Start by marking “A Question of Magic” as Want to Read:
A Question of Magic

A Question of Magic

Serafina was living the normal life of a village girl, when she gets a mysterious letter--her first letter ever, in fact--from a great aunt she's never heard of in another village. Little does 'Fina know, her great aunt is actually a Baba Yaga, a magical witch who lives in an even more magical cottage.

Summoned to the cottage, Serafina's life takes an amazing turn as she
Published October 1st 2013 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about A Question of Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Question of Magic

Start your review of A Question of Magic
Kristina
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This adaptation of Baba Yaga mythology was absolutely fantastic! The heroine was smart, conflicted, creative, and REAL. The plot was exciting and well-developed, and the cat was stupendous. I loved every bit of this tale and look forward to rediscovering new magic in its pages in the future!
Stephanie
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
After reading her Frog Princess series(which is my favorite series) years ago, I really wanted to read more from her. Ive had this book on my shelf for years and decided to finally read it for the Reading Rush. Im glad I finally read it. It wasnt as good as Frog Princess but it was a cute, quick read. I love her writing, and her characters. This book was a combination of the Frog Princess and Howls Moving Castle. Ive never read the original Baba Yaga story so it was interesting to learn about ...more
The Winter Rose
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: middle-grade
I'm a huge fan of Slavic mythology so I was excited to read this one when I saw the description. A girl gets transformed into being the next Baba Yaga? I'm in! However, while the concept was interesting, the execution was disappointing.

The basic story is that young Serafina gets a letter from a long lost aunt informing her that she has an inheritance which she must come to collect. When Serafina shows up, she discovers that the "inheritance" is all she is tricked to become the next Baba Yaga - a
Dena (Batch of Books)
This is a beautiful retelling of the legend of Baba Yaga. Serafina is a sweet and unsuspecting girl that goes to meet her long lost great aunt after receiving a letter about an inheritance. She is unknowingly heading to a lifetime of answering questions as the truth telling Baba Yaga.

I had never heard of Baba Yaga until I read this book, and I think that helped me enjoy the story more. The writing is easy to read and entertaining. Getting sucked into this story took zero effort on my part as I
Camille
It was a cool read. Wih this myth, there exists the potential to take a story about Baba Yaga much further than was done herein. Thus, just okay.
E.L.
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: new-in-2014
A passive heroine who did very little throughout the entire story, who just sat back and let events happen to her, a hero we barely saw at all (and who had far more exciting adventures, off-page, than anything that happened on-page), and a cast of characters who remained shadowy throughout.

I love Slavic fairy tales and folklore, and the Baba Yaga is one of those fascinating, eerie characters who both thrills and chills you. Alas, this story had no distinctly Slavic feel to it, and Serafina as
Chanel Sharp
Mom and I loved this book! It was first off this is a tale about Baba Yaga. YES BABA YAGA! Those are hard to find. Believe me mom and I have looked. Mom thought the spin on the Baba Yaga tale was amazing. The heroine was beautiful human, and the curse she carried was truely humbling and thought provoking. The relationship between her and the hero did not take up most of the book, but the parts it partock in were so sweet and had some definite relationship goals. (Mom loved how heroine aging did ...more
Alise Hunt
Apr 01, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was pretty good, despite the fact that serafina almost died😬☠ I totally recommend this book, it is an awesome read!!! ...more
Kristen
I confess I haven't read any of E.D. Baker's books previously, so I went into A Question of Magic without expectations. The idea of taking the story of Baba Yaga and turning it into a full length story was an intriguing idea. Serafina has a quaint and sweet life for the most part, when her great aunt calls her to claim her inheritance. She gets stuck with her brother in law Vicktor to travel with, when she would rather be with the dashing love of her life.

So when she approaches her great aunt's
Suzanne
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-kid-lit, netgalley
Serafina follows the instructions she receives in a letter from her great-aunt, telling her how to collect her inheritance. Little does she know, she has inherited the job of being Baba Yaga! She has no control over her ability to answer questions truthfully for people, even when she is kidnapped an forced to answer questions so that others may charge for her services and get rich. Her travels in the hut on chicken legs carry her throughout the surrounding kingdoms. She meets fairies, nymphs, ...more
 ☘ Fifi's Journey
"She couldn't even tell them about her day-to-day life when that was so beyond anything they could understand."

This was a simple, yet entertaining read. I liked this retelling of Baba Yaga as it is quite different to The Door by the Staircase.
In The Door by the Staircase we actually get to meet the real Baba Yaga but in this story, the real one, is already gone. There are though new Baba Yaga's, as they are taking over the role from the first one to begin with. The real Baba Yaga was a nasty
Beyond the Pages
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is very much the kind of book that gets my imagination going, and that is a good thing. From the cover of the book to the premise of the story, my attention was captured. The way that the author weaved the story was superb! I loved everything about it. She drew me in with her word pictures, leaving an air of mystery at every angle. Excellent!!! This one is truly a keeper for those of us who adore magic, fantasy, and of course romance.

I received an ARC of this book from the publisher via
Cristen
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Seraphina receives a letter from an unknown relative speaking of an inheritance. She soon discovers that she is the next Baba Yaga - a magical being who must answer truthfully one question from anybody who asks - but only one question per person. She is a charming story with a good premise - I just wish the story went past one book.
Nani
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by E.D. Baker.
Alyssa Marie
3.5 stars. It was really cute! Not one of my favorites, but cute all the same!
Celestial
I very much enjoyed this book. I wasn't quite certain at first but this book completely drew me in.

I think this book is a mixture of something Diane Zahler or Patricia C. Wrede would write, along with some of Howl's Moving Castle. This book is basically similar to a lot of my favorite fantasy authors/book.
I love the story. Serafina was a very likeable character as well as all her friends. I love each character, and they fit into the book and story perfectly. The house she lives in is
K.L
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5

I loved E.D Bakers series "The Frog Princess" as a pre-teen/young teen. This completely took me back to those days, what with the hilarious talking skulls and snarky cat, all things I loved back when I was younger. If this book was published 6 years ago, I would have been obsessed. It is a little juvenile, and tastes are quite different now, but it's a fun book.
Susie
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A cute vague introduction and interpretation of the Baba Yaga legend. Really well done with characters (quirky sidekicks for days). The quick conflicts and resolutions keep the story going at a steady pace and the over-arcing conflict that connects the whole thing was well-introduced and resolved effectively. Over all, an enchanting little book and an interesting concept.
Sean Harding
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Whatever the question of magic may be, the answer in this case is exceedingly dull. It was just not a book that I as the reader ever felt involved in or a part of. It was uninteresting and at no point was it compelling to me. I persisted and got over the line, but it was tough going for such a short read really.
Jasmin
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book about an innocent girl Serafina that receives a letter from her long lost aunt. And she becomes the new Baba Yaga. It has an amazing story line and it's perfect for people that love fantasy and myths like me
Nicole
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very different than any I have ever read. I was kind of grossed out by the slulls and bones at the start of the book, but by the end I love them as characters in the book. I loved Fina and really cared for her character. What an interesting story and a fun read.
Shawna
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was a cute read aloud and my girls liked it ...I thought plot wise there were some parts of the story that were kind of random and the pace of the story unfolding was uneven--some slow parts and then a million things happened at once at the end
Sugarrr
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a short little book I found entertaining. A lot more could have been done with the story and I did feel like something was missing because we don't get to meet and talk to the original Baba Yaga but it was still a good book.
silene
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Super interesting!
Loved the storyline, a book I could not put down
Alissa
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great book by a fantastic author! It was clever and curious and sweet. Very fun read.
Fable Thone
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Was a good book, but it could of been better.
Angelina Zheng
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think this was an awesome book, and I loved reading it so much. I was so caught into the book, that it didn't take me so long to finish.
E
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first time I've ever seen a story inspired by Baba Yaga! The book was original, creative, and kept me on the edge of my seat.
Ryan Thalman
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Read this outloud to my six-year old.
Jo-ann Albano
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good light read. First time I was introduced to the Baba Yaga myth 👍
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Sword and Laser: A Question of Magic - Kindle Deal 1 38 Apr 27, 2014 06:58PM

• Grounded: The Adventures of Rapunzel (Tyme #1)
  • Frogged
  • Twice Upon a Time (Half Upon a Time, #2)
  • Once Upon the End (Half Upon a Time, #3)
  • The Thirteenth Princess
  • Frozen: The Junior Novelization
  • Red: The True Story of Red Riding Hood
  • Memory and Magic (Disney Frozen: Anna & Elsa, #2)
  • Disenchanted: The Trials of Cinderella (Tyme, #2)
  • The Hero's Guide to Storming the Castle (The League of Princes, #2)
  • Charmed (Fairy Tale Reform School, #2)
  • Half Upon a Time (Half Upon a Time, #1)
  • Wished (Fairy Tale Reform School #5)
  • Secret Origins (Story Thieves #3)
  • Rump: The True Story of Rumpelstiltskin
  • Jack: The True Story of Jack and the Beanstalk
  • Frozen Olaf's Night Before Christmas Book & CD
  • Pennyroyal Academy (Pennyroyal Academy, #1)
E.D. Baker made her international debut in 2002 with The Frog Princess, which was a Texas Lone Star Reading List Book, A Book Sense Children's Pick, a Florida's Sunshine State Readers List pick & a 2006 Sasquatch Book Award nominee. The Frog Princess inspired the Disney's Princess and the Frog!

E. D. Baker was born in Buffalo, New York and spent most of the next eighteen years in the Town of