Start by marking “The F- It List” as Want to Read:
The F- It List

The F- It List

With her signature heart and humor, Julie Halpern explores a strained friendship strengthened by one girl’s battle with cancer.

Alex’s father recently died in a car accident. And on the night of his funeral, her best friend Becca slept with Alex’s boyfriend. So things aren’t great. Alex steps away from her friendship with Becca and focuses on her family.

But when Alex fina
Published November 12th 2013 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about The F- It List, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Janaya No, she doesn't no need to worry :)

Rose
I technically wanted to write a full review of this and have it say everything I want to say about "The F-it List", but this is going to be short and sweet because I don't think it's going to take much for me to reflect upon it.

Overall, I wasn't impressed with this novel because I think it tried to do so much within it that everything was just over the top. You have two girls: Alex and Becca, who are friends and the novel starts off with Alex being mad at Becca for sleeping with her boyfriend o
Gabby
"Sometimes it takes a bucket list to start living again."
This book was a total surprise. For some reason, this book has been getting pretty low ratings from some of my friends on Good Reads, but I've been wanting to read this book for a long time and I decided to give it a chance. I sat down a few hours ago and started reading this but in the back of my head I had this feeling like I probably wouldn't like it or I would end up not wanting to finish it. Here we are, a few hours later and I finish
Jasprit

“Maybe not amazing, but we have to do what we want and not let conventional fear get in the way”.

There seems to be a certain trend with books dealing with bucket lists as of late. I find that I’m really an emotional reader, I seem to find myself gravitate towards books which deal with tough emotional subjects and ones which make me cry. So bucket list books were certainly books I couldn’t wait to dive into.

Despite me assuming that The F-it List would be a book which would solely focus o
Dahlia
Oh my God, this was such a Dahlia book. Witty and irreverant MC *and* BFF? Check. Actual strong friendship that went through a ton of crap without crumbling, and remained consistently shown throughout the book instead of conveniently appearing at the beginning and the end with The Guy taking complete precedence in between? Check. Sex, including both solo and oral? Check. Kind of already wanna read it again? Checkmate.
Amanda
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed The F- It List as much as I thought I would. It's a story featuring a young, strong female main character, Alex, who has to no choice but to deal with the different tragedies life throws at her. Her father dies, her best friend is diagnosed with cancer, and for the most part she manages to keep it all together. This is a story about completing a bucket list that wasn't made for you, although Alex treats it as her own since her best friend is that important to her. I enjoyed the moral o ...more
Jennifer Girard
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, read-in-2017, 5-stars
This book was so better than I was expecting it to be! I love lists, I love badass characters and I love beautiful covers! Alex was an amazing character even when she was speaking to fast and was hurting other people around her cause I can relate to that a lot! I loved the horror movies references in the book even If I haven't seen any of them.
Pixie/PageTurners(Amber) C.
The F It List is a laugh out loud, honest, witty and down to earth read. Even though the story revolves around cancer - every girl can relate to this story. Who hasn't had a fight with their best friend?

Alex and Becca have been best friends for practically forever so they have had tons of fights and make ups during their friendship. So when Becca basically does the WORST thing you can do to your best friend AND she did it on the day Alex had to bury her father; Alex is upset, but she figures sh
JenacideByBibliophile
Sep 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-ya
Since I have been eyeing this book at the bookstore for the past few weeks, I decided to say f*** it (pun intended) and buy it. I am not sure if my interest in bucket and f***et lists came in to play or the fact that I was just excited about the title, but I had really high hopes for this book. I really enjoyed it and read it a few hours right after I had purchased it, but I can honestly say…not really what I was expecting. Let me explain:

The f*** It List (I am never going to get tired of saying
Clare
Dec 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
Sam
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This ARC was provided by the publisher for the purposes of review.

I feel like The F-it List is likely going to get some unfair comparisons to The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Yes both books deal with cancer, love, and loss, but they couldn't be more far a part in a lot of their core values. Cancer is always a heavy handed topic and there are so many books out there that use it as a means to get a rise in emotion instead of showing HOW people actually fight it.

The F-it List is that story. Le
Jeff Raymond
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Hooray sick teenagers/bucket list trend?

This is a more mature YA take on the whole sick kids/"fulfill a list of things"...thing we're doing right now, apparently. On this book, it's Alex's friend Becca that has cancer, and Becca gives Alex her list to complete, or at least try to.

The book is ultimately fun and readable, but is so profane and so oversexualized that it really pulled me out of the story a bit. Perhaps there's a lot more realism here than I'm seeing, but it felt really unnecessary a
Julia Sapphire
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016, romance
This was really meh. It was quick and a very easy read! The characters weren't anything special , same with the premise. I did like that our main character liked horror movies and stuff, I thought it was an interesting hobby.

This book does deal with swearing, sex, and drugs, which was one of the things I didn't like. It was just a bunch of teenagers acting like there 25 years old. I'm not a goody-goody but I hate reading about drugs when there done like this. All the talk about sex was also rea
Kelly
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
The story of two crass, abrasive best girl friends? Sign me up.

Alex's dad died in a car wreck, and her best friend Becca slept with Alex's boyfriend. Alex needs a break from her friend to process all of the collisions going on in her life simultaneously, and she takes that break over the summer.

But when she returns to school, she gets the memo Becca's been diagnosed with cancer. Immediately horrified, Alex turns back to Becca, hoping they can continue the friendship they one had.

And they can.

B
Jillyn
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, requested
Alex and Becca's friendship is strained, to say the very least. While Alex is faced with the loss of her father, Becca comes forward and confesses to sleeping with Alex's boyfriend. A bit of time passes, and Alex's anger is all but forgotten when she hears that Becca has cancer. Becca asks Alex to complete her bucket list as she starts chemo, so that's exactly what Alex does- sets out to complete the renamed F- It list.

----

This book wasn't my cup of tea. I felt like it has a good base idea and c
Melanie
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How could I ever resist to this beautiful cover? And just by reading the first page I was shocked enough to buy the book and push away all my TBR books and started reading this one. I was not disappointed! This is an honest story about friendship, romance, sex and cancer. What a mix?! Yeah, that's the kind of book I will totally put in my list.

Alex is a girl who likes gory horror films and dreams on becoming an Horror movie director. She's sarcastic, negative, sometimes say cruel comments and tr
Defiantly a solid 3.5 star book. There were multiple things that I really liked about this book but also others I found equally annoying. *insert rant about those things here* Overall the book was a fun fast read that in its own special way had you thinking about life, death, and all that comes in between. I do defiantly recommend it saying that this book is great for reading slumps, summer reads, and eventually rereads!! But I also do warn those to be at least 16 and up to read the book, not on ...more
BookChic Club
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
YAY NEW JULIE HALPERN BOOK! Can't wait to read it!!

Edit 6/18/13: Just got my ARC of it. I may have to read it very soon. :)

9/18/2013: Just finished it and absolutely loved it. Full review to come!
Ash †Reviews of a FearStreetZombie†
DNF: page 62

I might come back to this later... Like is the world has ended and I find this in a ditch and I have somehow magically finished every other book left in the world.

The cover. The cover is what drew me in. So. Freaking. Beautiful.

The blurb seemed well enough... Though, now I wish it had a preview button when I bought it. Because had I read it... Ha... ha... hahhahaah I would have stayed far far away.

The main character is a - oh there is a list coming - pathetic, self centered, cynical
Sara Grochowski
Julie Halpern brings something new to the "YA cancer lit" subgenre with The F-It List... simply put, I love this book.

Most YA cancer novels feature either a teen who has cancer or who has a parent with cancer, but this is the first time I've seen that the main character is the best friend of someone with cancer. The fact that Alex is the best friend, not the patient, adds an entirely new perspective to the mix. When you consider the fact that Alex has recently lost her father (to a car accident)
Angela
Look. I didn't even finish this book. I couldn't. You see, I was in this post traumatized reading slump, and I picked up this book hoping it
l get me back into reading. It seemed cute, short and the thing about bucket list ya know. I wanted to read this. And like it. Ugh.

Don't get me wrong, I like my female protagonists to be badass and rebellious but Alex was just so...not? Yes she was "witty" and "badass" but to a laughable degree. She's so immature and the constant cursing got really annoying.
_giovannard
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
The F- It List was not at all what I expected. It was really good, but not as sad or heartbreaking as I thought it was going to be. To be honest I am glad it wasn’t. The book probably shouldn’t have been called the F-It List because I don’t think it really focused on the list as much as it should have. The list was mentioned quite a bit but they really didn’t do a great amount of tasks on the list. I just don’t feel like it was a big part of the story. There is more to it than just the list. The ...more
Abbie
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another cancer book! But this was about dealing with loss, learning to open up, friendship, love, family, and self-efficacy.

I loved Alex's blunt, witty and sarcastic attitude. I loved her relationships and interactions, and her journey with grief. Leo and Becca were great characters as well. Becca wad kind and strong --- and hilarious. Leo made my face melt.

Overall, it was a very good book. I highly recommend it.
Chasia Lloyd
May 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Lots of healthy discussion about sex and masturbation with witty female friendship, cool! Plenty of nice things to enjoy here, but this book didn't wow me. I glossed over most of Leo's parts, sorry, kiddo. I came to read about friendship and wasn't in the mood for romance here. But alas, the friendship itself was a bit...disconnected.

How cute was the homeschooled next-door-neighbor tho?
Justine
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
I really enjoyed this book but I guess I hoped it to be more emotional. But it's a nice contemporary read, full of horror movie related stuff for those who love the genre.
Adriane
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
good book... however expected a little more....but I reallllllly loved Alex's personailty
Ashley Blake
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gah, such a great book. Endless, perfectly-toned snark, laugh out loud, realistic portrait of grief and fear of death and losing, and sexual positivity.
Jenna (lostwithinwords)
3 stars. This book was just not really my cup of tea :(
Aishah
May 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
This took me a longer time to read because I read this with a friend and agreed upon reading a certain amount each day.

Let me just say, if it wasn't for reading wth a friend, I don't think I could have finished this book in the next 3 months. Sure it was an ok read, but definitely not something you look forward to after along painful day of school or work.

It made me a little disappointed in the author. I recently read "Get Well Soon" and I loved it, I expected my feeling to be the same.

Not
Josie Niemuth
Personal Response
I absolutely loved this book. It was very well written and thought out. I can relate to this book because of all the "teen topics," like bullying, sex, and going through rough things at home. I was very moved by this book because it's almost like you're in the book experiencing what the characters are. I've also experienced a loved one who's had cancer, so it's a very close topic.

Plot Summary
Alex's best friend Becca has cancer. Not knowing if she will make it, Becca asks Alex to
Micaela Palacios
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book that I read is called The F-it List by Julie Halpern. The main character is Alex. She is a normal senior girl that goes through some pretty bad situations. This book is about the main character and the struggles she goes thru after her dad died, and her best friend got cancer. She cares a lot about family and friends and she tries to be there for everyone. Alex tries to stay strong, helping her best friend Becca fight cancer. While Becca is in bed sick Alex goes off and tries to complet ...more
  • Sometimes Never, Sometimes Always
  • Premeditated
  • Five Summers
  • The Whole Stupid Way We Are
  • Wild Awake
JULIE HALPERN is the author of five young adult novels and one picture book for young readers. Maternity Leave is her first novel for adults. Prior to her life as full-time mom and author, Julie was a school librarian. In her imaginary spare time, she enjoys traveling, watching television for grown-ups, and eating baked goods. Julie lives in the Chicago suburbs with her husband, author and illustr ...more
“Why can someone
get so sick that the only way to get better is to make them more sick?
It’s like the world’s longest exorcism. It doesn’t make sense that I can
chat with someone live on a tiny screen, that governments spend billions
of dollars on war and mayhem, that actors make millions of dollars
to just look pretty and skinny, yet no one can fucking fi gure out
how to cure cancer without torturing people.”
15 likes
“I have always kept a stack of library books next to my bed as a lifeline. If I ever woke in the middle of the night too scared to move or too sad to roll over, the books were my saviors.” 11 likes