Start by marking “Winter Fae (Armored Hearts, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Winter Fae (Armored Hearts, #0.5)

Winter Fae

(Armored Hearts 0.5)

~The Short Story Prequel to ARMORED HEARTS (Steampunk Fantasy)~

Once upon a time, a fairy princess gave up her home, her family, and her birthright for the love of a human lord. But life outside has made her sick. When she returns to the land of fae with her son, she discovers things are not as they should be. Will she find the healing she so desperately seeks for herself a
Published December 13th 2012 by AltWit Press (first published December 11th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Winter Fae, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Fae

Sara Elizabeth
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Despite the fact that this was a short story, it said more in those few pages than some hundred-something page books I've read. The writing is beautifully detailed, and I really felt as if I was watching a movie in my mind, with every detail in perfect place. Nothing was missing.
This book is a prequel to Armored Hearts, and has me beyond intrigued to read further. The cover itself is gorgeous and fits the story beautifully. This prequel opens with the returning home of a fairy princess named An
Alexia Purdy
This is a prequel to the steampunk fantasy novel ‘Armored Hearts’ and I suggest reading this first before reading the novel. It explains a lot.

I loved this short introduction to the world of the Fey. Lady Ansleigh Smith makes her way back home with her son Tristan, to the Fairy world where she was once heir to the Seelie throne. Finding the human world too cruel and cold to bear, she hopes she can return home and be healed from debilitating sickness. But will she be welcomed? Will her half-human
Lindsay
Feb 15, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a brief sequel to Armored Hearts (which I loved!) and it explains so much! It filled in blanks and helped satiate my need for more.

I read Armored Hearts first, and I'm glad that I did. I prefer to head into a book with a clear mind, and a mystery in my heart. This prequel answers so many questions that I was glad to have unanswered at first. If you prefer to have all the cards laid out first, then I would suggest reading the prequel first.

There is a distinct difference between these tw
Karey Smtih
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a very short read and leaves you wanting more. It is a prequel to the next book Armored Hearts. From the start my heart went out to Ansleigh and her son Tristan. After leaving her land to live with the humans she discovers its not all it supposed to be and tries to return home to the family she left behind. But are they willing to forgive? Will her parents welcome her back? Didn't want to stop reading...I look forward to more
Marsha Berg
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a short, this was an excellent story! This is the prequel to Armored Hearts! As good as this story is, I can't wait to get the next in the series, Armored Hearts! I'll give this story 5 stars!
Ariella
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing read! I love the characters. The plot was amazing written. I highly recommend this book! The Fae didn't accept her and the son right away it took some time.
 Bella Marie
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
1,5 stars. But what the Hell. Too short. Wayyy tooo short.
Vintagebooklvr
May 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
2 1/2 stars.
Patrick Cox
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very short story of pixies. This looks like it will be a really good story
Amber
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was drawn into this short story with a passionate interest in the characters and the intriguing history behind this short story. I absolutely can't wait to read more about this haunting story!!

Winter Fae is an exhilarating and intriguing start to a breath-taking story that expertly and beautifully weaves the streampunk and fantasy genres into a unified story of love, magic, and the boundless power of the human spirit.

Through Winter Fae we are given a powerful and heart-breaking glimpse into th
J.L. Mbewe
First the short story.
Lady Ansleigh Smyth and her two year old son, Tristan. One of the immortal fae, she traded it all for a chance to win the heart of a human, but discovered "You cannot win something that does not exist." She returns home, broken and sick, hoping her family will forgive her and heal her and her son, who cannot walk. This glimpse into the series of Armored Hearts shows a world rife with conflict set between fae and the industrial age, and her tragic story could definitely be a
Ashley Ehlers

Was originally posted on Paranormal Sisters: http://paranormalsisters.blogspot.com...

After reading Armored Hearts I was dying to get back into this world with the prequel, Winter Fae. This is truly a short story, with only maybe 19 pages. So it’s quick, easy, and reads smoothly by capturing you!

If you read Armored Hearts (which I advise you to read before this prequel) this is where we find out what happened to Gareth’s mother. It’s truly devastating and your heart just hopes all will turn out
Lindsey
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Winter Fae was a great short story prequel of steampunk fantasy Armored Hearts. When a fairy princess trades her birthright for a spell to make a man fall in love with her and give her a son, she unknowingly causes destruction back in her own land. As she unexpectedly ages rapidly and her husband grows cold, she trudges back to her land with her young son. Will her family accept her again? Can she ever be forgiven for her actions or will she be cast out?

I liked this story very much, and even tho
Candy Smith
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love this story but it was so short.I can't wait for ARMORED HEARTS to be released so I can find out what happens next.It is a fast paced and emotional read.A hastily decision may cost Ansleigh and her young son,Tristan,their lives..
Ansleigh wanted what everyone wants,someone to love her.But when she gives up her life in the Seelie Fairy Court to find love in the mortal world,things don't turn out as she planned.Now she seeks forgiveness and entry back into the Fairy world but what she finds i
Nina
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved the way this was written, you were just sucked into this story within the very first page. The authors have created a very different world full of fae and you can't help but to be intrigued by it. The characters are very thoughtful of what they do, especially Ansleigh, and you just have to feel what they feel. The ending was very bittersweet for me and I just have to read Armored Hearts now.
Ansleigh, I feel, is a little bit of a romantic. Against her father's wishes, she crosses the vine
Wendy
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
"Winter Fae" the short prequel to "Armoured Hearts" introduces the reader to Tristan's mother Lady Ansleigh, the woman who sold her birthright to an Unseelie witch so that Lord Gerald Smyth would fall in love with her and she could bear his first born son. But like all tragedies there are consequences in trying to buy love which she finds when she returns in the cold of winter to the land of the Fae with her crippled son Tristan.

The background is interesting, the cover beautifully-crafted but th
Erin
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Don’t let the length of this story fool you. Yes, it’s a short prequel, and took about 10 minutes to read, but does NOT disappoint in its importance. I highly recommend reading this. I if you’re not sure if you want to read book 1, this story will tell you immediately that you want to. Also, if you’re sure you ARE going to read book 1, you already miss SO much if you don’t read this first.

In the first few paragraphs, you knew how loving this woman is, and what a beautiful land she’s in – and tha
Shelly Hammond
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This story is the perfect length to pull you in and leave you wanting to read the full length book that follows. Perfectly written short story.

Winter Fae is written in a way that enables the reader to easily picture the beautiful world the authors are creating in their minds. In a short time, all the characters are given life and each of those lives seem to matter as if they've been known much longer than the few pages that have been read.

I don't want to give anything away about the story becau
Angie
Oct 25, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a nice, quick prequel to Armored Hearts, which I really enjoyed. It tells about Gareth's mother, how she came to have him, and why he wound up living in the human world. I'm kind of glad that I read it second, since I already knew part of Gareth's history and then this filled in a bit more information. It would definitely still work being read first though, since then you already have some background about what makes Gareth special. I also feel like it makes the first book's title make ...more
Jessica
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunk, fae
This is my first steampunk read, and to be honest I had to look up steampunk because I really wasn't sure what it was. I think, I will really get into it though. I really enjoyed reading Winter Fae. It maybe took me an hour to read, and I did cry a little at the end. I really liked how the authors left a little surprise at the end. I think Winter Fae is a good way for someone to start the series. I differently recommend this book, and the only reason I gave it 4 stars was because, I wished it wa ...more
Autumn
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a really short read. Pretty much it is a prequel to the next book Armored Hearts and it is all about the fae.

Pretty much a fairy princess gives up being a heir to live in the human world. Now she learns things are not what she was expecting and wants to return home. But what did it cost her to live with the humans? Can she be forgiven? She needs her mother to help not only herself but her son as well, can her mother do it?

This was a great prequel to get you ready for Armored Hearts an
Victoria Rapaglia
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was amazing novella that leaves you wanting more. As lessons are learned that if you give up your birthright that it is to hard to come back and be excepted by them. As Ansleigh comes back to get the help her son Tristan and her need but finds out her mother is gone and it was because of her. Can Ansleigh find the help she needs for her and her son? Or will they be told to leave? If you want to find out pick up your copy today. I was glued to the pages of this short novella that b ...more
Jen
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I felt really bad for Tristan and his Mom right from the beginning, them being turned away from their family like that wasn't nice even though I can understand why it was done..

I haven't personally read many short stories but this one has me wanting to read more, I really want to see what will happen to Tristan after his new discovery!
Alysa H.
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I won a copy of this in Elle Casey's 2013 January Anniversary Indie Book Giveaway.

I liked this a lot! Lovely, evocative writing. I'm looking forward to the upcoming novel for which it serves as a prequel. I want to see what happens next to the little boy here who shall grow up unaware of his half-fae heritage.
Danielle Smiley
This is a very short (and free) story about what happened to Gareth's mother. It's a story that has so much potential; I wish the authors would've fleshed out this story more --more showing and less telling. It also makes me wonder how certain characters (won't spoil it for you by saying who) in Armored Hearts weren't sick as well.
R.A. Sears
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Like all shorts, and especially prequel shorts, this is really nothing more than a tease. Well written, with an epic fantasy feel. Fae, pixies, magic, guardian wolves. It also contains a preview of the next full novel "Armored Hearts". Why only 4 stars? The main character, Ansleigh, has her name misspelled at one point.
Pauline Creeden
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Story I co-wrote with MTL - and happen to love it...but wait until you read the novel this is prequel to! I <3 it even more...
Jodi Woody
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book, so short! Just a little teaser for Armored Hearts. If I hadn't read the full book first, this would have prompted me to.
Zelma
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Super short prequil to armored hearts. Can't wait to start the next book. Very interesting
KiWi
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nice preview

Wouldn't mind continuing on with this story, it's intriguing from word one. It left me pondering, so much yet to be discovered and written well.

• Armored Hearts (Armored Hearts, #1)
  • First Bite (Darkwood Manor, #1)
  • Witch Flame (Keepers of the Stones, #0.5)
  • Divided Heart (Hayle Coven #9)
  • In Embers (Ember, #3)
  • Desolace (Desolace, #1)
  • Autumn Dawn (The Witchling, #2.5)
  • Soul Sisters (Soul Sisters, #1)
  • Dark Salvation (Immortalis, #5)
  • Agartha's Castaway (Trapped in the Hollow Earth, #1)
  • Paranormal Days Gone Awry
  • Whiteout
  • Stardust (Of Dust and Darkness, #2)
  • Betrayals of Spring (Forever Fae, #2)

Armored Hearts (1 books)
  • Armored Hearts (Armored Hearts, #1)