Start by marking “Penelope (Fairweather Sisters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Penelope (Fairweather Sisters, #1)

Penelope (Fairweather Sisters #1)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  2,162 Ratings  ·  406 Reviews
Penelope Fairweather from rural Finnshire arrives in London with a hopeful heart. The dowager invites her for a season to catch a husband. Unfortunately Penelope's rustic finesse is as delicate as a fat bear ripping apart a honeycomb infested with buzzing bees. Fake mustaches, highwaymen, pickpockets, and a devilishly handsome duke follow.
Published January 13th 2013

To ask other readers questions about Penelope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Penelope

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Synopsis

Young country maiden, Penelope Fairweather arrives in London to stay with the Radclyffs, her goal to catch a husband. However, Penelope is the most awkward of ducklings. She is a disaster magnet, with no polish, a penchant for saying whatever comes to her mind, and a best friend (Lady Bathsheba) who is a goat. So the dowager Duchess of Blackthorne and her daughter, Anne, Lady Radclyff, have their work cut out for them. It doesn't help that Charles, the present duke, despises Penelope, an
Yaz *The Reading Girl*
An ARC provided by the author for an honest review.

Full Review

5 crazy Penelope stars :P

"It is monstrously unfair that whenever a girl needs her wits about her, she goes and does something completely idiotic."
That is Penelope.

description

I LOVE THE COVER!!!

I had never heard about this book until Anya Wylde contacted me and asked me if I would be interested in reading her book and writing a review for it. I obviously said yes and started reading it from my nook.

I love historical fiction and romance book
Anna D.
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Two things:
First, MANY times I had to ignore impossible plot points, events, and the characters’ reasons for what they said and did. There’s really no place for rational thinking in this story. None. You just have to sit back and enjoy.
Second, I thoroughly enjoyed this book!

Let me first start with what I didn’t like..so I can end on a good note and say what I loved about this book. What I didn’t like was that the silliness and “incidents” or “accidents” were one on top of another. And I think i
Dina
4 1/2 stars (rounded down to 4 stars because the Duke's grovelling apology should have been a bit longer - yes, I'm that vindictive, LOL)
Carla *Jen7waters*
Penelope tells the story of this extremely likable heroine to whom is given the opportunity to travel to London and join the Season---all this sponsored by a wealthy dowager who used to be a friend of her deceased mother, being that Penelope’s family could never afford it. The thing is, Penny is pretty much the human version of a small tornado, and people usually stay away from her so they won’t end up involved in her mishaps. She’s also not allowed to go back home (without a husband), or her vi ...more
Joana
rating clarification : 3.5 stars

" It is monstrously unfair that whenever a girl needs her wits about her, she goes and does something completely idiotic."

For sure Penelope is that sort of girl...which only brings some hilarious situations.
Now our heroine, is a country girl, and with the aid of the duchess, an old friend of her deceased mother, she comes to London to find a husband.
Of course when the duchess son,meets her he instantly dislikes her (well she does pinch his ear) and is determin
Ririn
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.75*

Hilarious all the way! And very sweet indeed.

I love it when a simple girl, without meaning to, managed to captured the heart of a cold man, in this case, the arrogant Duke of Blackthorne.

Penelope was a simple country girl from Finnshire. Got to have a season in London when the dowager Duchess of Blackthorne offered to sponsor her, as she was her late mother's best friend during their school days.

Ian
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: stand up comics.
Recommended to Ian by: ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Shelves: g-historical
When the Duchess of Blackthorne invites Penelope to stay with her in London and to pay for her introduction to society it is a rare opportunity. Leaving behind her rural home and her wicked step-mother she travels to the stately manor with her goat and immediately finds herself clashing with the dowager's son the duke.

With no home to return to, she must make the most of the season and find herself a husband...pretty much anyone will do. With a little help from a cross dressing modiste² she learn
Penny Watson
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Penelope by Anya Wylde

Penelope is an adorable historical farce. The humor is way over the top...there is a highway robber, a goat, a cross-dressing spy, a hilarious uncle with a mustache obsession, and a sweet, lonely heroine who is longing for love, companionship, and friendship. Penelope is adorable, goofy, and good-hearted. Folks looking for what I like to call "reality-based fiction" will probably not like this one. You need to check your willing suspension of disbelief at the door, and then
Leona
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: regency, romance
This one started out so strong.. I usually love a mad cap comedy, but this just got too goofy for even my tastes. It bordered on the absurd so much that I felt the romance got lost.
Mitch
Jul 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
Ugh. I don't think there is much worse than when you start a book and are loving it in the first couple chapters, and then it goes and tanks. Ugh.

That is exactly what happened with Anya Wylde's "madcap regency" Penelope. I'm new to the regency genre, but I do like it so far. I was excited for a lighthearted, fun, silly regency and was impressed with the reviews I have read.

So, I bought it on Kindle and began to read. It tells the story of a young woman named Penelope, who was sent to the frien
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5
This has to be the silliest historical romance I've read so far. Before I started reading this book, I checked the reviews, especially those with one-star rating. They hate Penelope, so a warning is in order: don't read this expecting it to be ordinary romance with a touch of humour. It isn't. Everything is exaggerated so much that one can't help but laugh. As soon as you accept the story as such, you'll have lots of fun.

We meet Miss Penelope Winifred Rose Spebbington Fairweather when she a
Dhini
I was lucky enough to be one of the recipients of this book. This eBook provided to me by the very generous author for free.

Oh.My.God!!
I loved this book..
The idea of the story is genius.
It is so original.
I've never read a book with a story like this.
It was a sweet, romantic, ridiculous, heart warming and fun reading.
I laughed out loud (like an idiot) while reading this book. This book was beyond my imagination..
And of course I loved the characters (they were brilliant), the sense of humor, the g
Becky
3.5 Stars

I wasn't really sure what to expect from this one going in, but I will admit that I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed the story much more than I thought that I would, especially considering that, despite what MrsJ claims, I am not really a romance reader. Occasionally I'll dip a toe into romance, but it's not really my genre of choice.

So, I actually liked this. It was a bit over the top, and in the middle I started feeling like it was getting repetitive with the antics and mishaps, b
Seema Khan
Jun 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Oh it was a cute book! Penelope is extremely naive but at the same time endearing. Charles annoyed me a great deal because of how he treated Penelope, but the Dowager Duchess Blackthorne and Lady Anne just make up for that!

All the bizarre circumstances Penelope finds herself in are just outrageous, and I kept laughing all through the book! What from the fake mustaches, and pet goats to befriending highwaymen and theatrical musicals in the house, it was just unpretentious fun!

The relationships t
Pamela Shropshire
In her dedication, Ms. Wylde mentions P.G. Wodehouse, and there are some resemblances to Wodehouse in this book (its all too easy to imagine a Wodehouse character traveling with her pet goat); there is also a bit of Georgette Heyer in the plot. But mostly, the plot reminded me of Julia Quinn.

If you have read Julia Quinn’s books, then you will recall the references to a series of farcical gothic novels, the first of which is called Miss Butterworth and the Mad Baron. One of the memorable facts ab
Judi Easley
My Review:
First Response: This was a delightful Regency romp! Lighthearted and humorous with lots of laughable bungling by a most heartwarming character. Full review soon.

I don't usually like to do much summarizing of the story, but the summary above really doesn't do the story justice. So here are a few more bits of information.

The Dowager Duchess and Penelope's mother were friends while "at school". The Dowager Duchess promised her friend she would look after her daughter if anything happened,
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
This book is light and fun and fluffy - which was pretty much exactly what I was looking for when I picked it up. It reads like a rom-com, of sorts, and the plot is cliche and predictable - but sometimes you go into a book wanting the familiar, and so it's a comfort to get it.

That said, the characters were fun and interesting, especially Penelope, and I found myself invested in her story, despite knowing how it would ultimately come out. (I really felt for her at times, poor dear.)

That said, it
Iliada
Actually a little more than four stars.

Penelope's quite different from what I usually read so it's hard to review. I know it's been mentioned in other reviews, but reading this book feels very much like watching a romantic comedy. The protagonists always get involved in the most unbelievable, unlikely situations. Strangely, while it is not realistic at all and I admit I value works that are believable (not that I mind fantasy, but I want the reactions of the heroes to be believable)I higly enjoy
namericanwordcat
I am so glad the Penny Watson recommended this charming romance to me when I was seeking madcap love stories. This is a fun clean Regency with a great make over, a notable goat, and quirky heroine you have to love. The Duke is less interesting but still a dashing figure. If you want something for sheer pleasure and love this time period, you should really enjoy this one. The end kind of comes up a little fast and I would love liked more after the I love yous but so good otherwise.
Kagama-the Literaturevixen

Penelope ( A Madcap Regency Romance ) (The Fairweather Sisters Book 1 by Anya Wylde ) is free on Kindle right now.

Not a book I loved personally but others might like it.
Exina
“All the good stuff is not for ladies,” Penelope grumbled.

Penelope is a sweet historic romantic comedy, full of amusing and original ideas.

Anya Wylde is a great storyteller. She smoothly entwines little stories into the main one, such as Penelope’s encounter with the Falcon, the highwayman. She vividly portrays both the characters and descriptive parts. You become attached to the characters soon, you can see and hear them, and feel sympathy for them.

Penelope, a country girl, with he
Gokce ~Muslin Myst~
For the sake of being completely honest, I do admit I've been thinking how to rate and review this book. My thoughts went two different ways, on one side I liked the quirky characters, the funny dialogues, while on the other, I thought this was a bit disappointing considering what I expected from this genre. But in the end, I think I found a crossroads where the two met and that's when I decided to write my review.

First off, I truly believe this is not meant to be taken as our usual historical r
Sophia
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Okay, I need to stop laughing long enough to type this review. I decided to read this book because I have read this author's work before and found it well-written lighthearted entertainment. In my opinion, it is safe to say that she surpassed her other effort with this new tantalizing Regency Romp featuring a madcap heroine that would rival some of the best in the light historical romance genre.

Penelope Fairweather breezes into the home of the staid Duke of Blackthorne turning everyone on their
Grace
God damn this book was an irritating read.

Penelope was a book I found for free for Kindle, advertising itself as a 'romantic comedy' set in the Regency period. And given that my other Kindle book was of the extremely grim variety and this book's pretty cover catching my eye, I figured why not? There's nothing wrong with a light read after all.

It was a light read to be sure. And it did contrast strongly with the other books I was reading concurrent to this one. But as far as its comedic value was
Don ツ
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Don ツ by: Ririn
Shelves: bacaan-bi, ebook
I am totally excited that I read this book. Originally it was recommended by Ririn. Thanks abundance for her recommendation. I would definitely say this is the first historical book that I would totally love and read again.

(view spoiler)
Tracie Banister
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
After having read several grim, emotionally wrenching books in a row, this delightful Regency novel was a breath of fresh air that worked on me like a tonic. The story and its plucky, calamity-prone heroine, Miss Penelope Winifred Rose Spebbington Fairweather, elicited many chuckles and even a few guffaws from me, and I rushed through it, eager to see how she would triumph over all the obstacles in her path.

The author did such a great job with the characterizations in this book. Not only did I
Kristina
What an entertaining book!! Don't let the "silliness" of the story put you off reading it! The book is perfectly described as " a madcap romantic comedy ". Sit back & enjoy the craziness surrounding quirky country girl Penelope Fairweather's life after she is invited to stay in London with her mother's old friend (a dowager)! Her encounters with the dowager's son were hillarious and it was so much fun to read, I could not put it down.

A send up of the regency period, it was entertaining, very
Yue
The dumbest book I've ever read. Utterly ridiculous situation, one after another. The author tried to make a naive, cute, unique MC, but to me she is one of the most idiotic girls I've read. The duke is another imbecile.
Lottie Eve
Jun 14, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars!

Penelope was a book I started to read in hopes of funny moments and just all-out good fun. Not only did this book give me those things, but it also gave me some truly random but also charming characters and moments. The laughs, fun, and randomness made this very playful book filled with boisterous merriment (yeah, I totally wrote that) that is endearing and addictive.

The story that Penelope tells might seem pretty simple at first: a tale of a girl named Penelope that goes to London is
  • Curricle & Chaise
  • Mine, All Mine
  • Susanna and the Spy (Susanna and the Spy, #1)
  • Charming the Duke
  • The Lady Series
  • Wallflower (The Old Maids' Club, #1)
  • The Baron's Betrothal: An On-Again, Off-Again, On-Again Regency Romance (Horsemen of the Apocalypse #2)
  • A Grosvenor Square Christmas
  • Her Grace in Disgrace
  • Something About Her
  • Phantom in Time
  • The Guise of a Gentleman (Rogue Hearts, #2)
  • Married By Midnight (Pembroke Palace, #4)
  • Got a Hold on You
  • Heartless
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • The Mistress of Trevelyan (Trevelyan #1)
  • Mrs. Drew Plays Her Hand
Anya Wylde lives in Ireland along with her husband and a fat French poodle (now on a diet). She can cook a mean curry, and her idea of exercise is occasionally stretching her toes. She holds a degree in English literature and adores reading and writing.
More about Anya Wylde

Fairweather Sisters (3 books)
  • Seeking Philbert Woodbead (Fairweather Sisters, #2)
  • Dorothy (Fairweather Sisters, #3)

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
  • The Replacement Crush
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hearts at Seaside (Sweet with Heat: Seaside Summers #3)
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Flight (Up in the Air, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Room Mate (Roommates, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Forgiving Hour
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Bright Side (Bright Side, #1)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Chasing I Do (The Eastons #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • That Month in Tuscany
    $6.99 $2.49
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Something in the Way (Something in the Way, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Ghosted
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Billionaire's Final Stand (Billionaire Bachelors, #7)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Billionaire's Dance (Billionaire Bachelors, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blackmailing the Billionaire (Billionaire Bachelors, #5)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire Falls (Billionaire Bachelors, #3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Runaway Heiress (Billionaire Bachelors, #6)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Treading Water (Treading Water, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Life Next Door (Love Not Included Book 3)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Undeniable Love (Journey Of Love Book 2)
  • Bittersweet
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mr. Perfect (Mister, #1)
  • Made for You
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Journey Home
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgettable Love (Journey of Love Book 3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Men like to imagine and think vulgar thoughts, but present them with boldness and they run scared.” 15 likes
“Penny, how can you behave like a total idiot?"
Anne giggled, "I have no pride when it comes to winning back people I love.”
12 likes