Start by marking “The Rolling Stones Discover America” as Want to Read:
The Rolling Stones Discover America

The Rolling Stones Discover America

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  105 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
In 1969 Michael Lydon, a founding editor of Rolling Stone and a leading member of rock writing’s first generation, got a dream assignment: to cover the Rolling Stones’ hopscotch tour across America that ended at Altamont. His long, intimate piece on the tour, The Rolling Stones Discover America, captures the highs and lows of the grueling tour and has become a classic of r ...more
Published January 8th 2013 by Franklin Street Press

To ask other readers questions about The Rolling Stones Discover America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rolling Stones Discover America

Paul
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, music
For a guy who was probably having way too much fun, Michael Lydon wrote some clear, interpretive, reports while on the road with the Rolling Stones '69 American tour. It's not just the music, but the people and the culture of the late sixties, a shared history that he experienced up close and personal. He writes about the kids: "They forget everything but being right there, then everything happens, and it's no longer a concert, but a wild high-time happiness that everyone shares." It seems a sim ...more
Susan
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Author of this short ebook, Michael Lydon, was a founding editor of Rolling Stone, as well as being a playwright, journalist and writing many books on music. In the later years of the Sixties, the ‘Big Three’ (Beatles, Stones and Dylan) had given up touring. However, by 1969, the Rolling Stones were ready to go back on the road and Lydon accompanied them on tour.

This, then, is the story of a US tour, which culminated in the stabbing of an eighteen year old fan, Meredith Hunter, in Altamont – mu
Harry
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, music
Short account of the weeks and days leading up to the infamous free concert at Altamont that resulted in the Hells Angels killing someone in the crowd at a Rolling Stones concert. The end of the 60s or the end of the hippy ideal? For fans only but it's my thing so I loved it but not for everyone.
Kathryn
Feb 03, 2013 rated it liked it
True story: when it was announced that The Rolling Stones planned to bring the Steel Wheels tour to my home town, I drew the short straw to get tickets. Now, this happened way before the Internet and refreshing Web pages on LiveNation to get good seats. I had to drive to Turtles Records and Tapes about an hour before the sale began and pluck a strip of paper from a hat as part of the "lottery" system. There were rules, too: you entered the store when your number was called, and you took the tick ...more
Mark J Waltz
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
OK Read

Nothing new disclosed from other accounts. Quick read interesting characters. Seems like eons ago. Description of concert tour is good.
Vtlozano
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not without its fun cameos: Abbie Hoffman, begging for money backstage; a wasted Keith telling off a Los Angeles socialite. But much of it is gassy commentary on kids, rock and roll, and youth culture. That part of it feels like a time capsule from when rock journalism was learning to take itself seriously, and overcompensated by imposing a whole lot of sociology. You do learn what hard work touring was. Lydon also does a decent job of describing strange combo of monotony and excitement that com ...more
Rob Hermanowski
In the nifty Kindle single format, this is essentially a reprint of a lengthy article by a reporter who was embedded in the Rolling Stone's last tour of America in the 1960's (shortly after Brian Jones' death). This included the infamous concert in which a fan was stabbed to death mid concert directly in front of the stage by Hell's Angels serving as "security" for the show. Interesting anecdotes abound, and the reader gets a good sense of what it must have been like to have been there. Recommen ...more
Krishna
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"He smiles the Jagger smile at the room, making deep ridges beside his famous mouth; an ironic jester who insists his words, sung or spoken, don't matter at all."

Thoroughly enjoyed. Couldn't put it down. Not only does Lydon provide a great sense of music journalism, its also a great piece to read in your twenties. That feeling of being disillusioned and removed from that hippy vibe of "All is good, we can be free" is incredibly relatable and somewhat romantic. I'm glad I read this when I did.
Vince Hale
Dec 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: music
This was an interesting enough read, but it was more about the culture / social climate of the time than of the Rolling Stones as a band.

It's told from an insider's viewpoint by a reporter travelling with the band, but too often it morphs from tour coverage into an essay about life in the 1960's.

It was a pleasant enough read, and I'm glad I bought it, but I can't really say I know any more about the band now than I did before I downloaded the Kindle Single.
Gus Sanchez
Aug 08, 2013 rated it liked it
The Stones' 1969 American tour, as seen through one of the few journalists embedded with the band at the time. In this Kindle Single, Michael Lydon recalls the chaos and thrill of the Stones' first full-length tour of larger arenas and stadiums across the States. He doesn't really offer anything new in terms of insight, nothing that hasn't been written about countlessly by now. But his final word on the clusterfuck that was Altamont is worth reading.
Glenn Taylor
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Transported back to the mayhem of 1969 American Tour that became 'Gimme Shelter' movie. A well written, although brief at 928 pages, exposé from an accomplished author who could cover the tour, yet not seem to be in the Stones Inner Sanctum. Even in 1969 it was clear the band were not mere mortals. 'Whatever Mick wants, Mick gets'.
Clyde Cordero
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent book for Rolling Stones and rock history fans.

This is a well written book about the historic 1969 Rolling Stones American tour. You sometimes feel like you have a backstage pass or are there with them. In some ways it's similar to the Almost Famous story and you a good feel for the time period. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys rock and pop culture history.

Don
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nicely done trip back in t!ime. This is an expanded version of an article that originally appeared in Rolling Stone Magazine back in the day. Among other things, it's interesting to read about one of the first big rock tours. People were upset over ticket pricing at $7.50/$12.50!
Renee Garofalo Reich
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great quick read

I read this book at the beach and really enjoyed it. It provided some new
insight into the band...things I never knew and I really thought I knew a ton about the Rolling Stones
Mark Warren
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Stones' 1969 tour through the eyes of an embedded Rolling Stone Magazine journalist. Short quick read. I enjoyed it.
Bob
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-read-books
Ok book. Read on kindle.
Simon Sweetman
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
A pretty cool on-the-road account of the infamous 69 tour of America that ends - with a bang, as it (sorta almost) was - with Altamont.
cheryl page