Start by marking “Renée of France (Bitesize Biographies)” as Want to Read:
Renée of France (Bitesize Biographies)

Renée of France

(Bitesize Biographies)

The influence of the Protestant Reformation still
permeates much of our Western culture. At the same
time, our popular perception of that complex, fluid, and
transformative time is often rigid and simplistic. Perhaps it
might be easier to grasp if we try to experience it through
the struggles, desires, perplexities, convictions, and quests
of someone who lived though it — in thi
Published January 8th 2013 by Evangelical Press

To ask other readers questions about Renée of France, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Renée of France

Start your review of Renée of France (Bitesize Biographies)
Jeanie
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bio-historical
A complimentary review copy was provided to me by Cross Focused Reviews (A Service of Cross Focused Media, LLC). I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

A short account of Renee of France who lived during the 1500. The region was strictly Catholic and with that any reform in Christianity was not met favorably and that is saying it lightly. Renee's life is not well documented, however with letters from John Calvin and others, Simonetta Carr did ver
Schuyler
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hugely impressed with both books I've read by Simonetta Carr. I love this story of Renee of France, and it was a vital resource for creating my own lesson on her life as I wrote a set on Women of the Reformation.
Dave Jenkins
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Renee of France was royalty in France during the Protestant Reformation, a period of time in church history renown for men such as Luther, Calvin and more. Of particular interest to Simonetta in her book titled Renee of France is the correspondence of John Calvin, that great Reformer to Renee. As the author weaves the history of the Protestant Reformation with the story of Renee, she masterfully highlights in narrative form a great need for Christians today, which is for Christians to speak the ...more
Raquel Evans
The author did a decent job telling this story considering the lack of first hand information, and I did enjoy getting more details about a side character in the Reformation era who I was previously unfamiliar with.

To be honest though, I really didn't find Renee to be that interesting of a person. She appears to be a sincere Christian who did some good things and some ill advised things, and experienced some hard times, and was just not that inspiring to me.
Leah
3 1/2 stars

Following the heels reading Bonds historical fiction on Luther made this book seem much more dry and less engaging. I probably would have liked it more had I read it after a different book. As it is I can appreciate the good and straight forward account given of Renee's life. The history and insight to her instability to stand firm on all fronts portrayed her as very human. She was not a heroine that inspires great feelings to do more, but you can sympathize with her, even if she come
Harold Cameron
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
“Renée of France is little known today, but this fascinating and often controversial woman was a correspondent of Calvin. She loved the Reformation, but in sixteenth century Italy such a position could not be lightly held. Add in a husband (the Duke of Ferrara) who served the pope and was determined to oppose Renée, plus the complexity and intrigues of Italian society of the time, and you have all the ingredients for a gripping biography.” (From the EP Books Website)

About the Author: Simonetta C
Mathew
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of Biography
As a lover of biography and a father of two beautiful daughters, I’m always eager to find good books about women that my daughters can read. Renée of France didn’t disappoint. It was short, to the point, and packed with interesting tidbits. Carr explains the core emphasis of this biography,
Although Renée belonged to the nobility of that time, the course of events kept her focused on some basic questions of faith — the same ones that many of us face. (p. 13)
It’s true I’ve never faced many of the
Debbie
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
"Renée of France" is a biography about a noblewoman, Renée of France (1510-1575). She was a princess of France who was married to a duke of Italy, and she lived during the Protestant Reformation. She wrote to and received letters from John Calvin about some of the questions of faith that she was dealing with.

Renée used her wealth and influence to provide a refuge to Protestants while she was in Italy and, after she returned to France, during the French Wars of Religion. Still, some Protestants w
Leslie Christopher
I love these little biographies! I had never heard of Renee.....a 16th century Protestant nobelewoman living in Catholic Italy who had a longstanding pastoral relationship with John Calvin. Their letters survive.....Sheds much needed light on Calvin, a warm hearted pastor who is much maligned by an unfair caricature.
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love to see that good, substantive, engaging church history is being written for a popular audience!

A more extensive review can be read here: http://awonderfulprovidence.blogspot....
Heather
Dec 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Renee of France will not be one of my "heroes" but it is a good reminder that God uses even weak people. And I am thankful for a biographer who admits those weaknesses instead of pretending they don't exist, choosing to give us an inspiring, but ultimately dishonest, look at their subject's life.
Dana
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This Bite Size Biography of Renee of France was just enough to sink my teeth into and get a taste of an amazing Housewife Theologian from the 16th century. I highly recommend it.
Alan Davey
Deon
Jan 01, 2016
Margie
Mar 05, 2018
How can Christians today identify with Renée of France? 1 2 Jan 29, 2013 07:43AM

• The Messiah And The Psalms
  • There's Treasure Everywhere (Calvin and Hobbes #10)
  • Scientific Progress Goes "Boink" (Calvin and Hobbes #6)
  • Fortunate Beasts (Letters for Lucardo)
  • The Devils of Loudun
  • The Proper Care and Feeding of Singles: How Pastors, Marrieds, and Church Leaders Effectively Support Solo Members
  • The Christian Life: A Doctrinal Introduction
  • Recovering from Biblical Manhood and Womanhood: How the Church Needs to Rediscover Her Purpose
  • Worthy: Celebrating the Value of Women
  • &, volume 1
  • &, volume 2
  • Monster and the Beast, Vol. 1
  • & 3 (&, #3)
Simonetta Carr was born in Italy and has lived and worked in different cultures. A former elementary school teacher, she has home-schooled her eight children for many years. She has written for newspapers and magazines around the world and has translated the works of several authors into Italian. Presently, she lives in San Diego with her husband Thomas and family. She is a member and Sunday Schoo ...more

Bitesize Biographies (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • John Chrysostom
  • William Farel (Bitesize Biographies)
  • Joseph Addison Alexander (Bitesize Biographies)
  • Augustus Toplady (Bitesize Biography)
  • Thomas Cranmer (Bitesize Biographies)
  • Samuel Rutherford (Bitesize Biographies)
  • Francis Schaeffer
  • Matthew Henry (Bitesize Biographies)
  • Dr David Martyn Lloyd-Jones
  • John Newton (Bitesize Biographies)