Start by marking “In My Defense: An Unlikely Romance, a Deadly Gunshot, and a Young Widow's Road to Redemption” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt

When Leigh Ann pulled the trigger ... her life changed forever.

On a balmy night, everything changed in the stilling of a heartbeat ...

During Leigh Ann's psychiatric clinical work as a nursing student, a patient swept her off her feet with his dazzling good looks and charm. But soon after marrying Mr Right, things began to go horribly wrong. Believing the best of the man
Published December 10th 2013 by Authentic Publishers (first published August 13th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about In My Defense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In My Defense

Christina Weeks
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
A chilling and heartbreaking memoir. Tragic, yet hopeful. Leigh Ann Bryant is very candid about the choices she made, the spiraling effects of an abusive relationship, and how she found redemption. True to life, the story is not black and white, but rather an honest look at mental illness and domestic abuse--how one can both love and fear a spouse, how one can be driven to do the unthinkable, and how one can recover. A recommended read.
English
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As per the synopsis, this book tells the story of Leigh –Ann who meets the person she believes to be the man of her dreams whilst training, and after a whirlwind romance they marry. The marriage turns out to be marked with abuse and obsession, until she desperate measures to protect herself and her infant son with fatal consequences…

In My Defense was touching true life story of hope and redemption for a woman whose life had been marked by bad choices, and heartache. In some ways, some of the aut
Kayla Apple
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely amazing. I have never read a book, fiction or non-fiction that contains such raw emotion with every page. You really go through every emotion on the spectrum through this journey with the author, from smiling, to crying, to being scared, and feeling relief. Leigh Ann is an incredible author, not only is the story so powerful, it is fantastically written and really draws you in, making you read “only one more chapter” until your eyes can’t stand to stay open anymore. That ...more
Molly Courtney
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a must-read book! Leigh Ann paints her story so beautifully that you feel like you have sat down at the theater and watched it unfold. It is a painful story indeed but the redemption found in the Lord's healing power can be internalized for any reader and their own "story".
Melissa
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really didn’t know what to expect when reading a memoir. I’ve never read one before. But if you didn’t know In My Defense was a memoir you would think you are reading a fiction book. But unfortunately, the events in this book are all true.

As I read I was captivated by the downward spiral of Leigh Ann’s and Vincent’s relationship. I was frustrated by her at times when she didn’t walk away from the relationship when it was obvious Vincent wasn’t going to keep his word.

But I have never been in a
Sharon
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In My Defense is a great book! I had a hard time putting it down and when I did all I could think about was getting back to the book to find out what happened next! I won this book from goodreads and I am so glad I did! I have worked with abused women and children and have experienced domestic abuse myself. Leigh Ann is a very brave woman to put her story out to the public. To have her life's choices judged by stranger's with the hope of helping someone else shows you how brave and caring she is ...more
Sherri Jones
I was sad as I read this book. Realizing this was a book based on the life of the author, I felt such pain for her. I have struggled with my faith throughout the years and have been searching for "the feeling" most describe in their books about discovering God. As a law enforcement professional, I read some of the things Vincent had said to her and the actions he had shown. My first thought was "how could she fall for those lines?" I see those behaviors and hear those lines every day. I put the ...more
Nancy Reynolds
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This true-story, written by Leigh Ann Bryant, was a real eye-opener in certain matters regarding professional-patient relationships, domestic abuse and certain aspects of the criminal justice system.
On September 16, 1994, Ms. Bryant killed her ex-husband when she feared for her and her young son's lives. Panicking, she lied to the police and stated that an intruder had done it.
Ms. Bryant's story is gripping and honest. Whereas I may have disagreed with some of the decisions she made, she was you
Michael
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just finished... WoW! What a great read and couldn't put it down! Every face has a story and this is an amazing one of crazy young love between two seemingly lost souls in a fallen world where things went horribly wrong long before the fateful night. Then the gripping story of a long, hard and courageous road to redemption at each turn of the page. I'm reminded that I too choose my sin, but not the consequences. Denial through terror, torment and a life of chaos with an amazing ending of redempt ...more
Amy:)
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Leigh Ann Bryant shares an inside look at domestic abuse at the hands of her mentally ill husband. She shares her strong beliefs in her husband, in love, and ultimately in the power of God. A book that will remain with you long after you've finished the last page.
Julie
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Leigh Ann's story is amazing and powerful! You experience an entire spectrum of emotions from despair and fear to hope and joy. It's impossible to put down and leaves you optimistic for the potential in every Christ filled life!
Anna
Amy
May 30, 2015
Kayo
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow what a book. Author went through so much.
So interesting!
Renee
Feb 07, 2014
Hearbreaking, Yet Hopeful Memoir 1 3 Dec 07, 2013 10:00AM
Review of In My Defense 1 6 Nov 09, 2013 05:44PM
  • Too Far to Say Far Enough (The Reluctant Prophet #3)
  • Hurt (Solitary Tales, #4)
  • The Advocate
  • Return to Hoffman Grove
  • A Doubter's Almanac
  • Cincinnati's Savage Seamstress: The Shocking Edythe Klumpp Murder Scandal
  • The Button Legacy: Emily's Inheritance
  • Jane's Melody (Jane's Melody, #1)
  • Bittersweet: Thoughts on Change, Grace, and Learning the Hard Way
  • Killing a Cold One (Woods Cop, #9)
I survived an abusive marriage when I killed my husband in self-defense to save my life and the life of my toddler son.
I found love, peace and joy through God's grace and mercy while in jail charged with murder.
I am now married to a godly man and have an amazing 12 year old son with him. My "toddler" is now 21.
God restored so much more than I lost, and I enjoy life as a wife, mother, RN, cheerle