Start by marking “Packing Light: Thoughts on Living Life with Less Baggage” as Want to Read:
Packing Light: Thoughts on Living Life with Less Baggage

Packing Light: Thoughts on Living Life with Less Baggage

What do you need to leave behind?

When I was in college, I figured my life would come together around graduation. I'd meet a guy; we'd plan a beautiful wedding and buy a nice house-not necessarily with a picket fence, but with whatever kind of fence we wanted. I might work, or I might not, but whatever we decided, I would be happy.

When I got out of college and my life didn'
Published September 1st 2013 by Moody Publishers (first published August 26th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Packing Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Packing Light

Christine Klymko
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
I will start by saying that I am seriously not the intended audience for this book and if I had read the description a little bit more carefully, I wouldn't have picked it up. It is much more explicitly Christian than I would have liked and I really don't care about this woman's journey to God.

I was expecting a book about adventures traveling around the US and inspiration for more road trips in my future (although I haven't driven through all 48 contiguous states I have driven across the US twic
Rachel
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish, faith
I expected to really enjoy this book, so I myself am surprised at my low rating. I'm willing to admit this may be in part because I listened to the audio version (hey, it was free). I don't typically do audio, and after this I probably won't try it again. The reading of it seemed surprisingly...disconnected, I guess, would be the word. It was how I would imagine I would read the book. But the author herself did the reading. It's her own story, so I expected her to have more of a connection, more ...more
Andrea
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoirs
Rounding up to 3 ⭐

Oh boy. This one had the recipe right...making a hard, bold choice to do something spectacular but scary. Road trip to all 50 states. Writing a book. Pursuing a dream. Finding what’s worthwhile....so I’m sad to admit it wasn’t what I’d hoped it to be. The entire book I felt like I was watching it from above, slightly detached, rather than experiencing it. I’m betting her blog is better.
Marcos
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Weak on all aspects

This book tries to be (1) a travelogue, (2) a Christian text on the will of God, (3) a self-help book on minimalism, and fails in all of them.
As a travelogue, the descriptions of places are poor and few. Most states get no mention at all. Since the author is so self-absorbed, there is no time to share whatever she sees in the trip. Like a teenager, she only writes about her feelings. Of course, she travels in the easiest country on Earth, with a car, credit cards, cell phones,
Tina
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found Ally's blog through Twitter one time and her blog quickly became one of my favorites. I must admit that I really liked reading the stuff she wrote about dating, because I thought they spoke the truth, and not in a flowery way but in a real, age-appropriate, I-can-apply-this-to-my-life way. I was also very, very amazed at how she and her friend quit their jobs, sell everything and then went on a road trip to pursue their dreams. It's such an exciting thing, things that my friends and I ca ...more
Megan Ericson
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: minimalism
I picked up this book because I'm a minimalist and I thought it was actually about packing. Boy, was I wrong ;-) Instead, a beautiful story unfolded of two women taking big risks and setting off on a six-month adventure of a lifetime. Packing light is a metaphor and a philosophy (and an actual packing strategy) they learned along the way.
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
I thought it was another i-discovered-myself-ona-fiddy-state-roadtrip-wifma-girlfriend memoir. Or maybe a minimalism book. But no, my friends.

Ally digs through all kinds of baggage on her trip, and mostly spiritual and emotional. Not even necessarily bad baggage, but baggage with the question of What do I NEED to keep? what needs to go? Selfishness baggage. Overpreparation baggage. Control baggage. Disappointment baggage. There is stuff God wants you to let go of, yet there are things we really
Kaitlin Kline
Sep 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Although I'm not going to follow in Allison's footsteps, the beginning of her story looks a lot like my current season. Some of the bigger details, like career and relationship status, differ, but our hearts start out the same. "Is this really all there is? If not, am I even capable of more?" I enjoy reading memoirs of people who remind me of myself because I find hope inside of them, the promise of a more interesting life several years down the road. But that's not the lesson I learned here...i ...more
Kari
Aug 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
This is a road trip book, the story of how Vesterfelt took a leap and went on tour with a friend as her roadie in all 50 states. I enjoyed the stories of exploring America, but I thought the metaphor of “packing light” got stretched a little thin. I also thought that too much of the story was about her writing the book. Recommended for: people who are thinking about what they carry with them, both physically and emotionally.
Devin Berglund
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Allison is a talented writer and brings to light many stories. You can see her humble and kind heart in her writing voice. I recommend this book to anyone who loves to travel, or anyone who wants to travel, but never has. At many parts in her book, I found myself nodding my head in agreement. She really knows what she is talking about. I don't want to spoil the story for any people, so you must go check it out! :)

See full review here: http://devinberglund.com/review-packi...
Leslie Matey
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't understand why this book didn't get a better rating. I loved it. It opened my eyes to do many things. I was in a funk when I started this book and it helped pull me out. I wanted to know where they were going next, how they got from one place to another, what their relationship statuses were, etc etc. I'm not a big religious person; more so a spiritual person, but I found this book inspiring.
Tina
Sep 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Taking a Leap of Faith

Interesting take on being a Christian and following God's plan. Many times I have felt that God was punishing me and forcing me to do something I was really afraid of. This book helped me to realize how unfounded those fears are.
Jenny Bunting
Jul 20, 2016 marked it as dnf
DNF'ed at 13%

Considering this is a memoir with minimalism as a big element, I couldn't get invested in the author's story. I just didn't feel compelled to continue on and I am completely at peace with putting this off to the side.
Kimberly
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
NOTES:
The place you start your journey is your anchor, the filter through which you process every single stop along the way. Our places shape us and teach us until, before we know it, we do not just live in a place. It lives inside of us.

Your starting point matters when you go on a trip. It is your only frame of reference for what to bring, and what to leave behind.

It’s cool to be smart in Portland. It’s cool to be politically active, to read books, to use big words like “socially constructed re
Gail Owen
May 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
While the title intrigued me, this book fell short of the "promised" mark in so many ways. About 2/3 of the way through, it seemed to turn into a whine fest. I agree with the author's premise that God does not force you down certain paths; however, neither does he promise that you are not going to have to take up a cross in order to follow him.
I kept waiting for insights on pairing down. And, the car seemed to be filled more and more with baggage on all levels...physically, emotionally, and spi
Kelly
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I finally picked this up at the library after hearing about it years ago. I actually did not realize it was a Christian book until I started reading it... not the usual kind of book I would choose. I actually initially thought this book was about minimalism... however, the book is more about her wrestles with trusting God rather than minimalism, or travel for that matter. I was looking for some inspiration as I am going on a road trip soon, but aside from her saying Deadwood was awesome and New ...more
Kristin
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs
Surprisingly poignant. I picked this up thinking it would be a light travel memoir to entertain but expected little more.

However, I found resonance in her graceful writing style and compassionately articulated philosophizing. Her voice remains with me several other books later, thrumming gently through my mind like a background of soft jazz — in tones that are improvisational, earnest, complex, and lovely.

I hope the author continues sharing her personal journey with the world and knows that sh
Stephanie
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought the book was more introspective than expected but that was a good thing to me. I could relate to the author and gained something from her insights. The book is more about the mental and emotional baggage we carry than physical baggage.

Cons: If you're looking for a book about travel, this book isn't it. There is a strong Christian message throughout the book that some might not appreciate. And obviously, the writer comes from a place of privilege to be able to take on such a trip in the
Anri
Oct 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
I started reading this one because I thought it was going to be about minimalism, traveling, and maybe one-bagging, but I was sadly mistaken. This is one of those books that I spite-read all the way through, just so that I can legitimately say that I read the whole thing and stand behind my bad rating of it. It was suuper frustrating to read.
Nancy Holte
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book didn't wow me but it was interesting. The author and a friend decided to take a road trip through all 48 states (and hopefully find a way to Hawaii and Alaska, too) and blog about it along the way. They experienced trials, joys, heartbreak, confusion, and hardship along the way. Oh, and they learned a lot about life, and about themselves.
Cyndy Defnall
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I appreciated how honest and vulnerable the author was in the book. I also appreciated her shared nuggets of wisdom. Traveling all 50 states is an amazing feat no matter the circumstances and the author and her friend did have some trials and triumphs. While some things could have gone a lot worse it wasn't all rainbows for them and the experience impacted them both in different ways.
Leisa
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this

This book was a life changing read for me. I see many changes coming because I intend to apply the principles in this book. It is essential to hold lightly to our possessions and lean on the Lord to experience life to it's fullest. Old and young will be able to be inspired by this book!!
Wayne Magon
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Allison's (Ally) writing style, extensive use of dashes ' - ' and all. I got the feeling that there was so much more that she could of told, but allowed me to fill in the pieces nicely as she took me on her 6 month journey.
Cheryl A Schroeder
Quietly Engulfing.

Really enjoyed this book. In my own quest to downsize my things & change my attitude to one of more gratitude, I found her challenges on her road trip to reflect some of my own inner questions being voice.
Whistlers Mom
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Minimalism with a Christian slant....

This book made me think hard about book reviews and their usefulness and short-comings. I bought this book largely because of the beautifully written, heartfelt review by Chad. He loved it and I was sure I would, too. Like Chad, I'm discouraged by how many Americans have bought into materialism and the horrible price we pay. Also, I have two young relatives who've announced that they're taking time off for an extended car/camping trip through the Western stat
Rachel Davis
It was alright

I wanted more... and less. I enjoyed the concept, but I wanted more of a transformation. Although, I suppose that's life. I also felt like the end dragged in the sense of momentum and length.
Bokvorm Adair
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring

I really enjoyed the author's candid and honest assessment of herself. I felt I was sitting down just having a cup of coffee with her getting to know her. And I could relate to her view of God. God is good and wants us all to experience a piece of heaven if we just get out of our own way.
Maegan Wren
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was truly inspiring !
Ruth-Anne Hayes
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Great ideas
Lee Ann  Pfleider
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Uselul 1 3 Dec 18, 2016 02:08AM
  • The In-Between: Embracing the Tension Between Now and the Next Big Thing: A Spiritual Memoir
  • Spiritual Misfit: A Memoir of Uneasy Faith
  • Night Driving: A Story of Faith in the Dark
  • Gray Matters: Navigating the Space between Legalism and Liberty
  • Heroes and Monsters: An Honest Look at the Struggle within All of Us
  • Life After Art: What You Forgot About Life and Faith Since You Left the Art Room
  • Ordinary: How to Turn the World Upside Down
  • Holy Is the Day: Living in the Gift of the Present
  • Bittersweet: Thoughts on Change, Grace, and Learning the Hard Way
  • Gospel Assurance and Warnings (Recovering the Gospel)
  • More or Less: Choosing a Lifestyle of Excessive Generosity
  • Shalom Sistas: Living Wholeheartedly in a Brokenhearted World
  • Tables in the Wilderness: A Memoir of God Found, Lost, and Found Again
  • 31 Proverbs to Light Your Path
  • Speak: How Your Story Can Change the World
  • Spurgeon's Sorrows: Realistic Hope for those who Suffer from Depression
  • The Way Is Made by Walking: A Pilgrimage Along the Camino de Santiago
  • Doing Christian Ethics from the Margins
My name is Allison and I am a writer by profession, passion and necessity.

The message has changed my life so dramatically, I’m passionate about helping others discover their own answers to the questions that ultimately inspired my trip. What do you really want out of life? What is getting in your way?

I do this through writing, speaking and teaching (or coaching) other writers and dreamers.

I have a
“...maybe the healthiest way to form expectations it to expect less in the specific and more in the general.” 3 likes
“Where your passion meets their need, that is your calling.” 3 likes