Start by marking “Penelope (Fairweather Sisters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Penelope (Fairweather Sisters, #1)

Penelope

(Fairweather Sisters #1)

Leaving behind the rural charms of Finnshire, Miss Penelope Fairweather arrives in London with hope in her heart and a dream in her eye. The dowager, no less, has invited her for a season in London, where she will attempt to catch a husband.

Thus begins our heroine’s tale as she attempts to tackle the London season with all her rustic finesse. Unfortunately, her rustic fine
Published January 13th 2013

To ask other readers questions about Penelope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Penelope

Start your review of Penelope (Fairweather Sisters, #1)
Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂
I hate giving a bad review when an author gives me a free copy of a book. But the author approached me because she thought I liked humorous Regency romances & I did message her back that I usually only like the incomparable Georgette Heyer's Regencies & that I was in a bit of a reading slump because of Lockdown. Ms Wylde still very kindly sent me a copy.

I had a problem almost immediately with the idea of a pet goat being kept in the house. (not a spoiler - Lady Bathsheba is introduced 3% in) I'v
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Synopsis

Young country maiden, Penelope Fairweather arrives in London to stay with the Radclyffs, her goal to catch a husband. However, Penelope is the most awkward of ducklings. She is a disaster magnet, with no polish, a penchant for saying whatever comes to her mind, and a best friend (Lady Bathsheba) who is a goat. So the dowager Duchess of Blackthorne and her daughter, Anne, Lady Radclyff, have their work cut out for them. It doesn't help that Charles, the present duke, despises Penelope, an
Exina
“All the good stuff is not for ladies,” Penelope grumbled.

Penelope is a sweet historical romantic comedy, filled with amusing and original ideas.

Anya Wylde is a great storyteller. She smoothly carries the story forward, vividly portrays the characters, and is able to make enjoyable even the descriptive parts. You become attached to the characters soon, you can see and hear them, and feel sympathy for them.

Penelope, a country girl, with her refreshing uniqueness, arrives to s
Dina
4 1/2 stars (rounded down to 4 stars because the Duke's grovelling apology should have been a bit longer - yes, I'm that vindictive, LOL)
Anna D.
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Two things:
First, MANY times I had to ignore impossible plot points, events, and the characters’ reasons for what they said and did. There’s really no place for rational thinking in this story. None. You just have to sit back and enjoy.
Second, I thoroughly enjoyed this book!

Let me first start with what I didn’t like..so I can end on a good note and say what I loved about this book. What I didn’t like was that the silliness and “incidents” or “accidents” were one on top of another. And I think i
Anne
Hahahahaha oohhhhhh this book!!! Where do I start?!

I have just finished it, and am still busy wiping the tears from my eyes, born equally from laughter and adorable feelz. I have absolutely no idea how Anya Wylde managed to write one of the most adorable Regency romances I've ever read, where half the book literally makes no sense and the other half consists of the H/h yelling insults at each other.

I don't know how it's possible, but it just happened, and I absolutely LOVED it.

As pretty much
Carla *Jen7waters*
Penelope tells the story of this extremely likable heroine to whom is given the opportunity to travel to London and join the Season---all this sponsored by a wealthy dowager who used to be a friend of her deceased mother, being that Penelope’s family could never afford it. The thing is, Penny is pretty much the human version of a small tornado, and people usually stay away from her so they won’t end up involved in her mishaps. She’s also not allowed to go back home (without a husband), or her vi ...more
Mitch
Jul 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
Ugh. I don't think there is much worse than when you start a book and are loving it in the first couple chapters, and then it goes and tanks. Ugh.

That is exactly what happened with Anya Wylde's "madcap regency" Penelope. I'm new to the regency genre, but I do like it so far. I was excited for a lighthearted, fun, silly regency and was impressed with the reviews I have read.

So, I bought it on Kindle and began to read. It tells the story of a young woman named Penelope, who was sent to the frien
Leona
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, regency
This one started out so strong.. I usually love a mad cap comedy, but this just got too goofy for even my tastes. It bordered on the absurd so much that I felt the romance got lost.
Penny Watson
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Penelope by Anya Wylde

Penelope is an adorable historical farce. The humor is way over the top...there is a highway robber, a goat, a cross-dressing spy, a hilarious uncle with a mustache obsession, and a sweet, lonely heroine who is longing for love, companionship, and friendship. Penelope is adorable, goofy, and good-hearted. Folks looking for what I like to call "reality-based fiction" will probably not like this one. You need to check your willing suspension of disbelief at the door, and then
Sophia
Audiobook Review

Penelope stood the test of time for me when I picked it up as a re-read in the audio version and found it as zany and madcap as ever. It was "excessively diverting" to quote Austen who would have found this one absurd, but oodles of entertaining fun all the same. It was a listening delight and, fair warning, if you are embarrassed by your laugh then banish yourself to listen at home.

Penelope begins when Miss Penelope Fairweather is brought to town for a London Season chaperoned
Pamela Shropshire
In her dedication, Ms. Wylde mentions P.G. Wodehouse, and there are some resemblances to Wodehouse in this book (its all too easy to imagine a Wodehouse character traveling with her pet goat); there is also a bit of Georgette Heyer in the plot. But mostly, the plot reminded me of Julia Quinn.

If you have read Julia Quinn’s books, then you will recall the references to a series of farcical gothic novels, the first of which is called Miss Butterworth and the Mad Baron. One of the memorable facts ab
Jo
Feb 27, 2013 rated it liked it
rating clarification : 3.5 stars

" It is monstrously unfair that whenever a girl needs her wits about her, she goes and does something completely idiotic."

For sure Penelope is that sort of girl...which only brings some hilarious situations.
Now our heroine, is a country girl, and with the aid of the duchess, an old friend of her deceased mother, she comes to London to find a husband.
Of course when the duchess son,meets her he instantly dislikes her (well she does pinch his ear) and is determin
Ririn Aziz
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.75*

Hilarious all the way! And very sweet indeed.

I love it when a simple girl, without meaning to, managed to captured the heart of a cold man, in this case, the arrogant Duke of Blackthorne.

Penelope was a simple country girl from Finnshire. Got to have a season in London when the dowager Duchess of Blackthorne offered to sponsor her, as she was her late mother's best friend during their school days.

Ian
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: stand up comics.
Recommended to Ian by: ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Shelves: g-historical
When the Duchess of Blackthorne invites Penelope to stay with her in London and to pay for her introduction to society it is a rare opportunity. Leaving behind her rural home and her wicked step-mother she travels to the stately manor with her goat and immediately finds herself clashing with the dowager's¹ son the duke.

With no home to return to, she must make the most of the season and find herself a husband...pretty much anyone will do. With a little help from a cross dressing modiste² she lear
Seema Khan
Jun 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Oh it was a cute book! Penelope is extremely naive but at the same time endearing. Charles annoyed me a great deal because of how he treated Penelope, but the Dowager Duchess Blackthorne and Lady Anne just make up for that!

All the bizarre circumstances Penelope finds herself in are just outrageous, and I kept laughing all through the book! What from the fake mustaches, and pet goats to befriending highwaymen and theatrical musicals in the house, it was just unpretentious fun!

The relationships t
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5
This has to be the silliest historical romance I've read so far. Before I started reading this book, I checked the reviews, especially those with one-star rating. They hate Penelope, so a warning is in order: don't read this expecting it to be ordinary romance with a touch of humour. It isn't. Everything is exaggerated so much that one can't help but laugh. As soon as you accept the story as such, you'll have lots of fun.

We meet Miss Penelope Winifred Rose Spebbington Fairweather when sh
Becky
3.5 Stars

I wasn't really sure what to expect from this one going in, but I will admit that I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed the story much more than I thought that I would, especially considering that, despite what MrsJ claims, I am not really a romance reader. Occasionally I'll dip a toe into romance, but it's not really my genre of choice.

So, I actually liked this. It was a bit over the top, and in the middle I started feeling like it was getting repetitive with the antics and mishaps, b
Dhini
I was lucky enough to be one of the recipients of this book. This eBook provided to me by the very generous author for free.

Oh.My.God!!
I loved this book..
The idea of the story is genius.
It is so original.
I've never read a book with a story like this.
It was a sweet, romantic, ridiculous, heart warming and fun reading.
I laughed out loud (like an idiot) while reading this book. This book was beyond my imagination..
And of course I loved the characters (they were brilliant), the sense of humor, the g
Denise
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
I expected silly, lighthearted fun of the "requires the use of precisely zero percent of one's brain to be entertained by" variety, but this was just so over the top as to be an entirely ridiculous heap of complete and utter nonsense.
Amy
If anachronistic absurdities strike you as funny, this is probably your cup of tea. If, like me, it stresses you out when a Regency miss in her first season wears something other than white or unattached males pay for their female guest's entire wardrobe, you might want to tread warily.
But I don't say avoid entirely. The enthusiastic disregard for historical accuracy holds its own consistent logic and works if you run with it. No one is waltzing without permission at Almack's, but at the same t
Katie W
Hilarious Regency romance

Penelope is a super fun (and funny) Regency romance and I was constantly laughing at Penelope's naivety and uncomfortable scrapes. I hate finding myself in situations such as she found herself in, but it was refreshing to be able to laugh along with her, and at her, as I realized that it's not the end of the world to be so thoroughly unsettled.

Penelope is a light-hearted and almost backwards character and coming to London to make a match is her dream. Right from the star
Judi Easley
My Review:
First Response: This was a delightful Regency romp! Lighthearted and humorous with lots of laughable bungling by a most heartwarming character. Full review soon.

I don't usually like to do much summarizing of the story, but the summary above really doesn't do the story justice. So here are a few more bits of information.

The Dowager Duchess and Penelope's mother were friends while "at school". The Dowager Duchess promised her friend she would look after her daughter if anything happened,
Yue
The dumbest book I've ever read. Utterly ridiculous situation, one after another. The author tried to make a naive, cute, unique MC, but to me she is one of the most idiotic girls I've read. The duke is another imbecile.
Debbie
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, not-jaff
This is a delightfully silly Regency romance. It's a little bit Pride and Prejudice, a little bit My Fair Lady, and a little bit Monty Python.

Penelope Fairweather is disliked by her stepmother Gertrude but, fortunately, her mother is watching over from heaven. The simple country girl is taken in by the household of the Duke of Blackthorne thanks to a promise made by his mother to Penelope's mother many years earlier. Penelope arrives at this stuffy, well-ordered estate accompanied by her pet go
Jenny
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a hard one to review! :) I started off loving the idea of this book...and it had me cracking up right away. Miss Penelope Winifred Rose Spebbington Fairweather...what a name! "Miss Fairweather was not pretty, nor could she ever be a wallflower. She was rustic, a woodland creature with an aura of something fay. She had brought the mist, rain and storm with her into the drawing room of the Blackthorne Mansion." And that its where it all begins!
From there on out it had it's ups and downs. A
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
This book is light and fun and fluffy - which was pretty much exactly what I was looking for when I picked it up. It reads like a rom-com, of sorts, and the plot is cliche and predictable - but sometimes you go into a book wanting the familiar, and so it's a comfort to get it.

That said, the characters were fun and interesting, especially Penelope, and I found myself invested in her story, despite knowing how it would ultimately come out. (I really felt for her at times, poor dear.)

That said, it
Sophia
Okay, I need to stop laughing long enough to type this review. I decided to read this book because I have read this author's work before and found it well-written lighthearted entertainment. In my opinion, it is safe to say that she surpassed her other effort with this new tantalizing Regency Romp featuring a madcap heroine that would rival some of the best in the light historical romance genre.

Penelope Fairweather breezes into the home of the staid Duke of Blackthorne turning everyone on their
Iliada
Actually a little more than four stars.

Penelope's quite different from what I usually read so it's hard to review. I know it's been mentioned in other reviews, but reading this book feels very much like watching a romantic comedy. The protagonists always get involved in the most unbelievable, unlikely situations. Strangely, while it is not realistic at all and I admit I value works that are believable (not that I mind fantasy, but I want the reactions of the heroes to be believable)I higly enjoy
Grace
God damn this book was an irritating read.

Penelope was a book I found for free for Kindle, advertising itself as a 'romantic comedy' set in the Regency period. And given that my other Kindle book was of the extremely grim variety and this book's pretty cover catching my eye, I figured why not? There's nothing wrong with a light read after all.

It was a light read to be sure. And it did contrast strongly with the other books I was reading concurrent to this one. But as far as its comedic value was

• Gambling on the Duke's Daughter (Brides of Scandal Book 1)
  • The Lady's Dangerous Love (The Langley Sisters #6)
  • The Healing Heart: Mercy (The Baggington Sisters Book 3)
  • Tempting Juliana (Regency Chase Family, #2)
  • To Love a Marquis (Reformed Rakes Book 1)
  • A Town and Country Season (Regency Charades Book 4)
  • The Love List (Half Moon House, #1)
  • The Viscount's Heart (Weddings and Scandals)
  • A Perfect Gentleman
  • Tempting Fate (Providence #2)
  • The American Duke (The Stafford Sisters #2)
  • Deceiving the Duke (Scandals and Spies, #2)
  • The Earl's Enticement (Castle Brides, #3)
  • Duke In Disguise (The Stafford Sisters Book 1)
  • To Vex a Viscount (Lords of London #4)
  • My True Love Gave to Me (The Marvelous Munroes #1)
  • The Viscount’s Vow (Castle Brides #1)
  • Don't Tie the Knot (Wedding Trouble, #1)
Anya Wylde lives in Ireland along with her husband and a fat French poodle (now on a diet). She can cook a mean curry, and her idea of exercise is occasionally stretching her toes. She holds a degree in English literature and adores reading and writing.

Fairweather Sisters (3 books)
  • Seeking Philbert Woodbead (Fairweather Sisters, #2)
  • Dorothy (Fairweather Sisters, #3)