Start by marking “Rocket's Mighty Words” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Rocket's Mighty Words

Tad Hills

Rocket's Mighty Words (Rocket and the Little Yellow Bird)

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  155 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Rocket, the beloved dog from the New York Times bestselling picture books How Rocket Learned to Read and Rocket Writes a Story, is back in a sturdy big board book for new readers. Preschoolers watch the little yellow bird teach Rocket simple words, like n-e-s-t and m-u-d. And beginning readers will love practicing their new literacy skills alongside another brand-new reade ...more
Published July 9th 2013 by Schwartz & Wade

To ask other readers questions about Rocket's Mighty Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rocket's Mighty Words

Angie
Apr 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture
(early e-ARC preview from Edelweiss)

We LOVE Rocket at our school ... both of the first two.
This one continues the tradition of super cute illustrations.

I was a little disappointed as I looked over the preview but that is probably because I didn't read the description closely before I requested it. I just saw ROCKET and I thought "Oh, I definitely need to see this!"

I like the board book format. If it's meant to be a "reference" book so that little ones flip back and forth figuring out how to sp
Fritz Loehrke
Weird selection of words, and strange presentation with alternate pages showing a blackboard, vs. the cute dog pages.
11WholockLover221B- what's your damage?
Rocket is adorable and I want him. I read this to my little sister.
Russell
To know something's true name is to have power over it, mystics have long believed. Ancient beings held their true names secret, fearfully protecting themselves from terrible fates.

Naming something drags it from the realm of the unknown to the known. You're then easily able to break it down, pigeonhole it, tame it, and harness it for your own ends.

In this tome, Rocket shares all of his words of power. Learn mastery over the igloo, ax, mug, and pumpkin.
Tracey
Feb 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
If you like Rocket's other books you'll enjoy this one, however, it's important to note that there isn't a story in this book. It's simply a collection of words that have appeared in Rocket's other stories. All of the words are either on top of the illustrations they name, or next to the pictures would could make learning new words easier for early readers who are visual learners.
Erica
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 544
Fiction-2013
Part 1 or 3. This book introduces the kids to new words and pictures that will be used in the next two books. The pictures are good and these books would be great to use with beginner readers and writers.
Heather Jo
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meggie-list
Lindsey Jones
Perfect little book for my two year old!
Marcia Van Camp
Bunch words...would have preferred a story
Kelli
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Join Rocket, an adorable puppy who loves to read, and learn 100 first words. The pictures are easy to identify and the font easily legible. Perfect for brand new readers or younger ESL students.
Jeimy
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some pages have too many images for younger kids.
Beth
Learn many words together and also some "small" words that are needed.
Deeanna
Cute book!! All of my kids got a free book from the library summer reading program, this was one of them!!! So thankful, gotta love the library!
Stefanie Kellum
A Rocket that even the youngest of readers can enjoy! Teach your preschooler basic words with Rocket! I love this series. (I saw an ARC of this book through Edelweiss.)
Vicki
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: board
Whoo-hoo - twice in one day an oversize board book!! In the traditional style of Tad Hills this book has nice soft colorful illustrations. Children learning words can browse this cute book.
Jacqueline
The format of this one didn't really work that well for me but this would be nice for a new reader to flip through at their own pace.
Elizabeth
Love the pictures of Rocket, but this is just vocabulary words and not a story. Some of the chalkboard illustrations are indistinct.
joann emond
  • When Charley Met Grampa
  • Thumpy Feet
  • Wait! Wait!
  • Xander's Panda Party
  • Little Green Peas: A Big Book of Colors (with audio recording)
  • The Three Little Pigs and the Somewhat Bad Wolf
  • Snippet the Early Riser
“Whenever I picture myself [as a child],” says Tad Hills, “I am doing art. I spent a lot of time on my own making things, drawing, and painting.” Hills was not consciously trying to become an artist, rather his motives were innocent and pure. “I liked making things,” he says.

As a graduate of Skidmore College in New York with a degree in art, Hills describes himself as the ultimate freelancer. He’s
More about Tad Hills...

Rocket and the Little Yellow Bird (3 books)
  • How Rocket Learned to Read