Start by marking “Art-Write: The Writing Guide for Visual Artists” as Want to Read:
Art-Write: The Writing Guide for Visual Artists

Art-Write: The Writing Guide for Visual Artists

This book has a single intention: To teach you how to write about your art. Author, artist and media writer Vicki Amorose offers a step-by-step approach that will enable you to create a professional artist statement. From there, she shows you how to develop the material to represent you and your work for funding, exhibition material, proposals and websites. Art-Write is ...more
Published January 11th 2013 by Vicki Krohn Amorose

To ask other readers questions about Art-Write, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Art-Write

Start your review of Art-Write: The Writing Guide for Visual Artists
Betsy
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Vicki Krohn Amorose for helping us become the artists we want to be out there in the real world!
Miriam
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Super helpful
Susan Roden
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Found this gem when I attended a workshop by the author.
I have struggled for years to write as an artist without being pretentious. Vicki's book with easy-to-follow directions and suggestions eased my way significantly.
This is not an overnight process, but something one works at and through. It can change and evolve as an artist moves through life. She gives tips and places to look for inspiration. Helps to solve the complexity of answering the multitude of questions that are asked of an
Jane Gibbons
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is so sensational! Really. I am an artist, not a writer!!!! I am completely stymied by writing about myself and my work. It is a skill so vital for introducing your work. This book is an on going guide to that end. Format makes the process very accessible. Every artist should have a copy of this on their shelf.
Thank you Ms. Amorose!
Therese Brimmer
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended. Clear, concise, useful information and guidelines.
Ellen Avigliano
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a brilliant little tool which every artist needs to place in their toolkit! Im glad that I chose to start 2020 off by reading this book, because it is going to give me a solid start to writing for all of my upcoming shows. This is a reference book for artists who need a little help and encouragement in the writing department. It explains why you need to learn to write eloquently (and also succinctly!) about your work, and does not give you any room for excuses like I dont know how; it is ...more
B. Jean
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This had a bunch of nice prompts for thinking about your art. When it comes time to write my essays for graduate school, I'll be using this book to help me gather my thoughts. I've never had too many issues writing about art, but it's still nice to have a guide.
Trish Fibs
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: artsy-fartsy
A handi, simple book that helps artists write descriptions about their art.
Lisa
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some good activities that I will be able to use for reluctant writer/artists in my classes.
Traci
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very helpful supplement for professional artists. Straight-forward and comprehensive voice, and a variety of writing prompts and exercises.
cheryl m wellman
Perfect

Just what I needed to know and how to do it.
Very comprehensive and easy to understand and follow along.
Lizzie K
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was so helpful. I used it to write my artist statement and the prompts it gave totally removed the writers block I'd been having. It gives clear instructions and good examples.
Jenna
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Not really for those that enjoy/know writing. Did get some ideas for press releases
Matt
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: artists, teachers, art professionals
Recommended to Matt by: found via web search
I highly recommend this book! I'm an artist (painter) and have been searching for a resource like this one for a while to help me get my presentation materials written. I found Art-Write to be concise, well-written, very easy to follow. The author shares valuable information in a down-to-earth writing style, delivered with a welcome sense of humor! Get this for yourself or artist friends who are serious about career.
Good luck!
Matt
Cflynn
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this eminently practical, well-written guide for artists (including students) who need to do any kind of writing about their work. Thankfully, it doesn't succumb to the great pitfall of most self-help manuals-- padding the material with repetition and wasting your time as a reader. This book is concise and truly helpful. The author will hold your hand through the writing process, making it as painless as possible-- really. A find.
Barney Davey
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just the ticket for all artists!

I love finding resources for artists that helps them become more efficient and productive. If you want to learn how to write in ways that explains who you are and what you do, and helps you sell more art, buy this book.
Cory Huff
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Practical, succinct and full of specific, useful ways to write about your art. Solid reference book.
Dawn
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Will definitely be recommending...

This book has many great things for artist. I will definitely be recommending to my artist circles at every chance given.
Lacey Peterson
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is just what i was looking for. So insightful, highly recommend for the artist trying to market their work.
John Rose
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Thank you, Vicki, for a truly helpful book. I recommended it to some mosaic-making friends, and they found it extremely useful for all their writing and speaking presentations.
Martha
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is a must for the artists we are. It is very helpful taking concept to reality. Shuld also read Imagine by J. Lehrer
Erica Alexandria  Thompson
Heather
Apr 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Show Your Work!: 10 Ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Discovered
  • Fine Art Publicity, 2nd Edition: The Complete Guide for  Artists, Galleries, and Museums (Business and Legal Forms)
  • How to Sell Your Art Online: Live a Successful Creative Life on Your Own Terms
  • Creative Block: Get Unstuck, Discover New Ideas. Advice & Projects from 50 Successful Artists
  • Growth Hacker Marketing: A Primer on the Future of PR, Marketing, and Advertising
  • Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World
  • Damsel
  • The Awakened Family: A Revolution in Parenting
  • Daily Rituals: How Artists Work
  • Daily Rituals: Women at Work
  • An Altar in the World: A Geography of Faith
  • When Will There Be Good News? (Jackson Brodie, #3)
  • True Love: A Practice for Awakening the Heart
  • The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos
  • The Wes Anderson Collection
  • Fine Art Printing for Photographers: Exhibition Quality Prints with Inkjet Printers
  • Death Cab for Cutie