Start by marking “The New School: How the Information Age Will Save American Education from Itself” as Want to Read:

The German Model is running out of steam. Both America’s college and university system, and its K-12 education system, were originally created based on German approaches in the 19th century. Now that it’s the 21st century, Glenn Harlan Reynolds suggests, it’s time for a change.

Higher education in America is facing a bust much like the housing bubble. It is the product of c
Published January 7th 2014 by Encounter Books (first published November 19th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The New School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New School

Daniel
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With the cost of education skyrocketing, some Americans have begun to question the value of sending their children to college. In this timely book, Glenn Reynolds looks both at the reasons for the increasing costs and considers alternatives to the current college/university model -- as well as that of elementary and secondary education.

Reminding his readers that whenever there are problems in education, certain voices clamor that they could solve the problem if only they had more money, the auth
Sera
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Solid book about the current education bubble, which was a nice complement to The Lawyer Bubble: A Profession in Crisis that I had read last year. The current secondary school system is outdated and the incredible rise in the tuition in higher education can't be sustained. Reynolds puts forth some good ideas on how overall the American education system can change for the better, most of which I agreed with; however, the clock is ticking for our kids, and many of us don't have time to wait, which ...more
Megan
Jun 11, 2014 rated it liked it
"The New School: How the Information Age Will Save American Education from Itself" by Glenn Harlan Reynolds is a very interesting book. He goes into details about the origins of American education both at the elementary/secondary and post-secondary levels. He then goes on to predict how the internet age will usher in changes to the status quo.
I thought Reynold had some good ideas and I enjoyed reading his book. It'll be interesting to watch to see what shifts occur in the next ten years or so t
Laura Brogan
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book provides some new perspectives on the reality that today's education systems (public and collegiate) are not offering students enough for their time and money. The author does offer some interesting solutions; although, I am not sold that technology will be the answer.
Jake
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good light look at the modern schooling system and how it makes sense historically .

This is like if gatto's books on school were written about college in modernity and were a bit more coherent
Ilib4kids
Dec 17, 2014 rated it liked it
370.973 REY

Expansion of his books The Higher Education Bubble ,The K-12 Implosion

p1 Today's schools - both K-12 and universities ..based on models imported from Germany in 19th century. At one time, those 19th century models seems modern themselves...But they represented a major departure from the previous entirely of human history, and it maybe that the industrial model ..was a temporary detour. For most of human history, ...education wasn't a product but a process, a part of everyday living.
p3
Mike
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
A solid primer on the state of US education in 2 parts - college and k-12, and a great place to begin reading about the status quo and understand the challenges we face. With regard to both aspects, the author grounds his critique with the phrase "Anything that cannot go on forever, won't." This applies to the insane sums being paid as tuition and being thrown at public schools, all while outcomes deteriorate.

In higher ed, rule #1 is Don't go into debt. This goes for students and colleges, whic
Tony
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book may rub many of my colleagues in higher education the wrong way. However, this brief treatise is essential to the future considerations of education.

Glenn Harlan Reynolds begins by focusing on the higher education bubble. The worth of college degrees are going down as the cost for them rise. The burst or deflation of this bubble will be rough on many in the short-term, but will benefit anyone with a little common sense in the long-term. Is an art history degree worth being $60,000 in d
Tyler
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
I thought this book was going to be about technology in education, specifically the ways that technology will enhance education and create myriad possibilities for learning. This was not the case. Reynolds manages to make only a few salient points in about 90 pages.

Yes, there is a bubble in education as far as student loan availability, money spent on useless paper (i.e. diploma) with nothing to show for it, and contributed misguided philosophies that only twist and turn themselves into wastefu
Dan McGirt
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This short book is more of an extended essay on the causes of the higher and lower education bubbles Reynolds sees bursting and some of his prescriptions and predictions about how our systems of education may change in the near future. His style is breezy and accessible, as you might expect from the Instapundit. As a regular reader of the Instapundit blog, I found little new here, but the book is a good thought-provoking introduction to the topic. (I would also recommend Change.edu: Rebooting fo ...more
Tom
Feb 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting book that summarizes much of what you suspect or fear about education today. Teenagers live in a peer driven world that is extended by 2 - 4 - 6 years of college. I appreciated the data about declining applications to law schools and declining attendance at urban public schools. To be convincing The New School should be enhanced with factual backup. For example the author insinuates that gender and diversity programs produce graduates who cannot pay their student loans. I wouldn't en ...more
Mike
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
An easy read on a subject of considerable importance. The big-box education system is too expensive, is achieving low quality outcomes and leaving its customers deeply in debt as a a consequence. Glenn Reynolds puts the whole thing in context and proposes potential solutions that are more in-line with customers' needs and the demands of the contemporary workplace. He doesn't have all of the answers but he does a great job of convincing the reader that it's better to be in the business of educati ...more
Ben
May 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: education
This book is like a slap to the face that wakes you from sleeping. I mean that in a good way. Its barely one hundred pages but it hits you hard with vivid and tightly argued analysis of the current situation in American education. The content is not as positive as the title suggests. Reynolds has an urgent message and he gives it to you in the clearest terms. Big changes are coming or are already here. Anyone involved in education would benefit from taking note.
Pam
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Mexican boy: Viene la tormenta!
Sarah Connor: What did he just say?
Gas Station Attendant: He said there's a storm coming in.
Sarah Connor: [sighs] I know.

Talks about the state of education in the US and the current educational bubble. Although he didn't necessarily say anything new, Reynolds did put it into the context of other economic bubbles. Made me think about how to pursue education more rationally that works for students and what they need in terms of learning.
Lee Welter
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Thomas Jefferson (paraphrased): a poorly educated society will not remain free. Because I believe America's K-12 school monopoly needs a free market option, I had read much that Glenn Reynolds includes in his book. However, the breadth and depth of his content (plus references), perspicuously presented, delighted me.
Tpackert
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's less about how IT will change Education more about "Wake up, there is a big problem here and it is unsustainable". “Everybody knows there’s a problem; they just don’t want to talk about it because they don’t know what to do about it, and they’re afraid of what they might have to do if they did.”
Kristen
Mar 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This had some interesting thoughts about the origins of the American school system (both higher education and K-12) and how we'll have to leave those conventions behind if we want our kids to succeed in the 21st century economy. Great companion to The Smartest Kids in the World.
Andrew
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
Check out my review over at
Dave Schultz
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, philosophy
A quick insightful read. The author talks about education reform and the "education bubble". Recommend
Ulli
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone with kids in the school system. The US is one of the highest spenders in the world when it comes to education but one of the lower performers.
Richard
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: economics, future
Excellent, readable summary of the present bubble in higher education.
Peggy
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Got some great ideas for helping those stuck in the CC morass!
C
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brief, very readable, and full of thought-provoking ideas.
Rachel
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Some powerful thoughts about our current education system and whether it can be sustained at its current levels.
Andrea
Apr 30, 2015
Sophia Small
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
This was an interesting read. I felt inspired in a few parts, and am interested in seeing which path education will truly take.
Pat
Feb 14, 2018
Ray
Mar 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Beyond Measure: Rescuing an Overscheduled, Overtested, Underestimated Generation
  • Teaching with Fire: Poetry That Sustains the Courage to Teach
  • Unnaturally Delicious: How Science and Technology are Serving Up Super Foods to Save the World
  • The End of Doom: Environmental Renewal in the Twenty-first Century
  • Colleges That Change Lives: 40 Schools That Will Change the Way You Think About Colleges
  • The Case Against Homework: How Homework Is Hurting Our Children and What We Can Do About It
  • Identically Different: Why You Can Change Your Genes
  • The End of College: Creating the Future of Learning and the University of Everywhere
  • George Washington: The Crossing
  • The Genius of the Beast: A Radical Re-Vision of Capitalism
  • The Unforgettable Photograph: How to Take Great Pictures of the People and Things You Love
  • Men on Strike: Why Men Are Boycotting Marriage, Fatherhood, and the American Dream - and Why It Matters
  • The Strength Switch: How the New Science of Strength-Based Parenting Can Help Your Child and Your Teen to Flourish
  • Feel-Bad Education: And Other Contrarian Essays on Children and Schooling
  • American Psychosis: How the Federal Government Destroyed the Mental Illness Treatment System
  • Real Education: Four Simple Truths for Bringing America's Schools Back to Reality
  • The Sense of Being Stared At: And Other Unexplained Powers of the Human Mind
  • Why Smart Kids Worry: And What Parents Can Do to Help
“Bubbles form when too many people expect values to go up forever. Bubbles burst when there are no longer enough excessively optimistic and ignorant folks to fuel them. And there are signs that this is beginning to happen already where education is concerned.” 0 likes
“No one disputes that college has gotten a lot more expensive. A recent Money magazine report notes, “After adjusting for financial aid, the amount families pay for college has skyrocketed 439% since 1982. . . . Normal supply and demand can’t begin to explain cost increases of this magnitude.”1
Consumers would balk, except for two things.
First – as with the housing bubble – cheap and readily available credit has let people borrow to finance education. They’re willing to do so because of (1) consumer ignorance, as students (and, often, their parents) don’t fully grasp just how harsh the impact of student-loan payments will be after graduation; and (2) a belief that, whatever the cost, a college education is a necessary ticket to future prosperity. Second, there’s a belief that college is an essential entry ticket to the middle class, regardless of whatever actual value it might provide.”
0 likes