Start by marking “Curve Ball” as Want to Read:
Curve Ball

Curve Ball

(Away We Go #1)

When Judy Myers is offered a relaxing vacation to get away from her latest heartbreak, she can’t say no. A cruise on her brother’s yacht sounds like heaven...until she realises her brother’s best friend has been invited along for the ride.

Steven Stark is big, he’s loud, and he’s obviously not interested in the plump, plain little sister he used to tease unmercifully. In
Published January 21st 2013 by Xcite Books

To ask other readers questions about Curve Ball, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Curve Ball

Start your review of Curve Ball
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Full review now posted:

I grabbed this one while it was free, and I did enjoy it, but not as much as I did Doubled and Sheltered. It was funny and sexy, but I've come to expect a bit more steam from Charlotte Stein, and heroes I love, right from the start.

Steve was kind of an ass - no, I take it back, he was definitely an ass, but I did appreciate his explanation towards the end of the story... I guess I would have liked more of an explanation, more redemption, though.

Again, funny, sexy...
Ridley
This is a short little novella so there's not a ton to discuss. It's a girl-carries-a-flame-for-her-older-brother's-friend story featuring a curvy heroine and a muscular hero, but the story is almost inconsequential. The beauty of this book is in the telling.

It's told in first-person present tense from the heroine's point of view, which I typically loathe. Stein, however puts on a clinic for How It Should Be Done. The heroine's personality is front and center, pouring from the little asides and
willaful
A woman goes on vacation with a couple and the guy she hates is invited along... I was afraid at first this was going to be a replay of Stein's Restraint. As it turned out, it kind of is, but in reverse. Here, the narrator Judy is the insecure one whose contempt for her old friend Steve is a mask for her intense attraction. When she blows up at him for making digs at her weight (she thinks), the relationship between them shifts dramatically.

Judy, who lies somewhere in the ill-defined land of
Camille Adams

Lendle loan.

Every time I commit to clearing my Kindle I get multiple Lendle loans :-)

Well this was typical Stein: hot, visceral sex; lots of imaginative internal dialogue; wonderful 1st person POV; humour. Oh yeah, and the visceral sex, did I mention that, which always ensures I enjoy her work.

This was cute but I took off points for a little of the fat girl low self esteem gambit. (Do all big women have confidence issues?) And I took off for the balance tipping toward interiority a bit too
Linda
May 08, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The story consisted of neurotic stream-of-consciousness ramblings and sex fantasies with characters who were neither interesting nor particularly likeable. The narrator certainly had a sense of humor, but her complete lack of self-esteem too often tipped her from self-deprecating but relatable to simply pathetic. The other characters, including Steven and the brother, were poorly developed and off-putting. Really, what kind of guys talk about previous conquests, describing body attributes, in ...more
Stacy
Nov 14, 2013 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: ebooks
As short as this was, I just couldn't get through it.

First, the writing was not great. Sentences like:

You could times his ideal size by seven and still not get where I’m at.

and:

‘Because I’m not exactly known for being contrite?’ he suggests, though the moment he has I know that’s not the case.

The first sentence, while understandable, is just ugly. The second example doesn't even make sense.

The non-stop internal self-deprecating dialog got very old, very fast. Yes, we get it. You're a large
...
Jan 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: erotica
This one didn't hit it out of the park for me. I'm generally a huge fan of Charlotte's work, but this one missed the mark. Between the heroine's lack of self-esteem and abundance of inner thoughts to the hero coming off as a jackass in the beginning, I just didn't fall in love with these characters like I normally do with her work.

However, it was short, ended on a sweet note, and the sex scenes were as good as I've come to expect from her work.
Marran
uh no...a bad storyline and I don't like the way it's written..I will not read this author again...

this is labeled as an erotic novella..but there is nothing erotic about this, there is hardly any sex in this and the sex there is aren't good..
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hawt-sex
Really liked this one. Slow burn attraction between the H/h. Heroine with believable body issues but not consumed by them. Serious hot sexy scene. Not five stars because i wish it'd been longer.
Lisa

This book is just one example of why I love Charlotte Stein's work. Her writing - especially in this book - has that great blend of super-quirky-hilarious and super-hot.

Sunshiny Me
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free
so basically ms stein needs to just write me all the bks. plz & ty. (and I got this free on amazon yesterday!!!)
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
Judy knew coming on a boating holiday with her brother and his wife was a mistake as soon as Steven, her brother's best friend, stepped on board. He has always teased her, killing the secret love she had for him since she was teenager. But something has changed, was Steven actually flirting with her?

This was my second read by Charlotte Stein, my first being Sheltered and I am pleased to say that I enjoyed this book just as much. Curve Ball immediately drew me in with the POV of Judy, she was my
Beth Thomas
4.5 stars. I need to say I just love Charlotte Stein. Her writing is just so real and honest. Her characters are awesomely flawed and vulnerable. There are some books I read and I feel so bad about myself thinking the characters are so perfect in looks and actions. When I read Charlotte's book I feel connected to the characters. I only gave this a 4.5 because I wish it were longer. Charlotte you are a 5 in my book.
Anesha †Curious & Obsessive Bookworm†
Mmmm, it's a good, funny read tbh..and I love opposite attract scenarios.

One thing I disliked was the repetitive feel, the lack of dialogue (I love interactions so sue me for hating on reading first POV pages upon pages)

Rebekah Weatherspoon
I wish there had been more dialogue.
Aisha
Jun 12, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow!! That was a waste of time! ...more
LPJ
Jun 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Completely wacky novella. Charlotte Stein warned us on her blog that this book was very "her." Totally bonkers narrative voice: check. Lots of inner monologue: check. Not quite enough dialogue: check. She understands and readily admits that this type of thing isn't for everyone.

While I did really wish that these two characters did a lot more communicating, my main issue with the story came in the form of the love interest, Steven Stark. I didn't get the attraction at all, he seemed like an
Eleanor (The Book Hammock)
I'm still giggling from this one.

Judy's bother, Jason, invites her on a vacation with his wife and his best friend, Steven.
As it turns out, Judy's had a crush on Steven for the better part of the last 10 years, and Steven has been a revolving door for floozies for the same amount of time, give or take.
So it only makes sense that Judy gets annoyed with Steven when he talks about past conquests, and it makes sense that when she's trying to avoid him, Steven pretty much attacks her. But attacks
Kelly
Love Amazon freebies and love that it was not half bad.
The sex scenes were well written and I really enjoyed the premise of Judy and Steves story I just wished the converesed more. Most of the book is Judys POV via her inner dialouge.
A couple things that were a miss for me.
Although I appreciated that this heroine is a curvy girl I just wished she evolved into her skin, she was so down on her body. I found I liked her most when her cheeky side came out around Steven.
In addition, something was
Amanda S.
Not sure if I enjoyed this book.

I do liked the major plot, it's simple and I just look forward to read it. But, the way Charlotte Stein wrote, to me, is a bit confusing. Almost like I have to read another book before I read this one. Not to mention, there are too many inner talk from heroine's side and lack of real conversation between characters. What a shame.

I wish it could be better.
Sam
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not what I expected. The book had a lot of potential but there were too many annoying issues. The... main character- I don’t want to call her a heroine- goes on long internal rants that I mostly skimmed or skipped. Not a page goes by that she does whine about her weight and worthlessness ad a woman. It got old real fast. The author had a lot of overkill in her writing - we don’t need two paragraphs about a random tourist’s aging hair.
Cyn Mistress Kitty
2.5 Stars
This story was just ehhh for me which is unusual for me since I love CS's books.
Judy the heroine was just too neurotic and had zero self esteem. All her in her head ramblings made me lost to the point that I was thinking, what was I just reading and now who is talking? Very confusing. I just couldn't really care about any of the characters. Very strange story.
SuperWendy
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved this short novella. Nobody writes anticipation and passion quite like Stein. Sexy, steamy, and not just an endless parade of mindless kink because that's supposedly "hot." Real passion. Real tension. Me gripping my Kindle yelling out loud "OMG, when are they going to kiss already!?!?!?" Highly recommended.
Celia
I won't harass you again about how great Ms Stein is (she's the best writer [as in her writing is magic] & a favorite author, damn I did it anyway!!), so just read this book. You know you want to! It's really hot and fun, read it for the yummy ride this book is!

That's it, seriously read it!
Ana Trofin
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
aaawww people that have known all their lives suddenly discover they actually want to be with each other :) such a cute little story that made my Friday fun :)
Anna
Jun 30, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Could barely finish two chapters, it was just awful! If there was a minus rating, I would have used it for this novella. It's terrible quick read, please don't waste your time.
Judy
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a Charlotte Stein novella so of course there are many "feels" inside. You experience the insecurity, rage, humiliation and anticipation right along with the heroine. The heroine being Judy who goes on a boat trip with her brother and his girlfriend not knowing he's bringing their childhood friend Steven along as well. Judy had a crush on Steven growing up but knew he'd never look twice at her because she's plus size not model sized. Avoiding on a tiny boat is impossible and Steven is ...more
Grace
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute very short story featuring a curvy protagonist who is confused when her crush, who she thinks says some disdainful things about a fat girl he was with, starts perusing her, only to go cold right after they seem to gel.
A cutesy happy ending, but I liked it overall.
Bianca Mori
Also OK. The heroine's neurosis was a little grating especially in a novella this short, but the expected heat from a Charlotte Stein book was there, which wrapped it all up nicely for me.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Tikka Chance on Me
  • Teach Me (There's Something About Marysburg, #1)
  • Misadventures of a Curvy Girl (Misadventures #18)
  • Open Hearts
  • One Bed for Christmas (Baldwin Village, #0.5)
  • Fit (Fit Trilogy #1)
  • Written on His Skin
  • Elements of Chemistry (Hypothesis, #1; Elements of Chemistry, #1-3)
  • Unsolicited Duke Pic
  • Willing Captive
  • His Laughing Girl (British Billionaire Boss #2)
  • Xeni (Loose Ends #2)
  • Captivated
  • Temptations of a Wallflower (The Wicked Quills of London, #3)
  • His Secretary: Undone (A Novel Deception, #1)
  • Toxic Desire (Planet of Desire #1)
  • Guilty Pleasures (Guilty, #1)
  • A Valentine's Dream
Charlotte Stein is the RT and DABWAHA nominated author of over fifty short stories, novellas and novels. When not writing deeply emotional and intensely sexy books, she can be found eating jelly turtles, watching terrible sitcoms and occasionally lusting after hunks. For more on Charlotte, visit: www.charlottestein.net

Away We Go (2 books)
  • Restraint
“It’s just … You know. You drive me crazy. You’ve always driven me crazy."

I think my mind is now all over the floor.

"And you don’t think it might have been a good idea to maybe tell me this? I’ve spent the last ten years pining for you like an idiot, you idiot.”
2 likes
“Not to mention the effect of Steven Stark, and his ability to be absolutely everywhere, all at once. I turn around and he’s right there, like the Incredible Hulk. Only bigger. Oh God, he’s so big that his presence everywhere is practically a law of physics. He has to be in ten places at once, just to cram in his massive pecs.” 0 likes