Start by marking “Camino de Santiago: To Walk Far, Carry Less” as Want to Read:
Camino de Santiago: To Walk Far, Carry Less

Camino de Santiago: To Walk Far, Carry Less

Because most people who walk the Camino are not seasoned backpackers, or even long-distance hikers, Camino de Santiago: To Walk Far, Carry Less offers information to help would-be pilgrims prepare.
Paperback, 1, 190 pages
Published 2011 by Walk Far Media

To ask other readers questions about Camino de Santiago, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Camino de Santiago

Liralen
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it
To Walk Far, Carry Less is about 5 percent memoir and 95 percent packing tips for backpackers, tailored specifically to the Camino de Santiago. (The Camino is different from bog-standard backpacking primarily because almost all pilgrims stay in hostels, so there's no need for tents, and the high number of villages and towns one walks through means that a lot of things can be carried in very small quantities and replenished as needed.)

If you're looking for a single packing guide, this isn't a bad
Nilesite
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I recommend this book everywhere. Great packing advice - great life advice!
Cathy
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Boy oh boy. Though this book is really helpful, I have never been so stressed out while reading a book. While the author talked about carrying a lighter load to walk the Camino, it seemed that my packing list grew longer and longer! There are many great ideas of things to carry. Still, I will have sort through all these ideas in order to whittle my backpack weight down to 10% of my body weight. Some especially helpful pointers were to cut out useless pages from guidebooks, to get travel-size toi ...more
Paulamoney
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for the prep phase of your Camino

No details of the trip per se but by following these tips you will greatly increase your pilgrimage experience during your trek. The main theme is how to pack your backpack(rucksack) so that you take only what you absolutely need. Keep in mind, the author says, that Spain is a first world country and you can purchase nearly everything along the way.
I felt this book was very useful in preparing for my own Camino pilgrimage.
Kindle Version.

Lisa Sophia
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent guide on what to pack & why. Made me really think about what to take and how much it weighs. My camino will be much better for having read this book. Buen camino.
Mary
Jun 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Bought this book as I am toying with the idea of walking the Camino De Santiago next year. Book is a really easy read and helpful if perhaps a little extreme in how light to pack for the walk. Although, not having done the walk, perhaps it is not so extreme and I really need to consider how to squeeze ounces out of the backpack. Narrative seems to give a realistic view of the travel, warns to be ready for days of rain and sleeping on the floor. I will keep the book and review again before leavin ...more
Amanda
Feb 06, 2014 rated it liked it
If you are new at backpacking and need a guide to help you acquire your materials, this is a good place to start. Although the author directs most of her advice to pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago, it is also applicable for other scenarios as well!
Lucy Longpath
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found this book useful when I was planning my trip on the Camino Frances (Camino de Santiago). It had useful tips for packing especially if you have not done this type of walking before. It is definitely true that if you want to walk far on the Camino you need to carry less!!
Shannon Grover
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very informative and helpful for planning my Camino.
Anne Lawrence
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great information. Well worth the money. So many practical suggestions and the best advice for walking the Camino I have read.
Jason Pryde