Start by marking “The Norton Anthology of Modern Poetry” as Want to Read:
The Norton Anthology of Modern Poetry

The Norton Anthology of Modern Poetry

Works by American and British writers illuminate the development of modern poetry.
Published December 31st 1988 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published January 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Norton Anthology of Modern Poetry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Norton Anthology of Modern Poetry

Charles Bechtel
Dec 03, 2012 Charles Bechtel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Poets and Poetry lovers
Welcome to the graveyard of forgotten poets. About half of theses poets have been obliterated from discussions, another third hang on as historically important, and about 20% heralded as Ist-icons of other some -Ism. Although Norton has selected a number of the most topical and respected poets of the early twentieth century, and some late twentieth, the book is only worth having because it has so many poems in it. If you like poetry, own a Norton.

By the way, nobody "reads" this book. They wend t
Robyn
Oct 07, 2009 Robyn rated it really liked it
This sucker helped me breeze through the modernist stuff on the lit test. It's got enough biographical info and info about how critics classify the poets to help you remember the difference between similar dudes (and dudettes), and most of the poems are exemplary of their styles. A great primer, and a great book to have if you don't plan on buying volumes and volumes of modernist poems!
Gary McDowell
Sep 11, 2007 Gary McDowell rated it liked it
Right now (9/11/07), it's Whitman, Dickinson, and the intro. Soon it'll be Eliot, Pound, Stevens, Williams, etc.

Now (9/13/07) it's time for 55 pages of micro-sized print William Butler Yeats. Oh boy.
Sana
May 07, 2017 Sana rated it it was amazing
Love the Walt Whitman poems.
J. Alfred
Dec 09, 2011 J. Alfred rated it liked it
Can we all just agree that anthologies are helpful things to have on one's shelf, but ultimately unsatisfying? They never go in-depth enough on the authors one likes, and seem to stretch out forever on authors one wants nothing to do with. Oh well: they're also great introducers of authors one didn't know (or know well enough) before. The guys on this list that I met in this book include Brother Antoninus, Sigfreid Sassoon, Marianne Moore, Denise Levertov, WH Auden, and Delmore Schwartz. Also, e ...more
Lynda
May 13, 2009 Lynda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay, truth be told I do not like much modern poetry. A few years ago after on of my long recoveries from surgery, I went through this anthology to see if any poets appealed to me that I might want to read further. There were a few, also a few I liked a lot, but I still like the older poets better.
Nice
Oct 17, 2008 Nice rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This is a book for your library that you constantly refer back to, that helps introduce you to some of the greatest poet living and dead. I am so thankful my Poetry Writing Prof made us buy this. Shoutout to John Matthias at the University of Notre Dame. I will always be currently reading this book.
carl  theaker
Oct 06, 2010 carl theaker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: artsy

Had to purchase for, what else? Modern poetry class, and glad I did, kept
after college. Have read through this and that passage many times, a great
book to keep at the bedside, pick a poet fer an eve, after dark and before
the dawn surprises you.
Philip
Feb 26, 2011 Philip rated it really liked it
I may never actually finish this book as it's an anthology, I pick it up every once in a while to re-read favorite poems that are included and new ones I haven't encountered yet. This is an outstanding collection.
Amanda
Jul 09, 2012 Amanda added it
Shelves: poetry
i love anthologies, am a collector of them. i purchased this one used for my poetry courses at U of Ottawa about 12 years ago & i return to it often. this summer i've decided to revisit the dead, so this is a perfect book for such. Sweet, sweet, sweet, sweet, sweet tea, Susie Assado...
Derek H
Feb 08, 2008 Derek H rated it did not like it
Eew.
Kate
Nov 27, 2007 Kate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This is a bookshelf basic as far as I'm concerned.
Cage
Aug 01, 2011 Cage rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Awesome awesome selection. Cannot rate it highly enough.
Ian
Aug 23, 2008 Ian rated it it was amazing
Just open anywhere and learn something!
Foxygiraffe
Sep 20, 2008 Foxygiraffe rated it really liked it
Ok, obviously I haven't read the WHOLE thing, but it's on my shelf.
Erin Riggio
Sep 14, 2007 Erin Riggio rated it really liked it
Oh, Norton, how I love thee. These anthologies are awesome--both for the great works they include and for the interesting information about authors.
Shel
Jan 07, 2009 Shel rated it it was amazing
Bought it in college, still the best one anthology I've got -- and written all over!
Chris
Jan 18, 2010 Chris is currently reading it
currently reading, ad infinitum. ask joe sacksteader
Suzanne Arcand
Suzanne Arcand rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2013
Ginger Hamilton
Ginger Hamilton rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2012
Anthony A
Anthony A rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2011
Leetta Angel
Leetta Angel rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2012
Sofia Khan
Sofia Khan rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2015
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2016
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
May 30, 2012
Johnny B3
Johnny B3 rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2012
Adrian Skinner
Adrian Skinner rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2014
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
May 25, 2008
Dale
Dale rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2011
Sonia Maria
Sonia Maria rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2013
  • Postmodern American Poetry: A Norton Anthology
  • The Norton Anthology of Poetry
  • The Norton Anthology of Short Fiction
  • The Norton Anthology of American Literature: v. 1
  • The Norton Anthology of World Masterpieces
  • The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Volume 2: The Romantic Period through the Twentieth Century
  • The Norton Anthology Of Literature By Women: The Traditions In English
  • Poems for the Millennium, Vol. 1: Modern and Postmodern Poetry from Fin-de-Siècle to Negritude
  • Americans' Favorite Poems: The Favorite Poem Project Anthology
  • The Works of John Donne (Poetry Library)
  • The Best Poems of the English Language: From Chaucer Through Frost
  • The New Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics
  • The Poems
  • Literature: An Introduction to Fiction, Poetry, and Drama
  • The Making of a Poem: A Norton Anthology of Poetic Forms
  • A Book of Women Poets: From Antiquity to Now
  • The Complete Poems
  • Contemporary American Poetry
Richard David Ellmann was a prominent American literary critic and biographer of the Irish writers James Joyce, Oscar Wilde, and William Butler Yeats. Ellmann's James Joyce (1959), for which he won the National Book Award in 1960, is considered one of the most acclaimed literary biographies of the 20th century and the 1982 revised edition of the work was similarly recognised with the award of the ...more
More about Richard Ellmann...