Start by marking “Fraidyzoo” as Want to Read:
Fraidyzoo

Fraidyzoo

It’s a great day to go to the zoo! As her family hustles to get out the door, Little T lags behind. She’s afraid to go back to the zoo; the only trouble is, she can’t remember why. As an ingenious solution to help her remember, her mom, dad, and sister construct homemade costumes and act out zoo animals—in alphabetical order, no less! The costumes and scenes grow increasin ...more
Published November 5th 2013 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Fraidyzoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fraidyzoo

Abigail
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young Animal Lovers / Would-Be Zoo Visitors / Readers Looking for Creative Alphabet Books
When Little T declares that she is frightened of going to the zoo, her helpful family sets out to determine exactly what scared her on her last visit, impersonating an A-Z cast of animal characters in order to find out. Their creative interpretation and play - masquerading as this animal and that, donning intricate, handmade costumes - eats up the entire day, so that by the time she is ready, the outing must be put off. When the family finally do get to the zoo, they discover just who the scary ...more
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more Picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

A girl is afraid to go back to the zoo so her sister and parent act out different animals that could possibly be the culprit. When none of them are scary they decide to go to the zoo the next day.

The illustrations are so beautiful in this book. From the close up of the scared girl's face to the intricate rhino costume the family makes and wears. They truly are works of art and they capture the love this family has for each other an
Alisha
This is the best children's book I have read in a very long time, and considering our "over 50 books a week" "the librarians know all our names" I think that is saying something.

The family in this book is the family I am trying to create. They changed their plan because the youngest got spooked, but DIDN'T just drop the subject. Nope, they spent a day trying to figure it out, using real things that congregate in homes with children. It's real. And beautifully done. Will be purchasing.
Crystal
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

The pictures were very colorful and detailed. My daughter loved calling off the animals and would laugh at how silly they were being In the story to prove no one was scared of the zoo. Awesome read for kids.
Kimberly [Come Hither Books]
Great illustrations and a clever story. Little T is afraid to go to the zoo, but she can't remember why. Her family helps her out - by making costumes to act out zoo animals and help her remember. Then, they can overcome her fears together.

The costumes are fantastically elaborate. The illustrations are great fun to explore, figuring out not only what animal they're dressed up as, but also what it's made out of and how it's held together. The whole family gets involved: mom, dad, sister, and even
Stella Fowler
Mar 20, 2014 rated it liked it
The strongest part of this book is the family. Instead of teasing, making fun, or flat out making Little T go to the Zoo when she says she's scared of it, her family tries to find out just what it is that she's afraid of. They use their imaginations and make animals from A to Z out of things they find around the house to see if Little T is afraid of them.

It's fun to figure out which animal they are making, and might even inspire readers to do the same.
Luann
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So fun! The illustrations bring this story up to another level entirely. Make sure you spend some time looking at them all - including the illustrations on the endpages. The clues are there for the sharp-eyed reader who pays attention to detail.
Rebecca Honeycutt
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Smart and goofy and joyfully creative. A cut above the average alphabet book.
Rebecca
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rebecca by: Erin
So much fun! I'm glad I read a review telling me it was an alphabet book, because I didn't even realize what with all the homemade costumes and twist ending. Great dramatic play tie-in.
Jo Oehrlein
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a semi-hidden alphabet book. When Little T is scared to go to the zoo, her parents and big sister step through the alphabet using homemade costumes to figure out which animal might be the problem. Many of the built animals are AMAZING. It apparently takes all day to do everything (honestly, building that many costumes would probably take much longer).

This doesn't have the normal alphabet book format with the letter and word on each page. Sometimes there are multiple animals per page. Som
Erin Buhr
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is all of the things. It is funny. It is bursting with creativity. It is suspenseful and surprising. This is the story of a family who is planning to go to the zoo, except one of the kids is afraid of something....only they don't remember what. No worries, this creative family does everything it can to figure out the mystery. Charming, witty, fun. You will want to join this family while you try to guess not only what each picture holds but the answer to the ultimate mystery. Thyra Hede ...more
Lydia
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A little girl thinks she may be afraid to go to the zoo, so her family tries to help her figure out why and what animal she might be afraid of.

First off, this family is super-imaginative and creative, but they have way too much time on their hands (or cardboard boxes... maybe both). Fun to guess which animal they are thinking of, and then a surprise twist at the end when they do make it to the zoo keeps the story interesting. Though the illustrations also help as they suit the story perfectly.

Iris Cardozo
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: free-choice-5
This book is about a little girl named little T, her family wants to go to the zoo but she is afraid of going. Little T can't remember why she is so scared to go back to the zoo, so her family decides to act out animals in alphabetical order to figure out what animal she is afraid of. At the end of the story little T decides to go to the zoo. They walk up to pay for their tickets, then the zoo employee ask for tickets with long red nails, and little T starts yelling at the moment they figure out ...more
Melanie
One sister is super excited to go to the zoo and it's the perfect day. But the other sister is not so sure. She is afraid of something but she can't quite remember what. Her family helps her try to remember by dressing as an animal that starts with each letter of the alphabet. This results in hilarity. In the end little sister isn't afraid of anything. Someone else in the family has a zoo-related fear.

Fantastically funny and the kids will love guessing what each animal is.
Jessie
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: engineering, art
I love the way the whole family supports Little T. They want to go to the zoo, but they also only want to go if she's comfortable with it.

The homemade costumes depicted here are amazing. They vary in detail and realism, but they're the real delight of the book.

(view spoiler)
Judy
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: andy, 2017
My 4.5 year old and I loved it. Brilliantly illustrated. Very clever way of depicting the animals and my daughter had a good time guessing as well as learning about the animals that she did not know. She also thought the ending was absolutely hilarious and I loved how the end pictures were so well done that accompanying explanation was not needed. Would read again!
Sheri
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Little T's family is helping her overcome her fear of going to the zoo. They are playing creative dress up games to try and figure out what she is afraid of at the zoo. Cute twist ending and very interesting family with costumes. Cute read aloud and fun ending to read and re-read to the picture book audience.
Ammar
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An interesting story!

My son loved this story. It was quite fun guessing the animals ordered alphabetically from the provided sketches. He went through again and again memorizing the ones he couldn't guess at first shot.
Angelique Loeffler
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classroom-to-be
a great book that addresses fear. It shows how to question it, feel it, and confront it. Great imagery of homemade costumes of animals of every alphabet letter. Ending has a plot twist. The inside of the book covers provide a forshadowing of the story to come and an epilogue.
Val
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this the first time I read it, and when I got to the end I thought about it and went back through - there's nothing in this story that genders the main character, Little T! The descriptions do, but none of the family members do! :)
Kelly
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
LOVED it! Little T is really afraid of going to the zoo. So her family spends the day trying to get to the bottom of the issue, with fun and silly results.

Taryn
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storybook, children-s
We all love this book! Fun illustrations of a family helping each other through fears with humor and creativity. Love love love!
Robin
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love the family in this alphabet book and all the improvised animal costumes. Fun ending, too. Highly recommended for ages 4-6.
Ashley Shankland
Quirky little story

My animal mad son loved this story. Asked for It again as soon as we had finished. Quirky little story.
Kelley Mitchell
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Would be great to do with some charades, or as a jumping off point for animal research.
Lingsze Wong
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Love the creative artwork
Sara Parry
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved the illustrations. Laugh out loud funny.
Peter
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Charming, cleverly illustrated, funny surprise ending.
Amy Vana
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crf
FraidyZoo by Thyra Heder received the 2014 Texas Reading Award and is a Notable children’s book from ALSC in 2014. This text came highly recommended by the school librarian.

The charming text is about a family planning a trip to the zoo but little T is reluctant to go. Little T cannot remember what from the families last visit to the zoo scared her. To help ease the stress and uncover the terrifying animal her the family uses household items to creatively recreate potentially scary animals from t
Tasha
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
It’s the perfect day to go to the zoo and the whole family is excited. Well, maybe not the whole family. Little T certainly is not, in fact she is frightened of the zoo. But she can’t remember what in the zoo scares her. So her family set out to find out what might be scaring her. They start out at the beginning of the alphabet and acting out the animals. It’s not alligator, bat or camel. As they go on, the costumes they use become more and more elaborate and they all help act them out with plen ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »