Start by marking “Alphablock” as Want to Read:
Alphablock

Alphablock

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  232 ratings  ·  47 reviews
With thick pages cut into the shape of each letter, children and parents will enjoy this peek-through guessing game around the letterform itself. Sprinkles, hot fudge, and cherries hint at I’s ice cream sundae, while aquarium accessories hint at F’s fish. As readers interact with the pages, they will familiarize themselves not only with the 26 letters and associated words, ...more
Board Book, 104 pages
Published August 6th 2013 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Alphablock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alphablock

Miriam
I'm not quite sure what the big deal is about this book -- reviewers seem to be reacting as if they had never seen a picture book with peek-through/cutout pages before. It's hardly a new idea. But it's a nice, solid ABC book with good illustrations. I would have liked if all the pictures matched up* on both sides of the letters rather than only some; I liked the ones that matched as you flipped them much better. But kids at the appropriate age level probably won't notice.

*In case that's hard to
Kate
I'm pretty sure this is the first board book I've ever reviewed - probably because the vast majority of board books (even ones that do a good job of being developmentally appropriate for babies and toddlers) are quite unremarkable. If they're not adaptations of other things like popular toddlers' TV shows, picture books, nursery rhymes, etc., they are simple concept books. This one falls into the latter category, but it's worth noticing for its beautiful artwork and the way the letter is cut out ...more
Ashley Green
Franceschelli, C. (2013). Alphablock. New York: Abrams Appleseed.

2014 ALSC Notable Children's Books

Alphabet

This book is a perfect early learner tool for alphabet practice. It features cut out letters on each spread, emphasizing the shape of the letter and adding to the surprise on the next page. The spreads featuring the front of cut out letters set the scene of the the word associated with the letter, then the word is revealed when the the letter page is turned. The images are bright and frien
Donalyn
Outstanding design with just the right amount of whimsy.
Amberly
I ordered this for my toddler for Christmas. It arrived today. I LOVE this book. The illustrations are fabulous. It is very thick to accommodate the entire alphabet. The center pages can't open quite as wide because of that. It seems very sturdy.

Each page has two facing pages with a center letter cut out page that flips between the two. This makes the illustrations especially interesting. I really enjoyed x for x ray. On the left page is a hand, on the right page is an x ray of the same hand. W
Sandy
Love this hardy alphabet book for little ones. I am so impressed with this book, the cover is thick and slick and each page is hard and slick and it will be able to handle the test of time with little ones flipping through its pages many, many times. Each letter of the alphabet is present in a 4 page layout with the first two pages consisting of showing the letter with a picture on one side and the other side, the letter of the alphabet is cut out and the reader can glimpse what the letter is go ...more
RC
Thick pages provide children the opportunity learn the alphabet by examining the letter cut-out and then guessing words that describe part of the image that begins with that letter seen through the holes in the cut-out.Alphablock is a colorful and eye-catching lesson on the alphabet that is enjoyable for children and adults alike.

Promotes vocabulary, phonological awareness, print awareness, letter knowledge and narrative skills.
Amy Musser
This sturdy board book is a visual alphabet delight. Page turns and cut outs encourage readers to guess the answer to, “A is for…”, "B is for....", etc. as you travel through the alphabet. Visual clues not only make the game more fun, but also create compelling compositions. The graphics have distinct edges and bold colors.

Read More at Picture-Book-a-Day: http://picturebookaday.blogspot.com/2...
Eva Kelly
OK, so this is another one of those baby books [board books] that isn't really FOR babies and is actually pretty good for a girl my age. It's really creative and artistic! It's got all the letters in the right order and then a word and a picture for each one, and what's good is, the letters are all cut out so you can SEE them. But don't get confused when you turn the pages and they look backwards.
Brindi
I really liked this ABC board book with cutout letter pages. I like how the kids get the opportunity to guess what the letter is for (i.e. "G" is for....garden) by looking at the picture context clues. This brings print awareness to the child and as well as letter and background knowledge. The illustrations are excellent, and makes for a great first ABC gift.
Ariel Russell
The category of this book is alphabet books and the intended age range is elementary school.

Learning the letters of the alphabet is what the book is about.

Children can learn the alphabet and be curious at the same time.

I absolutely love the book for children and parents.

The visuals are what make the book come alive.
Cassie
What a fantastic alphabet book with nice, board book pages for the the very early readers. Great illustrations accompany die-cut letters and reveal a sense of wonder and fantasy behind every letter. Great for toddler storytimes especially if you do an "A B C" activity with a felt board and felt letters.
Elizabeth
An excellent, simple alphabet book. No plot, just "A is for apple"-type text, but excellent graphic design and use of die-cut pages. Unsure how long it will remain in good condition as a library book, but it's one that will be popular while it lasts.
Jen
Jun 19, 2014 Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
adorable, intricate illustrations to accompany the letters. I doubt how long it will last at the library where I work - I caught it before it circulated - but it's still very cute and would be worthwhile in a private collection.
Heidi
So fun! I love some of the choices used for the letters. And I liked how as each letter page turned, it blended in with the scene created. I don't know if it will last long as a library book, but I'd love it for my own kids!
Dijon Chiasson
A very well-put-together baby book. Sturdy, eye-catching, with a design that emphasizes the shapes of each letter. I don't know why everyone is peeing their pants about how great it is, however.
Karin
This alphabet books is fabulous. The design is well thought out. Each letter of the alphabet takes up four pages of the book. The first two-page spread gives the reader a cut out of the letter with "is for..." printed on it. So, F is for... Peeking from behind the cut out of the letter is the a clue as to what the letter stands for. On the next two-page spread, the reader sees what it is the letter stands for. In F's case it is fish. My favorite letters in this book are M for Moon and X for X-ra ...more
Angela
A fun alphabet book to flip through and my 20 month old son's FAVORITE book for practicing ABCs. He picked it out himself at a local bookstore and has treasured it ever since.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Cut out letters play peek-a-boo with the background that represent each letter.

Reviewed from a library copy.
June
Jan 30, 2014 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: alphabet requests
Shelves: alphabet
What fun! The letters are half cut out and have "is for..." printed on them. Through the cut out the reader can get a glimpse, before turning the page, so they can guess.
Kristi
This is the cutest alphabet book ever! Baby girl loves it and so do i!
Emily
As a graphic designer, I love this alphabet book with it's cutout letters.
Jasmine Olivia
I got this book for Aaliyah but Jasmine insisted on reading it. lol
Claire
Completely clever amusing alphabet board book!
Janet
This is my new favorite alphabet book!
April
A beautifully designed boardbook.
Katie Casey
Fun, big chunky book all about letters.
Erin
Baby loves this one (9-11 months)
Callie
May 19, 2014 Callie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Maggie loved this one.
Debbie
Adorable book. I would have rated it 3.5 if C was for Cat, instead of unhealthy cookies. The actual cut- outs of each letter are a plus
  • Hippopposites
  • Mix It Up!
  • Hooray for Hat!
  • Big Bug
  • Once Upon a Memory
Countablock Oliver The Big Red Ball: (And the Little White Kitten) Red Apple, Yellow Banana, and the Blue Cockatoo: An Alphabet Adventure One Little Brown Seed