Start by marking “The Magic of Shetland Lace Knitting: Stitches, Techniques, and Projects for Lighter-than-Air Shawls & More” as Want to Read:

The ethereal beauty and intricacy of Shetland lace knitting might seem beyond the powers of the everyday knitter, but the skills needed are within the reach of everyone who can knit, purl, cast on, and bind off. The Magic of Shetland Lace Knitting is designed to take the novice knitter from their first "yarn over" through the steps needed to master the more complex patterns. T ...more
Published October 29th 2013 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published September 17th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Magic of Shetland Lace Knitting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magic of Shetland Lace Knitting

Dee
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
An in-depth and easy to follow guide that includes clear instructions and a directory of stitches.

There are some beautiful project ideas too that I look forward to trying, once I actually learn how to knit.
Tawney
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received this book compliments of St. Martin's Griffin through the Goodreads First Reads Program.

The awesome amount of practical, usable information Elizabeth Lovick has put into these pages is worthy of 4.5 stars. I have read through the informational sections and perused the patterns, but not actually picked up needles and yarn to work through any of it yet. I but feel confident that any problems will come from my own inattention. If I find otherwise this review will be edited.

T
Kirsten
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this as part of Goodread' First Reads give-away.

This is a really excellent book on the art and craft of Shetland lace. It starts with a history of Shetland lace knitting, then moves into a primer on lace knitting in general -- stitch techniques, how to read a chart, things of that nature. The majority of the book is a truly excellent stitch dictionary with many, many motifs and lots of advice on how to combine them into a shawl or stole. The book wraps up with a handful of
Hadi
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafts
Beautiful book, with a very useful dictionary of stitches. Bit advanced for me as a beginner knitter
Jillian
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This volume begins with a section on essential techniques, which covers basics, like how to read a chart, yarns and works up to design elements and how to combine motifs. This is the longest section of the book. The middle section is a well-illustrated stitch directory and the final section contains 7 projects, from socks, to jackets and shawls... For each project alternate pattern are suggested.

The cobweb shawl is the one I’d most like to try
Hannah
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I am very impressed with this book. Cute and easy to read, well thought out, and helpful. The author explains clearly both how to read charts, and how to imagine original pieces. The stitch dictionary is beautiful, and by using different colours per swatch invites the reader to engage their own imagination. Suitable for either beginners or more advanced knitters.
Michelle
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Tons of knowledge and antique patterns, just not 100% what I'm looking for. I'm working on learning about which patterns come from where, I suppose ;)
Sara
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very good resource for lace stitch patterns. More stitch patterns of Shetland lace type. They are awesome. Only one pattern that I'd knit - not many patterns.
Elizabeth S
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shanon Miller's Heirloom Knitting has been pretty much the standard for which I judge Shetland lace books. If you have it you will realize it has a pretty much complete list of Shetland lace stitch patterns as well as advice for every step of the process.

Sadly HK is very expensive at 40+ dollars and unless you are very interested in making gossamer shawls probably not worth the investment. The patterns are beautiful but most are intended for a very fine gauge. Lovick's book is much less detaile
Emily Webb
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
I understand this type of knitting is delicate and detailed, but there was so much to read. If people are getting this book they already know how to knit quite well. I don't think there is a need to explain the basic types of stitching, different types equipment, etc. I would have started by going over the different types of charts since that is a big part of the lace knitting and that is something that not everyone will know. Finally after learning how to chart it gets into the good stuff learn ...more
Sandra
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This is my first-read win of a craft book.It is a beautiful book. I like the way it is setup. It gives you the history of Shetland Lace. I love the colors. I like the stitch selector, where it shows all the stitches reduced in size, organized by category, also the stitch and row count. It also gives the page number. There are suggested alternative stitches for each project. But I don't know if I can learn to knit, but it gives good directions. I haven't tried it yet.I think that I will be able t ...more
Debbie Payne
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Just a stunning book. The projects are beautiful and I think that I might be able to do some of the easier ones. Directions seem to be very clear. Occasionally I go to a knitting group at my local YMCA and know the ladies will love browsing through this well - presented book. The words in the beginning of the book and the photographs made me feel as if I was there where this magical style of knitting began.
Eloise
Dec 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as part of the First Reads program. It is a wonderful book full of useful information. It would be a great resource in designing shawls. I think it is more for an intermediate or expert knitter but beginners can still find many things of interest.
Mel
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free through a Goodreads First Reader giveaway.

There is a huge amount of information in this book, with beautiful pictures and very clear charts. I haven't knit any of it yet, but I look forward to trying some of the patterns and motifs very soon.
Jackie
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Projects are lovely. Pictures are inspiring. And it is clearly written.
Mckinley
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nicely done. A variety of patterns and levels of experience ending with a few examples of how to create one's own project.
Only 3 stars because I don't plan on making any of these.
Cayenne
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is gorgeous! The perfect guide to knitting shetland lace. It covers shawl shapes, history, yarn options & techniques. It has a beautiful stitch dictionary and an easy-to-use layout.
Anne Marie
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book!
Clear graphics and directions given for special stitches.
Fun projects for every skill level.

This book was a win from the Goodreads First Reads Program.
Sabrina
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great resource of patterns, both main and boarder edges
Jann Norman
catherine l fouts
Apr 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Cast On, Bind Off: 54 Step-by-Step Methods
  • Sock Knitting Master Class: Innovative Techniques + Patterns from Top Designers
  • 200 Fair Isle Motifs: A Knitter's Directory
  • The Principles of Knitting: Methods and Techniques of Hand Knitting
  • Knitted Lace of Estonia: Techniques, Patterns, and Traditions
  • The Celtic Collection: Twenty-Five Knitwear Designs for Men and Women
  • The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques
  • Circular Knitting Workshop: Essential Techniques to Master Knitting in the Round
  • Knitting on the Edge: Ribs * Ruffles * Lace * Fringes * Floral * Points  Picots - The Essential Collection of 350 Decorative Borders
  • Victorian Lace Today
  • Knit to Flatter: The Only Instructions You'll Ever Need to Knit Sweaters That Make You Look Good and Feel Great!
  • A Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns