Start by marking “The Witch Sisters (The Taker, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
The Witch Sisters (The Taker, #2.5)

The Witch Sisters

(The Taker Trilogy #2.5)

In the magical fens wood, Adair meets a pair of sister witches who turn out to be more—much more—than he bargained for in this short story, a prequel to the third book in The Taker Trilogy, THE DESCENT.
Published January 13th 2013 by Alma Katsu

To ask other readers questions about The Witch Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witch Sisters

Kelly
Sep 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
O Adair...I hope this comes back on you in book 3.
Tania
May 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: bookclub, fantasy
Although I enjoyed The Witch Sisters, I really struggle getting into a story when it's this short and new characters are introduced. Can't wait for book three.
Mina De Caro (Mina's Bookshelf)
This novella was a lovely treat for all the Taker Trilogy fans and a great introduction to the final chapter of this amazing fantasy. I'll miss Adair...he is the most lovable, charming, adorably complex, fascinating villain I have encountered in fiction in recent years. I would love to see him redeem himself: the biggest the sins the sweetest the redemption.
Serena
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Witch Sisters by Alma Katsu is an e-short story spin-off from The Taker series that continues the Gothic feel of her previous novels. Adair finds himself in England on a nervous steed as he gallops through fens wood, a forest of many superstitions and secrets. He seems to be still be on his journey to acquire magical knowledge, but he’s also already begun collect his consorts. In the darkest of evenings, Adair meets Penthy, a fair-haired young woman, who lures him back to her cottage that sh ...more
Sonja Arlow
3 stars

I got this short novella, which is a side story to The Taker, FREE on Amazon……. Its ok go get your copy….you can read my review later

It’s a very quick read about a short detour Adair takes while traveling. The purpose was purely to remind me how engaging and slightly dark this author’s writing is and why I loved the first two books in this series so much.
Christine_v
A short story about Adair. I haven't read the other books so I didn't understand fully the character. I found him arrogant and didn't like him. The sisters' story wasn't very detailed so I couldn't connect with them either.
Maybe if I'd known the story from the other books, as well, I'd find it more interesting.
Rebecca Mena
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great quick read! I really enjoy stories based around magical and witchcraft. This one is different and it is a fast read! I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
Rachel
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very short story, available for free as an ebook, that includes a back story of Adair. 4/5
Tracy Goretzki
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Once again, another great read. I just wish it was longer.......I know it was a short story but it was still sad that it was over so soon.
Pauline
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: supernatural
Like the stars say, it was okay.
Eric
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An ok novella. If meant to be read separately as an encouragement to check out the series, it doesn’t quite succeed for me- the craft (even at the basic level of syntax and grammar) is below-average, the workd-building is ok but the characters are somewhat derivative even to the protagonist’s indestructability and assured lifespan and witch-sisters vaguely reminiscent of Conan comic books and elsewhere (though fortunately only vaguely- but still) - etc. If you’re already reading this series I do ...more
S.L. Baron
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, short-works
I'd not read any of Katsu's other books before downloading this story, so I was a little in the dark about who the characters were and what their world was like, but it didn't stop me from enjoying the story. I am intrigued by the sisters in this and, as another reviewer mentioned, would have liked to have learned more about them, but I think that only made me more curious about the author's fictional world. I will definitely be adding Katsu's books to my TBR pile!
Angela Maher
May 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
An unusual little story. I haven't read the other books, but it was still interesting. Parts of it feel too brief, however. I know it's intended to be a short story, but perhaps it would have been better with a larger word count.
Fiona
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Short addition to A’s history
Carolina
Apr 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Originally Published at: A Girl that Likes Books

First impression

I really liked the two first book of this trilogy so I was quite eager to finish it. I am happy I read the short story The Witch Sisters since it gave more context to what was happening in the third and final book. I was a bit disappointed with the story of the latter however; there is more about Adair's past and it was interesting to see Lanore "confront her demons" but...there was something missing; the darkness present in the pre
Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog)
3.5 Stars

I wasn’t sure what to expect out of this short story, and I really had to think about what this novella means for The Taker Trilogy. Okay, maybe I thought too much of this but I was trying to mentally prepare myself for what is to come when I read the last of The Taker Trilogy. This novella is a short story of Adair’s extracurricular activities. Well, one story anyway.

Adair ventures off to a country and meets two sisters who are into witchery. He engages with them and of course has sex
Ruby Madden
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Bames
May 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Alma Katsu's The Witch Sisters is a short story that is a part of The Taker series. It is a stand alone short story meant to whet the reader's appetite for the next book in the series.

The story revolves around Adair travelling around England and finding himself in a rather forbidding wood late one evening. As he was making his way through, he meets a young woman who convinces him to stay the night at their home. Adair, being the man that he is, considers the idea to be a good one especially aft
Nerine Dorman
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Adair comes across quite... restrained... in this short offering if I consider his attitude in books one and two of the series. The witch sisters are alternately beguiling and disconcerting, and the author suggests there's a lot more going on behind the scenes than Adair expects. Indeed, this is foreshadowing for Lanore's eventual betrayal, if you ask me. Overall, this story is embroidery to decorate the overall saga. I'll be curious to see if the witch sisters ever make a comeback. My only grip ...more
Lavinyaa Pash
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2014, 2-stars
I was excited for this one.
The cover is beautiful.
The title sounds cool.
The plot was interesting.

But everything was in vain.
The contents of the book, the whole thing with Adair and the sisters, just made everything lose its flavor. It was gross. I even shelved it as that.

I read some reviews and I am ashamed that other people can't realize that if you put up three characters in a forest in a magical universe and a sexual fantasy, the result isn't cool!

Sorry about it!

And because I must justify to
Naomi
Feb 12, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a great short story buy Alma as a filler to her "The Taker" series. I thought she went back to her dark roots in this one. It was a bit more graphic in regards to sexual situations, but thought that was right back along the lines of her first book in the series. I loved it!! Loved it more because it was 24 pages and free to boot on Smashwords. Now bring on book 3The Descent!
Anna Zollinger
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
The story was interesting, but I'm certainly a bit angry it was so short. Honestly, I'm getting very tired of short stories under 100 pages being sold in the kindle stores.

This very easily could have just been added to the 3rd book instead of selling it separately. I will never understand splitting things up like this. It's just a pet peeve of mine that people publish such short stories on anything other than a blog meant for promotions, or instead of including them as a legitimate prequel to th
Jesse Houwing
Apr 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
These short stories seem to either contain a lot of the violence or a lot of the explicit sexually tinted content and only a very small piece of story. This story ended a little sudden for me. I think that even one or a few phrase(s) telling how Adair continued his trip into the forest, slowly leaving the sisters behind musing over what had happened to him, then slowly taking his mind off them and letting the scent of the forest and his next hunt come over him , would have really added to the st ...more
Florentina
This is a really good short story I loved it....Reading this just make me want to read the last book in the trilogy and I am so glad we will still get to read about the witch sisters in "The Descent".....well I hope we will....Also Adair is actually the 1st villain in a novel I have ever loved and I am so gonna miss him after the last book...5 stars from me Alma Katsu. Cause you definitely deserve it.
Marissa
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, e-books
Free download. This was entertaining but overall entirely too shorts. I realize that's the point, it's a novella, but 60 pages is barely enough time to develop the characters to the point of engaging the reader. I think I would have been able to give this a 4 or maybe even 5 stars if the author had time to develop the plot. I felt like this just left way too many questions. Guess I'll have to check out the other Taker novels.
Eskimo Princess Jenkins
I got this book because it was part of The Taker series.
We do get a glimpse of a bit of past of Adair. He meets up with two witches and stays with them for a time. And that is about all we get.
I admit this short story is a decent read to go with the series, but not a must read. But if you really need more Adair then grab this, it will give you a hold over til we finally get book 3 in the series.
Suleika Santana -All About Books
This was a very quick read. It was different but good. I liked both sisters even though they were very different, not just in looks but personalities. I wish Adair had decided to stay in the end and maybe picked one of them to teach them the spells but because of how the author ended the story I believe we will be getting more in the next installment.
I liked the authors writing style and will definitely be reading more from her.
Ria
This is a Novella so remember its short. We see Adair in the company of two sisters and its quite the escapade. It was free so why on earth wouldn’t you pick this up. Ms Katsu’s writing is magical and we feel every experience. The two sisters are enchanting and its kind of nice to see Adair without his usual followers. I have some questions that need answers but I’m assuming I will get those in The Descent. I’m super excited that I get to go pick it up NOW!! Eeeep!!!
Stacy
Feb 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Honestly, that rating is probably a tad high, but I'm assuming the story is going to have more meaning once the third book is released. This reads like an excised chapter, not a standalone story, which can sometimes be entertaining if you already know what follows, but in this case it's just a bland episode of which you don't yet know the significance, unless the was something in The Reckoning which I've completely forgotten.
Nicole
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I found the story interesting, but was disappointed by the lack of depth of character to the characters in the story. I may be overly critical though, seeing as it was only a short story and there was little time to develop characters. Anyway, this was interesting to read. I may or may not read the next book of the series.

• The Faery Hunt
  • No Such Thing as Immortality
  • Haunted Moon (Moon Coven, #0.5)
  • Fearless Leader (Juxtapose City #1)
  • The Den (Vampire's Witch Saga, #1)
  • Dance Of The Goblins (The Goblin, #1)
  • Spring (Lakebridge #1)
  • A Month with Werewolves (A Month with Werewolves #1)
  • Cupid's Cupcake
  • Underneath
  • Alone (Vampires and the Life of Erin Rose, #2)
  • Lauren
  • Daisy Madigan's Paradise (Morgan Sisters, #1.5)
  • Jessica
  • Fallen (Descendants Saga, #1)
  • Renegade (Devoncroix Dynasty, #3)
  • Dark Knight in Disguise I (Earthbound Angels, #1)
  • Endurance (Afterlife, #3)
"Hard to put down. Not recommended reading after dark." -- Stephen King

"Makes the supernatural seem possible" -- Publishers Weekly

NPR 100 Favorite Horror Stories

Author of THE HUNGER, a reimagining of the Donner Party's tragic journey (Putnam);
THE TAKER, THE RECKONING and THE DESCENT (Gallery Books). The Taker was selected by ALA/Booklist as one of the top ten debut novels of 2011.

The Taker Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Taker (The Taker, #1)
  • The Reckoning (The Taker, #2)
  • The Descent (The Taker, #3)
“woman’s shape under her midnight blue cloak. The cloak had made her invisible in the darkness, but up close he saw that she had golden blonde hair, so luminous that it glowed under the velvet hood. He found her attractive but sensed there was something strange about her, that she was” 0 likes