Start by marking “Dead Girls Don't Lie” as Want to Read:
Dead Girls Don't Lie

Dead Girls Don't Lie

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  3,164 Ratings  ·  464 Reviews
Rachel died at two a.m . . . Three hours after Skyler kissed me for the first time. Forty-five minutes after she sent me her last text.

Jaycee and Rachel were best friends. But that was before. . .before that terrible night at the old house. Before Rachel shut Jaycee out. Before Jaycee chose Skyler over Rachel. Then Rachel is found dead. The police blame a growing gang pro
Published September 17th 2013 by Walker Childrens

Gaby
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Review originally posted on Queen Ella Bee Reads

THE REVIEW

Rachel's murdered the same night Jaycee ignores her call in favor of starting up a relationship with Skyler. But when Jaycee sees the text Rachel sent her the night she died, Jaycee can't help but feel like there's more to her friend's death than gang related violence. Then other clues pop up and it turns out that there really is more to this whole thing.

Let's break this down:

I really thought I was going to like is book.

You all know how m
Chrissy♥Dev
One of the best mysteries I've read in a while. I have been having luck with this genre of book so far this year. Another golden pick here and I must say I was little creeped out reading this at 1am in the morning it felt like i was in Lake Ridge being hunted down.
Jaycees best friend is killed in her own room days later she receives a text and a video on her phone of her decrease bff. Jaycee believes there is a lot more to her death. Jaycee starts to look into her death with the help of Eduardo
Elle's Book Blog
Genre: YA Mystery (standalone)

:: 3.5 Pretty Little Stars ::

This was a good book. A tad bit slow for me but an overall decent YA book. I like the whole idea surrounding the mystery (the main characters best friend is killed and she's searching for answers as to what actually happened to her), and there is a major plot twist that will leave readers gasping. Fans of this genre will probably like this one a bit more than me as it's not my "typical read".
ExLibris_Kate
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
The first thing I noticed about his book was its setting. It seemed like such a quiet farming community which made Rachel’s murder all the more shocking to Jaycee and everyone else. As the story progresses, the layers of the town are peeled back until your impression of almost everyone and everything has changed. That is one of the reasons I love books set in small towns, precisely because there is always more going on than you think. Jaycee and Rachel’s falling out settles in Jaycee’s heart and ...more
Rachael
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
My Actual Rating: 1.8

This book annoyed the crap out of me! The only thing this book had going for it was the mystery of Rachel's murder and trying to find out what really happened.

The stereotypes and gang related drama was so ridiculous and I could have predicted the *answer* lied in the opposite stereotype as you would assume. I was right. The good guys were the bad guys and vise versa.

Jaycee was annoying and her dad was so shady but I think that was the authors attempt at leading us down the

This was a YA contemporary mystery story, about a girl who was trying to discover her best friend’s murderer.

Jaycee was an okay character, although sometimes she would have benefitted from putting her brain in gear a bit. Most of the guys in this were a bit creepy though!

The storyline in this was about Jaycee trying to find out why her best friend Rachel was shot and killed, but the pace was way too slow for me, it felt like it took forever for anything to happen, and that bored me a bit.

The end
Erica
Apr 19, 2013 added it
I loved this book. Coming of age and mystery are my two favorite genres, and this book combined them so well. At the start, Jaycee is naive, scared, angry, confused. She's delicate. I loved her growth throughout the story, and I also thought the level of "detective" work that goes on made sense with her being a teenager. Recommended.
Resky
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is really interesting because its like girl's drama and friendship.
Amanda
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Like others are saying, overall, a great mystery/whodunnit with some pretty suspenseful parts. It is a little slow, but there are parts that move quickly. Readers will definitely keep guessing about the killer up until almost the end. Struggling readers might get frustrated with the book in the beginning as there are unmarked flash forwards and flashbacks that are a little confusing.
Katherine Paschal
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, mystery
Jaycee's best friend Rachel is dead. She and Rachel had been inseparable since they were little, but for the last year Rachel changed and the girls grew apart. Jaycee received a call from Rachel the night Rachel was murdered, but Jaycee ignored her. Now Jaycee wants to find out what happened to Rachel and what Rachel really saw that last night she and Jaycee hung out. Jaycee gets help from an unexpected source but will the truth be what she really wants.
I was really excited to read this book. I
TheBookishDiaries
"I know I'll miss her every single day, but the memories she left won't haunt me anymore...I'll remember girls who loved and trusted each other, protected each other, and sometimes even hurt each other. I'll remember a friendship that will never go away."

This is my very first YA mystery book and I’m pretty sure I’ll be reading more from this genre and this author. This book will keep you guessing up until the very last pages of it. You never know who to believe and trust. Who’s actually telli
JoanneJ_E2
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'll remember. There are three of them in the last paragraph of the book. But the last "I'll remember" really made me think.
"I'll remember a friendship that will never go away."
Which friendships will I always remember? To be honest, I don't even know which friendships I will remember. In the book, Jaycee, whose best friend, Rachel, was murdered, had many different friends and trusted people very easily. She wanted to find out who killed Rachel, and why. But trusting everyone, who were all goin
Maggie
Aug 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, ebook, ya

After reading Jennifer Shaw Wolf's first book, Breaking Beautiful, last year I wasn't totally sold on her. In that review I said I wanted to give the book more than three stars because I really enjoyed the writing, but there were just issues I couldn't get past. Part of me feels the same way about Dead Girls Don't Lie, but overall I do think it's a better book.

When I first started reading I was kind of confused. There's Jaycee, the narrator and main character who doesn't seem to have mu
Daisy
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I'd heard AMAZING things about Breaking Beautiful, Jennifer Shaw Wolf's debut novel, but I haven't actually read it (I did pre-order the paperback, so this should be remedied soonish), which meant that I went into Dead Girls Don't Lie without expectations that were insanely high. And guys, it totally worked for me!

Since I started my new residency, I have a LOT less free time to spend on reading and because of the bits and pieces I could snatch over the span of a couple of days, I struggled a bit
Kimber Wheaton
Aug 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
*I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

Dead Girls Don't Lie is part mystery, part suspense/thriller with a dash of romance thrown in. It's definitely a page turner; at times I couldn't read quite fast enough to keep up with my curiosity. This book is sad, which is obvious from the synopsis. We meet main character Jaycee on the day of her best friend Rachel's funeral. Though she had been estranged from Rachel for six months, Jaycee is devastated by Rachel's deat
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love a good mystery and I also love the young adult genre but sadly there are very few mysteries in the YA genre, so when I do find one, I make it a point to read it.

This definitely was right up my alley. Never knowing who to believe, who to like or even whom to trust. I love a book that can make me pause and think and question everything around me.

Who killed Rachel and why? Which one of the three boys in Jaycee's life is to blame and how much do they know that they are covering up? And most
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Dead Girls Don't Lie is an epic story. If you love murder, mystery, and a guess who done it no way in hell that person did it this is the book for you. I mean right from the beginning I was pulled into this story of a friendship gone bad and one friend ending up dead and the other friend wanting no needing to find out who the killer is.

Jaycee and Rachel are best friends. They share everything and do everything together.Then one night they go to this old house and Rachel sees something and soon
Ashley Finnegan
Sep 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed-titles, arcs
Jaycee's best friend Rachel just died. They haven't spoken to each other in six months and yet Rachel tried to reach out to Jaycee just before her death. Jaycee hasn't told anyone that Rachel asked her for her help, and that just maybe had she not ignored the text, Rachel's fate could have been different. Rachel and Jaycee were just hanging out, Rachel wanted to go to an old abandoned house when they stumbled upon a gruesome site, a boy dead. Did someone see them? Does it have something to do wi ...more
Connie
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Source: I own an ebook copy of this book.
Cost: Free

Title: Dead Girls Don't Lie
Author: Jennifer Shaw Wolf
Genre: YA, Mystery
Overall Rating: 3.9 stars

I really liked this book, it was such an interesting plot.

Rachel and Jaycee have been friends since, basically the womb, and when Rachel is murdered; Jaycee is sent into shock. Murdered at 3am, an hour after Skyler kissed her for the first time and six months after the girls friendship ended for good. But her death is more than meets the ey
Sharon Mariampillai
Actual Rating: 4.25

The cover is beautiful. I really liked this book. The plot was very interesting. The writing made me think a bit. Mostly because there were many stereotypes in the book. The chapters are short and simple to grasp understanding. The characters were well developed and very complex. I thought the ending was good. Overall, an enjoyable read.
Adriana
Sep 12, 2013 rated it liked it
This wasn't what I expected. I kind of knew what was going on and who killed her friend and I was just waiting for the MC to figure it out. I didn't really know anyone or feel connected with any character other than Jaycee and Rachel. I wish there was more to the story because there's so much I feel is left out.
Erin
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
It was really crap, I hated the gangs and the murders and everything.

Yet it was strangely intriguing. The plot line so gripping, tense, and I stuck out (perhaps stupidly) right to the end.
Hannah Tedawes
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved it!! Mrs. Kidd you have to read it!!
Isaiah McConaga
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Okay so let’s be honest, I truly do not favor picking up a book and reading at this current point in my life. It is truly hard for me to find a book that I can invest myself in. I believe this is due to never being able to selectively read. Most of the book I’ve read over the years have been assigned so I typically don’t enjoy them.

This book didn’t completely change my aspects on reading but I can say I did invest myself in the book. When I picked up the book and read the title I judged it thin
Alisa
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I recently finished Dead Girls Don't Lie, a horror, mystery, fiction novel written by Jennifer Shaw Wolf. Dead Girls Don't Lie is a young adult book that I think is meant for ages 12+. I personally love mystery novels, and this book was intriguing for me from its beginning to the end.

This book is about a girl named Jaycee whose best friend, named Rachel, was murdered. Jaycee knows there's more to Rachel's death than what the police tell her, and she sets out on a search for answers. The story is
Hadley A
What I liked most about this book was how readers were able to see into a side of the world most people don't see. I read how Rachel's life had changed and ended so tragically. The author also did a great job with her pacing as she revealed little by little how Rachel died. She also did a good job of explaining Jaycee's emotions. It made it very easy to be pulled into the book. Overall, this book was pretty good and I would recommend it to teenage girls.
Shane
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I had mentioned this book previously in my WoW so it was quite a delight when the publisher sent me a copy. The synopsis really intrigued me and I wanted to investigate what was going on in this small town.

First off, Dead Girls Don't Lie really had me pulled in with the opening sentence. The discovery of the deceased friend's body had sent chills throughout the small town and questions instantly started tossing around. Who did it and why? Was it really gang related as police ruled it out to be,
Leah
Link goes live on the blog 9/17.

Jaycee's life was idyllic. She had a best friend, a boy who liked her, and a nice house in a quiet town. After what is declared a gang-related murder shakes things up, suddenly life isn't so perfect. Jaycee's best friend becomes more and more distant, hanging out with the wrong crowd and piercing nearly every inch of her body. As the two grow further apart, the texts become less frequent. Until the night of Rachel's death. The night where Jaycee chose to spend her
Diana
Aug 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, mystery
A couple of years ago I said that someone should write a book in which almost every single person is accused for the most obvious reasons and title it Red Herrings.
Well Dead Girls Don't Lie came pretty close to that idea.

There is so much finger pointing, that at times it felt more like a witch hunt than a mystery. And the only reason those "witches" were being accused was because they fit a "profile."
Which is such a stereotype.
Which always annoy me.

Another thing that annoys me is characters acti
Amber at Fall Into Books
After reading, and loving, Breaking Beautiful, I was super excited to see another book by Jennifer Shaw Wolf. Unfortunately, this novel lacked the heart of the previous one, and I found that I couldn't relate to the characters that much. Also, Wolf's voice is different in this novel and not nearly as captivating. The mystery is solid, and the suspense kept me reading, but this book just didn't grab me like her first novel did.

The characters were well-developed, but I wasn't really a fan of any
  • Until It Hurts to Stop
  • Buzz Kill
  • What Happens Here
  • The Truth About You and Me
  • Freaks Like Us
Jennifer Shaw Wolf grew up on a farm in the tiny town of St. Anthony, Idaho. She spent cold Idaho mornings milking cows in the dark and attended a school where Hunter’s Education was part of the sixth grade curriculum. She’s always been a writer, whether it was sewing together books to read to her little brothers or starting an underground newspaper in sixth grade. She met the love of her life at ...more
More about Jennifer Shaw Wolf

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Roseanna (Martin Beck, #1)
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
    $10.99 $1.99
“I know I'll miss her every single day, but the memories she left won't haunt me anymore. I'll remember the girl who never wore shoes, and our blood promise to always be friends. I'll remember girls who loved and trusted each other, protected each other, and sometimes even hurt each other.
I'll remember a friendship that will never go away.”
1 likes