Start by marking “Mindful Parenting: Simple and Powerful Solutions for Raising Creative, Engaged, Happy Kids in Today’s Hectic World” as Want to Read:

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  205 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
A mindful approach to parenting that helps children (and their parents) feel happier, healthier, calmer, and less stressed in our frenetic era

Rooted in the science of the brain, and integrating cognitive neuroscience and child development, Mindful Parenting is a unique program that speaks directly to today’s busy families who make up what Dr. Race calls "Generation Stress.
Published January 7th 2014 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published September 10th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Mindful Parenting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mindful Parenting

Katie
No, I'm not a parent, but I'm teaching a mindfulness class to my students, and this is the first book I've read on the subject of mindfulness and children to prepare for that.

This book started off incredibly strong; you can really recognize Dr. Race's science background. The first few chapters are set up to explain how our brains are wired for stress, including data and research. Race keeps it basic, but informative, and I felt like I had a good handle on basic brain function without feeling con
Rachelle
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Mindful Parenting” is positive and optimistic, with practical advice for parents of children of different age groups. The book is organized into 3 sections: recognizing stress’ harmful effects on the body, minimizing hidden stresses, and practicing mindfulness. Each chapter talks about brain chemistry and the science behind stress and mindfulness, as well as mindfulness tips and techniques. Race assures us that we all make parenting mistakes, and that we don’t have to practice all these mindful ...more
Becks
Oct 23, 2015 rated it liked it
3.25 stars. I had a whole emotional arc with this book:
* I never would have picked it up if it weren't recommended by a friend
* Then I was surprisingly impressed by the first couple of chapters
* Then bored/eye rolling at a big chunk of the middle
* Then some of the exercises at the end weren't bad

Wish it had stayed with the tone/approach of the first couple of chapters.
Kellie
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Great parenting book with a lot of tips for the adults as well. I found myself very taken aback thinking about the kind of technology driven and overstimulating world my kids will grow up in. Give a lot of insight on how to weave mindfulness into everyday and help kids manage energy and stress.
Molly
Mar 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a lot of good reminders for me...I need to do a better job of teaching my children how to handle and cope with stress in their lives! I actually used this for a family night discussion and hope to implement a few if her ideas.
Lisa B-w
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mindfulness
Loved it! Well written. Easy to read and full of great suggestions for both parents and educators. Happily surprised by the quality of this book.
jvahle
Jan 09, 2014 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Just saw author at Tattered Cover--great scientific knowledge and practical advice.
Sharmila
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
WELL worth the read. So much so that I have purchased my own copy.
Kim Erwin
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the VERY BEST parenting books I have EVER read. This is my gift to all new or repeat parents in my life. Cannot recommend highly enough!!!
Nikki Morse
Couldn't finish because I have bigger fish to fry as a parent. It's probably a lovely book.
Victoria Beall
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gives great ideas and examples on situations. Very helpful especially with children with OCD.
Kara
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really opened my eyes to how much stress affects our lives- with scientific research to back up how mindfulness can help. As a teacher, I plan to implement many of the ideas presented in this book throughout the school year. I have already noticed, just by taking care of myself and being more mindful, that my classroom dynamic has improved dramatically. I think every teacher and parent should read this book!
Carolyn
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book, with some good suggestions. I was a bit turned off by the suggestion of the widely discredited and scientifically disproven book "Babywise" for infant sleep (though the author admits that baby sleep isn't her area of expertise). Overall, some great suggestions for promoting mindfulness in the crazy world of parenting, with the science to back up her techniques.
Dawn CM
Feb 12, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Most of this book outlined why screens are so bad for kids (we all know that, and I wasn't expecting this from the book) - the last 1/4 of the book outlined suggestions on what to do to combat this - some were creative, but overall not very useful for me.
Jessica
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked that this book not only had information on how stress impacts you as a parent, but really how this passes down to your child. This isn't done in a ho-hum way, but backed by brain research, which I found interesting. I didn't realize how much stress stops you from actually getting the information into your brain! A solid, clear definition of mindfulness is given and plenty of examples on how to include mindfulness in your own life and with your children are given. This book makes you real ...more
Martha Guarisco
Full of practical ideas, Mindful Parenting offers reminders that the things we do for our children as infants--limit screen time, pay attention to sleep patterns, play--continue to hold value for kids as they grow older.

I'd like to implement more mindfulness training in my classroom as well as at home.
Olivia
Bonnes explications sur l'origine et les effets du stress sur notre cerveau. Plusieurs idées d'activités et de gestes à poser avec ses enfants qui sont intéressants et que je tenterai certainement de mettre en pratique. Parfois répétitif et alarmiste.
"Be the person you want your kids to become" (p.142)
Niki
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Makes me want to take up yoga...
Julie
Candace
Apr 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Raising Happiness: 10 Simple Steps for More Joyful Kids and Happier Parents
  • Keep Calm and Parent On: A Guilt-Free Approach to Raising Children by Asking More from Them and Doing Less
  • How Much Is Enough?: Everything You Need to Know to Steer Clear of Overindulgence and Raise Likeable, Responsible and Respectful Ch
  • Becoming the Parent You Want To Be
  • The Kids Will Be Fine: Guilt-Free Motherhood for Thoroughly Modern Women
  • The Soul of Discipline: The Simplicity Parenting Approach to Warm, Firm, and Calm Guidance- From Toddlers to Teens
  • Your Four-Year-Old: Wild and Wonderful
  • The Big Disconnect: Protecting Childhood and Family Relationships in the Digital Age
  • Raising Kids Who Read: What Parents and Teachers Can Do
  • Getting to Calm: Cool-Headed Strategies for Parenting Tweens + Teens
  • The Mindful Child: How to Help Your Kid Manage Stress and Become Happier, Kinder, and More Compassionate
  • The Me, Me, Me Epidemic: A Step-by-Step Guide to Raising Capable, Grateful Kids in an Over-Entitled World
  • The Happiest Baby Guide to Great Sleep: Simple Solutions for Kids from Birth to 5 Years
  • Mindful Discipline: A Loving Approach to Setting Limits and Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child
  • Parenting Without Power Struggles: Raising Joyful, Resilient Kids While Staying Cool, Calm and Connected
  • Buddhism for Mothers: A Calm Approach to Caring for Yourself and Your Children
  • Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids: How to Stop Yelling and Start Connecting
  • Brave Parenting: A Buddhist-Inspired Guide to Raising Emotionally Resilient Children