Jump to ratings and reviews

Seasons of War #2

Second Summer of War

A dramatic, heart-warming a tale of life on the sea.

Set in 1813, Second Summer of War is a sequel to Come Looking for Me.

With the British traitor Captain Thomas Trevelyan incarcerated on a prison hulk in Portsmouth Harbour, Princess Emeline "Emily" Louisa sails back to England and is summarily dispatched to Hartwood Hall, home of the disagreeable Duke and Duchess of Belmont. There she endures weeks awaiting Trevelyan’s trial, unable to leave the estate or find useful occupation. Relations with her guardians, chilly at best, soon escalate into a battle of wills when they attempt to marry her off in order to secure favour with her uncle, the Prince Regent. Meanwhile, England’s naval war with the United States continues to rage on the Atlantic.

When Fly Austen and his friend, Dr. Leander Braden, are given Admiralty Orders to testify at the trial, they return home with the hope of seeing Emily one last time. Their journey is anything but uneventful as they encounter devastating storms, menacing ships, and a spectre that proclaims their impending doom.

352 pages, Paperback

First published January 1, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Cheryl Cooper

10 books12 followers
Cheryl Cooper has degrees in English and Education from Queen's University. A former teacher of the Deaf and a volunteer for the Children's Foundation of Muskoka, she lives in Bracebridge, Ontario. Her "Seasons of War" series is set on the high seas during the War of 1812.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (2%)
1 star
1 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 14 of 14 reviews
Profile Image for Wendy Truscott.
Author 2 books4 followers
December 8, 2018
Reading Cheryl Cooper's first novel, "Come Looking for Me". I was throughly enthralled and entranced by the characters, the writing, the adventures, and Cheryl's knowledge of the part of the War of 1812 fought at sea. (See my review.) What a delight to be able to follow the same characters, both endearing and terrifying, through a new set of challenges, this time set partially on land where an attempt is made to marry off Princess Emily to a "suitable" man from a wealthy family, thus ridding her own relatives of an "embarrassment".
The author's delicious descriptions of some of the scenes between Emily, her prospective in-laws, and her prospective groom, are great fun. Meanwhile, Captain Fly Austen and Dr. Leander Braden, with whom Em is in love, face a dangerous voyage back to England to testify at the trial of the traitor, Captain Trevelyan .
This novel was every bit as engaging as the first, and was perhaps even better written. I couldn't wait to begin the third immediately.
4 reviews
August 4, 2020
I've known Mrs. Cooper for a number of years, always kind and thoughtful. In all honesty I never imagined myself reading a seafaring novel placed in the young American War with France....well let me tell you!
I started the series, and I was hooked! Now, I am (im)patiently waiting for her 4th installment. I hate spoilers, so I will stop here. But please believe me, it is a book you will get lost in and won't put down, that goes for all 3 and soon to be 4!
Colorful, enigmatic, imaginative, riveting and so much more.....
She is one of the few great authors that transport you to a different time and place, the complete mental vacation with adventure.
September 3, 2014
I have to admit that I was skeptical when I learned that Cheryl Cooper was writing a sequel to her 2010 novel, Come Looking for Me. Mainly because I loved how it ended. A character driven piece set on the high seas during the War of 1812, which more or less read like an engaging HBO miniseries. I’m not lying. It was great! But I didn’t feel like there was room for any further storytelling. I worried it would just be more of the same…

That said, Second Summer of War is just as entertaining. What Cooper does so intelligently is she adds new locations, which makes for a slew of new dramatic conflict. In fact, half the book takes place on land where Emily is whisked away to live with the unsavory Duchess of Belmont. Meanwhile, the disgraced and treasonous Captain Thomas Trevelyan awaits trial on a haunting prison hulk (personally my favorite bits). Of course there are plenty more battles on the Atlantic, but what makes this book, and series for that matter, so great is that Cooper constantly introduces fresh conflict. And I was willing to go along with her every step of the way because she creates such sympathetic and interesting characters.

The dialogue is cinematic; the situations believable; and the research palpable. How is this not a TV series? It would certainly make for a great one! I now look forward to the next one!! Great read!
3 reviews
September 18, 2014
Cheryl Cooper has once again created an excellent work of historical fiction in this sequel to Come Looking For Me. Second Summer of War’s accurate representation of naval life, along with the epic ship battles are what will bring fans of the first installment back for more. Cooper mixes it up this time, however, as half the novel takes place on land, following Emily and Gus’ return to England. This change in environment keeps the story fresh as Cooper continues to chronicle the lives of these characters we’ve all grown to love.
Speaking of characters, Cooper is a master at creating them. Some of them you’ll admire, laugh, and sympathize with, and others, you’ll love to hate.
The cinematic storyline and intense conflict make this a real page-turner.
This is a sequel that truly harnesses the wind!
February 19, 2015
Cheryl Cooper left you wanting more in her first novel "Come Looking for Me"; and doesn't disappoint you in "Second Summer of War". She has taken history and used a fabulous imagination to weave a tale that will keep you reading until the wee hours of the morning. Once again young Emily has become somewhat of a prisoner, not aboard a ship, but at Hartwood Hall with her guardian, the Duchess of Belmont. This woman gets under your skin; you wait for Emily to get the better of her. Your heart aches for her to be free of Hartwood Hall and to once again be in the company of her shipmates. While Emily is imprisoned at Hartwood, her dear friends struggles aboard the ships continue to keep you engaged in the war.
These are great book club reads. Lots to discuss regarding the war and a woman's role during the 1800's.
March 4, 2014
With Second Summer of War, author Cheryl Cooper slips seamlessly into the sequel to her first novel, Come Looking for Me. Years of meticulous research are once again evident, with intriguing historical and naval details flowing through the richly coloured tale of a mysterious heroine, a dashing, earnest ship’s doctor, a brave little sail-maker who will steal your heart, and an accompanying cast of heroes, villains, ruffians and royals so real that they will live with you long after you finish both books. (And do yourself a favour: have the sequel on hand before you finish the first.)

4 reviews
January 10, 2014
Excellent!
As with Cheryl Cooper's first book, "Come Looking for Me," I couldn't put down her sequel, "Second Summer of War." The continuing adventures and intrigues of her captivating characters kept me turning those pages, always wondering what was going to happen next. Rich with action and historical detail, I could hear the unearthly sounds of the sea and feel the decks rocking beneath my feet. Another whirlwind of a read!
1 review
April 25, 2014
Cheryl Cooper has a way of weaving a plot that leaves you hanging at the end of each chapter...so hard to put down... you just have to know what happens next. Her characters are engaging and her storytelling gives the reader a sense they are there, with Emily and her friends and foes. Come Looking for Me and Second Summer of War are good stories. As a reader, that's what I'm looking for. Looking forward to the third novel in the series.
Profile Image for Gabriele Wills.
Author 8 books58 followers
April 20, 2014
Cheryl Cooper has written another page-turner with book 2 in her "Seasons of War" series. The well researched historical details create a gripping evocation of the perils at sea as well in the treacherous drawing rooms of the English aristocracy. It was delightful to be among "friends" again as they faced new challenges, and I look forward to sharing their further adventures in book 3.
February 18, 2015
I loved the first book "Come Looking for Me" and couldn't wait to tuck into "Second Summer of War". Needless to say I was loved every minute of this read. Ms. Cooper brings the time period to life with brilliant story-telling, vivid detail and characters one simply falls in love with. I will definitely be awaiting another installment!
Profile Image for Shasta.
17 reviews
February 5, 2015
Well written but not satisfying. I spent the whole book waiting for something to happen. It doesn't. Maybe kind of on the last page but not worth the wait. There will likely be a book 3. I won't bother
Profile Image for Susan Greiner.
220 reviews3 followers
November 25, 2015
I liked this book even better than the first one. Lots of adventure. Very satisfying. The author does a good job with characters and historical detail. This is a good read.
Displaying 1 - 14 of 14 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.