Start by marking “Somebody Up There Hates You” as Want to Read:
Somebody Up There Hates You

Somebody Up There Hates You

Chemo, radiation, a zillion surgeries, watching my mom age twenty years in twenty months: if that’s part of the Big Dude’s plan, then it’s pretty obvious, isn’t it? Somebody Up There Hates You.

SUTHY has landed me here in this hospice, where we—that’s me and Sylvie—are the only people under 30 in the whole place, sweartogod. But I’m not dead yet. I still need to
Published September 3rd 2013 by Algonquin Young Readers

Start your review of Somebody Up There Hates You
Amy
Nov 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013
For people who liked The Fault in our Stars, but wished it was terrible.
Dan Hajducky
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Okay, first and foremost, I get the comparisons to The Fault in Our Stars. Two kids, both dying of cancer. Yadda, yadda, yadda. If you've read both books, you'll see that that's where the comparisons should end. In The Fault in Our Stars, most of the story takes place in the real world. In Somebody Up There Hates You, the majority takes place in hospice care. If you know anything about serious illness, you'll know that there is a severe difference between hospice care (one month to live, evidenc ...more
Barbara
Jul 10, 2013 rated it did not like it

Unfortunately, the book only has one the one driver, and wondering when and how the two dying kids would meet under the sheets was not enough.

17 year old Ritchie is in hospice. So is 14 year old Sylvie. And like the mythical last man and woman on Earth they want to have sex. The hospital personnel think their budding romance is "cute."

(view spoiler)If only this book had been about more than just two teens dying to end the curse of virginity. Literally.

(view spoiler)

The characters are underdeveloped, From Richie, who sounds like an adult trying to pretend to be a teen, to Sylvie with a mind as one-track as his. There is Sylvie's always drunk and belligerent father, Richie's good-hearted mother currently ill so she is not allowed to visit even though he is in hospice, and hospital employees who conspire to take the dying boy out for Halloween so he can get drunk and meet loose women. These employees are all shocked when the teen romance goes farther than they expected.

I forced myself to continue reading all the way to the end, hoping things would get better and the story become something more. Didn't happen. None of the character's felt real. Okay, a seventeen year old boy wanting to have sex is real, but he never became anything more than the dying bag of adolescent hormones. There is an ending scene that I think is supposed to show that he has matured, but it falls flat.
Penny
Cancer books. Man, they are all over the place these days, aren't they. It seems as though you can't peruse any shelf of any book store without finding at bunch of cancer books. YA is littered with cancer books. Now don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily mind, it's just that a lot of these books are about the exact same thing: dying kid dealing with Feelings. There are few variations in these stories.

Okay, I'm coming across as insensitive. I'm not trying to, it's just that when you read as muc
Michelle Wrona
*0.5 star rating*

DNF @ 80 pages.

This was probably one of the worst books I've ever read. No doubt about it.

I hated it. "The new The Fault in Our Stars?" Haha, yeah right. This is a childish book with no sense of anything that makes you want to bawl because it was so bad. That's what the book really was fully.

I saw this book as fantasy, especially because of the writing. I understand that it wasn't, but the writing was so bad that it made everything seem like a joke and a dream. This was about Richie and Srating*
Kitvaria Sarene
Just saw I forgot to rate this one.
This was recommended to me by one of the (German) publisher sales representatives with the words "You know how John Green is so popular with his the fault in our stars book? This is for those wanting more..."
As I love TFIOS I picked this up right away and started reading. And then I waited for it to get good. After 1/3 I started to wonder IF it would get better - at a bit over 50% I gave up.
I didn't care at all for any of the characters. I mis
Ankita Singh
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Richie was such a fun character to read. Even though he knew he was dying, he still lived everyday to the fullest. So did Sylvie.

At first, I had thought that this book seemed so much like The Fault In Our Stars. Two teenagers, suffering with cancer fall in love.

But it's not. Because Richie and Sylvie already know they're going to die. That's why they're in the hospice. And yet they fall in love.

My favorite part though, was the ending. Because the author did no
Debbie Narh
good

I think I knew I was going to dislike Richard from the beginning because he always repeats himself by saying, "see" or, "okay?" or "right". It took all my strength not to jump into the book and punch him in the face. Hollis Seamon could have made this a killer book with such a sad and serious topic but instead she failed to do so. I was left underwhelmed and very upset with all the characters. And not in a good way.

Writing a realistic contemporary novel there has to be a realistic relationship between th
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

NetGalley ARC – Thank you NetGalley : )

When you’re a teenager spending what is assumed to be your final month of life in a hospice ward, it’s just a given that you must be a member of the SUTHY Club. What other explanation can there be for 17-year old Richie and 15-year old Sylvie to be dying? Somebody up there must hate them, right? Just because they’re supposed to be dying, doesn’t mean that can’t live a little until their time is up. Follow Rich
Melissapalmer404
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Book #40 Read in 2014
Somebody Up There Hates You by Hollis Seamon (YA)

This is so much more than a cancer book. Richard (main character) is written in such a way that his voice is so true to life. Richard is in hospice and so is Sylvie....and both are teenagers. They try to retain some sort of normalcy with their budding romance but that creates more problems for both them and their families. The secondary characters (the harpy, Edward, Richard's mother, uncle and grandmother) a
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was taken aback by how much this book affected me. I didn't expect it to have such a strong hold on me, but truthfully I was drawn in from the very beginning. Richard is sarcastic and witty, which makes the book hold an amusing tone for the most part. However, Seamon has no problem reeling you in with laughter, and making sure you're attached and dedicated to these characters, only to make them absolutely break your heart. When it comes down to it, these are young adults who are facing horrify ...more
Luis Andrade
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought the book was pretty slow at first, but it got pretty interesting after a while and it was pretty funny to like I really love how the book began with I shit you not xD i dont know why thats funny to me I am just weird xP. Dont judge me xD. But overall I would say it was a good book.
Sarah (YA Love)
Review originally posted at YA Love

I was hesitant to read Somebody Up There Hates You because its main character, Richard, has terminal cancer. I don’t do well with “cancer books.” Hollis Seamon’s debut, however, was worth stepping out of my comfort zone.

This may not be the case for everyone, but Somebody Up There Hate You didn’t make me overly emotional while reading. Sure, a couple scenes made me teary, but I never actually cried. And I teared up over the most unexpected scene
Scott Rudolph
This past year, my reading has taken a turn towards books about people dying with cancer. Without intending to read that type of book, they keep popping up, and when a book says read me, well I leap in and see what it has to offer. This one blew me out of the water.

Ok, so don't laugh here, but the first thing I thought of when I finished this novel was Star Trek. Yes, it is a novel about a kid in a cancer hospice living out his last few days, and no there's not a Borg, Klingon or Vulcan in sigh
Jill
Sep 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Let’s acknowledge right away that there are some similarities to The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Two spunky teenagers dying of cancer are in love, and want to live out the rest of their days in a validation of their existences. But there are differences enough to justify reading this book as well as the wonderful book by John Green.

This story takes place in a hospice. As the 17-year old narrator Rich Casey explains, “you only get into hospice if your prognosis is under a month.” He
Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

MY THOUGHTS
Somebody up there must hate me because they let me read this book.
I hate writing negative reviews for a book. I hate coming across books that I just don't like, but I did not like this book AT ALL.

The entire plot of this book is basically a horny teenage guy, who happens to have cancer, trying to get into the pants of the only girl his age in the hospital. That's it. There is nothing more to this book besides that/>
Shawna Briseno
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I usually don’t pay much attention to reviews. A contradiction, I know, coming from someone who shares my love of great stories by writing reviews. But let me clarify. I don’t pay much attention to reviews unless they come from someone whose opinion I know and trust, someone who enjoys the same types of stories that I do. So I hope that’s how you view us here at the Muses, trusted friends who offer a little bit of something for everyone.

Having cancer sucks, even more so when you’re s
Sabrina
Apr 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Short and Sweet:
A heartfelt attempt at life with terminal cancer as a teen. Even though I enjoyed this book at times and felt it had some emotional moments, I found it hard to completely connect with any of the characters. It's not a bad story, but certainly not a great one either.

To Elaborate....
Somebody Up There Hates You is told from the point of view of Richie, a 17 year old boy in hospice care. Richie shares with the reader all the ins and outs of being a dying 'kid' and talks
Heather Panella
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: listened-to
This book is showing up a lot of places as a read-alike for John Green's Fault in Our Stars, and while there are strong similarities, the two books are different enough to justify each of them in their own right. Whereas I would say that TFIOS is a love story touched by cancer, I think that Somebody Up There Hates You is more of a cancer story touched by love. Richie is not the suave, gentle, too-good-to-be-true Augustus Waters. No, Richie is a real-life teenage boy with a brashness, dry wit, un ...more
Mikaela
It only took me a day to read this book - so it must've been good. It took me a while to get into the story, however I did like it. The characters were interesting, Sylvie and Richard's young love affair was intriguing. I've never read a book that has taken place in a hospice before, so it really gave me an insight as to what people are going through in a place like that. Richard and Sylvie portrayed themselves as strong people, when in reality, sadly they're not strong. They're crippling. Just ...more
Barb
What's up with all these dying teenager novels? I have no idea if a dying teen is like a magic ingredient for a great coming of age (or buying the farm) story but this one was just as wonderful as the last two dying teen novels I read. I really loved this protagonist's sharp irreverent wit and sarcasm. In fact I loved the whole cast of characters.

My thirteen year old picked this up at a book sale, read a little, then changed her mind, deciding it wasn't for her. I think she was right
Richard Kramer
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
How can I have forgotten to add this wonderful book to my shelves? And I even blurbed it!!! It's about what one might call an ultimate romance, in that it's between a boy and a girl in a hospice. Somehow, it's hilarious, and somehow it's deeply moving in exciting, unexpected ways. Yeah, sure, I've read THE FAULT IN OUR STARS and he has twenty million Twitter followers and he high-fives people and says Awesome! a lot and I think he's very earnest and completely uninteresting and I hope he gets tw ...more
April
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am easily taken in by a good cover and you guys, Algonquin Young Readers has KILLED it with the cover of Somebody Up There Hates You by Hollis Seamon. I love the typography and the colors and basically everything about the cover, plus it actually has some significance to the book with the crown and all. Anyways, aside from being a fan of Seamon’s cover, I actually liked her debut young adult novel for the most part. Right now though, I am going to tell you that it is not going to be everyone’s ...more
Robin
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you think a book about teens who are in hospice will be depressing, you need to read this book. The voice of the narrator sounds like a teen is really talking. I kept this book to read at lunch hour while at work and I had to keep checking to make sure I didn't go over my lunch break because I got so caught up in the book. I will certainly suggest this title to teens who enjoyed The Fault in Our Stars, a book that I enjoyed equally as well. This is a first book from this author. Looking forward to ...more
Suzanne
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Unlike many other reviewers here, I came to this book without ever having read anything by John Green. Also, I was already a fan of Hollis Seamon. Her short fiction sustained me during the many weeks that I spent in the hospital with my own sick child. I loved Richie's voice, and this story of a couple of teens trying to get as much living in as possible in the little time they have left. I burned through this book in a little under two days. Seamon is one of those grossly underappreciated autho ...more
Martin Berber
Oct 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-books
This book initially reminded me of the book/movie the The Fault In Our Stars. It did have some resemblance of the book, It made me realize that no matter how sick a person is or how bad your situation is you still have no keep positive mind.Saying that i did not like the story, it had no exciting points in the book. But i also think this is also one of those books that you will either like it or not. The book was enjoyable but not my cup of tea.
PJforaDay
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
So this is the book I wanted about dying,about knowing that tomorrow isn't a guarantee,but still deciding to live a little.And while these characters are flawed,somewhat self(and sex)-obsessed they managed to acheive something that FiOS didn't. They made me give a shit.

Why?
Because Sylvie and Richard felt like teens I know and acted in ways that made sense, not in an authorial puppet says do this type of way.
Nathan Barker
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable, quick read. This is a young adult novel narrated by a terminally ill 17-year-old boy spending the last weeks of his life in a hospice. The book manages to avoid the glaring details of his disease and treatment while still managing to emotionally convey his circumstances - and his humor and courage in the face of them.
Sam
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A well told story of how it is to be a teenage rebel living in a hospice because of cancer. Filled with drama and wittiness, "Somebody Up There Hates You" is a book recommended to all. This amazing novel does not have any similarities to The Fault In Our Stars besides the fact that the main characters have some sort of cancer.
Julissa Mendoza
Sep 03, 2015 rated it liked it
What i thought about the book of "Somebody up there hates you" I liked the book.
The characters were amazing, Richard was an amazing character; a funny guy and trying to live his life to the fullest.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• La sociedad del naipe
  • La noche es nuestra...: Los mejores poemas eróticos
  • Vampyr
  • Cathy's Book (Cathy Vickers Trilogy, #1)
  • Jouw leven als loser
  • Plus jamais sans elle
  • L'île des esclaves
  • Un coeur simple
  • Micromegas
  • Twisted Marriage (Filthy Vows, #2)
Hollis reads, writes, cooks, and gardens in Kinderhook NY. She teaches writing and literature at the College of Saint Rose in Albany NY and the MFA in Creative Writing Program of Fairfield University, Fairfield CT.

Her newest novel, SOMEBODY UP THERE HATES YOU, is one of the inaugural YA books to be published in Fall 2013 by Algonquin Young Readers. Her collection of short stories, Corp
“Sometimes, you know, human kindness just knocks you off your feet.” 3 likes