Start by marking “Alien Secrets” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176

Annette Curtis Klause

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  635 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Puck, expelled from yet another boarding school, is on her way back to her parents, who are doing alien research on Shoon. She's worried because she hasn't seen them in years and now she's in trouble.
On board "The Cat's Cradle, " Puck befriends Hush, a native Shoowa, who is also returning to his home in shame. He was entrusted with a symbol of freedom for his people, and n
Published (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Alien Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alien Secrets

Mary JL
This is a pleasant easy read of only 217 pages. It was written for a teen audience (the heroine, Puck, is 13) but an adult reader of SF could enjoy it.

The relationship between the alien "Hush" and Puck is a high point of this book. Lots of other very interesting characters. I would recommend this to any reader over age 10.

I do want to make a point. I am 67 so I review in a way for ME. I often pick YA novels when available to see what the kids are reading. So why only three stars? Well, as an adu
Cheryl
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this with an older cover, one which lowered my expectations and feelings about the story. Juvenile SF that is authentic, not parody or fantasy, is far too rare, so in that sense this is a treasure. But it's actually only a so-so book, unfortunately. And it's mostly a mystery, and I don't like mysteries, so, gosh, I honestly don't know whether I can recommend it or not, or whether or not I want to read more by the author. We'll see.

Was William Sleator unique?
Jerri
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story with surprises and characters you aren't too sure about. The tech was integral to the plot and nicely done. Puck and Hush invoke sympathy but you don't get bogged down with how sorry they are for themselves. They are doers and not stupid about it like so many characters in YA. I would recommend this novel.
Natalia
Knowing what the future would look like would probably be surprising to us all, but to go into the future with aliens would be freaky and I suppose, unnatural. Annette Curtis Klause in her book Alien Secrets takes us on a journey in the future with Puck who just got kicked out of boarding school on Earth and is being send to her parents. This science fiction story is told in third person. The setting is taking place in the space on the spaceship. Traveling back to her planet Puck becomes friends ...more
Jo
So this was probably one of my first sci-fi books, which is perhaps why I still like it. I was ready to be too old for it and add it to the sale box, but find that maybe I still like it enough to keep. I blame this on having read and enjoyed it as a kid. We always like things better when we enjoyed them as children first.

One thing that frustrates me, though, is that I never had a moment like Puck, where I realized that Job X was the coolest job ever and that's what I want to be when I grow up, n
Shin Machine
Sep 07, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boring-books
i bought this book last March and have stopped reading it after a few chapters...
i don't know. i found it dull and unexciting.
M—
Mar 05, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I must have tried starting this four or five times, and I never got beyond Chapter Two. I couldn't invest in the shallow protagonist characters. Any effort I spent on exploring the world was stillborn by the silly alien names. I might possibly have enjoyed it if I'd found it when I was twelve, but as an adult this book was practically unreadable. There was nothing to hook me, nothing to care about. Klause, in other books, has used to great effect creatures like vampires or werewolves to embellis ...more
Joeyk
Nov 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever thought about aliens? How about riding on a space ship through hyperspace? Well probably not, but if you have then you should read the book Alien Secrets by Annette Curtis Klause. It is a good book.
It all started out with a girl named Puck who was traveling to the planet Aurora to see her parents. She is feeling discomfort the whole ride because she thinks an alien is sabotaging the ship. Nobody knows what is going on, but Puck is determined to find out. From mysterious figures in
Alec Joseph
by: Annette Curtis Kluase

Let me start off by saying I didnt really like this book. I thought it was awfully childish. Puck has been expelled from boarding school on Earth, so she's being sent back to her parents on planet Aurora. He's on the same space liner as a Shoowa alien named Hush. Since Puck is the only other teenager on the ship. He was bringing home the Soo, a sacred artifact that symbolizes freedom. The first night on the ship it was stolen from his room. He feels like he
Tyler
Jun 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

My first two experiences with Annette's books were Silver Kiss and Blood and Chocolate, which I loved dearly, but this one, not so much. I enjoyed the idea of the story, but there were parts were I was confused, and I felt that something had been left out on accident. Near the end, there was a part where a character seemed to appear out of thin air, and I reread the page a couple of times, but there was no mention of the persons entrance when they were suppose to be in another room. Not a big de
Carolyn Jeannette
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: old-favorites
This book was one of my very first brushes with science fiction. I discovered it when I was in middle school and I asked the librarian to point me to something new. I found myself sucked in almost immediately by the choice of the name Puck for the main character, based on the character from William Shakespeare's Midsummer's night dream.

The story itself has equal parts mystery, adventure, and silly pranks that delighted me as a young girl. Especially since the protagonist was a young girl, who w
Elsi
This was a fun and quick read. (Started it yesterday and finished this morning.) The protagonist is Puck, a thirteen-year-old girl who has been expelled from her boarding school on Earth and must travel to the planet Aurora where her parents -- the Goodfellows -- are working as xenobiologists. Aboard the tramp freighter she is traveling on, Puck meets Hush, a young Shoowa (natives of Aurora which they call Shoon), who has been traveling to his home planet bearing a treasured artifact. Unfortunat ...more
Joseph
Jan 06, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book quite a long time ago for a school book report. I did not like this book. At all.

Let me just say, the whole story is just really boring and unexciting. This wasn't entertaining at all. I would have put this book down after reading the first chapter, but I had to go through the whole damn thing because I had to read this trash for school. That was just pure torture for me.

I would not recommend this book to anyone, except my worst enemy. Do not read this book! I'm warning you!
Samary Morales
Alien Secrets is a thrilling science fiction adventure book for kids. The book is about a Puck, a teenaged girl, who takes a haunted spaceship to Aurora. Onboard Hush, a double-jointed alien with a conehead, loses his prize possesion, the Soo. The Soo is a shimmering crystal-like object. Puck and Hush, who are now friends, have some very strange encounters, including coming across one of Hush's enimies, on their journy to find the Soo. The Grakk, Hush's enemy, threatened to kill anyone who tried ...more
Caitlin
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I went back and read this I'd probably find it predictable and cheesy, but as a kid it captivated me. Best of all was Puck, the main character, who found friendship with an alien who wasn't just pointy ears or green skin but REALLY different, and she didn't let the prejudices of adults stop her from making her own judgments. Any story with a strong, young hero is great to see. Kids need to see other kids taking action and being a force for change.
Snow Wolf
Feb 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun and gripping book, even though it was written for kids. I definitely got caught up in the characters, and kept wishing I could render to paper the images I saw in the descriptive environments. I especially liked the interactions between Puck (the main character) and Hush (the alien she befriends). The cats that inhabit the ship (which will be explained shortly into the book) are amusing secondary characters too.
Gen
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in 8th grade and I think it's perhaps the first time I'd ever read a science fiction novel (I've watched it on tv and in movies, don't kid yourself). I really loved the character Puck. She's funny and the story really interested me. There's even ghosts tossed into this sci-fi book. Puck was a great character in the series and I loved this read. It was simply a good read to my 13 year old self!
Sarah Tilatitsky
Dec 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is great, really. It got me on my nerves, and although I wasn't hanging on every single word, I was thrilled by the motion picture in my mind. Puck going though the vents, climbing in space, it's kinda cool, and although space travel might be possible one day, well, it's not here yet, so, I really wish that I can go on an adventure like what Puck did. Ending was pretty nice, though.
Jill
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
This was another reread. I have liked each book this author has written and this one, which targets a younger audience than her earlier two, is no exception. The characters are great, the mystery has terrific suspense, and the plot is a page turner, even on a reread. I would love a sequel! Hush is someone I'd like to meet in real life and both he and Puck have a great future ahead.
Katie Roseveare
Nice adventure for young ladies. Fun to have in the library. Great introduction to science fiction. Could d an activity on perspective - retell a part from the alien's perspective, or the parents' perspective.
Bee
Sep 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Bee by: Library pick
I have probably read this book 6 or 7 times. Its short and fast-paced and well put together. I first read it when I was about 10 and still pick it up every once in a while on a rainy day. It has just the right balance of aliens, futuristic technology and intergalactic war.
Brandon Johnson
I remember almost nothing about this book, except that I read it in elementary school and it may have been my first sci-fi novel. I vaguely recall that I found the name "Puck" unusual.

Rating N\A, because my memory's good, but not THAT good.
Emerian Rich
Jan 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Annette is an excellent writer. I've read all over her books except this one. I'm not much of a SciFi fan, but so far... she can get me into anything. Heck-- I read a book about circus freaks she wrote and I hate books about the circus!
Liana Brooks
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: midgarde-sf
I loved this book as a child. Strong female lead (a child obviously), a ship steered by the smell of birthday cake, Shakespeare references, and it is all essentially a story of friendship and helping a stranger in need.
Becca Gibbs
Jul 20, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasty
Although I love her vampire and werewolf books, I didn't care for this one. It was a major disappointment. I know her books are fantasy, however, there was too much unrealistic ideas and not enough character development.
Maya
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I loved the dynamic between Puck and Hush.
Lani Ayers
Someone told me that this was the best book out of her 3 books but I was not all that impressed. I still think that blood and chocolate is my fav.
Noah
This book is very interesting. It is about scientists who go out in the ocean to find a giant squid. But, they run in to trouble. Another rival scientist goes and tries to ruin everything.
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
Oddly enough this is my favorite from Klause.
Cws
JAR6-Kla
  • Of Two Minds (Minds, #1)
  • Being of Two Minds
  • The White Fox Chronicles
  • Tom Swift and His Flying Lab  (Tom Swift Jr, #1)
  • Gem X
  • Children of Morrow
  • Earthseed (Seed #1)
  • The Doom Machine
  • The Conjurer Princess
  • Space Race
  • Spiegelkind (Spiegelkind, #1)
  • Commander Toad and the Planet of the Grapes (Commander Toad)
  • Worf's First Adventure  (Star Trek: The Next Generation - Starfleet Academy #1)
  • Water Tales: Aquamarine and Indigo
  • Stonewords: A Ghost Story
  • Moon-Flash (Kyreol, #1)
  • Switching Well
  • Whales on Stilts (Pals in Peril, #1)
Annette Curtis Klause broke new ground in young adult literature with The Silver Kiss, a book that is at once "sexy, scaring, and moving," according to Roger Sutton writing in the Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books. A vampire love story, Klause's first novel is a darkly seductive thriller with heart and message.

Born in Bristol, England, in 1953, Klause became fascinated with grisly thing
More about Annette Curtis Klause...