incredulity*.

I can see now why people are making connections between the Binds and the Fever series. I mean.. there’s Fae; Fae politics; a war between the Fae and human worlds; interracial romance and a (kind-of) love triangle.

This book was shit-kickingly good. It’s the kind of urban fantas
Jamie Sager Hall
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!!!
Debut novel? Seriously? The writing was so good that I would never have guessed this was her first book. I'm VERY much into Urban Fantasty, so I think it takes a lot to impress me. The storyline was solid and interesting. The pacing was lightning fast, making it difficult for me to put the book down. I found myself still thinking about the plot days after I'd finished reading it. Several surprises at the end that I loved!!

The guys? I had an ongoing internal struggle with whether I wan
Robin
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars. Kudos to Rebecca Espinoza for writing an intelligent and beautifully-written urban fantasy novel! I absolutely loved Binds and look forward to the continuation of this series!
Diana Reyes
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS!!!! TOO DAMN SHORT THOUGH....I NEED MORE!!!

A WORLD FULL OF MAGIC, POWER, SECRETS AND A WAR BREWING FOR CENTURIES.

This was a great beginning to what I am most certain will be a great series. I was captivated from the very beginning. I am loving Urban Fantasy right now and this one cut the cake.

Ophelias marriage was definitely in shambles married to that bastard, Donovan. The best thing that ever happened to her was being kidnapped for she learns about her true identity as a powerful
Amanda (.---.--.-...-)
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it

Can I just start by being honest?

This author is awesome. I know her! Would I give her book a higher rating or recommend it to my friends because of her awesomeness? No. You know why? Because there are just too many good books out there and not enough time to read them all. That being said – I really enjoyed Binds.

I appreciate how Ophelia is a strong heroine. She learns a lot of shit that would break a person but she took it in stride. She could either fold under the pressure or woman the eff up
Heidi R.
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I very much enjoyed Binds, by Rebecca Espinoza. There was a big surprise toward the end of the story that took my completely by surprise and made everything come together. I am looking forward to the next book in this series.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Suzanne
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant!!! So, so GOOD!!

Binds is a book about the Mage and Fae. Ophelia is married to a monster, who constantly beats her. When she's kidnapped by her driver, little did she know it'd be the best thing that ever happened to her. She discovers she's a Mage, a fact that was kept from her by her mother as she was growing up, and is now kept from her by her husband and father in law. And when she learns to use her powers, she finally starts standing up for herself.

A war is brewing between the Kin
Dawnita
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was extremely well written. The author Rebecca Espinoza knew just how to spin her web of words and kept me in her spell through the entire book. I was seriously impressed with her writing. She had humor and wit along with the intensity of the story.

Here is my favorite non-spoiler quote from the book "It's not every day that I have a beautiful woman inhaling me like a giant scratch and sniff sticker"

This book was definitely not written as a love story but as a paranormal/urban legend t
Brandi
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
Great beginning to what I feel will be an awesome urban fantasy series.

Ophelia's life changes completely after an employee kidnaps her - finally free of her abusive and controlling husband, she is thrown into a world of magic that she never knew existed.

With the help of other Mages, Ophelia learns the truth about herself and the hidden power within. There is a war brewing and everyone seems to be keeping secrets, Ophelia struggles with who to put her trust in. I am excited to see where this sto
Jacqueline Vey (Bradley)
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oh Ophelia you are so witty! I loved Ophelia's character. She has survived through dark days and yet she still is not deterred to wake another day and fight. When the going gets tough... Most women would be happy to wait for their knight in shining armor... But oh no....Ophelia proves that she is not the damsel in distress. I can't wait for book 2!!!
Tara
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
All I can really say is I am a huge fan of Rebecca Espinoza after reading Binds. For me, nothing could've been better. It was perfect. I don't want to review more and somehow spoil it, because this book deserves a lot of props. Definitely one of my favorites.
Maria
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
7/10

Rebecca Espinoza's debut novel was a pleasant surprise for me! With a first novel you always hold your breath, wondering, hoping it will be something special - this is! The story drew me in from the very beginning, and Ophelia is a very sympathetic character (though she is woefully imperceptive...but that's really not her fault, since she was purposefully kept in the dark for her entire life, first by her Mother, then her husband). The guys...well, I could have used more development on them
Ashley Williams
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Binds is a very interesting take on Urban Fantasy! It was action packed from the very beginning and kept me enthralled the whole time. It wasn't long enough.. seriously! I wanted to know more about this world that that it was based in. I guess thats where the Urban comes from, but there were a lot of current references while the world around was kinda crazy. I love/hate the triangle between Phee, Spencer and Reece.. it's just, I don't know who I'd pick (usually I can pick a side).

Cover and Writ
Shannon McCrimmon
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Well written, interesting story line, some nice plot twists - an all around enjoyable read. I read this quickly and am now anxiously awaiting book 2's release. Even if you're not a fan of urban fantasy (which isn't my usual genre), I highly recommend you pick this one up. I really enjoyed this one. Looking forward to reading more books by Espinoza.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Spirit of Nimue (The Return to Camelot, #3)
  • Pure & Sinful (Pure Souls, #1)
  • Fall (Roam, #2)
  • Come Back to Me
  • Shattered Grace (Fallen from Grace, #1)
  • By a Thread (By a Thread, #1)
  • Retribution (Dominion, #3)
  • The Devil's Metal (Devils, #1)
  • Bitter Angel
  • Sin in San Fran (Great Exploitations, #4)
  • Lost in Distraction (Lost, #1)
  • Cursed by Darkness (Befallen Tides, #1)
  • The Scholomance
  • Feel like Makin' Love (Rock and Roll Trilogy, #3)
  • Hellcursed (The Shadowfae Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Voices of the Soul (Soul Seers, #1)
  • The Love of My (Other) Life
  • Haven from the Storm (Storms of Life, #1)

Binds (2 books)
  • Bonds (Binds, #2)
“Why don't you join us? You can be Chief in Charge of Running Away Scared and Naming Things. -Allie” 6 likes
“Wait a minute, who was in your room then?”…
“That would be me,” Spencer replies smugly from the entryway. How does he always pop up at the most inopportune times? It’s like he has some radar in his brain that tells him the best time and place where douchebaggery may occur, and he follows it religiously.”
6 likes