Start by marking “Fraidyzoo” as Want to Read:

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  423 ratings  ·  113 reviews
It’s a great day to go to the zoo! As her family hustles to get out the door, Little T lags behind. She’s afraid to go back to the zoo; the only trouble is, she can’t remember why. As an ingenious solution to help her remember, her mom, dad, and sister construct homemade costumes and act out zoo animals—in alphabetical order, no less! The costumes and scenes grow increasin ...more
Published November 5th 2013 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Fraidyzoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fraidyzoo

The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew DaywaltDragons Love Tacos by Adam RubinUnicorn Thinks He's Pretty Great by Bob SheaSparky! by Jenny OffillJourney by Aaron Becker
Favorite Picture Books of 2013/2014
58th out of 168 books — 79 voters
Madeline by Ludwig BemelmansThe Mystic Princesses and the Whirlpool by P.J. LaRueI Can Cook " Cake Baking" by Marika GermanisFancy Nancy by Jane O'ConnorOlivia by Ian Falconer
Best little girl books
160th out of 338 books — 253 voters

More lists with this book...

Shit, y’all. I’m going to have to stop reading so many adorable picture books. The four and five stars are totally throwing off my average.

Although on the upside, at least initially I’ll appear like less of a mediocre-rating reviewer! YAY!

Anyway. Fraidyzoo.

You have to appreciate a family that, when they’re all prepared to head out the door for a day at the zoo, TOTALLY REARRANGE THEIR PLANS when one of the kids freaks the fuck out, and instead decide to spend the day destroying the house and br
This is the best children's book I have read in a very long time, and considering our "over 50 books a week" "the librarians know all our names" I think that is saying something.

The family in this book is the family I am trying to create. They changed their plan because the youngest got spooked, but DIDN'T just drop the subject. Nope, they spent a day trying to figure it out, using real things that congregate in homes with children. It's real. And beautifully done. Will be purchasing.
Kimberly [Come Hither Books]
Great illustrations and a clever story. Little T is afraid to go to the zoo, but she can't remember why. Her family helps her out - by making costumes to act out zoo animals and help her remember. Then, they can overcome her fears together.

The costumes are fantastically elaborate. The illustrations are great fun to explore, figuring out not only what animal they're dressed up as, but also what it's made out of and how it's held together. The whole family gets involved: mom, dad, sister, and even
Cathy Ballou Mealey
What would you do, if you were afraid of the zoo? If you weren’t sure why, then what would you do? This is an inventive, alphabetized romp through the efforts of a highly creative family trying to help the youngest member get over her fears about visiting the zoo.

Kids will giggle and roar at the clever ink and watercolor illustrations that depict a menagerie from A to Z constructed from ordinary household items. Silly Dad adorns himself with a pink tutu, pink socks, and pink sticky notes to ques
This book borders on overly TWEE. An adorable, creative family that helps their youngest member remember what she's afraid of at the zoo. Pretty sure the parents are set designers for The Lion King. Appealing to different age levels.
Diane Hall
This is such a great picture book. It tells the story of Little T, who is afraid to go back to the zoo - but she can't remember why. Her family tries to figure out which animal she may have been afraid of by dressing up like various animals. The illustrations go through the alphabet, showing rather than telling each animal. The illustrations start simply: the dad makes alligator jaws with his arms and a camel body is made with a blanket thrown over three people (the socks are shoved in between t ...more
Little T is afraid to go to the zoo, although her hyper big sister is rarin' to go. Their parents decide they aren't going until they can figure out what Little T is afraid of, so the whole family pretends to be different animals to scare Little T - which only makes her giggle. Now she really wants to go and when they get there, both she and her sister (and her sister more so) are terrified by the apparent drag queen* at the ticket booth. Cute, but a lesson to those of us who work with children ...more
Amy Musser
Unlike the rest of her family, Little T is not excited to go to the zoo. She can’t remember why, so her family begins an A-to-Z guessing game of make-believe to figure it out. After thinking about all the animals in the zoo, from alligator to zebra, camel to xantis, Little T decides she’s not afraid of the zoo at all. The energetic and understanding family in this book demonstrate the power of play and imagination as they create zoo animals from household items. With a funny twist of an ending, ...more
What if there was a kid who was afraid to go to the zoo? Mom, Dad, and sister spend the book dressing up as each animal that they might see in the zoo, referring to each animal only by the first letter in their name, trying to find out which creature scares the little girl so much. (and wait until the surprise twist at the end, it had me laughing, definitely understand her fear now!)

This would be a great book to read together with your child on your lap. That way you can both try go guess what a
Jun 09, 2014 Rebecca rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rebecca by: Erin
So much fun! I'm glad I read a review telling me it was an alphabet book, because I didn't even realize what with all the homemade costumes and twist ending. Great dramatic play tie-in.
"What if someone is afraid of going to the zoo." Though her family plans a zoo outing, Little T is afraid to go. She's just not sure what she's afraid of. So, her family acts out the different animals that might bring fear to a little girl. When they get all the way through the alphabet and still haven't found anything fearful, Little T agrees to go to the zoo. But when they get there, there's a surprise waiting!

Such an unusual picture book. The illustrations are filled with great imagination. I
This is a bit of a wacky alphabet concept, but it works. A family is planning a trip to the zoo, but the youngest child is afraid to go, even if she can't remember why. So her parents and older sister make up costumes and props and act like animals that one might encounter at the zoo -- all in alphabetical order.

Kids of a certain age will enjoy identifying all of the animals (and there is a helpful key at the end if you get stumped).

This family is delightfully messy and creative.

There is a fun
Rebecca Honeycutt
Smart and goofy and joyfully creative. A cut above the average alphabet book.
Little T is afraid to go the zoo but can't quite remember why. Her extremely creative and supportive family assures her they will not go until they discover why she is afraid. Her family creates elaborate animal costumes from A-Z in wild attempts to discover which animal she fears. Once she decides she is ready for the zoo and approaches the ticket booth, she suddenly remembers her fear. It was not an wild animal she was afraid of afterall. It was a ...

Illustrations are lively and fun and do a t
The family is ready to take a trip to the zoo but Little T will not budge. Unfortunately, she can not recall what about the zoo freaks her out. However, her family get into the spirit of things and disguise themselves in animals that would be in the zoo. After that, she finds herself fearless and ready for a trip to the zoo. So, the next day they all head out. Will Little T face her fear and conquer it or will another member of the family balk and run like the wind? Read to find out!

Intended Gra
Little T's big sister can't wait to get to the zoo to see the monkeys, but Little T isn't so keen. She's afraid of something she saw there last time, but can't remember what it was. The family try to help her remember by donning makeshift costumes of different animals from A to Z. The illustrations are really inventive and it's fun to guess what each animal is. As none of the animals scares Little T, the family decides to go to the zoo the next day. There's a nice twist when we finally see what ...more
It’s the perfect day to go to the zoo and the whole family is excited. Well, maybe not the whole family. Little T certainly is not, in fact she is frightened of the zoo. But she can’t remember what in the zoo scares her. So her family set out to find out what might be scaring her. They start out at the beginning of the alphabet and acting out the animals. It’s not alligator, bat or camel. As they go on, the costumes they use become more and more elaborate and they all help act them out with plen ...more
In watercolor and ink, Heder tells Little T's story with illustrations that readers will could enjoy long after finishing the book. As the author, Heder tells us an ABC story by showing how one family helps one of its members deal with fear. Creativity is featured here with cardboard figures that just might inspire readers' own making. Little T's parents are playful and wise as evidenced by a memorable illustration of dad sitting in a chair wearing a makeshift headpiece and reading a book.
Little T is afraid to go to the zoo but she can't remember why. Through some creative costuming and props, her family dresses up as animals (in alphabetical order) to help her remember.

Fraidyzoo is a sweet tale of overcoming your fears and the loving people who help you along the way. The illustrations are colorful and beckon the reader to guess what animal they are dressed as.

Fraidyzoo promotes vocabulary, letter knowledge, print awareness and narrative skills.
Stella Fowler
The strongest part of this book is the family. Instead of teasing, making fun, or flat out making Little T go to the Zoo when she says she's scared of it, her family tries to find out just what it is that she's afraid of. They use their imaginations and make animals from A to Z out of things they find around the house to see if Little T is afraid of them.

It's fun to figure out which animal they are making, and might even inspire readers to do the same.
Fraidyzoo is about little T. Her family thinks its the perfect day for the zoo, her sister is especially excited because there is a new monkey. But little T is afraid of going to the zoo. Her family works together to figure out what scares her. So they come up with creative ways to make several diffrent animals trying to figure out if thats why she is afraid. The ending is super cute.

Great for boys or girls who want to read about getting over fear.

Great for a 1st or 2nd grader
Little T is afraid of going to the zoo, but she can't remember what scared her. This motivates her parents and sister to create oodles of animal costumes out of household objects, trying to pinpoint what frightened Little T.

Lots of silliness abounds, and kids will likely have fun guessing what animals each family member is portraying. The loosely alphabetical list is a refreshingly vague take on an ABC list book.
Really clever alphabet book for the older reader. You have to "read" the pictures to figure out what animal the family is imitating, since the alphabet is not explicitly stated. Charlotte enjoyed guessing the animals. Loved the little twist at the end, too. Also, the illustrations reminded me of Steven Kellogg (mostly the facial expressions), who was one of my very favorites as a child.
ALA ALSC Notable 2014
Sarah Capps
When a young girl is scared to go to the zoo her family finds ever more creative ways to help her figure out what she is scared of. I love seeing the family working through a problem together, and having fun while doing it. Who wouldn't want parents like these?

The illustrations were perfect for the story, and the story itself was a good length. Long enough to create interest, but it didn't overdo the gag.
Traci Bold
I love how this family works together to figure out why their child is afraid of the zoo and does not push the issue.

'FRAIDYZOO' is an innovative and caring approach to fears. The illustrations are as fun as the writing.

I highly recommend this book to any child who wants to face their fears.

Written and illustrated by Thyra Heder, published by Abrams Books For Young Readers.
Sneaky, sneaky book, hiding in alphabet fun in an adorkable parade of animal dress up to discover why Little T might be afraid to go to the Zoo. Which of the costumes will be the animal Little T is afraid of, one that Mom picks? Dad? Her sister? The fear of the Zoo dissipates as the costumes get funnier and the time to make them gets longer.

Such a fun sharing book!
Two sisters and their parents are supposed to be going to the zoo, but one is eager to go and the other one is afraid. The family tries to figure out what is scaring her, but when she agrees there is nothing to be afraid of and they go to the zoo things aren't what you expect.

Cute story. Great illustrations. Would be fun to read with a child.
My just-turned-8 year old loved this book! I love that he identified with the main character - Little T. When I used the pronoun 'she', my long haired boy corrected me, saying Little T is a boy. We both loved the costumes, picking out which one would be perfect for Halloween. Love that the entire family is involved in supporting Little T.
Kathleen Behrendt
Little T does not want to go to the zoo with her family - she's afraid of the zoo and does not remember why. Her family works with her to remember and overcome her fear. The beautiful watercolor and ink illustrations enhance the text.

Recommend this book to children who are working on their own fears, and their families and teachers.
I loved this book, a personal choice from the library. The entire family constructs animal costumes out of household objects in an attempt to figure out what Little T is afraid of at the zoo. The punchline is hilarious and the illustrations are wonderful. Plus, the main character is Little T, like a little Lonesome girl I know :)
  • Xander's Panda Party
  • Sophie's Squash
  • Forever
  • Count the Monkeys
  • My Blue Is Happy
The Bear Report Penny & Jelly: The School Show Penny & Jelly: Slumber Under the Stars