Start by marking “One Bowl Baking: Simple, From Scratch Recipes for Delicious Desserts” as Want to Read:
One Bowl Baking: Simple, From Scratch Recipes for Delicious Desserts

One Bowl Baking: Simple, From Scratch Recipes for Delicious Desserts

Yvonne Ruperti, recipe developer extraordinaire, will tempt readers into the kitchen with a uniquely simplified approach to baking. In this one-of-a-kind recipe collection, Yvonne shows how to create beautiful, delicious, and wholesome desserts from scratch using just one bowl. No mixer, no food processor. It's for anyone looking for the ease and convenience of box mix bak ...more
Published September 24th 2013 by Running Press Adult

To ask other readers questions about One Bowl Baking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Bowl Baking

Start your review of One Bowl Baking: Simple, From Scratch Recipes for Delicious Desserts
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I got a copy of this cookbook from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. I wasn't keen on reviewing a one bowl baking cookbook at first, because I feel like it's been done and I'm not that interested in trying to make something in one bowl. When I saw the author had spent several years on America's Test Kitchen, I was more interested, thinking her recipes would probably be from scratch and a higher caliber than your typical time-saving baking cookbook.

First, I made the Apple Crisp Mix-
Leigh Anne
May 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Simple, but not basic.

Not a complaint! just a heads-up that this book, while minimalist in terms of supplies, is actually intermediate in terms of ingredients needed and skill level. You can do a lot of complicated things with just one bowl, and recipes like "Upside-Down Sticky Pecan Muffins' and "Mocha Valencia Cupcakes" will appeal to folks who like to bring show-stopper desserts to the office potluck.

As most cookbooks do, Ruperti's includes good front matter: tools, ingredients, and other pr
Kathy Wolf
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read it - and will be trying many of the recipes.
The lemon pound cake was delicious - made it again with orange
zest and that was very good as well.
Julie Bratton
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've baked quite a few of these recipes and they've all been great! I go back again and again.
Julie
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
I came across this book by chance at the Library. After trying 3 cookie recipes I have ordered a copy from Read Between the Lynes in Woodstock. Yes, they were that good! The Crispy Brown Sugar Shortbread was fantastic! The Macadamia White Chocolate Chunk Cookies were buttery, crunchy & delicious! As for the Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies this is the best recipe ever! Yvonne Ruperti has truly impressed me :)

I love that she has really done her homework & given us something different! For singles,
Kathryn
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Yummy, yummy recipes in this book, many of which I want to try. Gotta buy this one!
Nicole
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Have now had this book for 2 weeks and have made 12 recipes which in itself is amazing as I have so many baking books and so little time! From the 12 recipes all but one were very good to great, 6 have become absolute keepers and there has only been one recipe (the Anzacs) that I wouldn't recommend baking again. For now I have to step away from this book though because it's just too easy and yummy and my pants are feeling a bit too snug! Recommended recipes lemon bars, strawberry cheesecake muff ...more
Rosemary Burton
Nov 05, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One of the worst

This should not have been published. Incompetent mess of a cook without order to their kitchen or life ... lots of over sharing about how messy things are and why the education and training they received was worthless... hmmm so never mind good equipment or the order of ingredients. Time I will never get back...
Steve
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: howto
Some really good recipes in here!
ReadWithE
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lots of basics but at least a dozen thing I haven't seen before and am dying to try! Will update review once I have tried a few
Rylie Lees
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With clear and simple recipes this cookbook is exactly what every home baker will love!
Maggiemuggins
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I was hoping for a book with a simple, one-bowl recipe on one page with a photograph of the finished product facing it. This is more a cookery course than a dessert recipe book. For a keen beginning baker it would probably be very useful but for those with a life-time of baking behind them, it will be of little interest as they will already have their own collection of recipes which will include most of the ones in the book.

There is far too much personal information and too many anecdotes about
Sandra Lassiter
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love to bake, but as a stay-at-home homeschooling mom of four, sometimes the time just isn't there for more than something super quick. That's where "One Bowl Baking" comes in. Mostly quick, easy recipes for scrumptious desserts, this is definitely a go to cookbook for when you need a dessert fast! There's a great range as well with everything from Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies, to Peaches and Cream Streusel Muffins, Chocolate Hazelnut Truffle Brownie Cupcakes and Triple Chocolate Blackout Ca ...more
Ava Brightly ☕
I have a 20 yr old, one bowl brownie recipe that I love and use whenever Im making brownies. One bowl cleanup couched between cooking for six on a daily basis and my aversion to doing mounds of dishes, it's no surprise this title caught my eye.

This is solely Yvonne Ruperti's endeavor although, I recalled she appeared on America's Test Kitchen (season 7? 8?). (Of note: I have several ATK cookbooks - those, too, I highly recommend.) They know their stuff!

I do prefer cooking over baking but Yvonne
Holly
May 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked Yvonne when she was on ATK and didn't know she had a book out unt it was mentioned on Smitten Kitchen. I immediately ordered the book and haven't been disappointed yet. There was a nice twist to classic oatmeal raisin with apricots and walnuts and some other interesting combinations. Some of the recipes are designed to be mixed right in the pan amd although I like to reduce the number of dishes I make I really prefer to use a bowl to ensure everything is mixed well and I won't find a clu ...more
Andrea Lewis
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This recipe book has not only delicious recipes but also easy recipes. It makes baking fun and less of a mess is being made when using one bowl to do all the mixing. I typed many recipes into my peperplate recipe app, to save strawberry muffing, corn muffings, doughnut muffing and many others, It is good healty eating to make things from scratch
lisa
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved this book and its recipes, but to me, the concept of one bowl baking is old hat. I've never used seperate bowls for baking because I'm lazy, and I never saw that it made any difference.

Chocolate chip cookies, snickerdoodles, sugar cookies (same as snickerdoodles without the cinnamon), peanut butter cookies 2nd recipe.
Kim
Nov 03, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked a lot of the recipes in this book, but would have liked more pictures. I appreciate the concept of one bowl baking, but found myself flagging mostly recipes that I either already know how to make, or would still use my stand mixer for. I do recommend reading the book, especially if you enjoy baking. I doubt I'll buy a copy, but I enjoyed reading it.
Jessica
Nov 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks-2013
I liked the premise of this book - baking usually includes multiple bowls and a LOT of stuff to clean up afterwards. But, in this book most of the recipes are simple, but from scratch recipes that use only one bowl. There are definitely a few things I want to test out from this one.
Leah
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
A quick read through tells me this book is destined to take a prominent spot on my cookbook shelf. While the photography drew me in, the recipes caused instant drooling. Time to stock up on butter and flour.
Ginny Pennekamp
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM. This is seriously fantastic baking for lazy people. "It's the best thing to happen to the Pennekamp household in a long time," quotes Finn, 2, who has been enjoying the peanut butter and jelly bars every single afternoon for a week.
Catherine
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-farm-garden
While I, like most cooks, have already perfected the art of minimizing dirty dishes, I did enjoy this book. Green tea cupcakes sounds like something I need to make soon. I also liked the recipes for "mini-cakes," requiring no math on my part.
Matthew Stuart
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
This book contains simple and delicious recipes. The one bowl concept does not really apply to me. I have a mixer and a dishwasher. But quick and tastes good is right up my alley. Tons of compliments for the soft brown sugar cookies that took 20 minutes from start to finish.
Colleenish
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
The premise of this book is that you can just dump everything in one bowl to make it. There are exceptions, but that's how I bake. Ain't nobody got time for sifting dry ingredients into a second bowl. This book has great pictures, simple ingredients, and many recipes I would actually make.
Beka
Oct 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This has a few nice interpretations but the majority are basic recipes.
BRNTerri
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing

This is one of my favorite cookbooks ever!

Very detailed review here, http://wp.me/pLm4B-1q2
Jesse Henning
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
cute, surprisingly comprehensive. it's exactly what it says on the cover - simple for daily, unfussy dessert baking. think things your mom would put in your lunchbox.
Nancy
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
amazing flourless chocolate cake with sea salt.
Mckinley
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Will try some more. Need to tweak.
Example is the crumb cake a little - moist, short cake with deep crumbs (cut back) that tastes too floury but with nice hint of cinnamon.
Maggie
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Saved more recipes than usual from this cookbook. Looking forward to trying them out.

• Food52 Baking
  • Nothing Fancy: Unfussy Food for Having People Over
  • Roland Mesnier's Basic to Beautiful Cakes
  • Midwest Made: Big, Bold Baking from the Heartland
  • Martha Stewart's Cakes: Our First-Ever Book of Bundts, Loaves, Layers, Coffee Cakes, and more
  • Cast Iron Gourmet: 77 Amazing Recipes with Less Fuss and Fewer Dishes
  • A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2)
  • Effortless Journaling: How to Start a Journal, Make It a Habit, and Find Endless Writing Topics
  • Making Work Work for the Highly Sensitive Person
  • Notes from the Field
  • The Sound of Stars
  • Rendición
  • Vagina: A New Biography
  • Any Human Heart
  • Sinister Magic (Death Before Dragons, #1)
  • Smoothie Bowls: Healthy Breakfast Bowl Recipes
  • All Things Hidden
  • Things We Didn't Talk About When I Was a Girl: A Memoir
1 follower
It was clear Yvonne was a serious eater at age 12 when she realized she was passing up her mom's Cosmo mags for Bon Appetit instead. Yvonne grew up in upstate New York and was living in Boston before moving to Singapore in September 2011. She was planning on becoming a Veterinarian before switching to a career in food.

News & Interviews