Start by marking “Melting the Snow on Hester Street” as Want to Read:
Melting the Snow on Hester Street

Melting the Snow on Hester Street

Rich. Beautiful. Damned.

Sumptuously evoking the Golden Age of Hollywood, a time when money is built on greed and love can be a trick of the light, Daisy Waugh’s stunning new novel is a compelling portrait of love, fame, and survival.

It is the blistering summer of 1929 and Hollywood’s glamorous set appear to have it all. Everybody everywhere is living the Hollywood dream, i
Published March 28th 2013 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Melting the Snow on Hester Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Melting the Snow on Hester Street

Davida Chazan
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Max and Eleanor Beecham seem the perfect couple. But their dark past still haunts them both, and it is tearing them apart. You can read my revised review of this historical fiction novel about Hollywood's secrets and pasts here https://tcl-bookreviews.com/2015/05/1...
Miz
Apr 23, 2013 rated it liked it
An easy and entertaining story to read, with a satisfying ending. Just a bit disappointed with the continuous grammatical errors and typos throughout the book, which spoilt it a bit.
Mar 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
I'm afraid I have given up on this one. It's as dull as dishwater and I just can't get into it at all.
Saba
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
I have mixed feelings about this one. It was an easy read but at the same, I didn’t really love any of the characters. The parts dealing with the glitz and glam of Hollywood were a drag for me to read. But at the same time, the New York backstory was intriguing and painful to read. There were way too many grammatical errors in this book though which are always a let down.
Okidoki
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Överraskar. Hon kan skriva, barnbarn till Evelyn Waugh.
Sascha
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. It starts slow and is particularly obfuscating at times, mentioning things that we don't understand until later on in the book. It would make a second reading interesting at any rate.
Sam Still Reading
Nov 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of historical fiction
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: loved the cover and the blurb
I was captivated by the cover of Melting the Snow on Hester Street browsing in Reader’s Feast, Melbourne. I still haven’t got out of my craze for 20’s era fiction, and I loved the way the cover tagline referenced F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Beautiful and Damned. The blurb suggested the book was about the last golden days of Hollywood, before the great stock market crash of 1929. It’s definitely about that, but so much more. The book also goes into great detail about New York life in the early 1900 ...more
Vicki
Oct 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Also posted here: http://lilmissvixreads.blogspot.co.uk

'Rich. Beautiful. Damned.'

The obvious reference in the tagline to F.Scott Fitzgerald, and the glamourous setting of old Hollywood is what drew me to this novel; I have a current obsession with the 1920's and it seemed to fit the bill perfectly. Eleanor and Max Beecham are married Hollywood actors, fast becoming veterans of the business. Wall Street is teetering on the edge, as are their careers and their marriage.

Upon starting the novel I wa
Tripfiction
Oct 20, 2013 rated it liked it
The roaring twenties... The era of Gatsby..... Art Deco....There are a surprising number of novels around at the moment which chart through fiction the life of the people who flooded into America from Europe, especially into New York City and we have picked a couple of novels that really bring the era and city to life.

Melting the Snow on Hester Street absolutely brings the era of early 20th Century America to life, the era of the Great Gatsby and the polarisation of wealth, the seamy side of the
Erika Lindblom
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read2016
Den här boken tyckte jag riktigt mycket om. Jag älskar gammalt Hollywood-skvaller och har får jag verkligen mitt lystmäte. Det viskas, skvallras, bedras, hatas och älskas. Särskilt underhållande var de amerikanska huvudkaraktärernas bild av Greta Garbo som osocial, bångstyrig och egensinnig. Boken består dock inte bara av skvaller utan har en djupare dimension som kontrasterar mot Hollywoods ytlighet. Författaren väver skickligt ihop dessa två verkligheter, och hon har en skärpa och ett driv i s ...more
Saffron
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Saffron by: 9dc18c97@opayq.com
Firstly, this is nothing like the Great Gatsby, the only thing that links the two books is the time scale in the Hollywood section of the story. Secondly, the front cover is misleading to the content, this is not a full on story of glitz and glamour. I would say this is more a story of desperation and desolation.

However, after saying all that, the book is far more intelligent and engaging a read than I was expecting, the New York story felt real and you could feel the deprivation and despair in
Nat
Jan 30, 2015 rated it liked it
I find it hard to read books that use 'real' people (famous) who have lived previously such as Charlie Chapman. It causes me to cringe at how some authors have them speak and use their body language - I find it more believable to read about fictional characters who are easier to associate with and visualise.
Having said that; this book was enjoyable and the story line was pleasant enough. The amount of drama and suspense was adequate and the characters likeable. The era is what attracted me to th
Marguerite Kaye
Oct 26, 2013 rated it liked it
This fell a bit flat for me. It was an interesting story, and there was a lot of story, but there wasn't actually much character, and what there was - it wasn't so much that I disliked them, but I found them self-indulgent and most definitely un-empathetic (if there is such a word) despite their very traumatic past. I did zip through it mind you, as I said, it's a good story, but I also did guess the ending too - it was rather too well-sign-posted. I would have enjoyed this more if the relations ...more
Cynthia
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was not entirely what I expected. The Hollywood stars were all there, with all their decadence and secrets, as indicated on the blurb. But the story about one star, who had particular secrets drew us away from Hollywood that I enjoyed and was not expecting. It did take me a while to settle into the rhythm of the writing, which annoyed me at the beginning but the story drew me in. I had to keep reading to find out what happened.
Hannah
I didn't find it as evocative as it would like to think, although it was an okay read. Glad for the twist at the end; I would've been quite annoyed if it had gone where I thought it was going! I think I would've liked more about the couple's relationship and the effect of the crash, but the description of the fire and way she incorporated it into the story was quite good.
Candy
Dec 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
just couldnt get into this book :(
Helena
Aug 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lättläst och fantasieggande berättelse, om människans förmåga - eller oförmåga - att omskapa sig själv, att berätta en ny berättelse om sig själv, och vilka fälleben det kan sätta för oss.
Jane Taylor
May 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Took a while to get into this book but I then wanted to know what happened. Quite liked how it went forwards and backwards in time. Enjoyed the plot.
Denise
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
fantastic story. kept me turning the pages right until the end. I enjoyed this well researched book very much.
Apurva Shukla
A timid little book filled with the overflowing riches and glamour of the golden age of Hollywood. It contains the decadence of this culture with the market crash, but also a new beginning..
Wendy