Start by marking “Road to Nowhere” as Want to Read:
Road to Nowhere

Road to Nowhere

Librarian's note: this is an alternate cover edition - ISBN 0340590211 (ISBN 13: 9780340590218)

A DARK AND STORMY NIGHT

Teresa Chafey is running away from home. Driving north along the California coast, she picks up two mysterious hitchhikers: Poppy Corn and Freedom Jack. Together, the three of them tell stories: Teresa, of her devastating relationship with her boyfriend;
Published December 1993 by Hodder Children's Books (first published February 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Road to Nowhere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Road to Nowhere

Start your review of Road to Nowhere
Erin
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: october-2019
I bought this book when I was 10 years old at my school's book fair(Man I miss those). I loved this book as a 10 year old so I decided to reread as an adult.

OMFG! This book is a lot darker than I remember.

Teresa Chaffey has had a very very shitting night and is running away from home. While driving late at night Teresa decides to do something SUPER STUPID. She picks up two hitchhikers Poppy Corn & Freedom Jack(I know the name are something). To pass the time they decide to tell some "true"
Lucy Banks
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just as fun as I remembered, though rather religious!

I used to devour Christopher Pike's books as a teen, and to be honest, I probably wouldn't have got into writing if I hadn't been so inspired by his stuff (him and a few others authors). Recently, I treated myself to a few of his books to see if they'd managed to stand the test of time... with this being one that I remembered as being particularly good.

It's fair to say that, despite my advanced years (ho ho), I enjoyed it every bit as much as
Claire
Jun 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone and their mom
Recommended to Claire by: jesus
I read this when I was 13. That following Christmas, my parents surprised me with a tower of his books. I still read this book every so often. Oh that's right, there I said it.
Bren
I loved this gritty little book when I was younger but, unlike with many other Pike b ooks, I've yet to do a reread so I cannot do much of an in depth review on this one. Will wr ite more after I do a reread as lately I am on a Pike reread fest!

PS: It is good though, that much I remember!
Tahni
Back in the day this was one of my favorite Christopher Pike novels, so I reread it as part of my book-culling project, and while parts of it held up to what I remember, other parts fell flat and felt clumsy.

I agree with anothe reviewer who said that the primary saving grace of the story is the story-within-a-story of John and Candy. *That* was interesting, thought provoking, and kept me going, and I did really enjoy the style in which it was told, alternating between two different perspectives.
Kia
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I was about 11. And I remember telling my dad as he was driving me to school one morning that I liked Christopher Pike books because they were profound. He really made me think about things. At that time I had never read any books with the subject matter that some of his books contained. They had life, death, and religion. What I remember most about the YA horror/suspense/supernatural books at the time were that they were the slasher type where kids got together and got ...more
Angie
October isn't complete without a nostalgic read by Christopher Pike!!
Enjoyable but typical Pike book. Spooky with a moral twist. It isn't one I'd read before, and Won't be one of my favorites of his. But definitely liked it. I still like to occasionally read his books that were so important to me in my early teens
Shirley
Jun 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We have a number of Christopher Pike novels in our junior high school library. A student who is an avid reader mentioned that he was really surprised that these books are on our shelves. I checked all of them out to read over the summer.
The plot in Road to Nowhere contains sex, drugs, and some mild profanity. Though the plot seems predictable through most of the book, the conclusion has some great twists and turns that were entirely unexpected. The book combines suspense, mystery, and teen
Aimee
Aug 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book, although i feel like a dork (which i am) when i read these teen books. But i used to love them so much, i go back every now and then and find some of my old favorites.

What i did not like about this book was its predictability. I had it figured out, except for a few minor adjustments, pretty much to a tee from the beginning. Also, Teresa is a songwriter. I see why Christopher Pike writes books and not songs from this book. There are around 4 full songs with lyrics in
Karol
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing. I think the events were entertaining, and the fact that something kept nagging at me from the back of my brain that something was off. This all unfolded quite interesting. I really like how the book was written, as it made me feel as I were in a trance, reading this book and clinging to every work. Very few writers succeed in doing that to. The ending left me wanting a second book, but I still like how I could imagine the ending. It lets me fulfill my unrealistic dream ...more
Sabrina
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!!!!
What can i say about this book? Another amazing Christopher Pike book. This book is suspensful and leaves you wanting more. Some stuff was predicatable but it was still so so so so so good!!
Spoilers:
I love how she was almost dead the whole book, and Free and Poppy where the characters from their story, Candy and John. I wished she did kill her ex and friend, but he did save her at the end. I also loved how she ends up meeting Candy's son when she is awake and alive at the hospital really cute,
Mehreen
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is another of my guilty pleasures. I read this when I was 14. The idea to just pack and leave was quite a charming escape. It seemed very appealing. This story is about Teresa who is running away from home because there is no one who she can go back to. On the road she meets two strangers and a journey unfolds that might just save her life later on.

I loved the theme of this story: that life is worth fighting for. Always. Life is worth living for.

One of Christopher's best books.
Meconopsis Lingholm
I'm re-reading this as part of my 90s nostalgia week. I am happy to report that I still rather enjoy this one (whisper of death was my other fav which I dont much care for now (cf my review earlier this week). it's certainly predictable and a little depthless but it's YA, very few authors can pull that off with such grace that it's truly ageless (the giver is one such example).
Michaela Hayes
Oct 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, it has such an amazing twist at the end! those who are reading this book it may go slow, but towards the end it gets absolutly wonderful!
Lance Dale
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 stars for the overall story and one bonus star for the well executed twist. I have to give Christopher Pike props for writing young adult novels which are still fun to read at my advanced age.
Anidict13 IsTheName
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anidict13 by: July Pil, Miss Harry
I like it. Not in a AHHHHHH!!! I'M SO SCARED SHITLESS!!! kind of way, but in a "Woah... what just happened? That was disturbing..." kind of way.. You know, when you think about it over and over and you can't get it out of your mind, and all the while you feel tingles and goosebumps running up and down on your arms?? That kind of feeling...?

Well, that's what I felt anyway. I'm not really a fan of horror genres or paranormal stuff, because, frankly? I don't like getting scared shitless just for
Kate
Teresa decides to run away. Shortly after hitting the highway, she picks up two hitchhikers: Freedom Jack, a charismatic dude in a Technicolor dreamcoat, and Poppy Corn, a bad-ass chainsmoker. As they drive, Free and Poppy tell the story of John and Candy, a happy high school couple whose relationship goes straight to hell - John helps Candy cheat, then John ends up expelled when he gets caught and punches a teacher. John ends up in juvie, while Candy ends up sleeping with her professor and has ...more
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Usually Pike's tempting words whirl me up into a state of orgasmic reading bliss, but here the release didn't match the build up. The traditional Pike strengths are here in their usual trimmings - strong characters, a bizarre and twisted story, a strange ending - but the pizazz existing in some of his other works is watered down.

For one thing the pace wasn't as strong. It's not a slow book by a stretch, and there's a scene or two in there that's mystifying, but the road to nowhere left me on the
Jill
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Over the summer my mom and I hit a few garage sales. I was eager to find something that would possibly entice my 13 yr. old nephew to get into reading and I remembered these books from when I was his age and how much I loved reading them. So, back to the garage sale. It was a very large Church garage sale and, to my surprise, I found stacks and stacks of these books. I had a hard time finding them anyplace other than ebay so I grabbed a whole bunch. And as much as I wanted my nephew to try them, ...more
Leah
Feb 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really good. It was one of those book where you think you know what is going on and then all of a sudden you realize that you had it all wrong. It was definatly not a hard book to read either, I finished it in a half a day, so if you want something thats going to last you all the way from New York to California on a road-trip stuck in the car with your six brothers and sisters then I recomend you read this another time. If you want something interesing and quick then this is the ...more
Alex
I always loved Christopher Pike's books when I was a kid, and I was so excited when I saw that my library suddenly had some on the shelves. It's been a long time since I've read one of these!

I remembered this book only vaguely, so I had a great time re-reading it. The twist at the end was fantastic, and I remember most of his books having crazy endings like that. I will be re-reading the other ones my library has soon.
Tasha-Lynn
Aug 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amanda
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For about the first half, I was wondering where this book was going, if anywhere. But it has one of the coolest endings I ever remember reading in a Christopher Pike book, and that makes it well worth the fast read. I really enjoyed this book.
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As with most Christopher Pike books, the twist in the storyline is almost a definite must. I read this book back when I was a pre-teen but I can still remember the anger I felt when the storyline goes a certain way and the satisfaction of the ending. Well, this deserved 5 stars for me.
Kris Lugosi
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was fucking fantastic on soo many levels.
I love the story within the story. I love the twist at the end. I saw some of it coming but the way Pike pulls the explanation together is way than I bargained for!
Lori Kircher
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
5/5 stars. This book was amazing, the plot kept me guessing and there's a major plot twist at the end that I would never have predicted. Two of the characters were a bit predictable, but other than that it was a thrilling, spine-tingling book. I would definitely recommend this book and reread it.
Diana
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, as some people previously stated, this book is not a perfect novel , not even close., I gave it 5 stars because I read it about 10 years ago, in that time it was like the best book ever for me. I recommend it for tween-teens who like to read thriller or mistery stories.
Shauna
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book many many moons ago. So I don't remember every detail anymore. That being said, it was something I needed to read at that time in my life. Even as an adult now, it means something to me. I loved Christopher Rice books from 12 yrs old and on.
Nicola
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 2nd time reading this book. It amazed me once again at how well the plot went. Definitely a must read if you're a Christopher Pike's fan.
Jessie Mosley
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite book by him
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Awesome romantic ghost story 1 10 Aug 02, 2010 06:16PM

• The Baby-Sitter (The Baby-Sitter, #1; Point Horror, #5)
  • The Prom Queen (Fear Street, #15)
  • You May Now Kill the Bride (Return to Fear Street, #1)
  • The Third Evil (Fear Street Cheerleaders, #3)
  • The Accident (Point Horror, #16)
  • Garden of Shadows
  • The Hunter (The Forbidden Game, #1)
  • Haunted (Fear Street, #7)
  • The Second Evil (Fear Street Cheerleaders, #2)
  • Halloween Party (Fear Street, #8)
  • The Lifeguard (Point Horror, #3)
  • The Sleepwalker (Fear Street, #6)
  • The Rich Girl (Fear Street, #44)
  • Overdue
  • The Store
  • Missing (Fear Street, #4)
  • Halloween Fiend
  • The Wrong Number (Fear Street, #5)
Christopher Pike is the pseudonym of Kevin McFadden. He is a bestselling author of young adult and children's fiction who specializes in the thriller genre.

McFadden was born in New York but grew up in California where he stills lives in today. A college drop-out, he did factory work, painted houses and