Start by marking “The Kick-Ass Writer: 1001 Ways to Write Great Fiction, Get Published, and Earn Your Audience” as Want to Read:

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  655 Ratings  ·  127 Reviews
Published November 14th 2013 by Writer's Digest Books (first published October 17th 2013)

Dan Schwent
This is the fifth book in my Kindle Unlimited Experiment. For the 30 day trial, I'm only reading books that are part of the program and keeping track what the total cost of the books would have been.

The Kick-Ass Writer is a collection of 1001 writing tips, broken down into 31 lists of 25 items each. I do realize that doesn't quite add up to 1001 but it's still a lot tips.

Here are the contents:
- 25 things you should know about being a writer
- 25 questions to ask as you write
- 25 things I want to
Jane
Mar 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Reading this book is like being cornered in a bar by some scary biker dude who is babbling advice at you in numbered bullet points. His language is filthy, his breath reeks and he is scaring the hell out of you, but you are stunned to realize that what he's saying makes sense.

It's like that.
Brittany Constable
Feb 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
I dithered a bit between three and four stars on this. Oh half-star, how I long for your elusive, intermediate embrace.

Here's the thing: Chuck Wendig is undoubtedly a fantastic writer, one of my favorite people working today. He has a fantastic gift for language, and a refreshingly clear-eyed and honest view of the industry. Beyond a shadow of a doubt, he Knows His Stuff.

My issue is the format. The book mainly consists of various 25 Things pieces taken from his blog at terribleminds.com. The li
Tfitoby
Jul 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Tfitoby by: Dan Schwent
Shelves: non-fiction
Chuck Wendig dispenses 1001 tips on how to write stuff and not be a dick online. I've not read any of his other work, not even been intrigued by it but he's one of these new, interesting authors (self described as a hybrid) who function in multiple mediums and aren't afraid to self-publish, give stuff away for free or interact with the world as somebody who loves to put words on the page and as such he seemed like somebody whose pennyworth was worth a few hours of my time. AND THEY WERE! If only ...more
Melanie R Meadors
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This writing book is prophetic!!

You can use this book in many different ways. First, the normal way. Read it from cover to cover. You'll definitely want to do that because this baby is FULL of excellent writing advice presented in an entertaining yet oddly motivating fashion. I love Chuck's voice. He seems to say the things I need to hear in the way I need to hear them. Every aspect of writing that I could think of (inspiration, plot, theme, character, querying, websites, marketing...) is cover
Drew
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In addition to being a fine author of urban fantasy and near-future YA dystopian epics, Chuck Wendig offers advice on writing via his blog (www.terribleminds.com). His posts on "25 Things"--covering topics from 25 things to know about protagonists to 25 ways to keep your death-spiraling novel from hitting a city full of innocent citizens (okay, I made that one up)-- are pithy, insightful and sometimes NSFW.

That said, they are some of the best writing advice out there. THE KICK-ASS WRITER collect
Zora
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
If you read his blog, you know what you'll be getting. If adolescent male humor isn't your thing, you should avoid. (I myself like the occasional **** joke, so that wasn't my complaint with it.)

The problem is, it's just not very useful information. I compare it to my favorite how-to writing books (Swain, Bickham, McKee), and it looks like pretty weak tea in comparison. I'm not disagreeing with the advice, which is largely correct. (Yes, do write every day.) It's just not precise advice. This boo
Nick Wisseman
Feb 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
Chuck Wendig’s The Kick-Ass Writer: 1001 Ways to Write Great Fiction, Get Published, & Earn Your Audience won’t change your writing life. But there are some useful tips inside, and at some point, he’ll make you laugh out loud.

As the subtitle suggests, The Kick-Ass Writer is written in list format: each chapter (originally a blog post) contains 25 rapid-fire pieces of advice about a given topic. This approach results in some repetition, and prevents Wendig from doing deep dives or providing d
Elena
May 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
this was so try-hard. PLEASE DUDE, NO MORE TORTURED OVERLY SPECIFIC CULTURAL REFERENCES AND METAPHORS AND LONG STRINGS OF POINTLESS ADJECTIVES INVOLVING ANIMALS AND EVISCERATING. like the advice was solid I GUESS but for god's sake, the writing. the writing was so bad.

also, a book published in the year of our lord 2k13 should not have a reference to an "alien squaw" in it. nope nope nope
Helen
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
There are some useful points in this book and plenty of good advice, but the format of the book means it doesn't work well as a cover-to-cover read. Reading endless lists can get tedious, especially since the entire book is formatted that way.

Each section of the book is split into a list of 25 writing tips, each one pertaining to a certain aspect of writing - worldbuilding, for example, or publishing, or writing for particular genres, such as Horror. The lists are also interspersed with Chuck's
Nicolás Pinto
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Useful advises, writing with an entertaining voice. Although they are not so new if you already read some 'more famous' book about writing. As I said on the updates, is not the WHAT but the HOW the advises are given: is like a soccer coach just bumping you out with enthusiasm and decision about write and care about what you are doing.

The key part is about The Hybrid Author: the one who can save the worl... No, that's not it. Oh, I know! The one who can do everything and everywhere: self publish,
Jorge Rodighiero
I was surprised about how little useful information I got from this book. It has some good tips, maybe 10, but all the countless others are repetitive and redundant.
As someone else said in the reviews, this may be caused because he forced himself to find 25 things to talk about in each section, when fewer would have been ok for that particular section.
What it quickly got repetitive too was the humor, that tried to be "radical" or something, but it got teenager-y very quickly.
Kaye
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not really a book to sit down and read cover to cover. This collection of lists of "25 Things" is a good kick in the pants when you need a quick bit of inspiration on a specific topic.
Kate Lowell
Oct 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing-books
I'm kind of disappointed in this. Don't get me wrong--I love Chuck. He has a way of cutting right to the meat of things, but it didn't work in this book.

There's a pile of good information in here. Great reminders and lots of encouragement, and a strong slant towards 'do your own thing', which I believe in very much (even if I often let myself be swayed by the 'one true way' crew).

But the format of the book hampered Chuck's message. It was obvious in some sections that he was working hard, trying
Tiger Gray
Jul 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
3.5

I've read a number of Wendig's books on writing so this is a rehash of old material for me, or so I find. Nonetheless it also contained many helpful tidbits that I as a writer really needed to hear at this stage in the game. I think that the book best serves writers, in fact, because Wendig doesn't give nuts and bolts examples of how to accomplish a particular thing (like how to make characters interesting, for example. he just says you ought to strive towards making your characters interesti
Tobin Elliott
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hard-copy, 5-stars
I love this book. I love Wendig's insane, irreverent writing style. I love his advice. Oh, sure, he's obsessed with animals and poopholes and animals' poopholes, but the man is engaging as all shit.

Now, having said that...I got ripped off. This book is subtitled "1001 ways..." Well, yeah...there's only 801 ways, so, Wendig, you foul mouthed pumper humper, you owe me either 200 more tips or a refund of 20%. Don't make me sic my rabid, genetically-modified, cybernetically-enhanced turtle/kangaroo
Gus Sanchez
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm done with books on writing craft, but I'll read anything Chuck Wendig has to say. This collection of foul-mouthed yet soul-nourishing essays may or may not improve your writing style, but they'll constantly serve to remind you that you want to write, goddamn it, so here's how you fucking get to get at it.

If you're reading Chuck's blogs at Terrible Minds, then you're already familiar with his essays.
Wayne Marinovich
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kick-ass indeed.

One of the best writers / publishing guides I have read in the last 24 months. Great little tit-bits of information laced with a clearly disturbed sense of humour

If you don't like a little cursing or references to your pink naughty bits. You might get sidetracked from the insightful advice Mr Wendig shares. Shelve your prudishness and learn with a laugh..
Bryce Calderwood
Absolutely fucking indispensable thoughts, ideas, attitudes, and practices about being a successful professional writer. I don't think I'll ever cease reading in this; I can always open it up to a spot, dive in, and come away with something useful or motivational.
Noura Noman
It's good advice. Needs to be less rambly though

There's a lot of great advice in this book. For novice writers and more experienced writers.

Just one thing: 1001 could easily be reduced to 300 and still be fantastic.
M. Brian Gardner
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There is only one place for this book after finishing it; on my desk and right next to my copies of On Writing by Stephen King and The Elements of Style by William Strunk.
Kristen
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Loved it. Lots of tips, some common sense and some I hadn't thought of.
Glen Krisch
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Funny and full of knowledge about the writing craft. What's not to like?
Justine Manzano
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was two things for me.

1) It is a comprehensive collection of tips and tricks of the writing trade, told by an author I generally enjoy, who works in genres I find interesting. No offense to those wonderful writing books out there that are written by literary fiction writers. They are usually very helpful as well, but there is something more enjoyable about someone who loves to write in Science Fiction/Fantasy, discussing the best ways to make it in that field, because that's my jam.

T
Larissa Lee
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it
[First Glance]
I'd seen Pinterest pins of various quotes from this book, particularly during the NaNoWriMo season. Considering his mouth (foul words and verbal slaps in the face), I knew I'd likely be both amused and annoyed with Wendig's style.

[Positive Bits]
I love lists! A list forces a writer to be concise and to really make sense of their thoughts. Listmaking is one of my favorite writing tools, both for vague story outlines and for stretching my creative writing muscles.

Between the jokes and
Richard Labbett
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A refreshing alternative to the usual self help books that's educational,easy to read and very funny.

After hitting the looming,great wall of self doubt halfway through writing the first draft of my own attempt at a novel,I came across Chuck Wendig and his unique style of writing advice on Twitter and followed him.Some of the advice I've taken from the authors on there has been invaluable,but a lot of it is was too formal,felt preachy or was just generic(visit my Facebook page,read my blog,check
J.D. Cunegan
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I may have mentioned this before, but I hate books on writing. The vast majority of them are either so dreadfully dull that they could double as a cure for insomnia, or they're so intimidating that I leave feeling like I'll never write another word.

But Stephen King's On Writing bucked that trend, and so does Chuck Wendig's The Kick-Ass Writer.

Wendig is clear from the get-go that the contents of this book are not gospel, that the majority of what he puts in this book amount to little more than su
Susan
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I both loved and was a tiiiny bit scared by this book, so could only read it in small doses. My writer confidence was particularly shaky. This is an intense, very honest book filled to the brim with what is takes to be a writer, and I only had about a thimble full of what it takes.

Then I started getting bitten by something in my house. Had the pest control guy here three times, but they found nothing. I was prescribed both pill and cream, I washed and bagged up all my stuff. Didn't matter. I bou
Tara May
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Report originally posted at www.growingpages.com

Genre: Non-Fiction | Writing

Themes: Writing fiction, Publishing, Social Media, Monkeys & Bees

*Explicit* (In other words, he swears a lot)

Wow, what to say about Chuck Wendig? He’s the blogger at www.terribleminds.com, he’s very funny, and he’s a kick-ass writer. All three of these characteristics of Chuck are wrapped neatly into his book, The Kick-Ass Writer.

This book bears a somewhat lengthier report, simply because my reasons for reading it we
Kim
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, writing
If you're a fan of Chuck's blog or Twitter and you are looking for some solid writing advice, this is a good read. It's structured as lists of 25 tips or pieces of advice instead of one narrative and I really appreciate that, since writing advice is so subjective. It's written in a way that lets me go back to it easily as reference when I'm working on/struggling with a certain aspect of the creative process. I love the section on 25 ways to defeat writer's block. I definitely plan on grabbing an ...more
  • Writing 21st Century Fiction: High Impact Techniques for Exceptional Storytelling
  • The Guide to Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction: 6 Steps to Writing and Publishing Your Bestseller!
  • Wonderbook: The Illustrated Guide to Creating Imaginative Fiction
  • The First 50 Pages: Engage Agents, Editors and Readers, and Set Up Your Novel for Success
  • Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success
  • Story Structure Architect
  • Story Physics: Harnessing the Underlying Forces of Storytelling
  • The Complete Handbook Of Novel Writing: Everything You Need To Know About Creating & Selling Your Work (Writers Digest)
  • 20 Master Plots: And How to Build Them
  • Scene & Structure (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • The Story Grid: What Good Editors Know
  • Emotion, Conflict and Back Story (Writing Active Setting #2)
  • Starve Better: Surviving the Endless Horror of the Writing Life
  • Take Off Your Pants! Outline Your Books for Faster, Better Writing
  • Emotion Amplifiers
  • Now Write! Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror: Speculative Genre Exercises from Today's Best Writers and Teachers
  • Revision & Self-Editing: Techniques for Transforming Your First Draft Into a Finished Novel
Chuck Wendig is a novelist, a screenwriter, and a freelance penmonkey.
He has contributed over two million words to the roleplaying game industry, and was the developer of the popular Hunter: The Vigil game line (White Wolf Game Studios / CCP).

He, along with writing partner Lance Weiler, is a fellow of the Sundance Film Festival Screenwriter's Lab (2010). Their short film, Pandemic, will show at th

Nonfiction Deals

$17.99 $1.99
  • John Quincy Adams
    $12.99 $3.99
    $15.99 $2.99
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • No Compromise: The Life Story of Keith Green
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Marriage in Dog Years
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Trusting God Day by Day: 365 Daily Devotions
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (Kindle Edition)
  • The Big House: A Century in the Life of an American Summer Home
  • Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fierce Patriot: The Tangled Lives of William Tecumseh Sherman
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams
  • The Reaper: Autobiography of One of the Deadliest Special Ops Snipers
  • Our Revolution: A Future to Believe In
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Decluttering at the Speed of Life: Winning Your Never-Ending Battle with Stuff
  • Maps and Legends: Reading and Writing Along the Borderlands
  • Goddess: The Secret Lives of Marilyn Monroe
    $17.99 $1.99
  • SACRED JOURNEY OF THE PEACEFUL WARRIOR
    $9.32 $3.49
  • The Devil Soldier: The American Soldier of Fortune Who Became a God in China
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Ninety Percent of Everything: Inside Shipping, the Invisible Industry That Puts Clothes on Your Back, Gas in Your Car, and Food on Your Plate
    $9.99 $2.99
“Stop abandoning your children. You wouldn’t call yourself a runner if you quit every race halfway through. Finishing is a good start. Stop looking for the escape hatch; pretend your work in progress just doesn’t have one. 23.” 1 likes
“Creative agitation can serve you well. Embrace it. Look into that dark hole for answers, not fear.” 0 likes