Start by marking “A Cold Heart (Alex Delaware, #17)” as Want to Read:
A Cold Heart (Alex Delaware, #17)

A Cold Heart (Alex Delaware #17)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  7,587 Ratings  ·  219 Reviews
LAPD homicide detective Milo Sturgis summons his friend, psychologist-sleuth Alex Delaware, to a trendy gallery where a promising young artist has been brutally garroted on the night of her first major showing. The details of the murder scene immediately suggest to Alex not an impulsive crime of passion, but the meticulous and taunting modus operandi of a serial killer.

De
Published December 30th 2003 by Ballantine Books (first published April 29th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about A Cold Heart, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
John Zondag
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Jeremy Bates
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm sometimes asked who are some author's who have influenced my writing. I always had a stock answer: Stephen King, simply because he's the King and is one of the best writers of the last thirty years. And Scott Smith, because his A Simple Plan was one of the inspirations for White Lies (a regular person in a simple situation that snowballs out of control).

Now I will likely add Kellerman to that list, and largely because of his writing style. There might be better writers out there, but I haven
Nancy
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite Alex Delaware books, as this story actually has character development! A promising artist is found killed on the night of her first major showing, and Alex and Milo investigate. They find an unlikely connection between the artist's killing and the murder of a blues guitarist, and detective Petra Connor and her new partner Eric help with the case. Alex's former lover Robin is targeted by the killer, as the killer is jealous of upcoming artists since he is experiencing writers b ...more
Jessica
Apr 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Needing a book to read by the pool at Harrison Hot Springs I relied on an old favorite author. It was nice to have a familiar main character, but it was not Jonathan Kellerman's best. The main thing is that it could get a little wet at the pool since I had to actually read it in the pool because outside it was so cold.
Kelly ...
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries, fiction
Another solid Delaware yarn. I will bullet point this one.
- The character of Petra interests me as she is completely imperfect and stubborn but diligent and intelligent. I hope at some point she is hired by Milo.
- I missed Milo. He was barely present in this one and he is my favorite charachter.
- Allison seems smart and kind, but so far she is dull. I hope that she becomes more animated and less passive in the relationship or I will be over her sooner rather than later.
- Alex is less reckless an
RJ
Aug 15, 2014 rated it liked it
There is a lot to like about this novel for fans of Kellerman's Alex Delaware series. We see both Milo Sturgis and Petra Connor work the case. Also, we see Petra, who usually works solo, given a partner who has major quirks. Kellerman does a great job of shading in just enough of his backstory to keep the reader interested without disrupting the plot.

So why did I only give it three stars? It had to do with the tricky business of dropping clues. Most of the mystery writers that I enjoy give just
Hugh Mullan
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Jonathan Kellerman novel and I was very impressed; I'll be reading more in the future. The main character is a psychologist named Alex Delaware - who assists the LAPD with cases. The detectives in this novel are are his friend Milo Strugis and partners Petra Connor and Eric Stahl. Someone is killing people who are on the cusp of fame or a comeback and when Sturgis and Connor - working on separate murders - notice similarities they team up with Delaware to solve the case.
I thou
Sharon Kallenberger Marzola
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-read
I haven't read an Alex Delaware novel in awhile. I'm happy I picked this up to continue the saga.

Alex and Milo hooked up to try and figure out who is killing artists making a comeback. At first the murders don't seem to be related but then Alex puts a couple clues together. What is behind the murders? Is someone jealous?

I like Petra's new partner Eric. He has a troubled past. It will be interesting to see how Kellerman develops this character in the future.

I'm still upset that Robin and Alex
Deborah Mitton
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the first novel of Jonathan Kellerman I have read. I find I will pick up a few more copies of his work. I enjoyed the writing, the pace and the twists that the author took us on. It was a little unnerving at first that each chapter was dedicated to one of the many characters in the story. After realizing what Kellerman was doing I really started to enjoy the nove.
Ralph McEwen
Nov 27, 2009 rated it liked it
This books offers a look at the long and tedious efforts involved while searching for clues. Not a lot of action, yet an interesting tale of linking small clues. There is a closer look at repeating characters interactions and emotional connections.
Alasandra Alawine
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Someone is killing artist who are on the verge of making it. Alex, Milo, Petra, and her new partner Eric Stahl join forces to bring the killer down.
  • Stone Kiss (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #14)
  • Turnstone (DI Joe Faraday, #1)
  • The Promise of a Lie
  • Remote Control (Alan Gregory, #5)
Jonathan Kellerman was born in New York City in 1949 and grew up in Los Angeles. He helped work his way through UCLA as an editorial cartoonist, columnist, editor and freelance musician. As a senior, at the age of 22, he won a Samuel Goldwyn Writing Award for fiction.

Like his fictional protagonist, Alex Delaware, Jonathan received at Ph.D. in psychology at the age of 24, with a specialty in the t
More about Jonathan Kellerman...

Alex Delaware (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware, #1)
  • Blood Test (Alex Delaware, #2)
  • Over the Edge (Alex Delaware, #3)
  • Silent Partner (Alex Delaware, #4)
  • Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5)
  • Private Eyes (Alex Delaware, #6)
  • Devil's Waltz (Alex Delaware, #7)
  • Bad Love (Alex Delaware, #8)
  • Self-Defense (Alex Delaware, #9)
  • The Web (Alex Delaware, #10)