Start by marking “No Excuses Art Journaling: Making Time for Creativity” as Want to Read:
No Excuses Art Journaling: Making Time for Creativity

No Excuses Art Journaling: Making Time for Creativity

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  435 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Kiss those excuses goodbye!

"I don't have time." "I don't know what to journal about." "I can't keep the momentum going."

Sound familiar? What are your excuses for not spending time with your art journal? Get ready to cast those excuses aside because Gina Rossi Armfield'sNo Excuses Art Journaling offers a no-fail approach to art journaling.

Using a day planner as your art jou
Published December 31st 2013 by North Light Books (first published December 2nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about No Excuses Art Journaling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Excuses Art Journaling

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of No Excuses Art Journaling: Making Time for Creativity
Chris
1.5 stars. So-so - perfect if you're looking for a very structured approach to art journaling at $50-$97/year. No thanks, although I did enjoy some of the sample journal pages in the book.
Christine
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, nonfiction
Inspiring! This books leaves me with "no excuses", lol. There are lots of ideas for my journal that include small scale art projects and writing prompts. Tons of techniques and supplies to make those projects. I can't wait to try them all.
Quinn
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-how-to-s
Before I met Gina Rossi Armfield, her book, No Excuses Art Journaling, had me hooked. After I met her at CHA (Craft and Hobby Association Convention in Anaheim), I felt I'd met someone I'd known for a long time and crossed paths with again. She's warm and happy to share her ideas. Over dinner, I got hooked on her style of art journaling and am having a lot of fun doing a "No-Excuses" journal of my own.

Her book is a flat-out, ingenious way to journal. There are easy step-by-step instructions. Tak
Cindi P.
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I began exploring art journaling during an online course with Brene Brown, The Gifts of Imperfection. That made me curious to know more, as well as the courage to try. I don't consider myself an artist. I am, as I believe all of us are, creative, though that remains dormant during the daily demands of life. I'm also not deeply crafty, nor do I have the patience to be. All that being said in an effort to encourage the art shy journalers, I enjoyed the book. It is good at step-by-step guidelines w ...more
Elizabeth A
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: art, 2014
From the blurb: Using a day planner as your art journal, you'll find daily, weekly and monthly prompts that you can adapt to fit your real-life, busy schedule. Along the way, you'll learn fun and convenient techniques to add sketching, watercolor painting, collage and more into your journal, all while setting goals, creating art and chronicling your unique life.

This book is probably really good for the absolute beginner to art journaling. If you have never done it before, this book has simple in
Elisa
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-part-of-it
Has some useful ideas, but a bit too OC for me. I already pick my color for the day by what I wear; don't mind a word for the day; drawing the weather every day seems a tad boring. Plus Collage for the month, color palette for the month, weekly design cards, thematic grids (draw a different eye for every day in February)...
Jamie
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is great in every way! If you have an interest in art journaling, documenting your life on a regular basis, and want an inspiring, easy-to-use book to get you started, this is it. It is now on my to-do list, possibly for 2015.
Tammy V
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I like this book! I like the examples which are clearly explained and photographed, I like that it makes me want to sit down and just do it as opposed to thinking about what I don't have on hand (another excuse not to just do it).

This is a month by month resource with different artists and mostly darwing and painting (*art* journaling - not need for writing anything). Inspiring.

While I'd like a bit more collage to the concept of art journaling, that isn't detrimental as I can see gelli prints an
Nadja
Jul 19, 2019 rated it liked it
It's been years since I last art journalled and I'm admittedly daunted by taking it up again owing to the master artworks I see on the internet. This book stretches your artistic boundaries (if you feel you have none) yet encourages you that you, too, have what it takes. It might be too structured for some, but if you're creatively blocked, this could be a great springboard to get started. Spotlighting various art journals from real people is a great addition, as is including visual page example ...more
Johannah Gage
I would have denied that I ever needed a system for art journaling, I just grab a book and go. This is true. But this book, with its very specific system/template, has been incredibly useful in helping me develop a daily practice. This system gets me to pick up my pens and brushes -- every day -- and even if all I do is choose a word of the day, color of the day, and record the weather, at least I've put something creative on paper. Some days that's an achievement, and this system is perfect for ...more
Linda
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-greads
another instructional book, but, hey, since I'm so far behind for the year, I'll use anything. Haven't actually used it, but, lots of fun ideas.
Heather Miller
a nice book

this is a great book...it just wasnt what i was
looking for. it would be great for someone more artistic.
Bekah
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Offers some good beginners advice on materials to use and how to set up a planner-like art journal. I would have liked more inspiring journal prompts.
Lael Walters
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not much to this book but I think the simple idea will get me motivated
Miss Nicky
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's perfect timing that I found this book in October while I am thinking about preparing for a new year! This book was jam packed with inspiration and I can't wait to dive in!
Stephanie
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
inspiring and fun.
Shirley
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creativity
Awesomely creative ideas and inspiration for journaling
Julie Hunsaker
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice inspiration

Nice jumping off point to get started on art journaling. Some good ideas about the washi tape. Recommend this book.
Gina
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Did not grab me when it was first published but like the take on easy ways to punch up your art journaling. Inspired me to just start where I was. Did not use a yearly planner as I thought the paper would be inferior but used a blank commercial journal instead. As a bookbinder, I am also concerned with the stress on the spine all the additions will cause but have methods of dealing with that. Liked the free Kindle copy and bought the paperback as well.
Jen
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Certainly a great book to get you started in art journaling. It has some great sample pages in the last section of the book, with examples of art journal artist's work and ideas (including one of my favourites, Jenny Doh).

It is very 'seasonal' - if you live in any part of the southern hemisphere, like Australia/NZ then you may find it a little irritating to have suggested themes and imagery that only suits the seasonal cycles of the north. It is also very Americanised (Thanksgiving, etc).

It do
Jhoanna
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic easy primer on how to kickstart your daily art-making. Gives you a simple formula (with downloadable instructions & art prompts) to make a calendar-type art journal with monthly, weekly and daily art projects.

Gina Rossi Armfield champions a no-fuss, it's-okay-to-make-mistakes view of art journaling which makes her prompts ridiculously easy to follow. Daily "tasks" are things like: pick a color of the day, doodle a design and pick a word of the day - all totally doable and low stress
I waffled between 3-4 stars for this book. There are some errors and vague information regarding material names in the beginning of the book which could confuse some beginners. I almost quit reading because of it, but decided to stick it out and I'm glad I did. Daily art journaling is something I've been struggling with. I enjoy it, but haven't been able to find the right format fit for the time I have available. The format and ideas in this book turned out to be a good fit for what I want to do ...more
Morgaine Swann
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of good ideas to get you painting.

This book gives you a skeleton of a weekly journal and has daily, monthly and monthly prompts an projects so you do at least a little every day. The guest artists show the variety that can come when different artists approach the same prompt. There's an added bonus in that there are free downloads you can use in creating your journal. Highly recommended.
Megan
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: creativity, art
For many years I've wanted to somehow incorporate art journaling in to my creative process and I've always struggled with it! There are so many different approaches and systems (and the trend of "bullet journals" is also very interesting)! I never know how or where to start.

This book outlines a very clear system that feels like it would be flexible and fun. I hope to give it a try as we start a new year!
Karen
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely wonderful book on journaling your daily experiences combined with art. A lot of techniques are covered, and several prompts for each month of the year. For a beginner starting out, this is a great way to begin. For a more experienced journaler, this is a great way to get new ideas and get that journal filled with all the wonderful and meaningful things happening in life.
Ashleigh
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Get creative! I love this book and have been using these techniques for art journaling for the last 4 years. Read it again as I set up my art journal for the year. Everyone can do this, and it is fun to play with color and pattern, think about your word, color, and design for the day, and figure out what tiny watercolors you want to paint. Great book!
Joanna Cabot
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, art-books
Loved it! Took off a star because the Kindle format was a little tricky---I have the paper version as well and recommend that over the Kindle version. Love the content, though. The book is a little prescriptive in places (I have no interest at all in drawing the weather every day) but I like that she gives choices, and that she makes daily art so manageable and accessible.
Jamila
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am grateful for this book. As an artist, designer, writer, and educator, I will utilize many of the strategies and sources of inspiration within. Each page is delightful. And, the guest artist pages are super!
booklover
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Visually beautiful with theme pages that are filled with quotes, ideas, techniques and prompts to use in your calendar journal. The exercises feature a monthly interview with an artist and their interpretation of the assignment.

• The Painted Art Journal: 24 Projects for Creating Your Visual Narrative
  • Artist's Journal Workshop: Creating Your Life in Words and Pictures
  • Art Before Breakfast: A Zillion Ways to be More Creative No Matter How Busy You Are
  • Draw Your Day: An Inspiring Guide to Keeping a Sketch Journal
  • The Joy of Watercolor: 40 Happy Lessons for Painting the World Around You
  • The Art of Whimsical Lettering
  • Collage Couture: Techniques for Creating Fashionable Art
  • 151 Uncommon and Amazing Art Studio Secrets
  • Ideas & Inspirations for Art Journals & Sketchbooks
  • Collage Crafts Gone Wild: Mixed Media Projects and Techniques
  • Art Journal Art Journey: Collage and Storytelling for Honoring Your Creative Process
  • Themes and Variations
  • Last Night in Montreal
  • Colored Pencil Collage: Nature Drawing and Painting for Mixed Media
  • Art Journal Freedom: How to Journal Creatively with Color & Composition
  • Creative Watercolor: A Step-by-Step Guide for Beginners--Create with Paints, Inks, Markers, Glitter, and More! (Art for Modern Makers)
  • No Crumbs Left: Whole30 Endorsed, Recipes for Everyday Food Made Marvelous
  • Taste of Home Handmade Christmas

News & Interviews

“Someone once told me that you need to know what the box is in order to think outside of it.” 0 likes