Start by marking “Full Count: Four Decades of Blue Jays Baseball” as Want to Read:
Full Count: Four Decades of Blue Jays Baseball

Full Count: Four Decades of Blue Jays Baseball

From one of Canada's top baseball writers and radio hosts: a retrospective of the Toronto Blue Jays on the 20th anniversary of Joe Carter's World Series-winning home run--and a look ahead to what promises to be their most successful season since. A must-have for all Blue Jays fans, and a great read for Toronto and Canadian sports fans in general.

In Full Count, Jeff Blair
Published April 2nd 2013 by Random House Canada (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Full Count, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Full Count

Start your review of Full Count: Four Decades of Blue Jays Baseball
Ron
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
Blair is a decent enough sportswriter, but this hodgepodge does the history of the Toronto Blue Jays a disservice. Written in a breezy colloquial style, too much is assumed to make this of any interest to an outside reader (one not familiar with Blue Jays history). This book seems to be merely a collection of extended newspaper columns. Blair's unfortunate catering to "advanced statistics" mars this book as well. If he wanted to narrow the book's range to those who know (or care) what WHIP, BABI ...more
Brandon Forsyth
May 19, 2013 rated it liked it
The subtitle of this book is very misleading - there are token nods to the '70s and '80s, but the real focus here is on Rogers' purchase of the team and its subsequent struggles to field a winning team. That material is actually well-researched and fascinating, but the first few chapters feel like your uncles sitting around and reminiscing about how cool Exhibition Stadium was. It's also a massive 2013 season/Brett Lawrie hype man, which perhaps explains Blair's access.
Michael
Jun 22, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book doesn't even begin to live up to its title. First off, almost a third of the book is solely dedicated to the Blue Jays beyond 2010. There is, of course, talk of the 1992 and 1993 teams. But there's barely a mention of the 70s and 80s. So it's hardly "Four Decades of Blue Jays Baseball."

Further, the author spends a lot of time toward the end of the book talking about Canadian baseball in general. While it is something that should be discussed, if you're going to bill your book as/>

Matthew Elmslie
May 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: baseball, nonfiction
A history of the Jays since their World Series win in 1993 is a fine idea. Maybe Blair should have written one instead of just pretending that he did.
Jay Tulk
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baseball
Blair could have easily just written a column for the local paper and it easily would have covered all the points of this book. As a baseball and Blue Jays fan it's still nice to pick up a book on the team so I'll give him points for that.

If your looking for a quick weekend read that won't rack your brain it's worth checking out of the library.
Bryce  Taylor
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I listen to Jeff every day. I think if he could have the opp different he’d take more than a bar and bro hangout retelling of 40 years but a serious historical and mix of pub brand story telling

I liked it a lot. This isn’t a bashing it’s positive criticism.
Karlene
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
As an avid admirer of baseball, but non-Blue Jays fan from Canada, this book offered a great insight into the team. I grew up near Toronto, loving the Blue Jays, and have nothing but warm nostalgic feelings about the team circa 1992-1993 back-to-back World Championships. Like a lot of people, the 1994 strike killed my interest in baseball, but it was rekindled in 2004, but in the form of a love for the Boston Red Sox (pre-86 year drought-breaking championship).

So living a few hours from Toronto
Shawna Sparrow
Blue Jay fans (like me) will find this book worth reading because it gives the inside scoop on many important moments in the franchise's history. The strength of the book is Jeff Blair's access to key players in the Blue Jays organization. The book features many juicy quotes and anecdotes I'd never heard before. The curious thing about the book is its negativity. I would assume that the book is being marketed to Blue Jays fans. You'd probably have to like the team to read an entire book about th ...more
Rob
Mar 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
Jeff Blair has an a unique way of writing about baseball. As a die hard Expos fan, I take the pot shots he levels at Nos Amours to be a little insulting. The book is interesting for what it is, a carefully word, so as not to offend, report on the mighty Jays fall from grace. What I learned from the book is that the Jays didn't care about their Canadian cousins and strove to put them out of business. I also learned that Jays management is a bunch of baffoons and that their ownership group could c ...more
Neil Gaudet
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a bit nervous this book would be a repetitive rehash of 1992 & 1993 with the majority of the remainder talking about the wonderful 1980's teams. It's not like I don't love those times as every Blue Jays fan does, but I think it's time we had some literary synopsis of the dead zone we've been moving though for the last 20 years. That I find interesting. And refreshingly this book doesn't shy away from the post 1993 era. It was my favourite part of the book. Remembering all the ups and m ...more
Alex
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Blair chronicles the Blue Jays' history quite well in terms of inside information and insight into the state of the team between their World Series wins and the present. The problems with the book were two-fold. First, I was under the impression (given the title) that this would be a history of the Blue Jays. Instead Blair brushes over the first 10 years, focuses a lot on the World Series, the brushes over the late 90s. In that respect it isn't much of a Full (a)Count of the Blue Jays' history. ...more
Jwonnacott
Aug 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: sports
This book has "Four Decades of Blue Jays Baseball" in the title, but it really focuses more on recent years opposed to the first two decades of Blue Jays baseball.

I felt like the book had a poor flow and seemed somewhat disorganized in its structure. It also seemed to focus more on the front office turnover/turmoil over the years more than the players or the actual team.

I felt that this book focused on aspect of the Blue Jays that did not seem all that interesting to me (despite hav
Dan Lalande
Sep 10, 2013 rated it liked it
A common knowledge review of the post-World Series Blue Jays, attributing their two decade mediocrity to hit-and-miss managers, nice-try GMs, and no-clue ownership. As an insider, the likeable, hard-digging Blair tries his best; he's obviously well-connected but the "true confessions" he collects barely have enough juice to power a spitball. The public story, therefore, is essentially what you get.
Caroline
Sep 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Very much enjoyed this, though I had some trouble following at times. The "story" is told in a somewhat non-linear fashion with the author going off to talk about recent events in the middle of a paragraph about something which happened in the 90's for instance, and at times I wasn't sure anymore when in time things discussed where happening... Otherwise, a good read, even for someone who knew very little about the team beforehand and to whom a lot of names were completely unknown.
Craig
Jun 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Too recent to be a historical record, too old to feel like up-to-date analysis, I really picked the wrong time to buy this.

As for the text itself, it's fine, although for the non-officianado it suffers from relentlessly throwing out names, abbreviations and events in asides that often require a bit more context.
Andrew
Jun 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent book with a lot of great research and interesting stories about the team, though nothing seemed to be particularly new or shocking if you follow the team. The book seemed to also focus more with the post World Series teams than the whole four decades that it claims to. Would recommend the book to the casual fans as the hardcore fans may have heard this all before.
Matthew
Jul 04, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm a fan of Jeff Blair but felt misled with the subtitle "Four Decades of Blue Jays Baseball." Blair covers the world series years of 92 and 93 onward, leaving out 15 years of Blue Jays history. I was looking for something that covered the early years of the franchise and was disappointed. What is covered in the book is an adequate summary of the past 20 years or so.
Steve
Jun 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a very interesting history of the Toronto baseball team. It especially focuses on the time from the 1992-3 championship teams to the 2012-3 off-season acquisitions. The owners and front office moves are well-covered, good and bad. A great read!
Larry Fleisher
Mar 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting enough with behind the scenes glances at how things unfolded since 1993 when the Blue Jays won their last championship. Title is slightly misleading as the early history of the franchise gets a quick once over before delving into the current stuff, but overall it's a decent read.
Russ Skinner
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports
I started reading this on the subway on my way to opening day. In the week and a half since, this book has a better record than the team.

Here’s hoping the Jays' season is as accomplished as this quite fine book.
Beta Test
May 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Just average. Provides some insights into the front office aspects that may not be familiar to the casual fan but adds almost nothing to the on field history unless you knew absolutely nothing about the Blue Jays before reading this.
Aaron Badgley
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Extremely well written, well researched account of the jays. As a fan it was a pleasure to read about the team, its history and where they are today.
I would love it if Mr. Blair did an update in a couple of years.
Excellent read!
Bob Blaschuk
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good for Blue Jays fans like myself, gets into a lot of good stories and specifics of the clubhouse and management through the years of the Jays.
Phil
Dec 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Meh - the odd interesting tidbit, but otherwise mostly stuff I already knew, and that I think is common knowledge to most Jays fans.
Kevin Arkell
Jul 07, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is full of detail Blue Jays fans already know. Very little insight or new detail.
Steven Spoelstra
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Finally a book on the Blue Jays. Blair recounts the last 20 years of Blue Jays ball with lots of insider scoop. A great read.
Jonathan
Jul 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Relentlessly, unapologetically rah, rah, rah. What fan wants resignation, equanimity, and objective distance?
Matt Simpson
Meh. Not much here I didn't already know. Not very compelling.
Bright75
rated it it was ok
Jul 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Razor Girl (Andrew Yancy, #2)
  • Astroball: The New Way to Win It All