Start by marking “Heirs of the Body (Daisy Dalrymple, #21)” as Want to Read:
Heirs of the Body (Daisy Dalrymple, #21)

Heirs of the Body

(Daisy Dalrymple #21)

The Daisy Dalrymple series continues in Heirs of the Body—when one of four potential claimants to the title of Lord Dalrymple dies a sudden, nasty death, the question on everyone’s mind is, “was it murder”?

In the late 1920s in England, The Honourable Daisy Dalrymple Fletcher is recruited to help her cousin Edgar — i.e. the Lord Dalrymple. About to turn fifty, Lord Dalrympl
Published December 10th 2013 by Minotaur Books (first published December 5th 2013)

Anna
The Daisy Dalrymple books are my all-time favourite escapism-and-fluffiness reading: I only discovered them about three years ago, but since then I've worked my way gleefully through all 20 extant novels before having to wait for this one to be written and published.

Of course they're all majorly formulaic: in addition to the description of recurring characters which varies little from book to book*, they nearly always involve a murder** in some upper-class setting***, and while they don't (inten
Olga Godim
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
The latest installment in the Daisy Dalrymple series, this cozy murder mystery was a delight to read. As always, Daisy and her husband Alec Fletcher, the DCI from Scotland Yard, are in the thick of it, but this time, the action takes place too close to Daisy’s heart – in her ancestral home Fairacres. After her father and brother’s death, the estate now belongs to a distant cousin Edward, but unfortunately, he and his wife are childless.
As Edward’s 50th birthday approaches, his lawyer starts loo
FangirlNation
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In Heirs of the Body by Carola Dunn, Daisy Fletcher, younger daughter of the late Viscount Dalrymple, learns that the cousin who has inherited the title from her father has come to realize that, not having any children, he must locate the male-descended next of kin. Edgar has entrusted his solicitor, Tommy Pearson, whom he met through Daisy, with locating the descendants of the distant black sheep of the family. Four people come forward, and Cousin Edgar invites Raymond, a diamond merchant from ...more
Lynn
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this installment. There is a bit of a slow start when all the potential heirs are just names but once everyone gathers at Fairacres, the story really takes off.

The Daisy Dalyrumple books have been my go to the last couple of years for comfort/cheering up reading and I startled to realize I've almost caught up with the series. Here's hoping Carola Dunn keeps writing them for years and years to come! Daisy is a tonic!
Karen Potts
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
Another enjoyable Daisy & Alec adventure involved Daisy's entire family plus lots of kids searching out the perpetrator of several "accidents" & a death. The resolution was not exactly dramatic but the various threads were tied up nicely. My hope is that Ms. Dunn will keep producing these stories indefinitely.
Anne
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun. My first Daisy Dalrymple, now I have many more to read!
Damaskcat
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Daisy Fletcher is asked to get involved in assessing whether or not prospective heirs to what is now her cousin’s estate and title are legitimate. Edgar – the current Viscount Dalrymple – has no children and the estate has to go to the next male heir. Edgar invites the people who believe they are his heir to a house-party to celebrate his own birthday and his solicitor, Tommy Pearson – also a friend of Daisy’s – has to trawl through the paperwork and find out who is the heir.

Daisy and her husban
Larraine
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
The latest in the Daisy Dalrymple series is a fun romp in post WWI Great Britain. Daisy is an "Honorable" but with no money of her own. Her father died without making any provision for her in his will, her elder brother and fiance were both killed in the Great War. Her mother, the dowager Viscountess, lives on the estate that she formerly ruled. Now, Cousin Edgar, a former schoolmaster and his wife, Geraldine, live there. They are pleasant, middle class people who have adapted to their higher es ...more
Nancy
England, late 1920's, upper class Honourable Daisy Dalrymple Fletcher gets involved in her family's search for an heir for the estate her father once ran. Starting at #21 in the series was probably not the best way to be introduced to Daisy and her husband, Detective Chief Inspector Alec Fletcher of Scotland Yard, but I don't think I would have been more interested even starting at the beginning. It was fun and entertaining, but the comparison on the back cover to the Maisie Dobbs series is very ...more
Aoife
Usually I dislike it when crime-novels take ages till the first body appears (even more so in cozies somehow) and there were also one or two Lady Daisy novels that, in my opinion, suffered somewhat from taking a long time to 'set the scene' before the murder finally happens. Not so this one. I was very much glued to the pages even though I had a good idea who the victim would be a while before it happened. Nevertheless the whole story was intriguing enough to keep me reading.
However apart from g
Laura Edwards
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Carola Dunn is at her best right from the start. I just love Daisy! She had me laughing and smiling from beginning to end. And even though the mystery doesn't really kick in until about halfway through the book and I guessed the culprits early on, I didn't mind.
Kimberly Ann
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
From the inside flap: "In the late 1920's in England, the Honorable daisy Dalrymple Fletcher is recruited to help her cousin Edgar, Lord Dalrymple. About to turn 50, his Lordship realizes it is time to find the proper heir to the viscountcy and estate. With the help of the family lawyer, who advertises Empire-wide, they come up with four credible claimants. Edgar invites would-be heirs of the family to Fairacres, the family estate.

With the help of her husband, Scotland yard Detective Alec Fletch
Liz V.
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lord Dalrymple, Daisy's cousin, being without children, has instructed the family solicitor to determine the male heir to the entailed estate. Lady Dalrymple has asked Daisy to help interview the motley collection of contenders, in anticipation of the reveal at Lord Dalrymple's birthday party. Thus, Daisy and her husband, Alec, are on hand when accidents, or not, befall the family.

All of the purported contenders are descendants of a ne'er-do-well son who went off to Jamaica at a time when formal
George
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
21 in the Honorable Daisy Dalrymple (and her husband Scotland Yard Detective chief Inspector Alec Fletcher), magazine writer and heiress (no inheritance due to British entailed system) mystery series. It opens at Easter and ends in August, 1927 with Daisy being called to her ancestral family home, Fairacres, by her cousin who inherited the entailed estate and title to help with identifying who is next in line to inherit since he and wife have no children and to celebrate his 50th birthday. After ...more
Judith Rich
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. I really enjoy these cosy mysteries, even though I know they are fluff. But they are great fun and it's like a nice cup of cocoa in an armchair to read one.

I studied law and love Wills (yes I know that's weird) and find all this inheritance by heirs of the first blood / the half blood etc etc fascinating, especially the historical stuff. And I do love a traditional country house mystery, so this is probably one of my favourite in the series.

I can't believe this is no 21! It seems l
Gwen
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Nice period fiction. Daisy's family is in a twitter, needing to find the next male to secure the line (or, property of Fairacres). To Daisy's pleasure, and her mother's displeasure, she's asked as the family representative (wife of a DCI at Scotland Yard, and a fine sleuth in her own right) to help ferret out the next to inherit.
Todayiamadaisy
Daisy Dalrymple mysteries are always an easy, cosy read. In this one, Daisy is called on to help sort out claimants to her own family's title and estate. And murderous hijinks ensue. Of course.
Pat Beard
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Actually enjoyed this one better than some of the earlier ones. Nice convoluted cast of characters, good plot and satisfying ending.
Andy Smith
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Took a while to get going and the most transparent story-line in the series but still a pleasant tale.
Shelby
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Sharen
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it
If you like reading mysteries set in England during the 1920s, this series offers escapist fun!
GG
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Daisy Dalrymple mystery.
Margaret Haigh
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-challenge
A jolly romp, set in its time and place. Daisy is a real heroine and her family interactions are funny.
Marlene Ackland
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not much.
Josephine
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Daisy, Daisy, always having death around her. This series is becoming far fetched when a civilian keeps being around murder.
Sandi
Mar 19, 2017 added it
Another good daisy read!
Maria Thermann
Jan 03, 2014 rated it liked it
It seemed to me that Carola Dunn's heart wasn't in this one, a novel dedicated to the many readers, who have fallen under the spell of amateur sleuth Daisy Dalrymple. This is less of a "who-dunnit" than a "why-do-it"? At the end of the novel I got the impression the author was washing her hands off the entire Dalrymple-clan with a heartfelt "good riddance".

Plot:

Daisy, who invites confidences wherever she goes, because of her "guileless blue eyes", or so her husband Detective Inspector Alec Fletc
Eva
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
When Daisy’s father, Viscount Dalrymple, died in the flu epidemic, the title (and the money) passed to his distant cousin Edgar. Since Edgar and his wife don’t have any children, they hired a lawyer to find the next heir to the viscountcy. After searching long and wide, in England, Jamaica, and South Africa among other places, several candidates were found and invited to Fairacres, the family seat. Daisy and Alec attend as well – they’ve been asked to use their detective skills to find out which ...more
Lynne
Mar 05, 2014 rated it liked it
When it comes to mysteries I like to mix in some lighter fare with the dark stuff, and for that I usually turn to either cozies or historical mysteries. One of my favourite historical mysteries released in 2013 is Heirs of the Body. Heirs of the Body is the 21st book in the Daisy Dalrymple mystery series and it’s a good one. I love that it's set in the 1920s (one of my favourite decades) and in England because we get to see a bit of what it was like for an English woman back then. Though I think ...more
Madison Mega-Mara...: #47 - Heirs of the Body 1 3 Mar 20, 2014 07:21AM
  • Dandy Gilver and a Bothersome Number of Corpses (Dandy Gilver, #7)
  • Strangled in Paris: A Victor Legris Mystery
  • Detroit Shuffle
  • Miss Dimple Picks a Peck of Trouble (Miss Dimple Kilpatrick #4)
  • Skating Under the Wire (Rebecca Robbins, #4)
  • Moriarty Returns a Letter (Baker Street Letters, #4)
  • The Royal Assassin (Victorian Bookshop Mystery #3)
  • The Late Scholar (Lord Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane, #4)
  • Cuts Through Bone (Guthrie and Vasquez Mystery, #1)
  • Through the Window (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #12.5)
  • Death Comes to the Village (Kurland St. Mary Mystery, #1)
  • The Seventh Trumpet (Sister Fidelma, #23)
  • Blood Orange
  • Never Laugh As a Hearse Goes By (Penny Branigan #5)
  • Nobody's Sweetheart Now: The First Lady Adelaide Mystery
  • Mrs. Jeffries on the Ball (Mrs. Jeffries, #5)
  • Regulated for Murder (Michael Stoddard American Revolution Mystery #2)
  • Duck the Halls (Meg Langslow, #16)
Carola Dunn is the author of more than 30 Regency romances, as well as 16 mysteries (the Daisy Dalrymple mystery series is set in England in the 1920s). Ms. Dunn was born and grew up in England, where she got a B.A. in Russian and French from Manchester University. She travelled as far as Fiji before returning to settle in California. After 30 years in the US, she says she still sounds as if she a ...more

Daisy Dalrymple (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple, #1)
  • The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple, #2)
  • Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple, #3)
  • Murder on the Flying Scotsman (Daisy Dalrymple, #4)
  • Damsel in Distress (Daisy Dalrymple, #5)
  • Dead in the Water (Daisy Dalrymple, #6)
  • Styx and Stones (Daisy Dalrymple, #7)
  • Rattle His Bones (Daisy Dalrymple, #8)
  • To Davy Jones Below (Daisy Dalrymple, #9)
  • The Case of the Murdered Muckraker (Daisy Dalrymple, #10)