Start by marking “Hitler, mon voisin : souvenirs d'un enfant juif” as Want to Read:
Hitler, mon voisin : souvenirs d'un enfant juif

Hitler, mon voisin : souvenirs d'un enfant juif

Note de l'éditeur

Âgé de 5 ans, Edgar Feuchtwanger, fils unique d’un éditeur juif, a une enfance heureuse dans la ville de Munich. C’est un petit Allemand insouciant, choyé par ses parents et sa nounou, lorsque Adolf Hitler, chef du Parti national socialiste, s’installe dans l’immeuble d’en face.

En 1933 se brise le bonheur de cette vie sans nuage. Hitler est nommé chancelie
Published January 10th 2013 by Michel Lafon (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Hitler, mon voisin , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hitler, mon voisin

Filter: 5 stars
SundayAtDusk
The main theme of this book sounds like something a Jewish comedienne in the 1960s could have created. ("Hey, did I tell you Hitler lived across the street from me when I was growing up in Germany during the 1930s? Seriously, it's true! Ask my mother! I can't tell you how many times she told me 'Do not trample on the flowers in Herr Hitler's yard'!") Of course, being a Jewish child living so close to Hitler was anything but funny during the 1930s, yet this is not a book of constant fear or terro ...more
Michelle Kidwell

Hitler, My Neighbor
Memories of a Jewish Childhood, 1929-1939
by Edgar Feuchtwanger, Bertil Scali

Other Press

Biographies & Memoirs

Pub Date 07 Nov 2017

I am reviewing a copy of Hitler, My Neighbor through Other Press and Netgalley:

In 1933 the joy of Edgar Feuchtwanger untroubled life comes to an end. He is the only son of a respected editor and the nephew of best selling author Lion Feuchtwanger, but he is a Jew and in 1933 when Hitler is named Chancellor his family looses all rights.

Edgar was on
Nissa
Excellent read. Fast paced, historical in content. Worth the read. Would recommend as reading material for middle school students. If you like WWII history you will enjoy this book.
John McDonald
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What struck me as much as anything about this small and powerful memoir were how the quotes from Adolph Hitler's Mein Kampf displayed at the beginning of each chapter, written almost 80 years ago, seemed to parallel to the word much of what Donald Trump says, not about Jews, but about immigrants and people from the countries he considers "shitholes." As most things not destroyed moved in cycles, it is unsurprising that someone like Trump would make an appearance on the leadership stage. What is ...more
Kirk G. Meyer
The book is a chilling look into how people were reacting to the rise of Hitler. And how a country slowly turned against the Jewish people. All through the eyes of a small boy whose innocence disappear over the course of ten years. It is an eerie sight into today’s world as well.
Alisse
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book fascinating. It’s written from the perspective of a young boy; one who spends his childhood looking out on Hitler’s Munich home. It reads like the diary entries of a child, with lots of recalled dialogue and conversations of the adults (his parents and other influential Germans and dignitaries) that surround him. It makes for a fast read in that sense. But the intimate look at who Hitler is and how he affects the Jewish family living literally under his nose is unlike anything ...more
Joe Sampson
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nazism, autobiography
Very interesting autobiography of someone who as a child lived for ten years in a house close to Hitler's. As a Jew he was persecuted by the Nazis and fled Germany for Britain in 1939.
Tom
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It practically read itself! Timely historical information on living through regime change and governmental coups! I recommend for all free-thinking Sparticans!
Chris
Teodora
Jan 07, 2017
Christine
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Nazi rise to power told from the perspective of a young Jewish boy in Munich , with Adolf Hitler as his neighbour. As a young boy, historian Edgar Feuchtwanger watched the events unfold from his window, including the arrest of his father. It is a very moving book and I would highly recommend it.

Paul Waters