Start by marking “Chosen (Fighting Fate, #1)” as Want to Read:
Chosen (Fighting Fate, #1)

Chosen

(Fighting Fate #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  33 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Nothing can stand in the way of outspoken, rule-breaker-extraordinaire, Kaddy Richston…except destiny. Born with wildly colored hair and piercing gray eyes Kaddy knew she was different, but she set her sights on her ambitious dreams of being in a rock band and leaving her small town behind along with the painful memories of her past.

But destiny has other plans for her.

Whe
Published October 31st 2013 (first published October 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Chosen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chosen

really liked it 4.00  ·

A Book Vacation
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
To see my full review:

This is a story about destiny. And Kaddy Richston, our heroine, quickly stole my heart with her outspoken demeanor and kick-butt drumming skills. She’s a great female lead: strong, intriguing, and special in a way she doesn’t even realize; if you enjoy Nephilum and/or demigod stories, then you definitely want to pick up this novel.

The changes that Kaddy undergoes throughout this novel are extremely interesting, and I love how Cole and
Alex (Briennai)
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I first started this book, I saw Mike and Kaddy together. I knew that Cole was going to be coming up later in the story, so I was stelling myself for one of those super-cringy love triangles between the childhood best friend and the mysterious new guy in town. Eventually, I figured out that there would be no love triangle, and this made me happy. Nevertheless, this is not the only book in this series, so I am not sure of what will happen in future installments. Just know that for now, there ...more
Brigitte
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This is yet another rendition of the paranormal world where supernatural beings walk amongst humans undetected. Some are good and others are downright evil.

Kaddy lives in a small town which she intends to leave behind to fulfill her dream and getting away from her childhood's atrocious memories. Being the drummer of a band gives her the chance to do just that.

Cole is a stranger to this new town and since his chance encounter with Kaddy, he is driven to get to the bottom of who she really is. The
Indie Wish List
Jun 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs-2018
A YA paranormal that takes an old concept and adds a new twist to it.

First, I did get bored at some points. Nothing really happened until after the 50% mark, and that was a long first half of the book. The main character, Kaddy, just had a lot of band practices and weird fevers. With a paranormal, you expect more action and more pieces of the puzzle for the hero or heroine to figure out by the 50% mark. We don’t really get that. I was intrigued, but not as much as I normally would be with a para
Jessica
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
With a strong, passionate protagonist, CHOSEN opens an intriguing new paranormal series. Kaddy, whose life has never been easy, finally feels things falling into place..and then she meets Cole. A guy who seems to hate her on sight, and yet every time she's in trouble, she finds Cole there to save the day. When he hints that she has a destiny to fulfill, Kaddy let's him know in no uncertain terms that she will be defining her own destiny.

This new series stars a strong, but broken protagonist with
Stephanie - Adventures Thru Wonderland
*I received an e copy from the author for review. This does not affect my review.*

I loved Kaddy's no nonsense/kick butt attitude, and loved that she was very capable of choosing her own destiny. I enjoyed this and loved the characters! The plot was a typical good vs. evil, but Kaddy adds an extra kick! I also loved that they put a twist where Kaddy's more devil-may-care, and Cole's more likely to always follow the rules, which he has good reason to, but you'll have to read to find out why! ;D
Jo
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is, for the most part, a well executed book.  My one quibble is that the frustrating push and pull between Kaddy and Cole seemed to me to be a little drawn out.

However, once that was out of the way, the book quickly hit its stride and delivered with a decent plot, character interaction and drama.

I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book.
Melanie
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ry-2013, read-in-2014
4*s
review posted here...
Chosen is a good read featuring Kaddy Richston, a girl considered a freak because of her striking red hair and silver eyes, so much of a freak that everyone she has ever loved has rejected & left her, except her band – Mike, Josh & Owen – and together they are just doing time until their funds are high enough to get their butts outta the small town that has stifled them since birth. That is until Cole Huntington enters the
Teri Beth
Sep 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
Reviewed at Lives and Breathes Book Blog

3.5 Stars!

Sometimes you read a book and you love the story. It’s something that could be absolutely amazing. The story, the characters; it all has this potential to blow your socks off, but due to the execution your socks stayed on. That was Chosen for me. I LOVE Kaddy, I LOVE Cole, I LOVE Mike and the guys, I LOVE what takes place. There were just details here and there that I felt were missing. Or questions that I thought should have been asked that were
Kristen
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Chosen is the first book I have read by Paulina Ulrich. Starting out I had few expectations and new little about the book other than the lead was in a band and the blurb hinted at a paranormal aspect. I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly I was sucked into the story she weaved and finished this story in less than 24hrs. Paulina’s writing style is smooth and the story flowed very easily.

Kaddy (pernounced like Caddy) has a had a rough life. She lives with her best friend Mike and his mother,
Rebekah
Oct 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Original Review can be found at:
www.beawesomebeabooknut.blogspot.com

I received this book from the author for a review. I originally gave this book 4 stars but now that I've had time to rethink and sit back and look at the book I think it's more of a 3 star book. Don't get me wrong this was a fun book! For those who liked The Violet Eden books by Jessica Shirvington will like this book too. Girls with a destiny, Angels, strong female characters, romance, action, and all that will like this book.
Nayab
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I’ve been wanting to read a Paulina Ulrich book for a while now and I had one all ready but then I was asked if I wanted to review Chosen & of course I accepted ;).

This being my first Paulina Ulrich read I didn’t really have any expectations going in. As it was when I started reading I immediately fell in love with Kaddy & Mike (Oh Mike… Everybody needs a friend like you) and their little hometown.

I found myself really enjoying the storyline… Granted Nephilim/Angel storylines are startin
Literary  Chanteuse
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-adult
Kaddy is the type of character that with every page turned, she becomes more interesting. A troubled past, a strong will and a huge amount of determination comes across very quickly. The author pays attention to detail in spades. There's a comfortable progression in many of the relationships between characters that did not feel abrupt or lacking in any way. Mike is the type of character that any girl would love to have as a best friend and is certainly worth the Utopya Con 2014 Best Secondary Ch ...more
Sparkles
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you've never read one of Paulina Ulrich's novels, you are definitely missing out! I first fell in love with her Flightless Bird series (and I can't wait for the fourth book -- if you haven't read her first series, do yourself a favor!) I've found myself instantly sucked into her stories and loving her characters, to the point of losing sleep from reading into the wee hours. Long story short, I couldn't wait to read Chosen.

Once again, I was sucked in! I love Kaddy's strong personality, wanted
Marita
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marita by: MariAnna Lane
Shelves: fantasy, ya-c
The author has become my daughters friend in college. Naturally I just had to read her book, and was happily surprised how fun it was! I was warned about some strong language, but did not find it overly so. Very engaging, fast paced and it was really fun to try to guess what was behind the magnetism of the characters and why would Kaddy's parents abandon her as a child... Can't wait for the next book!
Gabby (What's Beyond Forks?)
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed

Full Review at: What's Beyond Forks?

This is a good versus evil book, but it's up to Kaddy to choose sides. However, she's not going to let either side tell her what to do. This definitely adds to the intrigue of this book, and I'm very curious to see where this series goes.
gail broomfield
Nov 05, 2017
Hollie Westring
Nov 12, 2013
Sarah Beaver
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!!!! CAN'T wait to see what happens next!!
Sabira Hussain
Nov 22, 2013
Kristin
Nov 03, 2013
Maria
Oct 03, 2013
Katherine Paschal
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kaddy has had a hard life, her only positive things is her her best friend Mike and her love of Music. It seems like recently though she can't escape her abusive past and relives it through her night terrors. On top of that, it seems that her sense of smell has enhanced and she is always running hot, feverish. When a stranger shows up in the music store she works in, Kaddy is overwhelmed by his scent as well as by the attraction she feels to him. But there is something else in town looking for K ...more
Anya Xaidi
rated it did not like it
Nov 23, 2013
Bailey
Aug 13, 2017
Risa
Review coming soon
Author, book nerd, and crazy cat lady, Paulina Ulrich is the author of the Flightless Bird series, the award nominated Fighting Fate series, and many more stories to come due to her highly active imagination. After receiving her BA in English-Creative Writing, Paulina spends her days crafting stories with her insanely fluffy cats by her side. She has also been published in Yellow Chair Review for ...more