Start by marking “Inherent Gifts” as Want to Read:
Inherent Gifts

Inherent Gifts

(Hojer - Inherent Gifts #1)

Novel (164,000 words)
Genre(s): Gay, Suspense, Science Fiction, Romance, Paranormal

Life was never the same again after The Fall, especially for those born with certain gifts that set them apart from others. Gifts that doomed those like Wren to a life of slavery with no hope of escape or turned a man like Jere into an unwilling master. When a fiery tragedy brings Jere into W
Published January 31st 2013 by Fantastic Fiction Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Inherent Gifts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inherent Gifts

Captive Prince by C.S. PacatDuck! by Kim DareBloodraven by P.L. NunnCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatConcubine by Jill Knowles
Best Gay Slaves
257 books — 1,000 voters
Concubine by Jill KnowlesBloodraven by P.L. NunnI, Omega by Kari GreggThe Emperor's Wolf by J.C. OwensGaven by J.C. Owens
Best M/M dubcon
84 books — 154 voters

More lists with this book...

Shelley
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of slave fiction.
THIS IS A NEW-TO-ME-AUTHOR REVIEW FOR BOYS IN OUR BOOKS

It wasn’t easy finding a debut author of 2013 that our team hasn’t read and reviewed yet. I discarded sample after sample in search of a decent read. And then I found this one; an interesting and compelling piece of slave fiction that turned out to be something totally unexpected, which is always good where I’m concerned. How this author, a winner of The Rainbow award for Best debut gay Sci-fi (2013) has flown under our radar for almost a y
Juxian
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: abused, slavery, ptsd
4,5 stars.
Really enjoyed this book. It's 1200 pages long but for once you won't hear me complaining that "it could've been shorter". The story is practically an embodiment of my favorite comfort/kink fantasy: a good guy unwillingly becomes an owner of a very abused slave. What can I say... yeah baby, it so rocks my boat. And to read it in the form of a developed, neatly written, deliciously slow-burn and thorough story was a real joy.
I read 'Demoted' series by Alicia Cameron a while ago, and ev
Ayanna
4.5/5 ETA: Actually, probably more like 3.5 rounded up. The ending bothered me more than I originally thought. See below.

Damn. Talk about mother of all slow burns. But I actually kind of liked it like that. You really got to know the characters. The concepts that Cameron explores here are rather intriguing, although I'm annoyed that she introduces a new-ish idea of sorts towards the end of the book, but just leaves it at that. Series set up?

I love the way Cameron progresses the story. Quite a lo
agirlwithoutwings
Jun 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, abuse, slaves, dystopia, dark
A very slow healing book in a dystopian world. Though the society pictured here is really awful, and there are some horrible people, you’ll find some nice parts in the story. I liked the MCs and their connection too, but I think it could have been better if it was a bit more compact.

Also, I had problem figuring out this whole system of society and its relation with gifted people. (view spoiler)
Line
Phew, this one was TOUGH!

The world collapsed after the evolution of mind- and physical gifts. Examples of mind gifts are: healing or sensing other's gifts. Examples of physical gifts are: strength, speed and organisation.
In some states in the US of A all gifts are appreciated and celebrated and everybody can live their lives. In other states the people with physical gifts are seen as dangerous and they are made slaves. This after the creepy -and ALL too real- idea that if we restrict some minor
Melissa Mendoza
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 inherent stars! What a complete mindbend....

This book was definitely different to say the least. This isn't my usual genre, but the blurb sounded interesting so I thought why not.... Overall this book is really good, just a little different. In this world people inherit gifts that make them unique and sets them apart form others. Jere is now an unlikely master, and isn't sure what to do with that. Wren is now Jere's slave and has to come to terms with a master who has no clue what he's doing
Silkeeeeeereads
To me, Inherent Gifts is more of an emotionally charged dark read. This world the author built seemed like it was almost like the days before the Civil War in American but with the addition of paranormal gifts that people were born with. The things people did to each other was sad and just wrong. It was an excellent read except for the ending. The ending felt rushed and unsatisfying.
Clodia Metelli
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: glbt, science-fiction
My review can be found here http://clodiametelli.wordpress.com/20....
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
A review by The Blogger Girls.

This story takes place in a world where people come into mental/physical gifts at a certain age, and depending on their acquiring of those gifts, and which gifts they have, they are separated into different factions. Those with certain gifts are sent and trained, at age 13, to be slaves. Wren is one of those slaves.

Jere is a healer who inherits the Estate of his mentor upon his death, consisting of a medical practice, a large home, and a slave. Jere reluctantly take
Paul
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS
WAY WAY WAY too long and I do love an epic or two but, I'm talking woodchipper here, not a paper shredder.

BUT it's a very unique story that is very well written with bouts of angst but,I'll let them slide too because they're placed well and this is not a nice ride. It's a dystopian U/F in a way but for a change the planet they're on isn't wiped out and it beginning to overpopulate again but this has NOTHING to do with the story.

So basically, since the world's gone tit's up, some peop
Tamela
4 or 5 stars. I was torn. If this is the first book in a series then I give it 5 stars. It's captured my interest enough to make be really think about what I like and how to rate. If this is a one book wonder than it's a 4 star read cuz I didn't get a HEA.... just an HFN.

The characters are fantastic, and I truly liked the world bulding except it was never really understandable why technology no longer works, at all. or rather electronic technology only.

The way they explained how the talents cam
Kailin Morgan
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: erotica
This a slow burn of a book. The development of the two main characters is dealt with in a wonderful way as they learn to live with each other in circumstances neither of them is happy with. Jere, in particular, with his almost obsessive need to do the right thing, keeps me reading.

The world building behind is dealt with just as carefully. Although some things are not explained (the absence of mobile phones/computers), I found it was easy to accept it as part of the way things were, as we find ou
Kathleen
While well written and edited, there was almost no world building. Solid character development, but far too long and way too much sex. Serious issues of slavery highlighted but never resolved. I felt completely let down by the ending. HFN living in a slave state doesn't work for this reader.

Is this the start of a series? If so, I don't think I could survive another book filled with page after page of boring sex scenes.
Joseph Tonlet
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very, very enjoyable!!!
Becky Condit
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
See Lucky's 5 sweet pea review on April 1, 2013 at http://mrsconditreadsbooks.com/index....
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: enjoyed, so-sad, slave
I'll affectionately refer to this as a slave fairytale slory, where in the end everyone lives happily ever after.
KimberlyRose
Excellent slavefic for the most part, but seriously drags when it leaves Wren and Jere behind and gets all political and social commentary.
Chancey Knowles
This is one of those 3.5s I debated when rating. It had solid writing and an interesting storyline exactly as the blurb described. The characters were extremely well done as were the complexities of living in a slave society when opposed. What wasn't done well was the background. It was hinted at and explained enough that I got the gist, but it was very vague. I never clearly understood what happened to cause the Fall etc... The uses and descriptions of the gifts were interesting. This is defini ...more
Teresa
3.5 stars. I loved the fantasy of an unwilling master rescuing a slave. I liked Jere and Wren a lot! It had a nice slow burn and no magic penises. There was interesting world building, no matter how awful the space state was.

However it was much too long and felt dragged out. It takes place over a year and there are large time jumps.

As well, I was expecting some things to happen that never did. Perhaps they will be looked at in the subsequent books but I have no desire to read them.
Spicy
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very gentle and believable hurt/comfort story with wonderful POVs from both main characters.
Reflection
I came across 'Inherent Gifts' by peeking at the shelves of others on Goodreads who share my reading tastes. I am so glad I found it :D

I enjoyed the slow and steady development of a relationship between Jere a healer who finds that he inherits a medical practice, a home and a slave from his college professor, mentor and ex lover Matthias.

Jere's slave Wren has been deeply traumatised by his previous owner Matthias who died in a fire that seriously injured Wren. Jere heals Wren and as a newcomer
Joyfully Jay
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sue
A Joyfully Jay review.

5 stars

I’ve enjoyed Alicia Cameron’s works for some time. I actually read Inherent Gifts some years ago, but never realized it had become a series. So I was thrilled to have a chance to review Inherent Gifts and its sequels, Inherent Risk and Inherent Cost. One of Cameron’s biggest strengths is character development and both Wren and Jere are excellent examples of her incredibly complex and incredibly human characters. Wren is a little more than a broken shell when Jere fi
AE
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
5 stars

Master/slave narratives are some of the best when pulled off right, but it's incredibly hard to find a book that is both sensitive to its bad pasts and indicative of a "happy"/"bittersweet" ending.

And the gold mine of this book is in its evolution, because it gives the characters time to develop! For me, although we had a victim slave, Wren, who is messed up and comes into his own, I find that the evolution found in Jere was captivating. I mean, this is how he starts out: “Listen. Here’
A
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Received for free through an event at the publisher.

I hesitated to give this book even 3 stars. It's well thought out and while the world feels only half built, it is well built. The characters are good and the romance develops nicely, but...

I almost stopped reading at a couple of points because it drags to the point it almost feels like stalling. There seems to be no plot and is more of 400+ pages of slice of life. One character changes more than the other and the romance often trips up with th
~RMG
Aug 17, 2013 rated it liked it
To be honest, a part of me wants to rate this book a bit higher, but there's just something missing that's holding me back. Don't get me wrong, the story was very well written, with memorable main characters and an angst filled plot. I guess it's the ending that's leaving me a bit wanting. I wanted more of an HEA ending and this one felt more like HFN, not between the couple but with the situation they're in currently, as if their happiness can be snatched away from them at any moment. I'd defin ...more
Jenre
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, bdsm, fantasy, m-m
I enjoyed this thoughtful book which gave a different spin to master/slave fiction by looking at the emotional effects of slavery and recovery from abuse. The length of time it took me to read the book is more a reflection of how little time I have had to read recently, and not that the book didn't hold my attention. I may have given it five stars were it not for the fact that the middle of the book got ponderous at times and a bit saggy. A firm edit would have made the book tighter especially d ...more
Christina
Nov 13, 2013 rated it liked it
They could have dealt with the "slavery thing" better Jere pissed me off cuz he's a hypocritical judging asshole he doesn't deserve a prize for at least not hurting anyone and the way he thought of ppl who actually cared about abolishing slavery was like how an omnivore that "loves animals!" But still eats them thinks about vegans ppl that actually care. It really pissed me off when he said he doesn't care, I understand that he has to stay safe to keep wren safe but my god he was passive!
Anne Barwell
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, ebook
4.5 stars. I really enjoyed this story. It's not a fast read but I think that's on of its strengths and what makes the building of the relationship and characters so realistic, especially considering Wren's background. I thought the world building was well imagined and I'm looking forward to reading the sequel.

Took 1/2 a star off as the last few chapters had a bit too much onscreen sex for my liking to the point where I started to skim those bits.
Alice Szczesniak
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved this book, and like others am hoping it is a two parter. The pace to the book was really slow although that's what allowed me to get into the characters and this universe. I really like the writing of this author and have enjoyed other short stories of hers on live journal. Looking forward to more from her.

• Exodus (The House of Silence, #1)
  • Broken Ink
  • In the Blink of an Eye (Juxtapose City 2)
  • From Temptation (Deliver Us, #2)
  • Every Good Thing
  • The Initiation of Pb500 (Pb500, #1)
  • November (November, #1)
  • Cinnamon (Blood Nation, #3)
  • Angel (Angel, #1)
  • Lee's Story (The Slave Breakers, #3)
  • Reifu Rising
  • Twice-Caught (Tarin's World, #2)
  • Retribution (Kingdom of Ara #1)
  • Dominion of the Eth (Wings #2)
  • King of Dublin

Hojer - Inherent Gifts (3 books)
  • Inherent Risk